Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue View Post

OK, we're going off topic here, but there's a couple problems with your retort:
1. It's more than three BDs. Three are listed at the top as being released in the last two months...but there's more.
2. HD DVD...yeah, thanks for the tip that it's a "dead format". I had no idea new titles weren't coming out anymore Or that titles on our shelf were no longer playable. Thing is, most here bought the BH200 as a dual-format player. Ignoring HD DVD problem titles goes against that premise. It would be convenient for LG to ignore the HD DVD side of the BH200, but the player is supposed to play them.

Here's one especially frustrating example: UK version of Planet Earth HD DVD. Playback was fixed with the January firmware...only be to broken by any and all firmware since.

+1 or in the case of Clerks II, wouldn't it be better for LG to fix the issue with this "dead formatted" disc rather than have some people, yours truly included, go out and buy ANOTHER copy used in the hope that it would work?!! Hell the BD is coming out in Feb. sometime and with our luck with this player the issue might STILL be there in the Blu Ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 454 Old 11-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. It's more than three BDs. Three are listed at the top as being released in the last two months...but there's more.
2. HD DVD...yeah, thanks for the tip that it's a "dead format". I had no idea new titles weren't coming out anymore Or that titles on our shelf were no longer playable. Thing is, most here bought the BH200 as a dual-format player. Ignoring HD DVD problem titles goes against that premise. It would be convenient for LG to ignore the HD DVD side of the BH200, but the player is supposed to play them.

Please list the "more" then. I can't since I'm not having problems playing anything. All I have to go by is the "problem disc" thread.

As for HD DVD, yeah, it sucks, but don't expect them to put time into fixing those problems. Again though, this player has played every HD DVD I've put in it.

I guess I'm just giving a different perspective from the doom and gloom posts. I've been very happy with this player.

John
post #453 of 454 Old 11-08-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:

OK, we're going off topic here, but there's a couple problems with your retort:

Here's one especially frustrating example: UK version of Planet Earth HD DVD. Playback was fixed with the January firmware...only be to broken by any and all firmware since.

Back on topic: LG's avoidance of providing Profile 2.0/BD-Live for the BH200. Why shouldn't that be interpreted as a warning sign that LG is washing its hands of the BH200? To date, LG doesn't exactly have a proven track record of responsively fixing BH200 playback issues. Combine that with LG's BD-Live manoeuvre, and I maintain the future of the BH200 looks grim. Which feeds into the "one bitten twice shy" attitude I'll have toward LG in the future.

And I agree One in 10 of my BR-discs have some sort of problem on two June FW BH200's. Most recently, they refused to play two 2006 discs, Discovery Atlas: China Revealed, and Discovery Atlas: Brazil Revealed. Both they were fine in my $239.00 Panny BR player.
But the real reason I responded is to support those of us who belive LG should make a better effort. And we need not insult each other, by saying HD DVD is a dead format or don't try to play an HD DVD in a BR player. Really!
Today I opened the mail and there was a small package from Toshiba. I own a Toshiba plasma and thought....but no! It was a CD firmware update for my HD A2 dvd player that is in my second HT system. Imagine. Supporting a discontinued format, when LG won't even support a discontinued model! As the letter said " As part of our comittment to provide world-class service, we..... Yup! Some companies really do the job, and others,like LG are to be avoided in the future. Just my experience and my opinion, but at least it is factual.

Barry
post #454 of 454 Old 11-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
It also goes to show that NO one besides MS (who have now washed their hands of the format) or Toshiba was too enthused about pushing HD DVD.
Closed Thread Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page