4:3 upconvert? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2008, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the Lg BH200, it kept freezing up after a week---I took it back to Best Buy and got the Samsung Up-5000. Will we ever see any type of firmware for these 2 models that will enable upconversion for 4:3? ---and be able to watch it in that aspect ratio? They both upconvert--but they stretch the image to a 16x9. The only way to do it-on both models--is switch to 480p output, which is not upconverting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 328
As far as the Samsung goes, IMO I dont think we'll ever see a firmware that shows 4:3 material upconverted in 4:3 mode...It will always be stretched....While I heard rumors that the 1500 is supposed to do both, I just dont see Samsung "fixing" this as they dont see it as a flaw...

Not sure on the LG side though....
post #3 of 6 Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

They both upscale 4:3 but then stretch it to a 16:9 aspect ratio. As I understand it both LG and Samsung don't consider it a bug, so you'll have to either:

1. Use a different TV - All TVs have a Display mode but some must handshake differently with the LG/Samsung and not display it's operation. On my TV the button still works.
2. Output using 480p/576p - This shouldn't be as big a deal as you think, your TV upscales the picture anyway

I appreciate neither are ideal but they're likely to be the foreseeable options.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Yeah, if only Vizio had come out with their 1080p plasma with the REON as they announced....but no...they had to cut back...maybe next year.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

1. Use a different TV - All TVs have a Display mode but some must handshake differently with the LG/Samsung and not display it's operation. On my TV the button still works.

It's not handshake problem. A lot of earlier HDTVs lock those operations out once they see HD signal because TV designers think all HD signals have to be 16x9 and there is no reason for end users to adjust it otherwise (which in turn can cut down the unnecessary tech support calls ($$) from idiot customers who think their TV were broken).

Newer HDTVs start to offer this type of aspect ratio adjustment even with HD signals.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-04-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I must've been lucky. My Samsung LCD TV is part of the UK/European (it could be either) 2005 range. I bought it shortly after release in 2005.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page