post #31 of 47 Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent post. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

The 200 & REON playback of SD DVD is = in quality, just not = in style/look.
The reviews have the REON w/a sharper/stronger PQ & the 200 w/a smoother/softer PQ.
So its a personal and/or system/source choice between the two.

I prefer softer, can you tell, cause to me its more film-like.
However, those that wish their, especial digital, displays too show every hard edge go REON.
Or, if one had a 'softer' , especially analog/rear projection, display the REON may bring up detail.
I'm a plasma fan, so the 200 takes the digital edge off, for me anyway.

Good luck & welcome to combo land!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 PM

Liked: 11
Hooked it up, threw Beowulf in and tada - no go. Did firmware update with usb drive and 5 minutes later Beowul, Harry Potter 5, and Sea Biscuit all look beautiful. Put in Sd version of Beowulf and surprisingly good, but then it looked very good on the HD-A2. So I tried my Sd copy of Transformers which was noticably softer than the HD-DVD version with the HD-A2. It's still not as good as the HD-DVD on the LG, but wow, it is very good. I'd go so far as to say it looks about as good as Cinemax has been showing on their HD feed (TW compresses that channel bad). So with some quick disc changes and comparisons, on my 96" screen fed a 720p signal, the LG BH-200 upscales noticably better than the HD-A2. HD-DVD's look equivalent to the HD-A2 as I really don't notice a difference between the players and without having them on at the same time, I don't think anybody would. I suspect Blu-Ray will also be just as good as any other Blu-Ray player out there.
post #33 of 47 Old 08-30-2008, 06:06 AM

Liked: 14
Well, I wanted one of these but if it stretches 4x3 content then that's a deal-breaker for me. Are there any plans for this to be fixed in a firmware update?
post #34 of 47 Old 08-30-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Sadly I doubt it. LG or Samsung have never admitted it's a problem. I even read LG consider it "there by design". There are workaround though to get SD out as 4:3 and it doesn't effect all TVs.

On my Samsung LCD TV I can choose the 4:3 mode just fine, hopefully when I upgrade my TV to Full HD it will also continue to work.
post #35 of 47 Old 08-31-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB GAMER View Post

Hell Yea. Actually price matched my unit yesterday. 399 - 12% BB Rewards coupon + 25 dollar gift card. Not bad for one of the best HD-DVD players made and Profile 2 compliant verry soon so i can play quiz show on MIB online.

How can you say it is one of the best HD DVD players around? I have an XA2 and I am sorry but so far just as an HD DVD player, this LG is falling flat on its face. Going through my collection the disc issues are piling up. This is like 1st gen HD DVD players before the fw updates.
post #36 of 47 Old 08-31-2008, 11:33 AM

Despite the fact that the LG BH200 has some issues with HD DVDs that all of you should please report to LG rather than discussing those in detail here without LG knowing about, it is indeed one of the best HD DVD players available. I own two HD-XE1, that is the European version of the HD-XA2.

The HD-XE1 is a bit crippled by Toshiba since firmware 2.8. It can't even output 1080p/24 Hz when it is set to Frame Rate Auto (which is required so that you can play back Pal DVDs without severe stuttering). All you get with framerate auto is 1080p , no 24 Hz. Plus the fan is too noisy. In addition, the HD-XE1 has the shutdown bug (at least a lot do, one of mine has), sorry this is not what qualifies it as better than the LG BH200 per se. A Reon and a QDEO processor? I suppose well it's about the same, both are great.

By contrast, the LG BH200 does not shut down at random and it plays back my Pal DVDs without stutter plus I get 1080p/24hz with my HD DVDs without having to change this in the setup menu. And it is whisper quiet.

The edge enhancement of the Reon is indeed fantastic My 2 cents: The Toshiba HD-XE1 is great but not that great. I own both, I like the LG BH200 a little bit better. Still hoping for firmware fixes for both.
post #37 of 47 Old 08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

OK I said "just as an HD DVD player". So all your PAL woes and such really do not apply. I have an XA2 with fw 2.7 and it has never shut down on me and plays every HD DVD in my collection flawlessly. Sorry to hear you got a bum unit. Maybe you should get it fixed/replaced like others have.
post #38 of 47 Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 PM

Already sent it to Toshiba for repairs. But I doubt that they are able to repair it, they don't even know what a shutdown bug is here in Switzerland. and they do not replace faulty HD-XE1 players either. They probably simply return it and say it works as designed.

