LG BH200 - Known Disc Issues - Page 35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1021 of 1076 Old 01-29-2011, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
champer

I think the bug is a basic bit of mislabelling, the lastest firmware is BH02100330A, even though the LG site will tell your player there is another new one after you install that one
(the firmware supposedly BH0210040A , which doesn't really exist).

Surprised it's still there (I had this annoyance months ago) and just been left like that to annoy & confuse but everything I've read (and good informed & connected people like SSM here have answered) says it's LG's problem not the players or ours.

Good luck with the Avatar - did you try clearing your memory & disabling BD Live?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1076 Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrykewy View Post

FYI, I was originally having the TS3 problems mentioned on the last page- an indefinite hang up after the language selection screen. I was able to get the disc playing perfectly after doing the following:

1. "update" the firmware online (I think this just toggled to the other 0702 firmware) variation.

2. Left the player connected online, and inserted a 1GB thumb drive.

3. Changed the BD live settings in the menu to permitted (it was previously set to the middle setting; partially permitted, IIRC).

Unfortunately I did all three of these things at once, so I'm not sure which fixed my problem, but some combination of these did.

I had to update to the 03/10 firmware awhile back because Avatar wouldn't work. Now I get the hang up at the language screen for TS3. Such a pain, the biggest thing is I don't have access to internet at my house so I can't just download a simple fix and be done. I have to burn a disc and hope that it works. Its a very tedious process for something that might not even work. Has a surefire fix been pinpointed? I got this movie for my kids for Christmas and they still haven't gotten to watch it!

I want my HDTV!
XBL: FNruthless
post #1023 of 1076 Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I guess I should mention that Shrek 3 and How to Train Your Dragon had dropouts during the most bass intensive scenes. Also Happy Feet doesn't work with the lastest firmware update but plays find with all the previous ones... of course there are problems with some Disney animation titles with the older firmware so... I can't win either way... I just keep selection of firmware updates on hand for every occasion... its all sooo ridiculous really.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #1024 of 1076 Old 02-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

I guess I should mention that Shrek 3 and How to Train Your Dragon had dropouts during the most bass intensive scenes.

Are you bitstreaming? I had the dropout in HTTYD (at the end of the big fight), but changing it to multi-channel PCM fixed that. Sucks that I don't see the little blue light light up on my receiver, but it works.

John
post #1025 of 1076 Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4yDubs View Post

Are you bitstreaming? I had the dropout in HTTYD (at the end of the big fight), but changing it to multi-channel PCM fixed that. Sucks that I don't see the little blue light light up on my receiver, but it works.

John

Yeah I was bitstreaming it but I also did try PCM and though it doesn't drop out it lacks the same visceral bass effects, not to mention I have to turn the AVR volume way up like 15dBs or so to even get it to the same SPL in-room and even then the strong bass kick is still missing.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #1026 of 1076 Old 03-24-2011, 12:39 AM

Has anybody else had the problem that if you set the audio to pass through when playing a HDDVD it outputs digital noise. It is OK with blu-ray, but not HDDVD. So, I have to switch to multichannel audio for HDDVD. What I find strange is when I set audio to DTS remix, it plays through on that setting without noise. I was just curious if anybody else had this problem?
post #1027 of 1076 Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM

Not for me. Mine works fine. Perhaps it is a combination of the AV receiver you have and the HDMI implementation ?

Oh, did you mean the SPDI/F ? If so, I take it all back. I have no idea what it doesn then.
post #1028 of 1076 Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 PM

It is hooked up to the Onkyo SR508 with HDMI. I really only use the BH200 for HDDVD playback, but I did test it with Blu-ray and it passes all the formats just fine. It is kind of weird and I don't know when it started. I even tried loading the last firmware update again just to see if that would work, but it didn't. Anyway, thank you for the reply.
post #1029 of 1076 Old 04-29-2011, 01:36 PM

The Dirty Harry The Enforcer Blu-ray (from the Dirty Harry UK Box) does not play. After a while, I get Disk Error. The same happens to the UK Blu-ray Jonah Hex.
post #1030 of 1076 Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM

StardustOne

It's working on mine, but it might be because IIRC I rolled back to the april 08 firmware to play burned BD -Rs.
post #1031 of 1076 Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Oh crap, I just found out that my BD200 player does not play back any Blu-ray anymore .

