post #991 of 1076 Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsip View Post

When you say LONG.....how long is it?

I waited 10 minutes. Nothing happened called LG waiting on FW update disc.

-Brian

No, not that long. But a good 90-plus seconds. Long enough to be uncomfortable and start to wonder. I am running (ASFAIK) the latest software and have the language settings set to English (a previous Disney disc issue workaround).

The movie also had several (as most Blu-Rays do) annoying audio drop outs. Drop outs that only happen when using the BH200. I'm about ready to give up on this VERY expensive and frequently unreliable machine. When the new Oppos come out, I think I'm making the jump, even if it means ditching my remaining HD-DVDs (about 30 movies).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1076 Old 11-07-2010, 04:18 PM

Liked: 11
If they are sending you a disk, then it is probably just the latest firmware we already have. Whoever you spoke to is just sending the disk to appease you.
post #993 of 1076 Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastan View Post

If they are sending you a disk, then it is probably just the latest firmware we already have. Whoever you spoke to is just sending the disk to appease you.

Your right they probably were just pleasing me with this solution (or I hope it is) I have had to send this machine in for repairs twice since I have had it. I got it back from them in February and the FW hasn't been updated since.

I've got 103 HD DVD's so I'm not quite ready to Moth ball the machine yet, Even though I have a Toshiba XA2 sitting on my shelf.

-Brian
post #994 of 1076 Old 11-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Moulin Rouge blu-ray will not play on my BH200. I am one or two firmwares behind, since I cannot install the newer firmware (it always errors right at the end of the process). It plays "fine" on my PS3. I say "fine", because the initial load time was pretty long, but it did finally work. That said, I saw no appreciable improvements in video quality in the blu-ray version over the scaled (DVDO iScan Duo with ABT processor) DVD version. I assume the sound was better, but I did not really compare the sound.
post #995 of 1076 Old 11-09-2010, 08:03 AM

Alien Anthology - I haven't run into any problems playing the movies so far but the "disc unbound" feature causes my player to lock up and reboot itself. It's easy enough to avoid the problem just by pressing 'stop' before ejecting the disk.
post #996 of 1076 Old 11-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
LG sent me a firmware disc a while back when I emailed them about not being able to install the firmware either through ethernet or USB. I did not try it (until last night), because I just assumed it would error out like the rest. But last night, after having massive audio dropouts in the final battle scene of How to Train Your Dragon, I decided to give it a try. The good news... the firware disc actually worked. The bad news... the audio drop outs remained.

I tried HTTYD using a different HDMI cable with the LG and had the exact same problem. So, I tried it on my PS3 fatty through multi-channel PCM and it worked fine. I switched the LG to PCM Multi-channel, and it worked fine.

I did some research and it appears that some other people using this and other players and other receivers also had this problem when bitstreaming (and a few when using PCM) on this movie. It could be a bad batch of discs, or it could be something about certain players. However, if you are having audio drop out issues, you may want to switch to multi-channel PCM. You won't get the pretty logos on your receiver or pre/pro, but it might reduce or eliminate the audio drop-outs you are getting when using bitstream and you should still be getting lossless audio.

*Note, this is with an Onkyo TX-NR3007 receiver.
post #997 of 1076 Old 11-13-2010, 06:37 PM

FYI, I was originally having the TS3 problems mentioned on the last page- an indefinite hang up after the language selection screen. I was able to get the disc playing perfectly after doing the following:

1. "update" the firmware online (I think this just toggled to the other 0702 firmware) variation.

2. Left the player connected online, and inserted a 1GB thumb drive.

3. Changed the BD live settings in the menu to permitted (it was previously set to the middle setting; partially permitted, IIRC).

Unfortunately I did all three of these things at once, so I'm not sure which fixed my problem, but some combination of these did.
post #998 of 1076 Old 11-14-2010, 11:29 PM

HI
JUST BACK TRACKED FIRMWARE TO THE MIDDLE ONE {APRIL} ON THE LG SERVICE SITE..IT NOW PLAYS ALL THE TOYSTORY FILMS INCLUDING NUMBER
3 WHICH IT DIDNT FLAWLESSLY ...NOW MY QUESTION IS SOMEWHERE ALONG THE LINE OF FIRMWARE UPDATES IT MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING AS LIKE MANY OTHERS I NOW HAVE 18 BLU RAYS WITH DISC ERRORS AND WONT PLAY...Anybody on here still got stored away every firmware disc that was made for this player as im thinking if we re in stalled we might get somewhere.coz this is still by far the best looking player made to date
bruce
post #999 of 1076 Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUCIE BOY View Post

this is still by far the best looking player made to date
bruce

It's funny but lately I've been considering going back to a separate HD DVD player & getting a new Blu-ray player.

