Samsung BD-UP5000 Audio Settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-22-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a Samsung BD-UP5000 (upgraded to firmware version 1.3) and need help on the settings:

I have an HDMI Receiver (Yamaha RX-V1700), but it does not have any of the new High Defintion Sound Formats; what should I choose for audio ouput if I want to take advantage of the new audio stuff?

PCM or: Bitstream (Re-encode or Audiophile)?

Also, My TV is 1080i native, and my HDMI receiver (Yamaha RX-V1700) can pass a 1080p signal; what is the best video setting to use?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Barrett View Post

Just got a Samsung BD-UP5000 (upgraded to firmware version 1.3) and need help on the settings:

I have an HDMI Receiver (Yamaha RX-V1700), but it does not have any of the new High Defintion Sound Formats; what should I choose for audio ouput if I want to take advantage of the new audio stuff?

PCM or: Bitstream (Re-encode or Audiophile)?

Also, My TV is 1080i native, and my HDMI receiver (Yamaha RX-V1700) can pass a 1080p signal; what is the best video setting to use?

Thanks!

If you want a setting that will work for all (or at least most) discs without having to change setup settings, use PCM. The player will then decode the selected track and pass the audio to the receiver as PCM. With 1.3 firmware the 5000 will decode everything but DTS HD (MA and HR). With those formats, you get the DTS 5.1 core that's embedded in the format.

Kevin Windrem
post #3 of 11 Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwindrem View Post

If you want a setting that will work for all (or at least most) discs without having to change setup settings, use PCM. The player will then decode the selected track and pass the audio to the receiver as PCM. With 1.3 firmware the 5000 will decode everything but DTS HD (MA and HR). With those formats, you get the DTS 5.1 core that's embedded in the format.

Thanks. Thought the FW 1.3 was supposed to include DTS HD-MA, HR?
post #4 of 11 Old 08-25-2008, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
No, it only bitstreams DTS HD-MA and HR.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwindrem View Post

So, as you said, the player (5000) will decode most sound formats, except for DTS HD; Good info, but then what do I generally do with my Yamaha Receiver, as far as what sound formats I select, since the player is doing the decoding? Should it be set as a direct-through, or do I do I select a dolby or DTS format that is closest to the disc's sound or what? Any suggestions?
post #6 of 11 Old 09-08-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So, as you said, the player (5000) will decode most sound formats, except for DTS HD; Good info, but then what do I generally do with my Yamaha Receiver, as far as what sound formats I select, since the player is doing the decoding? Should it be set as a direct-through, or do I do I select a dolby or DTS format that is closest to the disc's sound or what? Any suggestions?

So, as you said, the player (5000) will decode most sound formats, except for DTS HD; Good info, but then what do I generally do with my Yamaha Receiver, as far as what sound formats I select, since the player is doing the decoding? Should it be set as a PCM direct-through, or do I do I select a dolby or DTS format that is closest to the disc's sound or what? Any suggestions?
post #7 of 11 Old 09-08-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

So, as you said, the player (5000) will decode most sound formats, except for DTS HD; Good info, but then what do I generally do with my Yamaha Receiver, as far as what sound formats I select, since the player is doing the decoding? Should it be set as a PCM direct-through, or do I do I select a dolby or DTS format that is closest to the disc's sound or what? Any suggestions?

Use a direct mode, not an additional DTS or DD mode. The player has done all the hard work for the audio encodes, and the 5.1 (or 7.1 if you have that) LPCM signal is as close to source as possible.

This assumes you just want the audio reproduced at the speakers as original as possible. If you have 7.1 speakers and want to matrix a 5.1 mix to those rears, you might find a PLxII mode that might work on your receiver (which I'm not familiar with, so I have no idea if it has those modes). And if you want additional hall effects/reverb, then have at it with the settings until you find what you like.

On the topic of video: is your TV actually 1080i native like a CRT? Or does it just support 1080i but displays 720 or 768 lines of LCD or plasma? If the former, select the 1080i output, if the latter you might want to try either 1080p (if the TV takes it) or just 720p - whichever looks better to you.

IMHO, YMMV, AFAIK,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Use a direct mode, not an additional DTS or DD mode. The player has done all the hard work for the audio encodes, and the 5.1 (or 7.1 if you have that) LPCM signal is as close to source as possible.

This assumes you just want the audio reproduced at the speakers as original as possible. If you have 7.1 speakers and want to matrix a 5.1 mix to those rears, you might find a PLxII mode that might work on your receiver (which I'm not familiar with, so I have no idea if it has those modes). And if you want additional hall effects/reverb, then have at it with the settings until you find what you like.

On the topic of video: is your TV actually 1080i native like a CRT? Or does it just support 1080i but displays 720 or 768 lines of LCD or plasma? If the former, select the 1080i output, if the latter you might want to try either 1080p (if the TV takes it) or just 720p - whichever looks better to you.

IMHO, YMMV, AFAIK,

shinksma

Thanks for your help. On the topic of video: My TV is a Panasonic Viera TH50PX600U with 1,366x768 resolution. It can accept 1080p signals, but I think, to your point, it must convert them to 1080i, or 720p. I am not sure about this. Maybe you know, given the information I just sent you? When you reply, I will try the 720p setting, which I have not done yet.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-16-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

Thanks for your help. On the topic of video: My TV is a Panasonic Viera TH50PX600U with 1,366x768 resolution. It can accept 1080p signals, but I think, to your point, it must convert them to 1080i, or 720p. I am not sure about this. Maybe you know, given the information I just sent you? When you reply, I will try the 720p setting, which I have not done yet.

Your TV is 720p/768p native. Send it 1080p because Sammy 5K contains a better de-interlacing chip(Reon) in the player then your TV. Let your TV scale it down to 720p/768p. Typically, 6xx generation of Panny Plasmas show better results when feeding higher res (1080i or 1080p) than 720p.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Your TV is 720p/768p native. Send it 1080p because Sammy 5K contains a better de-interlacing chip(Reon) in the player then your TV. Let your TV scale it down to 720p/768p. Typically, 6xx generation of Panny Plasmas show better results when feeding higher res (1080i or 1080p) than 720p.

Thanks again. Have tried sending a 1080p signal, and although it looks good, the black areas are grainy and snowy. Sending a 1080i signal clears this up, but there are fewer shades of "black" for sure (i.e. black does not seem to contain different shades of gray), so I will continue testing?!
post #11 of 11 Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
No. You need calibrate your TV using a calibration disc. Unfortunately, your TV may not pass BTB in 1080p mode. So calibrating in 1080p mode may be difficult. I have a Panny DLP and 37PX60U, neither can pass BTB in 1080p mode. Works fine in 1080i.

The grainy and snowy is common for Plasma TV. It's not the fault of anything. Plasma TVs use dithering technique to display more shades than the panel can actual produce. This is often found in dark areas. If you watch TV in normal viewing distance, it is not noticeable if properly calibrated. Of course, if you watch it at very close distance, there is nothing you can do to avoid it.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page