Trying to re-install the same firmware now. Downloading it from LG Canada with 201KB/s speed (wow that is extremely slow).

Okay, it still plays HD-DVDs, firmware April 2008 installed, trying Blu-ray. No luck. Then I cleared all the storage, made a factory reset and wow it plays Blu-ray, again. Now I am going to flash the 2010 Firmware, again, and hope everything will be back to normal. That machine was a troublemaker right from the start, got killed last year by a struck of lightning and has been repaired for about 400 bucks. So it better be working this time, or else .

No, did not work. Went back to the 2010 firmware, disks that played with the April 2008 one do not play anymore with the latest version. Well the piece of junk player finally transformed itself into real junk.
post #1032 of 1076 Old 05-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Bad luck StardustOne.
I can only say (so far at least) my experience with this machine has been excellent, I have yet to even need to swap firmwares to get any of my discs to play (other than rolling back to that april 08 firmware for my own burnt BD -R/-REs).
For instance I was amazed to find Avatar played with the old firmware.

I did try a DVD in it and the player shut down after thinking about it for a while so I decided not to press the point with that one (why would I worry, I have a Pioneer DV600 for that anyways).
That's the only fault I have found so far with mine (oh and it has been picky about a few HD DVDs - but I have an Xbox HD DVD add-on which cost next to nothing for those problem discs).
Thank God mine hasn't suffered a lightning strike tho!

I have off and on considered selling this machine on and going back to a dedicated HD DVD player and a much more up to date Blu-ray player but tbh from what I've seen on the forums all Blu-ray players have their PITA moments (and no, I have no interest in buying a PS3, one game console is plenty thanks).
post #1033 of 1076 Old 05-07-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear that StardustOne.

The BH200 has always been slow to load blu-rays/hd-dvds but otherwise I've found it to be excellent.

It refused to play the UK "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" HD-DVD but it could've been a dodgy copy. I was selling it anyway so never bothered to get it replaced. That said, the person I sold it to never said it was faulty.

Otherwise 100% of discs have worked perfectly. I've struggled to get BD Live to work but A: I've never bothered to stick a USB Stick in, so that's likely why and B: I don't care about BD Live anyway.
post #1034 of 1076 Old 05-12-2011, 12:39 AM

HI
As my bh is playing up ive taken the plunge and bought a toshiba hd dvd player for next to nothing off fleebay and with the price of hd dvds at rock bottom,its gotta be worth {plus better than blu ray} i just cant bear to part with the lg its just strange that all new titles on blu ray will play no problem yet my old blu rays are not playing keep getting disc error,but covered that as well as i have another blu ray player lg that i got next to nothing,funny now ive put this up i now realise i have
lgbh200
lgbd655
toshiba ep90
pioner multi region us player blu ray ..that i never got to work {copy protected message so thats up in loft}

damn thats a lot of stuff just to watch a movie
post #1035 of 1076 Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 PM

Any chance somebody could check 2 discs for me? Both were bought in Canada, so not sure if there's any difference from US versions. Latest firmware installed.

1) American Gangster - won't play on the BH200, but does play on my HD-A35. Assume it's a disc error.

2) Atonement - audio works fine in the menu, but when I start the movie, I get nothing from the 1st audio track during the entire movie, although tracks 2 & 3 are fine (French & Commentary.) Neither bitstream nor internal decoding work.
post #1036 of 1076 Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post

Any chance somebody could check 2 discs for me? Both were bought in Canada, so not sure if there's any difference from US versions. Latest firmware installed.

1) American Gangster - won't play on the BH200, but does play on my HD-A35. Assume it's a disc error.

2) Atonement - audio works fine in the menu, but when I start the movie, I get nothing from the 1st audio track during the entire movie, although tracks 2 & 3 are fine (French & Commentary.) Neither bitstream nor internal decoding work.

I can't help you on AG since I have the US release and afaIK it plays fine in my BH200. However Atonement has a known bug with it's English DD+ audio track. I have the US release, but the ca should be the same except for the cover art text. I know on the Sammy up5K player that you have to use internal decode to get the audio to work. Can't recall if you need to set it to PCM or if you have to take it all the way to DTS re-encode to get it to play the audio. I was not aware that this affected the BH200 as well. I can't verify that one either since mine is not connected to an AVR, but when I have a chance I will try to play it on the TV and see if I get audio form the LG BH.