The HD DVD side of things would be fine but Blu-ray?

As far as I can see every single one of the standalone Blu players has 'issues' with certain films.
All except (surprise surprise) the PS3 game console.
But it'll be a cold day in hell the day I slot a game console into my a/v rack.

So, for now by my reckoning, the BH200 is about as good as it gets anyways.
I really don't see what would be to gain by dumping it for a newer Blu player (except a slightly different load of aggravation).
post #1000 of 1076 Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 AM

AND CONsidering i just paid a fortune for a pioneer bdp 330 just play ts3 and it wouldnt even work"copyprotected material cannot play on connected equipment "..$150 fed ex bill back to usa for them to say nothing wrong ..then over the weeken i get the bh to play ts3 u can imagine im pretty p""""d off ..lol lol but **** happens its life ..now if i could just sort the disc error an spitting out crap ill be even happier
post #1001 of 1076 Old 11-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I don't have my BH 200 hooked up right now so I am wondering if anybody has any trouble with these Fox titles loading and playing.

The Last of the Mohicans
Two disc version of Avatar
The Sound of Music
Predators

These titles are not working on my Pioneer BDP 320 and my Oppo BDP 83.

I shelved the BH 200 because of how long it took to get firmware updates and now I have the same problem with the Oppo and the Pioneer.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #1002 of 1076 Old 11-17-2010, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Sound of Music at least should work on the Oppo, disable BD-Live and clear the on-board memory before trying again...

FOX is hellspawn (in more ways than one).
post #1003 of 1076 Old 11-18-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

I don't have my BH 200 hooked up right now so I am wondering if anybody has any trouble with these Fox titles loading and playing.

The Last of the Mohicans
Two disc version of Avatar
The Sound of Music
Predators

These titles are not working on my Pioneer BDP 320 and my Oppo BDP 83.

I shelved the BH 200 because of how long it took to get firmware updates and now I have the same problem with the Oppo and the Pioneer.

The Last of the Mohicans played flawlessly on my BH200 just a few days ago.
erray
post #1004 of 1076 Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Sound of Music at least should work on the Oppo, disable BD-Live and clear the on-board memory before trying again...

FOX is hellspawn (in more ways than one).

I agree with your statement about Fox. You might as well add Disney and Sony to because these three are the ones most concerned about piracy of their content.

The titles will load and play on the OPPO with BD Live turned off but from a technical standpoint BD Live should work.

post #1005 of 1076 Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erray View Post

The Last of the Mohicans played flawlessly on my BH200 just a few days ago.
erray

Did the BD Live features work? My Pioneer 320 will load and play the titles but the Live Extras is missing from the Top Menu.

My Oppo 83 will load and play the titles but you must disable BD Live. The Oppo will display the Live Extras in the Top Menu but when you try to use it the player will freeze up.

post #1006 of 1076 Old 11-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Did the BD Live features work? My Pioneer 320 will load and play the titles but the Live Extras is missing from the Top Menu.

My Oppo 83 will load and play the titles but you must disable BD Live. The Oppo will display the Live Extras in the Top Menu but when you try to use it the player will freeze up.

I don't normally use BD Live, but I did test this for you on my BH200. It argued with me at first because it did not like the 8gb flash drive I used. Then I switched to a 4gb Kingston and BD Live then worked fine I think. I watched one or two features using "streaming" and even downloaded another feature. My verdict: It seems to work OK.
Hope this helps you in some small way.
erray
post #1007 of 1076 Old 11-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erray View Post

I don't normally use BD Live, but I did test this for you on my BH200. It argued with me at first because it did not like the 8gb flash drive I used. Then I switched to a 4gb Kingston and BD Live then worked fine I think. I watched one or two features using "streaming" and even downloaded another feature. My verdict: It seems to work OK.
Hope this helps you in some small way.
erray

Thanks for testing this. I have to do a test for Oppo tonight as they want me to use a flash drive for storage instead of the internal storage. I'm surprised that the BH 200 is not having any problems.

