Why isn't the LG BH200 in the UK? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-19-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know the LG BH200 is available in Amercia, but does anyone know when, or even if, it will be released in the UK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
It's been discontinued, so the chances of it seeing a release *anywhere* it hasn't already are around 0.0000000001%.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-19-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

It has been available in The UK but it's very, very rare and next to impossible to find. It's probably all sold out now. Argos (big UK catalogue shop) had it for sale.

Samsung never bothered to sell their BD-UP5000. Only the LG BH100 has been readily available in The UK.

Sadly LG had no faith in their Combos products outside of North America, where the market is much bigger. America alone has roughly the same people as the entire continent of Europe but Europe is lots of little countries, whereas America is one big market.

Combos sadly got a bad reputation so LG only decided to sell the BH200 in very limited numbers. The cost of producing a Combo Player is higher than a BD Player too meaning they had to either sell them at a price point most don't want to pay or sell at a loss (which is currently the case).

I heard a few months back that they'd only sell them to UK retailers in batches of a dozen and that was simply to risk for most retailers.

It is however easily available on eBay.com to The UK or several Mainland European stores in Belgium and Switzerland:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756827

I bought mine from Belgium as I wanted a guaranteed warranty and no power supply issues. It even came with a warranty specifically mentioning the UK.

It's much cheaper imported from America but your warranty will probably be void and you'll need a voltage converter.
post #4 of 19 Old 08-21-2008, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I bought mine from Belgium as I wanted a guaranteed warranty and no power supply issues. It even came with a warranty specifically mentioning the UK.

Thanks for the info.

Just to clear things up: If I import it from anywhere in Europe, I won't have power supply issues? I can plug it into sockets here and it'll be OK?

Secondly, can you give me the name or link of the site your bought it from?

Thanks
post #5 of 19 Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Correct. All of Europe uses the same power voltage.

You'll need a UK 3-Prong plug adapter or different cable (I'm using an old VCR cable) but otherwise the UK (or Ireland) is no different from any other part of Europe.

The company is in the link posted above but sadly they no longer stock it -

http://www.iishop.be/bh200-bh-200-bl...er-p-1109.html

Have a read through the link I above, others have mentioned other European stores, some in Switzerland. If you buy from anywhere in The Americas you'll need a step down converter from the 100-110v to 200-220v range. It's best to ask in that link above as the guys there have experiance of what step down converter or supplier to buy from.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Thats a pity....I will be in Belgium in October and would love to pick one of these up......I don't want the whole convertor hassle either.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-23-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:

The company is in the link posted above but sadly they no longer stock it -

http://www.iishop.be/bh200-bh-200-bl...er-p-1109.html

Yep, the shop above is out of stock

I live in switzerland and have mine bought from a swiss shop which is unfortunately not selling outside of switzerland. But I know some german guys who ordered the LG in switzerland at the following shop which is shipping also outside of switzerland:

https://www.dvdupgrades.ch/product/D...er/137892.html

So, this is perhaps the last shop in europe stocking the LG and shipping it "world-wide"

Greetings from switzerland
AlfaGT
post #8 of 19 Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

So if I import it from Europe, what about the Firmware updates? If I connect the player to my phone line with the ethernet cable, will I still be able to download firmware updates?
post #9 of 19 Old 08-30-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post

So if I import it from Europe, what about the Firmware updates? If I connect the player to my phone line with the ethernet cable, will I still be able to download firmware updates?

In general: All hardware and software (firmware) is identical worldwide. One exception is the different power-unit (110V/220V). So means: All the region settings, PAL output etc. is set in a hidden EEPROM-menu. Hardware is identical, but LG is changing the settings in this menu for the different markets. Lucky us, some genius found out how to activate this menus

Updating firmware with network-function works on both units (USA & EU player) BUT ONLY, when the Blu-ray Region is set to A (USA). Don't ask why, but updating via network only works when Region is set to A (on both units). I think LG only "activated" this feature on US-players and linked it to the Region-Setting

Means: All the possibilities are the same whatever unit you buy (US or EU). I think it's more a question of price. Importing one from switzerland is likely more expensive than importing one from USA (ebay). Besides, I think there are only 3 countries left with official BH200 support (USA, Canada & Switzerland). The Benelux-countries and England are out of business. In all other EU-countries the LG was never official available.

But don't be so limited, it's also a very easy way to make updates with CD-R or (easier) with a USB-stick. All Firmware can be found in this forum (Mini-FAQ thread from bradavon) or on the official LG service-page.

Cheers
post #10 of 19 Old 08-30-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post

If I connect the player to my phone line with the ethernet cable, will I still be able to download firmware updates?

Possibly. In theory it should work but I don't know of any examples where someone in Europe has downloaded firmware over Ethernet.

I've always been to impatient and haven't bothered waiting . I've downloaded it to a USB Stick before it's been uploaded to the Ethernet accessible Servers. There's a delay from being available on the Web to the Servers the Ethernet port accesses.

In short though: Yes you'll be able to to get all firmware upgrades. The firmware on the USA and the many European websites is the exact same file.
post #11 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:

Correct. All of Europe uses the same power voltage.

Not really. Most of the European countries have 230 V, some have 220 V and a few, UK, Cyprus, and Malta, have 240 V nominal voltage.

Sanpietro
post #12 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 06:56 AM

The 220 to 240 voltage issue is not an issue, all electronics products in Europe should work with all the above mentioned voltages.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-05-2008, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Exactly, the exact value is just semantics. There's no need to be that picky when it works across the board anyway.

I wasn't being that specific with my comment above.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-09-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardustOne View Post

The 220 to 240 voltage issue is not an issue, all electronics products in Europe should work with all the above mentioned voltages.

Yes, they work, but running a 220 V equipment constantly on 240 V shortens its lifetime.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 AM

I think the question where to buy an european player is irrelevant now.

Unfortunately, Switzerland is out of stock now too. So I think there is no european country remaining, stocking and shipping EU Players. Sorry.

Only chance to find an EU player can be ebay. Anyone searching for an EU player, I advise to order a US player on ebay. Probably last chance to get one.

And again: There is no difference in hardware and firmware between the two versions. Put in the DVD-Region-hack CD-R to set it to region-free mode, enter the EEPROM menu and activate PAL-output on a US player and switch to any Blu-ray Region you want. Quick and simple.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The USA models have a different PSU, requiring a voltage converter in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanpietro View Post

Yes, they work, but running a 220 V equipment constantly on 240 V shortens its lifetime.

That's really not what we meant. The exact value is semantics, it will work.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-10-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaGT View Post

And again: There is no difference in hardware and firmware between the two versions.

Quote:

The USA models have a different PSU, requiring a voltage converter in Europe.

Yeah sorry, I didn't mention this detail in my last post. Apart from that the hardware is identical

But, half the discussion in this thread is mentioning the converter thing, so I thought this should be clear.

Thanks
post #18 of 19 Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanpietro View Post

The European LG is 230V, it is specced for use in all of Europe.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-11-2008, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

I can see that some might have an issue with a step-down trafo (220-110V), but I have one of these babies and can't say that a tiny box behind my HT system is a problem.
You only need typically a 50W step-down (as the BH200 needs 25W), and they are tiny (4x5x3cm big) with a US connector so you can just connect the player directly.

They are not expensive either. I got mine for £18 last year. I have later found cheaper ones.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page