Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

So, even if I got one of those $400 Oppo DVD players that everyone raves about, I'd still have to reach for my TV remote? That sucks.

well then, other than slow boot up and having to manually shut off 24fps for video material, it sounds like the XA2 is the best for SD DVD's.

No question the XA2 cannot be beat for SD and HD DVD quality. You can bypass the 1080p shutoff (not limited to 24p) by starting up your HDMI receiver or TV on a different input and switching to the XA2 after a minute or so (programmed this into my Harmony remote and it works fine).

The letterbox issue is going to be there no matter what player you use; it is the source material that sucks. What really sucks is all those pixels being wasted on black bars. Is this not a title that is available in anamorphic widescreen? The only one I have is an older Criterion release of Silence of the Lambs with some great special features I cannot part with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I double checked the Toshiba XA2, and, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, it does not stretch 4:3 material.

But it is annoying having to manually turn of 1080p24 for video based DVD's! (Failure to do so leads to a very jerky picture) That's something I haven't had to do with my LG BH200.

On the other hand, the LG BH200 appears to be completely unable to display my letterbox (non anamorphic) DVD's properly without black bars on all four sides. My test disc is the History Channel's "The Universe", which is a letterboxed SD DVD. My television is the Sony KDL-XBR4 46" LCD 1080p24 which has four "zoom" modes that allow it to do stuff like pillarboxing stretched material: "Wide Zoom", "Normal", "Full", and "Zoom". The only mode that displays it in the correct aspect ratio is "Normal", which leaves black bars on all four sides. The other three zoom modes make people look short and stretched out.
BTW, this television show is meant to have no black bars on a 16:9 display.

My Toshiba HD-XA2 displays this properly once I switch my TV's zoom mode to "Zoom"...the picture then fills the screen at the proper aspect ratio with no black bars on any side and without clipping the picture. And people don't look short and stretched out.

Suddenly it doesn't seem like such a big deal having to turn off 1080p24 for video based material I wonder if the Oppo's both automatically turn off 1080p24 for video-based DVD's (which the LG does) *and* properly display 4:3 material (which the XA2 does)...
Then again, even if they do, I'd really prefer not having a third disc player in my home theater. But I would love it if they came out with a great BD player that did a great job with DVD too!
post #33 of 33 Old 09-05-2008, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by enormus View Post

No question the XA2 cannot be beat for SD and HD DVD quality. You can bypass the 1080p shutoff (not limited to 24p) by starting up your HDMI receiver or TV on a different input and switching to the XA2 after a minute or so (programmed this into my Harmony remote and it works fine).

I've never actually seen the XA2 shutoff bug and I've been an owner since April 2007. I've actually tried to make it happen and failed on two different XA2's.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page