Is was going to sell this player but I am going to hang on to it for a while.

post #1008 of 1076 Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for testing this. I have to do a test for Oppo tonight as they want me to use a flash drive for storage instead of the internal storage. I'm surprised that the BH 200 is not having any problems.

Is was going to sell this player but I am going to hang on to it for a while.
I'm also keeping mine. By the way, I did just sell my 83 and will get the 93 as soon as it is ready.
erray
post #1009 of 1076 Old 11-21-2010, 08:46 AM

Liked: 11
I can verify this. I have an Onkyo 705 and I have major audio drops during that scene you mention, and also during the Legend of the Boneknapper - going off of the bitstream fixed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

LG sent me a firmware disc a while back when I emailed them about not being able to install the firmware either through ethernet or USB. I did not try it (until last night), because I just assumed it would error out like the rest. But last night, after having massive audio dropouts in the final battle scene of How to Train Your Dragon, I decided to give it a try. The good news... the firware disc actually worked. The bad news... the audio drop outs remained.

I tried HTTYD using a different HDMI cable with the LG and had the exact same problem. So, I tried it on my PS3 fatty through multi-channel PCM and it worked fine. I switched the LG to PCM Multi-channel, and it worked fine.

I did some research and it appears that some other people using this and other players and other receivers also had this problem when bitstreaming (and a few when using PCM) on this movie. It could be a bad batch of discs, or it could be something about certain players. However, if you are having audio drop out issues, you may want to switch to multi-channel PCM. You won't get the pretty logos on your receiver or pre/pro, but it might reduce or eliminate the audio drop-outs you are getting when using bitstream and you should still be getting lossless audio.

*Note, this is with an Onkyo TX-NR3007 receiver.

post #1010 of 1076 Old 12-08-2010, 01:55 PM

I have two BH200 players, both at Dec. 2008 firm ware and the only titles out of about 100 that both have problems with is Blu DISNEY Toy Story (1,2,3) and Alice in Wonderland. I haven't tried Snow White or other Disney that gives everyone (not just BH200 users) problems. So, I point the finger at DISNEY for doing something (besides the annoying forced previews) that cause issues. I think it relates to forcing BD live and requiring an internet connection. Titles like CARS, Wall-e and UP work perfectly for me. New releases like Sound of Music, Last of the Mohicans, and The Mission work perfectly.

One of my players did have problems with Taking Lives and Mongol the other one did not. Then Season 3 SD DVD of Saving Grace would not play on either because that evil release was enforcing Region 1, and I set both players to be region free. So I had to play it on my beloved Toshiba HD player. It is the only title I have experienced that particular problem.

Another issue is Blu_ray, and the ever changing standard. Why do people expect a DISCONTINUED player like the BH200 to be forever supported for ever whim that Blu-Ray releases incorporate? Neither the old SD DVD or HD-DVD world was like this.

I think the anger should be directed at the studios (I think especially Disney) and the Blu-Ray Forum for causing this mess.
post #1011 of 1076 Old 12-09-2010, 03:18 AM

Helen, I understand where you're coming from. However, each player stays in production around a year until the next model year comes out. By your logic, the manufacturer is off the hook for each model in a year or two. Support can't go on forever, but it should go for several years because they're designed to operate for many thousands of hours, which amounts to many years of use.

Manufacturer support behavior helps or hinders future sales, too. Since buying my LG, I've bought two more blu-ray players and they weren't LG. And whadaya know - both had new firmware last month, even though the first is also discontinued.

Back to the thread topic, I have a new clue: I have a couple discs that may show a read error and not play. I've found that if I clean them (even though they appear absolutely pristine), they then load. Very weird, but it has worked several times for me. I just use a squirt or two of glass plus and a soft microfiber towel and wipe radially, center to edge.
post #1012 of 1076 Old 12-09-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen B View Post
Why do people expect a DISCONTINUED player like the BH200 to be forever supported for ever whim that Blu-Ray releases incorporate? Neither the old SD DVD or HD-DVD world was like this.
Actually HD DVD was.

