What audio setting for the LG BH200? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-01-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought this player from Best Buy for $339.00 last Sunday and I love it so far. I have a question regarding the Audio setup. My AV receiver is a Sony STR-DG810, it will not decode True-HD but will play back uncompressed PCM audio from Blu-Ray/HD DVD movies as long as the player can decode.

My question is, what setting do I use in the BH200? PCM Multi-Ch or Primary Pass-Thru? I've tried both and they both kind of sound the same to me but I want to make sure I'm using the correct setting.

In the movie Happy Feet when set to PCM Multi-Ch my AV receiver shows "PCM 48" and when set to Primary Pass-Thru it shows "Dolby Digital EX 3/2.1". My HD-A3 player used to display PCM 48 when playing HD DVD movies so I'm a little confused which one to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
PCM Multi-CH = Internal decoding.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

PCM Multi-CH = Internal decoding.

Thanks. I just finished watching The Bourne Ultimatum (HDDVD) with that setting and the sound was excellent.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallA View Post

I bought this player from Best Buy for $339.00 last Sunday and I love it so far. I have a question regarding the Audio setup. My AV receiver is a Sony STR-DG810, it will not decode True-HD but will play back uncompressed PCM audio from Blu-Ray/HD DVD movies as long as the player can decode.

My question is, what setting do I use in the BH200? PCM Multi-Ch or Primary Pass-Thru? I've tried both and they both kind of sound the same to me but I want to make sure I'm using the correct setting.

In the movie Happy Feet when set to PCM Multi-Ch my AV receiver shows "PCM 48" and when set to Primary Pass-Thru it shows "Dolby Digital EX 3/2.1". My HD-A3 player used to display PCM 48 when playing HD DVD movies so I'm a little confused which one to use.

I have the same setup with the 810.
Not sure what Primary Pass Thru does though since it we are not passing anything HD audio wise.

I think the only reason u would be getting that DDEX status is that the 810 does decode audio below DTHD and that u are receiving 3/2.1 because u have no rear surrounds but do have a subwoofer.
So the 810 just defaults to decoding DDEX since it has no capability to decode DTHD.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #5 of 11 Old 09-02-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"Pass-thru" will send the bitstream of all codecs to your receiver. "PCM-multi-ch" will decode all the codecs (with the exception of DTS-HD MA) and send it multi-channel pcm over HDMI. You will get TrueHD decoding with this method and the core 1.5mbps DTS from DTS-HD MA. You also have the option to have all codecs re-encoded to 1.5 mbps DTS- which sounds great too. This is useful if you have a receiver that does not do bass management for Multichannel-PCM.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #6 of 11 Old 09-02-2008, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

"Pass-thru" will send the bitstream of all codecs to your receiver. "PCM-multi-ch" will decode all the codecs (with the exception of DTS-HD MA) and send it multi-channel pcm over HDMI. You will get TrueHD decoding with this method and the core 1.5mbps DTS from DTS-HD MA. You also have the option to have all codecs re-encoded to 1.5 mbps DTS- which sounds great too. This is useful if you have a receiver that does not do bass management for Multichannel-PCM.

Thanks, great info. I tried the DTS Re-encode option and it didn't sound as good as PCM-Multi ch so I think I'll keep it there for now.

"I think the only reason u would be getting that DDEX status is that the 810 does decode audio below DTHD and that u are receiving 3/2.1 because u have no rear surrounds but do have a subwoofer."

I do have surround speakers and sub. I had it on pass-through so the 810 could only encode DDEX and not TrueHD.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-02-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallA View Post

I tried the DTS Re-encode option and it didn't sound as good as PCM-Multi ch so I think I'll keep it there for now.

That is correct, if your connection type is HDMI.

DTS Re-encode transcodes everything from HD-DVD/BD into 1.5Mbps Lossy DTS. As others have said you want PCM Multi-Channel, that way everything is sent out at the highest bitrate as PCM (except for DTS-HD where you can only get the 1.5Mbps Core).

Primary Pass-thru is for Amps that support TrueHD and DTS-HD, it is also the only way to listen to the Uncompressed DTS-HD HR or MA.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-02-2008, 06:28 PM

I know not everyone can afford to upgrade their receiver, but for those who don't have an HDMI receiver capable of decoding TrueHD and DTS-MA via bitstreaming . . . you just don't know what you are missing. True, not every track is done well, but those that are done well are simply astounding.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-02-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by enormus View Post

I know not everyone can afford to upgrade their receiver, but for those who don't have an HDMI receiver capable of decoding TrueHD and DTS-MA via bitstreaming . . . you just don't know what you are missing. True, not every track is done well, but those that are done well are simply astounding.

I'll take your word for it, but the PCM isn't shabby at all.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #10 of 11 Old 09-02-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Assuming that the PCM signal is not processed in some way, there is no audible advantage to bitstreaming.

I would imagine that a lot of people who claim that bitstreaming sounds better have PS3s (although that would mean that there are a couple of players out there that do send out a degraded PCM signal, since the PS3 can't bitstream, and it is the one player where the audio sounds significantly worse).
post #11 of 11 Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enormus View Post

Much better than the audio down sampled to 1.5Mbps DTS?

My plan was always to upgrade my Amp, hence why I waited until a Combo Player came that could do the HD Audio business but right now I really cannot afford one. I need a Full HD TV more too. I also currently live in a smallish flat and cannot play movies at the volume I really like due to my neighbours, that only hinders being able to tell the difference.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page