UP5000 Analog quick question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2008, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a search and found a few answers (from 2007), but I wanted to know what the owners think now.

UPS should be dropping off a refurb UP5000 today, and I was looking at my AVR manual and it has two settings for the analog inputs. 1) Direct - Simple passthrough with no post processing, or 2)Input - where it does a DA conversion to apply AVR Speaker settings.

So I'm sure I'll get "Try it and see which one sounds better" comments, but figured I'd run it by you all first.

If someone has had this situation before feel free to chime in and tell about your experiences.

I know the Sammy is pretty crippled when it comes to analog outs, but I wonder which would be better/worse. The crippled analogs or a second DAC.

My AVR is a H/K AVR 445

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 250
It is either:
* Crippled analog with piss poor speaker management and bass management from the player (when you use Direct mode on AVR)

or

* Second DAC to add addition distortion but can take advange of AVR's processing and good speaker manage, bass management and room EQ settings (if available).

There is not clear cut answers here. You just have to try both modes and decide for yourself.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Fox thats what I was going to do.

One other thing, with the UP5K, I'm going to set my speakers to Large (at first), does anybody know if the sub still gets the 100 hz x-over or does it only get the LFE channel. I hope that makes sense. Or if it doesn't matter thats fine also. My AVR x-over for the sub is 80hz right now, so I suppose it shouldn't make any difference.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM99 View Post

Thanks Fox thats what I was going to do.

One other thing, with the UP5K, I'm going to set my speakers to Large (at first), does anybody know if the sub still gets the 100 hz x-over or does it only get the LFE channel. I hope that makes sense. Or if it doesn't matter thats fine also. My AVR x-over for the sub is 80hz right now, so I suppose it shouldn't make any difference.

If you set all speakers to large, there will be no re-direction of bass to sub channel. If you use DAC route on your AVR, you can use your AVR's bass management and you should set the player this way. If you use Direc mode on your AVR, the bass management is done at the player (your x-over settings on the AVR are bypassed). The channels with 'small' speaker setting will have its bass re-directed to sub channel. However, there are know issues with 5k that if you mix-match large and small speaker settings on 5K, you will get popping noise from its analog out. So, essentially you need to set all to large or all to small, no mix-matches.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Cool thanks, well UPS just dropped it off at the house, now I have 30 min before lunch, and then I've got about an hour to start setting it up and check it out.

I hope I got a good unit.

Now I'll go see if I can find out how to check the firmware version.

Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well Crap! The BD-UP5000 seems to be working fine, but it seems as though my H/K AVR 445 will not allow me to use the HDMI port with the 6 ch input, the only video input that is available in the AVR setup for 6ch is component. So now I'm going to go over to the Receivers section to see what I can find out.

If it cant be done, I'll have a couple options.

1)Run the HDMI directly to the TV and use the 6ch input. I Don't really want to do that because it makes it more complicated for others (wife).

2)Keep using the 445 as a HDMI switcher and have the 5000 re-encode to DTS and send it over optical.

3)Run it through component and lose the SD upconversion, but have both video and 6ch direct, through the AVR.

If anyone has any idea's, they are certainly welcome.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No need to re-encode. Simply set 5k to PCM mode via HDMI if your AVR can support HDMI 1.1 LPCM. All you loss is DTS-HD HR and MA but you still get DTS core out of those tracks.

If you decide to upgrade to a new AVR, there are many options out there. Just make sure the new AVR can decode Dobly TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. This way, you can set your 5k to Bitstream Audiophile and bitstream all audio codecs to your AVR.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

My H/K AVR 445 is only a HDMI pass through, no HDMI audio at all, or else I'd be happy with LPCM for a while.

But yeah I am looking at picking up a Pre/Pro (I've all ready got an external amp), I'm waiting on the new ones from Emotiva, so it might be several months waiting.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:36 PM

So is analog out on the 5000 really "crippled"? I have mine set to PCM via analog, and run it to my receiver, which accepts analog input but doesn't process it. Sounds fine to me, but to be honest, if it's pumping out True HD or DD+ or whatever, I can't really tell the difference. It's good and loud and the surrounds work as they should, but my metal-damaged ears can't appreciate the nuances I guess.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

By 'crippled', I mean it lacks:

* time delay for individual speakers.
* configurable crossover.
* speaker level settings
Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 AM

I run my HDMI directly to the tv. And I run the audio through analogue through my HK 240. Just buy a Logitech Harmony remote and it will solve the confusion for your wife. Those remotes are awesome.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Well I ended up sending the UP5000 back, after the first movie I watched (after updating the firmware) it wouldn't load anymore disks.

So I picked up a Panasonic BD 30 and am running the analogs out of it. 80% of the BD's I own have a LPCM track. So until I pick up a new pre/pro it will work for me.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:57 AM

* time delay for individual speakers
* configurable crossover
* speaker level settings

Does anyone perceive this being fixed or added in a future update?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technopath View Post

* time delay for individual speakers
* configurable crossover
* speaker level settings

Does anyone perceive this being fixed or added in a future update?

Not gonna happen. It requires much more processing power. Only BD players >$1k or maybe even $2k have this kind of implementation.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Not gonna happen. It requires much more processing power. Only BD players >$1k or maybe even $2k have this kind of implementation.

Shoot, the HD-A35 has these features. I doubt, it's anymore powerful than the BD-UP5000.

No disrespect, but your post seems off.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You're right, I didn't know A35 plays BD
Old 09-19-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

I am going to have to agree with you Fox, if they didnt add it to begin with, they are not going to add it now. Even if it were possible, the percentage of people that actually use those features is probably so small (in the big picture) that they wouldnt even waste time on them.

At this point I think people need to focus more on fixes then additions, this player right now is WYSIWYG, all we can hope for are fixes for the bugs. I highly doubt and would put money on it that there will be no more added features.

Also, to be fixed it would have to be "broken" in the first place. Since it was never a feature to begin with, Samsung most likely made the decision not to add those features, regardless of what other players had...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:

You're right, I didn't know A35 plays BD

They both play advanced audio codecs. That was the topic of my posts. It has nothing to do with BD or HD. This is not a BD versus HD conversation. Now back on topic...
Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I said:

Quote:

And you brought out HD-A35. Hence my response.