Only One Channel Surround Back Input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2008, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Sony receiver has Surround Back decoding but just for one center speaker. Can I use an RCA "Y" connector to splice the Left/Right Surround Back outputs on my BD-UP5000 or should I just use the Left as many Amps say to use for Mono?

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are you talking about the analog outputs?

I've never heard of a receiver with 7 analog inputs. Usually there is 6 or 8 for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. If you receiver does have 7 analog inputs then yes, you could use a y adaptor on the rear surrounds of the 5000. That way both of the rear channels of a 7.1 soundtrack would be directed to your rear center speaker.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

My receiver must have been built during the transition from 5.1 to 7.1. It is Sony STR-DE985 and the manual even calls it 6.1. It has multi-channel inputs, but until now I never had a device that called for them.

I am going to fire them up now because now I can and I don't know how the receiver deals with 7.1 through S/PDIF. I can select Rear Surround Off/Auto/Matrix but don't know what it does to the Rears on a 7.1 signal. Does it ignore it or mix it into the the Sorrounds?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post

My receiver must have been built during the transition from 5.1 to 7.1. It is Sony STR-DE985 and the manual even calls it 6.1. It has multi-channel inputs, but until now I never had a device that called for them.

I am going to fire them up now because now I can and I don't know how the receiver deals with 7.1 through S/PDIF. I can select Rear Surround Off/Auto/Matrix but don't know what it does to the Rears on a 7.1 signal. Does it ignore it or mix it into the the Sorrounds?

I have the Sony STR-DE895... (Did you reverse numbers in your model or do you really have a 985?).. When I connected mine to the analog on the Samsung I just used the left channel. I didn't even think about trying to "mix" both channels for the surround back channel. I'll have to consider that at some point and see if I can hear a difference.

I don't have any of the "legacy" codecs with a 7.1 surround track... only newer codecs that my receiver can't decode or the uncompressed PCM... so I don't actually know what would happen if I fed a 7.1 track through it. All of those end up sending either a 6.1 "legacy" hidden track or 2-channel PCM via bitstream... and for those I obviously go ahead and switch to the analog to get the better sound.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I know there are 6.1 receivers. I have one, Yamaha RX-V1. It will use the rear center when the receiver is decoding a DD/DTS 6.1 soundtrack. Those are rare. It will also matix in the rear center with a 5.1 soundtrack. My receiver only has 6 channel analog inputs. It won't use the rear center when I am using those inputs.

What I am talking about is the multi channel analog inputs on the receiver. Do you have 6, 7 or 8 inputs? 6 channel will have left front, right front, center, surround left, surround right, and subwoofer. 8 channel adds rear left and rear right. Maybe you do have 7 inputs but I've never heard of that. I've never seen a player with 7 ouputs.

If your receiver does infact have 7 channel inputs, I doubt it, then you could use a y adaptor on the 5000. That way both rear channels will be played through the one rear channel of your receiver. This only applies when you are decoding a 7.1 audio track. Since there aren't that many movies with 7.1 True HD I don't think it is that big of a deal. If the 5000 decoded DTS MA then I would be more interested since there are more and more 7.1 tracks in that format.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Got a little lost there but I have a BD-UP5000 with eight outputs - L,C,R, SR, SL, SRR, SLR, and SW. My amp has just seven inputs being there is just a single input Surround Back that I will "Y" connect my left and right rear surrounds into.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Same here, though I'm too lazy to climb behind things again and add a y-cable... I most definately have 6.1 analog inputs (7 connections) to my audio receiver.

IF anyone hasn't seen this before, then you must either have an older receiver or a newer one. At the time I bought mine (roughly 2003 I believe) the 7.1 systems were just starting to come out and I think I only saw one system with an HDMI connector then as well. Even 6.1 was overkill then as nothing was out with more than 5.1 surround at that point for the home user.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 08-02-2008, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post

Got a little lost there but I have a BD-UP5000 with eight outputs - L,C,R, SR, SL, SRR, SLR, and SW. My amp has just seven inputs being there is just a single input Surround Back that I will "Y" connect my left and right rear surrounds into.

That should work.