Best player for upconversion of standard dvds? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 08-31-2008, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently using my PS3 for playing standard dvds. I recently got a Denon 1909 receiver that handles the new lossless tracks but just realized that my 360 HD-DVD add-on does not support these.

I was thinking about picking up a A35 or XA2 to replace it but then started thinking about just getting a combo player and dumping the PS3. I see there is a Samsung and LG combo players that are getting good reviews but haven't seen a definitive answer to which one upconverts standard dvds the best between all of these specific players. I have read that the PS3 is the best BD player but if the combo players are comparable and do everything I need, I don't mind ditching it since I use my 360 for gaming.

So...PS3, A35, XA2, UP5000, or BH200?

I know many ask what kind of set-up you have to help determine what is right for you. I am using a new Samsung 67" DLP with a Denon 1909 receiver & 7.1 set-up thru HDMI.

By the way, I did a search and only found where only a couple of the above players were compared against the other but not all at once. If there is such a thread, please direct me to it and I apologize for missing it. Thanks for your help and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-31-2008, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
XA2/BD-UP5000 > BH200 > A35/PS3 based on the observations I've seen at least.
post #3 of 33 Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

XA2/BD-UP5000 > BH200 > A35/PS3 based on the observations I've seen at least.

I will disagree:

XA2 > BH200 > BD-UP5000 > A35 (don't know about PS3)

Samsung did not implement the Reon properly; it does not match the XA2 (clearly the best) nor the BH200 in my opinion.

Of course, if you want the BEST upconvert, the flagship Oppo is supposed to be the best (albeit with no native HD support). I am very excited to see their first Blu-ray . . . if it comes with universal playback for SACD and DVD-A, I may have to break down and buy.
post #4 of 33 Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 AM

I've seen more preference for Samsung's REON implementation than LG's QDEO...but YMMV.
post #5 of 33 Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I haven't exactly been awestruck by the Reon upconversion yet, but perhaps my expectations were too high b/c of what I've read. I need to play with it a little bit more and try to compare it against the Qdeo when I have more time.
post #6 of 33 Old 09-01-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I just wanted to update with some initial newbie impressions...

I hooked up both players this afternoon and tried a few dvd's...Harold & Kumar, LOTR: Return of the King and Gladiator. When turned on, I think the Qdeo offers a cleaner image with more pop, but for some reason the Reon seems to have better color accuracy. Watching a few scenes in H&K with the LG/Qdeo, I noticed a few moments where skin tones were a little off compared to the Sam 5k.

I also noticed an audio dropout on ROTK with the LG and yes, the green line was there for dvd's. That will obviously be cleaned up by a firmware upgrade and hopefully LG is getting a grip on audio issues.

Watching HD material was a toss up as well...though I noticed with the Qdeo/default mode engaged on the LG, there appeared to be some black crush. Haven't tried user mode yet.

So overall...it's a tough call.
post #7 of 33 Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 PM

To me, it's BDUP5000 > BH200 > A35 > A2 > PS3. Thus, I never use my PS3 for watching DVDs.
post #8 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

I just wanted to update with some initial newbie impressions...

I hooked up both players this afternoon and tried a few dvd's...Harold & Kumar, LOTR: Return of the King and Gladiator. When turned on, I think the Qdeo offers a cleaner image with more pop, but for some reason the Reon seems to have better color accuracy. Watching a few scenes in H&K with the LG/Qdeo, I noticed a few moments where skin tones were a little off compared to the Sam 5k.

I also noticed an audio dropout on ROTK with the LG and yes, the green line was there for dvd's. That will obviously be cleaned up by a firmware upgrade and hopefully LG is getting a grip on audio issues.

Watching HD material was a toss up as well...though I noticed with the Qdeo/default mode engaged on the LG, there appeared to be some black crush. Haven't tried user mode yet.

So overall...it's a tough call.

Do you have the latest firmware for the LG? The dvd "green line" was supposed to be fixed.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #9 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

Do you have the latest firmware for the LG? The dvd "green line" was supposed to be fixed.

Not yet...I know that will be cleaned up by the firmware, but I'm more concerned with the drop-outs.
post #10 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

New Firmware may help with drops outs too. I looked at the changelog for the past 3 firmware updates and they all mention correcting audio issues. Kind of foolish to complain if you haven't updated to the latest firmware available- if you did and still have issues then you can complain.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #11 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 07:29 AM

I heard that one of the updates also fixed the gamma problem (which would affect the aforementioned black crush).
post #12 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Did you recalibrate your display for each device? You should be doing that for each device.

