BH 200 as a BD player vs. HD DVD player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2008, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, I love the machine that lets me play both formats. I started into HDM when I got my HDTV and I got an A3 as a gimme. I knew in advance that I wanted access to both formats so when combo players were announced, that was always my intention to buy one, so I purchased my LG in May.

Now while I have a mostly positive impression of the player, there are some concerns and this thread is mostly directed at those who were/are HD DVD player owners. I'm curious on your thoughts of the BH 200 as an HD DVD player.

First of all, I never had a BD player previously so I can't compare. However I did have a A3.

I noticed something last night that really shocked me. I recently acquired the BD of BATMAN BEGINS and I still have the HD DVD. Since day one of having the player i've always "bitstreamed" the TRUEHD. Well I think we'd all agree that BATMAN BEGINS has the same TRUEHD track for both formats. However, I noticed a difference bitstreaming, which was very shocking!! When bitstreaming the BD the sound is much fuller, the bass is tighter, the surrounds more involving than i've ever heard. I'm still amazed by what my ears heard so I put in the HD DVD and still found a difference.

This has me wondering is TRUEHD or any of the other audio codecs processed differently on HD DVD than BD?

Has anyone experienced this on an titles shared between both formats?

Also, i've noticed through the QOED processor that HD DVD's exhibit a darker picture than BD's. I'm really curious why both formats are processing differently? Maybe i'm alone?

Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't have a receiver that decodes TrueHD but I found little difference between my HD-A30 and BH200 when it comes to HD-DVD PQ and decoding. Matter of fact I find that the BH200 PQ is a bit better because it passes BTB better then the Toshiba. The Toshiba still has issues with my hdmi to dvi connection. I bet TrueHD sounds better when your receiver decodes it because the reciever is doing the proper bass management. The same bass management may not be applied to Multi-PCM in. I also like that the LG will default to a TrueHD soundtrack if it is available on a hd-dvd. That is not the case with the 2 Toshiba's I have- you have to change the audio to TrueHD when the movie starts.

Both of my Toshiba HD-DVD players are packed and in my attic now waitng for the LG to break or I will use one if we buy another HD television. The LG is just as good or better as the Toshiba hd-dvd players.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

I also like that the LG will default to a TrueHD soundtrack if it is available on a hd-dvd. That is not the case with the 2 Toshiba's I have- you have to change the audio to TrueHD when the movie starts.

In the HD Batman Begins - I had to go manually change to THD when the movie started on my BH200.
This is for PCM not bitstreaming since I don't have bitstream AVR capabilities.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Old 09-12-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also like that the LG will default to a TrueHD soundtrack if it is available on a hd-dvd. That is not the case with the 2 Toshiba's I have- you have to change the audio to TrueHD when the movie starts.

Please advise how to set that up cause on the LG I have to chose TRUEHD on all Warner HD DVD's and BD's.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

Please advise how to set that up cause on the LG I have to chose TRUEHD on all Warner HD DVD's and BD's.

Same here... Universal's are the only ones that default to TrueHD AFAIK.

Opus Arte doesn't give you a choice!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After last night's audio revelation with BATMAN BEGINS, it really makes me wonder what else I may be missing out on for the other HD DVD's with TRUEHD? I certainly not looking to replace all my HD DVD's, I just wonder why one format sounds clearly better with the same soundtrack being bitstreamed.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I noticed something last night that really shocked me. I recently acquired the BD of BATMAN BEGINS and I still have the HD DVD. Since day one of having the player i've always "bitstreamed" the TRUEHD. Well I think we'd all agree that BATMAN BEGINS has the same TRUEHD track for both formats. However, I noticed a difference bitstreaming, which was very shocking!!

I can't play the HD audio options yet, so I can't compare myself...but...If the track are the same for BD and HD DVD then they should sound the same. TrueHD is a lossless format, so there shouldn't be a difference unless they were mixed differently. Have you verified that they are the same track?

Quote:

Matter of fact I find that the BH200 PQ is a bit better because it passes BTB better then the Toshiba. The Toshiba still has issues with my hdmi to dvi connection.

You had a BTB problem on your A30? My A3 passed BTB (HDMI to DVI). It was one of the biggest reasons I went with the A3 instead of the A2 (which did have a problem with BTB over DVI).

John
Old 09-13-2008, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

After last night's audio revelation with BATMAN BEGINS, it really makes me wonder what else I may be missing out on for the other HD DVD's with TRUEHD? I certainly not looking to replace all my HD DVD's, I just wonder why one format sounds clearly better with the same soundtrack being bitstreamed.

Turning OFF DRC?
Otherwise no differences 'hear'.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Old 09-13-2008, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

Turning OFF DRC?
Otherwise no differences 'hear'.

Not the issue as it's never engaged.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:

First of all, I love the machine that lets me play both formats. I started into HDM when I got my HDTV and I got an A3 as a gimme. I knew in advance that I wanted access to both formats so when combo players were announced, that was always my intention to buy one, so I purchased my LG in May.

Now while I have a mostly positive impression of the player, there are some concerns and this thread is mostly directed at those who were/are HD DVD player owners. I'm curious on your thoughts of the BH 200 as an HD DVD player.

First of all, I never had a BD player previously so I can't compare. However I did have a A3.

I noticed something last night that really shocked me. I recently acquired the BD of BATMAN BEGINS and I still have the HD DVD. Since day one of having the player i've always "bitstreamed" the TRUEHD. Well I think we'd all agree that BATMAN BEGINS has the same TRUEHD track for both formats. However, I noticed a difference bitstreaming, which was very shocking!! When bitstreaming the BD the sound is much fuller, the bass is tighter, the surrounds more involving than i've ever heard. I'm still amazed by what my ears heard so I put in the HD DVD and still found a difference.

This has me wondering is TRUEHD or any of the other audio codecs processed differently on HD DVD than BD?

Has anyone experienced this on an titles shared between both formats?

Also, i've noticed through the QOED processor that HD DVD's exhibit a darker picture than BD's. I'm really curious why both formats are processing differently? Maybe i'm alone?

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am a Bh200 owner as well. I noticed on the "Dave Matthews with Tim Reynolds Radio City" BD with my LG set on "primary pass thru" to my integra dtr 7.8 av receiver the "codec"? behaves differently than with other disks. With "Batman Begins" HDdvd I can clearly hear the left & right surround channels coming through strongly, as well as other HDdvd disks , where as with the Dave Blu I get better acknowledgement when audio preference is set to "pcm" on the blu. I can barely hear sound coming from the rears with the Dave Blu when set to Dolby Tru HD. Maybe the audio loss has something to do with what people said about DTHD being output as 2 channel? I thought the firmware corrected this. I have the latest firmware I believe. I'm seeing Dolby True HD on the receiver when playing a source. All things such as master volume, ect. being equal.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:50 PM
T2k

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by htjunkee View Post

With "Batman Begins" HDdvd I can clearly hear the left & right surround channels coming through strongly, as well as other HDdvd disks , where as with the Dave Blu I get better acknowledgement when audio preference is set to "pcm" on the blu. I can barely hear sound coming from the rears with the Dave Blu when set to Dolby Tru HD.

BD vs HDDVD?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

BD vs HDDVD?

Not sure, maybe I don't have enough experience with the Bh200 and or Dolby Tru-Hd for that matter. I just noticed the inconsistancies in these relatively new (production wise) disks sound quality.