Sharpness and the BH200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-05-2008, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was watching "Don't Mess with the Zohan" last night on Blu-Ray on the BH200.

Having heard about sound dropouts on the BH200 but having never experienced any, I was really disappointed to have the sound dropping out randomly in the movie Also the FF/RW progress bar would stick on the screen if you did any kind of FF/RW.

It got irritating to the point that I took the disk out and resumed the movie from the PS3 (my main player before the BH200).

I was shocked at the difference in picture between the BH200 and PS3 - the PS3 seemed much more 3D.

I tried some of A/B comparisons between the two players using the disc - hard to do given the boot up times of players.

However, I did find that turning on the QDEO automatic settings restored the 3D look of the BH200 picture and may have brought it up to the quality I was perceiving with the PS3.

I normally have Sharpness set to off, however, I'm wondering if 'off' is actually applying 'negative' sharpness. I know that received wisdom is that edge enhancement is bad - however, one of my other hobbies is photography and I know that when I shoot a picture RAW, then I have to add edge enhancement to make it great picture.

It was getting late, so I had to abandon my testing... however I plan to do some more today to establish some facts around the following hypotheses...

1. Is the PS3 picture better that the BH200 or did the QDEO on make the BH200 as good?

2. Is the Sharpness 'off' setting unsharpening/softening the image?

Any thoughts on the above appreciated!

Regards,

LWR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-05-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Are you running the PS3/ BH200 on the same input? If so, you may need to calibrate it for each device. If they are on different inputs you need to calibrate each input the same with the same calibration disc before doing a/b comparisons.

You must eliminate the calibration differences before you can start pointing the fingers at one machine or the other.

You may actually find that the sharpness is too high and you are just used to a over-sharp picture. That is what I found on most of my friends and families displays when I helped calibrate.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #3 of 3 Old 10-05-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yes, they are running different inputs on my projector. Both have been calibrated as far as I can without having a CMS system (I have a JVC RS2 projector). So, black level, white level, color etc using Avia.

Having looked at it a bit more, I genuinely believe that the non QDEO settings on the BH200 is loosing detail rather than the PS3 adding it.

With QDEO on, the pictures are more comparable and have greater depth.

I guess my real question would be - do we need to rethink edge enhancement in an HD world? Back in the SD only days, I thought any kind of sharpness was awful.

Like I said, it's generally accepted in photography circles that images straight from the camera in RAW format are too soft and that they need enhancing. Maybe now that we have some resolution available to us, the right amount of edge enhancement is a good thing.

Regards,

LWR
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page