If not, that could explain the color problems. There were definetly some changes needed when I went from a A3 to the BH200.

John
post #13 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4yDubs View Post

Did you recalibrate your display for each device? You should be doing that for each device.

If not, that could explain the color problems. There were definetly some changes needed when I went from a A3 to the BH200.

John

Good advice. It's certainly not transferable setting between the devices that is for sure.

I've asked around the last couple of days because I wasn't getting the SD playback that I was getting with my A30. But spending all weekend tweaking picture settings on my HDTV helped get it back closer to what I was looking at before.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #14 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post

i am currently using my ps3 for playing standard dvds. I recently got a denon 1909 receiver that handles the new lossless tracks but just realized that my 360 hd-dvd add-on does not support these.

I was thinking about picking up a a35 or xa2 to replace it but then started thinking about just getting a combo player and dumping the ps3. I see there is a samsung and lg combo players that are getting good reviews but haven't seen a definitive answer to which one upconverts standard dvds the best between all of these specific players. I have read that the ps3 is the best bd player but if the combo players are comparable and do everything i need, i don't mind ditching it since i use my 360 for gaming.

So...ps3, a35, xa2, up5000, or bh200?

I know many ask what kind of set-up you have to help determine what is right for you. I am using a new samsung 67" dlp with a denon 1909 receiver & 7.1 set-up thru hdmi.

By the way, i did a search and only found where only a couple of the above players were compared against the other but not all at once. If there is such a thread, please direct me to it and i apologize for missing it. Thanks for your help and opinions.

dont use your ps3 as a permenant dvd player if you want to keep it alive

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #15 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

dont use your ps3 as a permenant dvd player if you want to keep it alive

I wholeheartedly agree. My friend's PS3's optic drive already died (less than a year old) from overuse with bluray, dvd and gaming.
post #16 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobff View Post

I wholeheartedly agree. My friend's PS3's optic drive already died (less than a year old) from overuse with bluray, dvd and gaming.

using a game console as dvd players is always a 2nd option that mostly goes towards the 360 but others as well will die out quicker if you just use them as a permenant player unless you got a seperate drive for it like the HD drive for the 360 because that runs on its own power. main reason anyone wants a PS3 right is just for the blu ray thing. people are better off buying a stand alone blu ray player which will last much longer and better picture as well.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #17 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 PM

Criterion prefers the PS3 as their Blu-ray player of choice: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...eed&subj=Crave

It can't be too shabby of a choice...it's indeed not a bad choice if one only wants a (power sucking) Blu-ray player and uses it minimally for gaming
post #18 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
But yet the Sony supporter keep expounding on the all in 1 capabilities of the PS3.
What good is it if 1 part or another fails due to usage.
Kinda reminds me of the DVD/TV combo players of the 90's. Ppl always said, if the DVD or TV part fails, what are you going do then? LOL.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #19 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Criterion prefers the PS3 as their Blu-ray player of choice: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...eed&subj=Crave

It can't be too shabby of a choice...it's indeed not a bad choice if one only wants a (power sucking) Blu-ray player and uses it minimally for gaming

PS3 is $399 at the moment you can get a decent blu ray player now for like $250 which is best to get if your just gonna get the ps3 for blu ray.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #20 of 33 Old 09-03-2008, 09:48 PM

The reason Criterion probably leans towards the PS3 is it it will always be updated with the latest Blu-Ray specs as promised by Sony. That doesn't mean it has the best hardware or video processing, just the best software support.
post #21 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

But yet the Sony supporter keep expounding on the all in 1 capabilities of the PS3.
What good is it if 1 part or another fails due to usage.

No lie. That's exactly what I was thinking when reading the comments here.

So anyway...thanks for the comments so far. I started thinking about just going completely separate and getting an A35 for my HD-DVD needs and then the new XD-E500 for the standard upconvert. Or just get a XA2 and letting it do the upconvert. Haven't seen many comments yet regarding the XA2 vs. the new E500 regarding the upconvert so far. Some seem to like it better and some seem to think it is worse but there is no general consensus yet.

Decisions, decisions.
post #22 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So anyway...thanks for the comments so far. I started thinking about just going completely separate and getting an A35 for my HD-DVD needs and then the new XD-E500 for the standard upconvert. Or just get a XA2 and letting it do the upconvert. Haven't seen many comments yet regarding the XA2 vs. the new E500 regarding the upconvert so far. Some seem to like it better and some seem to think it is worse but there is no general consensus yet.