Not only did they release the firmware 3.0 update in May 2008 (5 months after the format 'died') but they then subsequently released another major firmware, 4.0, at the end of Sept 2008.

As far as SD DVD was concerned it's only major 'problems' were when dual layer discs came in and dye reading issues with DVD ROMs.

The fact is Blu-ray is a bit of a shifting mess, invariably done to clutch at the 'security' straw.
I do not think it is asking too much to make players (designed to be updated by firmware from the start) stay up to date; particularly players sold at a premium as fully capable of playing the format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen B View Post
I think the anger should be directed at the studios (I think especially Disney) and the Blu-Ray Forum for causing this mess.
I wouldn't disagree with this (I'd include Fox & Sony in the hit list too) but the BDA are supposed to have set up a standards unit to ensure uniformity and compatibility.
It's just a great pity that even at this stage, now 4.5yrs in, it obviously has its work cut out.
post #1013 of 1076 Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 AM

Anyone have Cronos? I've got it coming in the mail today and would love to watch it. My normal Blu-Ray player is out for repair, so I'm left with the BH200 as my only blu workhorse.
post #1014 of 1076 Old 12-17-2010, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxxerman001 View Post

It's just a great pity that even at this stage, now 4.5yrs in, it obviously has its work cut out.

Yes, I think at this point I can only recommend OPPO and PS3, as they are both well supported.

As for someone who wants a budget BD player, I think Steve Jobs said it best: "Blu-ray is a bag of hurt."
post #1015 of 1076 Old 12-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

Yes, I think at this point I can only recommend OPPO and PS3, as they are both well supported.

As for someone who wants a budget BD player, I think Steve Jobs said it best: "Blu-ray is a bag of hurt."

I would stay away from OPPO also because the last firmware update for the BDP 83 was in May of 2010 and there is a long list of problems that need to be addressed. Also they pre released the BDP 93 and it appears there is a growing list of problems with this player to. I wondering if OPPO is able to take care of two players at once.
I would recommend either sony or panasonic for Blu ray disc play back because even their legacy players are very well supported.

As for Steve Jobs, it is funny he would say this since he was one of the biggest mouth pieces for Blu ray during the format war. He also still is/was on the board of Disney Corp who also is one of the biggest supporters of Blu ray, along with Fox, especially during the format war.

post #1016 of 1076 Old 12-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Good news.
On 31st Oct I posted that I'd had my 1st problem disc & a refusal to play (Army of Crime, an excellent film btw).
The new disc came today and plays perfectly, so I guess it was just a faulty individual disc or short run of the discs.
post #1017 of 1076 Old 12-22-2010, 12:09 AM

Whats the value of a used BH-200??(has everything but box) I have one and dont use it much. I also have a BH-100 that gave up on reading discs..constant disc error when one is loaded.

I have installed a few of the Oppo 83SE units and its a shame they are not making them anymore, but the new 95 looks promising
post #1018 of 1076 Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Avatar the Extended version takes forever to load and start playing. twice already my BH200 turns off while its trying to play it. have to turn back on and try again. It did that as well with another blu ray awhile back, forgot which one but its like the player is having more trouble playing Newer blu ray movies from the start. there is a new update but after i finish updating and turn off and turn back, it still shows the original update version that was downloaded before.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #1019 of 1076 Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

Avatar the Extended version takes forever to load and start playing. twice already my BH200 turns off while its trying to play it. have to turn back on and try again. It did that as well with another blu ray awhile back, forgot which one but its like the player is having more trouble playing Newer blu ray movies from the start.

Strange mine is fine with it.
Maybe try truning off the BD Live might help (although mine is on)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

there is a new update but after i finish updating and turn off and turn back, it still shows the original update version that was downloaded before.

I found that with mine, ignore it, it's a bug. You have the latest firmware if it says LG_BH_BH02100330A.
post #1020 of 1076 Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxxerman001 View Post

Strange mine is fine with it.
Maybe try truning off the BD Live might help (although mine is on)?

I found that with mine, ignore it, it's a bug. You have the latest firmware if it says LG_BH_BH02100330A.

yeah the BH0210040A firmware wont install completely

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page