Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD confused - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2008, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm confused about a few things!

1. The format war; Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Blu-ray won, how and by whom was the winner determined?

2. Blu-ray players can't play HD DVD and vise versa?

3. Is HD-DVD material still being made for this format?

4. The only reason to buy a HD-DVD player is just to play existing material?

5. Do HD-DVD players play SD dvd's and will it upconvert them?

TIA
-Joseph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 250
1. Hollywood studios decided which format to support. Specifically Warner Bros made the critical move.

2. Correct. But there are a few players (LG BH100, BH200 and Samsung BD-UP5000, all discountinued now) out here that have combo drive which can play both.

3. No major studios will release anything to HD-DVD anymore.

4. Correct.

5. Yes.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Just to throw this out there....there are still tons of HD DVD's out there which can be purchased at great prices...much cheaper than their BD counterparts. If you are thinking about getting into High Def movies, and have not yet purchased a HD player, now would be a great time to pick up a dual-format player.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Just to throw this out there....there are still tons of HD DVD's out there which can be purchased at great prices...much cheaper than their BD counterparts. If you are thinking about getting into High Def movies, and have not yet purchased a HD player, now would be a great time to pick up a dual-format player.

"dual-format player" ?? Play both formats? Is the picture and sound quality same as if you played on each individual unit?
Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph58 View Post

"dual-format player" ?? Play both formats? Is the picture and sound quality same as if you played on each individual unit?

With the dual format units, the A/V quality is just as good, but there are some inherent 'bugs' with playback on some discs. I have not had any problems with the discs I own. I replaced my individual BluRay and HD-DVD players with a dual-format (LG BH200) and have been very happy with the single unit.

In addition, the LG BH200 and the Samsung 5000 are both top notch upscaling DVD players, in fact, they are better than most stand alone BluRay players!

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

With the dual format units, the A/V quality is just as good, but there are some inherent 'bugs' with playback on some discs. I have not had any problems with the discs I own. I replaced my individual BluRay and HD-DVD players with a dual-format (LG BH200) and have been very happy with the single unit.

In addition, the LG BH200 and the Samsung 5000 are both top notch upscaling DVD players, in fact, they are better than most stand alone BluRay players!

Thank you all, thank you billbillw!! There is tons of info on the forum regarding both players...I'll have to look at it. From the research you have done, do you have a preference between LG BH200 and the Samsung 5000 and why?

Thank you again, great help!!!!
-Joseph
Old 09-19-2008, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Obviously, he preferred the BH200. Usually, it comes down to price, availability and features (the BH200 can be hacked to play DVDs and Blu-rays from different regions while the BD-UP5000 has 7.1 analog outs useful for older receivers that lack HDMI 1.3 capability, so that TrueHD audio can be heard in full).
Old 09-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I like the BH200 because:
a) Its fast. Very quick start up and disc navigation. There is a bit of a delay while it identifies what format of disc is inserted, but other than that, its very fast, not far behind the PS3.
b) It was a very good deal a few weeks back when BestBuy had them on sale. Not sure if you can touch them now for that price (under $350) though.
c) Its just cool!
d) I think the Samsung is only available as a refurb these days. The BH200 is still available new from a few sources.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!