Did your HD-XA2 play the US HD DVD Eastern Promises? My two Toshibas HD-XE1 refused to play beyond 7 minutes and 36 seconds. Got an error from the players. The LG BH200 played this disc flawlessly. My 2nd HD DVD that the Toshibas can't play but the LG BH200 can. But I agree, usually it is vice versa, I also have my share of LG BH200 playback issues test HD DVDs .
post #39 of 47 Old 08-31-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I rented Eastern Promises HD DVD and it played perfectly on my XA2. It is on my short HD DVD Want List. I never updated past 2.7 because everything was working perfect and all the reports of new issues, why would I? My player is out of warranty soon so I do not want to mess with it.

On the topic of the BH200 as a DVD player, I have to say I am impressed. I am one of the few here I'm sure that appreciates the auto stretch of 4:3 DVD. The PQ is way better than I had expected and I can't lie, looks noticeably better than the Denon DVD-955 (2910) that I was using in the bedroom before on my 42" plasma. The ol' Denon, sittin on the bench again, haha. It keeps getting sidelined and even did like a 6 month bid in my closet. Oh well, it is a nice backup machine. I probably will never sell it.

These HD DVD problems on the LG are irkin me though. I will have to hit LG up on Tues and put a bug in their ear.
post #40 of 47 Old 08-31-2008, 08:28 PM
T2k

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Well, I wanted one of these but if it stretches 4x3 content then that's a deal-breaker for me. Are there any plans for this to be fixed in a firmware update?

FYI: I'm not sure how much it helps you but when I watched a PAL disc @1080p50 last time I watched it in 4:3 with the help of my scaler.
post #41 of 47 Old 08-31-2008, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Annecdotal but I noticed my SD plays better @ 720p than 1080i on my plasma.
Totally opposite when I was using the Tosh A30.

Not sure which has the right of way in terms of conversion.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #42 of 47 Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

Annecdotal but I noticed my SD plays better @ 720p than 1080i on my plasma.
Totally opposite when I was using the Tosh A30.

Not sure which has the right of way in terms of conversion.

Whichever looks best to YOU is the right way. 720p sets often look better than 1080i/p sets with SD content because the upscale so well.
post #43 of 47 Old 09-01-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by enormus View Post

Whichever looks best to YOU is the right way. 720p sets often look better than 1080i/p sets with SD content because the upscale so well.

Very well put - I agree.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #44 of 47 Old 09-04-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by enormus View Post

Well, they only have half as many pixels to upscale. It kind of lowers the bar, no?

I've been meaning to call LG, but my girlfriend's been sick. I had to get new tires for my car, etc. (Don't ask.) Hopefully, I can connect with them tomorrow.

Sorry, but the BH200 is just an okay HD DVD player. It has way too many issues with non-mainstream titles, imports and Shooter/Clerks II.

My A20 may have 1080p issues, but it plays pretty much every HD DVD I've thrown at it--nearly 300 titles.
post #45 of 47 Old 09-04-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post

I think SD playback is very good on the BH200. I just wish they'd fix the 4:3 stretch issue.

I keep seeing people mention this. Why don't you use the viewing mode on your TV to put it into the proper 4:3 look. Or does that do something completely different?
post #46 of 47 Old 09-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post

I keep seeing people mention this. Why don't you use the viewing mode on your TV to put it into the proper 4:3 look. Or does that do something completely different?

Yeah, I didn't realize that would work. I've since tried that and it seems to work fine. The only pain is having to switch the TV setting back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 depending on content.

Go ahead, take a Chill Pill.
post #47 of 47 Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 PM

On my Panasonic 42" plasma, throwing the plasma's aspect ratio to 4:3 only *partially* corrects the problem. Within that 4:3 frame, the video is still noticeably stretched. I have to take a second step and set the BH200's output to 480i or 480p. Way too many gymnastics to watch a standard DVD, or 4:3 extras on a movie DVD (not to mention that, by going into the BH200 menu, the disc automatically stops and you have to once again go through disc boot-up, the FBI warning, etc., just to watch something the way it is intended. LG, this is not "normal" nor acceptable.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page