Decisions, decisions.

Aside from CNet's lukewarm review, I've read a lot of positive comments about the XDE. I think if you just want something to upconvert, you can't go wrong with that.

I've just spent days doing upconversion comparisons between the 5k, LG and my old trusty A2. After seeing them all in action, I honestly feel that the difference that I saw was minimal at best. I actually enjoyed the Qdeo/LG the most and that's what I'm sticking with...but if it wasn't for the suddenly affordable price of the LG, I'd happily go with the XDE.
post #23 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Decisions, decisions.

you should get the LG200 combo player its dropped in price big time ever since HD lost.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #24 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

you should get the LG200 combo player its dropped in price big time ever since HD lost.

Funny, I finally came to that conclusion tonight. I have read so much about the XA2, A35, XDE500, BH200, and some others that my head hurts and i just want to make a decision.

I would rather get a machine that is getting good support even if it does have a few issues and at least get a warranty out of it. It would also be nice to have everything in one machine. So I am going to get me a 10% coupon, head to BB as soon as I get it and buy me a BH200 and sell my PS3. That should cover it.

Thanks for all the opinions.
post #25 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Funny, I finally came to that conclusion tonight. I have read so much about the XA2, A35, XDE500, BH200, and some others that my head hurts and i just want to make a decision.

I would rather get a machine that is getting good support even if it does have a few issues and at least get a warranty out of it. It would also be nice to have everything in one machine. So I am going to get me a 10% coupon, head to BB as soon as I get it and buy me a BH200 and sell my PS3. That should cover it.

Thanks for all the opinions.

to be honest i havent had any issues yet with the BH200 reading any discs and stuff its the best player ive ever owned. and its hackable as well to change the region you will see on many sites others putting codes for other players to unlock it and stuff and %50 of the time the codes dont work this one does for the BH200

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #26 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Which players don't stretch 4:3 SD DVD's? It seems to me that most of them stretch it.

LG BH200 stretches
Samsung BD-UP5000 stretches
Toshiba HD-XA2 stretches

Are there high quality upconverting players that don't (without needing to hit a button on the remote)?
post #27 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

Toshiba HD-XA2 stretches

Are there high quality upconverting players that don't (without needing to hit a button on the remote)?

The XA2 stretches? The A2 (not a high quality upconverter) and the A20 (great upscaler, lousy de-interlacer) don't stretch 4:3 SD DVD's. I own both. I can confirm this. Allegedly, the PS 3 allows you to determine whether or not you want to stretch or not. Same for the Oppos.
post #28 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

The XA2 stretches? The A2 (not a high quality upconverter) and the A20 (great upscaler, lousy de-interlacer) don't stretch 4:3 SD DVD's. I own both. I can confirm this. Allegedly, the PS 3 allows you to determine whether or not you want to stretch or not. Same for the Oppos.

I'll double check the XA2 in an hour...I know it isn't perfect...I was playing the SD DVD television show "The Universe" and it was goofy looking. Actually, I think the issue there was that it *should* have stetched it but displayed a letterbox DVD as 4:3. But the end result was the same: I had to reach for my TV remote and adjust the screen (stretching it instead of pillarboxing it).
post #29 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

I'll double check the XA2 in an hour...I know it isn't perfect...I was playing the SD DVD television show "The Universe" and it was goofy looking. Actually, I think the issue there was that it *should* have stetched it but displayed a letterbox DVD as 4:3. But the end result was the same: I had to reach for my TV remote and adjust the screen (stretching it instead of pillarboxing it).

That is going to happen with even the BEST player (i.e., the XA2). Understand that true "letterbox" DVDs are 4:3, not 16:9 -- the blackbars are actually part of the picture rather than generated like on an anamorphic disc. You have to "fake" your TV into displaying it as 16:9, hence it looks weird. The XA2 does not force all 4:3 content to stretch.
post #30 of 33 Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enormus View Post

That is going to happen with even the BEST player (i.e., the XA2). Understand that true "letterbox" DVDs are 4:3, not 16:9 -- the blackbars are actually part of the picture rather than generated like on an anamorphic disc. You have to "fake" your TV into displaying it as 16:9, hence it looks weird. The XA2 does not force all 4:3 content to stretch.

So, even if I got one of those $400 Oppo DVD players that everyone raves about, I'd still have to reach for my TV remote? That sucks.

well then, other than slow boot up and having to manually shut off 24fps for video material, it sounds like the XA2 is the best for SD DVD's.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page