In the meantime try DTS re-encode and see if that helps. AG I think is a web enabled title? If so you might try disconnecting/disabling the Internet connection before loading the disc. On the Sammy up5k if you leave the Internet connection on it will stall and/or not load at all since all of those web sites have now been closed down.
post #1037 of 1076 Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 PM

Perfect on both counts. I had Atonement set for PCM, and didn't think of DTS re-encode, and that worked. Never would have thought about it. Thanks for sure on that one!

American Gangster... definitely is web enabled, and I forgot that I had the cable plugged in! Thanks for the reminder - I had to do it in the past for Bourne Ultimatum, but hadn't thought about it in ages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

I can't help you on AG since I have the US release and afaIK it plays fine in my BH200. However Atonement has a known bug with it's English DD+ audio track. I have the US release, but the ca should be the same except for the cover art text. I know on the Sammy up5K player that you have to use internal decode to get the audio to work. Can't recall if you need to set it to PCM or if you have to take it all the way to DTS re-encode to get it to play the audio. I was not aware that this affected the BH200 as well. I can't verify that one either since mine is not connected to an AVR, but when I have a chance I will try to play it on the TV and see if I get audio form the LG BH.

In the meantime try DTS re-encode and see if that helps. AG I think is a web enabled title? If so you might try disconnecting/disabling the Internet connection before loading the disc. On the Sammy up5k if you leave the Internet connection on it will stall and/or not load at all since all of those web sites have now been closed down.

post #1038 of 1076 Old 06-17-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
(Actually not an issue, but..) rented and played John Carter of Mars in (2D) yesterday. Played well, looked great (disc had a little "multipathing" from a scratch). YMMV, as I currently don't have surround connected, and have never updated my player from its original firmware. In fact, it has played every disc I've ever thrown at it (about 30 to date).

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #1039 of 1076 Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

(Actually not an issue, but..) rented and played John Carter of Mars in (2D) yesterday. Played well, looked great (disc had a little "multipathing" from a scratch). YMMV, as I currently don't have surround connected, and have never updated my player from its original firmware. In fact, it has played every disc I've ever thrown at it (about 30 to date).
Since you bumped this thread, it seems I never did post here that I had trouble with my HD-DVD of "300" on this player, such that I had to eject the disc and continue playback with another (XA1) whereupon it played-through just fine.

Since 300 is likely a popular HD-DVD, I always assumed there was some problem with my BH200 player, or others would have raised this here.
post #1040 of 1076 Old 06-19-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

My (dead-format) copy of 300 played fine on this unit; I haven't watched it in over a year, though.

"But I didn't do it...!"
post #1041 of 1076 Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks rezzy--I had a notion it was my BH200 to blame, or there'd have been an uproar here (300 being a popular title, I'd think).
post #1042 of 1076 Old 06-23-2012, 02:12 PM

Does anyone have the problem of not hearing PIP audio on Blu-rays? When I turn on PIP on 2012 and T2 Skynet Edition, whenever a PIP box pops up, the PIP audio is supposed to kick in, but it never does. I can only hear the movie's audio. On PowerDVD 8 Ultra, PIP audio works. My LG BH200 already has the latest 2010 firmware. I don't see this as a known issue in the first post. So does anyone have this issue?
post #1043 of 1076 Old 06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_y View Post

Does anyone have the problem of not hearing PIP audio on Blu-rays? When I turn on PIP on 2012 and T2 Skynet Edition, whenever a PIP box pops up, the PIP audio is supposed to kick in, but it never does. I can only hear the movie's audio. On PowerDVD 8 Ultra, PIP audio works. My LG BH200 already has the latest 2010 firmware. I don't see this as a known issue in the first post. So does anyone have this issue?

Set the player to DTS Re-encode. These older players, including the Sammy 5K combo can't stream the audiophile HD track and the PIP or other stuff at the same time. You will also notice that some BDs (and HDs for that matter) will now have menu sounds/tones when you switch to DTS re-encode.

At least that has been my experience, YMmV. I am assuming a bunch of things here...
post #1044 of 1076 Old 06-24-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Set the player to DTS Re-encode. These older players, including the Sammy 5K combo can't stream the audiophile HD track and the PIP or other stuff at the same time. You will also notice that some BDs (and HDs for that matter) will now have menu sounds/tones when you switch to DTS re-encode.
At least that has been my experience, YMmV. I am assuming a bunch of things here...
Thanks, setting DTS re-encode fixed it. Or course, I must have "Primary Passthrough" to get lossless sound, since "DTS re-encode" is lossy (?). Also, I must reboot the disc to switch from DTS re-encode back to passthrough, and the BH200 could be very slow in booting up a disc. I guess it's time to start looking for another player.
post #1045 of 1076 Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 PM

I also got sick of this inability, so what I did was set up both an HDMI cable and an optical cable out of the player into my receiver. With my receiver, I set up the HDMI as the DVD input for both audio and video, and then the optical as the CD input (maybe it was tape, I can't remember now). So when I'm watching the movie, I am selecting DVD which outputs as primary pass-through and I get the lossless track. When I want to watch the P-I-P track, I select CD. My receiver uses the last used video input as the default during CD mode, so as long as I had it on DVD first, and then switch to CD, I get the optical output with the DTS re-encode paired with the HDMI video.

I'm pretty certain that there are no HD DVD players that will output the P-I-P track through the pass-through mode, so if you have any HD DVDs, you will have to utilize this method or a similar one to save from rebooting...

Quote:

Thanks, setting DTS re-encode fixed it. Or course, I must have "Primary Passthrough" to get lossless sound, since "DTS re-encode" is lossy (?). Also, I must reboot the disc to switch from DTS re-encode back to passthrough, and the BH200 could be very slow in booting up a disc. I guess it's time to start looking for another player.
post #1046 of 1076 Old 07-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, FWIW, I don't get any audio on my most recent Blu-ray rentals from Netflix (Tinker,Tailor,Soldier Spy and The Double Hour). I have to "reboot" the recorder to restore the sound, but it's hit and miss. I've got the final sofware update (which helped me watch "Invictus"), but I'm beginning to worry that the BH200 is not long for this world.
post #1047 of 1076 Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post

I also got sick of this inability, so what I did was set up both an HDMI cable and an optical cable out of the player into my receiver. With my receiver, I set up the HDMI as the DVD input for both audio and video, and then the optical as the CD input (maybe it was tape, I can't remember now). So when I'm watching the movie, I am selecting DVD which outputs as primary pass-through and I get the lossless track. When I want to watch the P-I-P track, I select CD. My receiver uses the last used video input as the default during CD mode, so as long as I had it on DVD first, and then switch to CD, I get the optical output with the DTS re-encode paired with the HDMI video.
I'm pretty certain that there are no HD DVD players that will output the P-I-P track through the pass-through mode, so if you have any HD DVDs, you will have to utilize this method or a similar one to save from rebooting...

Yes, no HD players that will integrate both audio, but "most" modern BD players have this feature. They usually call it secondary audio or something like that. My new Yammy "universal" player that I bought for SACD > HDMI since my current player is analog only out for SACD and to also suppliant my aging Sammy combo/duo player in the HT supports this and it is very nice. I still run my LG BH200 in the great room and have had very few problems with it. I will have to check out some of the discs that are reported to have no audio. I have't ran into that, but the LG hardly gets used. I bought it for a song and a dance and did the dance myself back when they were unloading them.
post #1048 of 1076 Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Thanks rezzy--I had a notion it was my BH200 to blame, or there'd have been an uproar here (300 being a popular title, I'd think).
Well....if that's the only title you're having trouble with, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if same symptoms begin to appear with playback of other titles on the 200, yeah, your unit might be going south..

"But I didn't do it...!"
post #1049 of 1076 Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 PM

Bummer, no love for The Hunger Games on the BH200. Latest firmware. Tried both bd live and non bd live without success, it just turns off the player.
post #1050 of 1076 Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgantert View Post

Bummer, no love for The Hunger Games on the BH200. Latest firmware. Tried both bd live and non bd live without success, it just turns off the player.
Can't edit my original post, but this disc does play, but you need to unplug your network cable and remove the USB Drive. I was just removing the USB Drive to disable BD-Live, but I guess without physically unplugging the network cable, BD-Live is still enabled. Oh well!
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page