LG BH200 - Known Disc Issues - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 1076 Old 05-09-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My machine tried to load multiple times, but would stall and refuse to play Haywire. Its firmware has never been updated, and I'm a little leery of trying at this point. Guess I'm gonna have to get a new BD player probably sooner than later.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1076 Old 10-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I've now tried to load two different copies of "Now You See Me" and each time I get "Disc Error" and the BH200 barfs out the tray. I haven't had any issues with DVDs since I upgraded the firmware (it's the latest, according to the BH-200 FAQ thread there are no more).

Before I spring for a Sony BDS-5100, has anyone had any experience with this title or with any very new title failing to load on the BH200? Does it have something to do with the "UV"?

Any info would be appreciated.
post #1053 of 1076 Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post

Well, I've now tried to load two different copies of "Now You See Me" and each time I get "Disc Error" and the BH200 barfs out the tray. I haven't had any issues with DVDs since I upgraded the firmware (it's the latest, according to the BH-200 FAQ thread there are no more).

Before I spring for a Sony BDS-5100, has anyone had any experience with this title or with any very new title failing to load on the BH200? Does it have something to do with the "UV"?

I rented this one (a rental disc) but it played fine on my BH200 using the April 2008 firmware.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #1054 of 1076 Old 10-09-2013, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I rented this one (a rental disc) but it played fine on my BH200 using the April 2008 firmware.

I got it from Netflix, then they sent me a replacement (it wasn't the same one since they sent it before receiving my old one). When the second one behaved exactly as the first one did (again, wouldn't even load, just "Disc Error") I decided it was time to consider an updated player (rather, a player that could be updated).

After posting I decided what the h**l, I had enough card points to get a 5100 so I ordered one. Sooner or later I'll probably need it anyway. My only reservation is that I sometimes like to play foreign DVDs (up to now not Blu-ray, but who knows in the future) so it might be better for me to order the region-free 5100 player.

But I digress. I don't recall what date my firmware is, I just recall checking several times that it was the last one issued. If April 2008 wasn't the last then I supposed it's POSSIBLE the later one introduced this issue, if not then I don't know what's going on. Regardless, I figure the DVD ought to play in ONE of them. smile.gif

Thanks for posting your info.
post #1055 of 1076 Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I got it from Netflix, then they sent me a replacement (it wasn't the same one since they sent it before receiving my old one). When the second one behaved exactly as the first one did (again, wouldn't even load, just "Disc Error") I decided it was time to consider an updated player (rather, a player that could be updated).

After posting I decided what the h**l, I had enough card points to get a 5100 so I ordered one. Sooner or later I'll probably need it anyway. My only reservation is that I sometimes like to play foreign DVDs (up to now not Blu-ray, but who knows in the future) so it might be better for me to order the region-free 5100 player.

But I digress. I don't recall what date my firmware is, I just recall checking several times that it was the last one issued. If April 2008 wasn't the last then I supposed it's POSSIBLE the later one introduced this issue, if not then I don't know what's going on. Regardless, I figure the DVD ought to play in ONE of them. smile.gif

Thanks for posting your info.

April 2010 was the last firmware that I remember. The main BH200 thread has a list of all of them. It doesn't play other Blu-ray's either? If it plays none, it could be the Blu laser which would mean that the HD DVD and DVD functions should still work.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #1056 of 1076 Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, I checked the machine and it's at the last firmware and loader version. It actually has played virtually every BR disc I've thrown at it, it's just this title. I'll double check that list you mentioned but I ASSuMEd that it wouldn't have been updated to reflect this new a release.

Thanks for the post.
post #1057 of 1076 Old 10-12-2013, 08:07 PM

Had an issue with Dredd. I thought it was a bad disc but it wasnt. The movie will play for only the first 30 minutes then it just hangs.

XBOX LIVE: fastspoony
post #1058 of 1076 Old 10-26-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

My machine tried to load multiple times, but would stall and refuse to play Haywire. Its firmware has never been updated, and I'm a little leery of trying at this point. Guess I'm gonna have to get a new BD player probably sooner than later.

It probably requires one of the updates. I did not try Haywire in the BH200 when I rented it, but it played fine in my Sammy 5k. If you have never updated you can download the file tom the bh200 FAQ thread. Just search for it. The info in the top of this thread is way old. I haven't had any trouble with any disc in the latest update and driver. Course we rarely use the LG. I usually try out any disc that someone complains about here or the FAQ page if I own it or happen to rent it. I think I rented Haywire before this post.

Good luck if you are still out there.
post #1059 of 1076 Old 10-26-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now You See Me loads up and plays fine on mine. Both the extended and theatrical. I'm running the latest publicly available firmware 20100330 whatever from 3/30/10 AKA from 04/01/2010 and the latest drive 0702 or whatever it is according to the FAQ page. It does take an enormous amount of time to load even before the Summit/Lionsgate loading idler. I was worried there for a min. But all 3 times I loaded it, all was well. Very fast and responsive after the initial lengthy pause.

No disc errors at all.
post #1060 of 1076 Old 10-26-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdguynextdoor View Post

Had an issue with Dredd. I thought it was a bad disc but it wasnt. The movie will play for only the first 30 minutes then it just hangs.

Dang I returned my copy that I bought used online. I rented it and it had frame skipping and audio drop issues with the Sammy BH200 and I did not even think to try it in the BH200. I then bought a copy and it still had issues. I had to return some other stuff to the same online retailer so I returned the Dredd as well. I guess now that it has been out a long time I can either buy another copy or rent it again to check it out. The Sammy 5k just got an update a week or so ago, so I need to try it again to see if there is any improvement or if it plays in the BH200 or not. I also have a Yammy to play any discs that don't play in the other two.
post #1061 of 1076 Old 10-26-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I looked back at my noted about Dredd in the Sammy 5K thread and I did not have frame skipping issues, just audio drops. And they started ~30 min. in. Sounds like the same issue and I had it with 3 different discs. 2 rented from Redbox (different discs and Kiosks) and a previously viewed rental from one of my favorite online haunts. Could be something with the rentals specifically. I don't recall if that was a rental/cheep version issue. Lionsgate released a few movies over the past couple years that lack lossless audio and all the rental outlets of course rented those versions, but I recall Dredd being DTS-HD MA 7.1 and that is what HD Digest says it is. I also only see one version of it on Amazon. It is a hybrid 2D/3D only release and that could have something to do with it. The 5K played it fine but it had major audio issues after the 1st 30 min. I see that it is in a Kiosk not too far away from me so I think I will use a free code and go rent it (or upgrade my Redbox instant to BD capability since I am out of the 1st month for free anyhow).
post #1062 of 1076 Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I can confirm issued with Dredd. It plays video fine but starting ~00:29:44 audio starts cutting out. Very simelar to issues on Sammy 5k running older firmware. I tried both audio options including the dd 2.0 compressed option and also PCM and pass thru options with same drops. Oddly it plays through the gatteling gun sequence just fine. That one kills the 5k with old firmware. I suspect the issues are simelar. Since internal decode does not work for the drops I think this is a mastering issue? Now fixed in Sammy. Also this disc does not trip up my newish high end yammy.
post #1063 of 1076 Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Now You See Me loads up and plays fine on mine. Both the extended and theatrical. I'm running the latest publicly available firmware 20100330 whatever from 3/30/10 AKA from 04/01/2010 and the latest drive 0702 or whatever it is according to the FAQ page. It does take an enormous amount of time to load even before the Summit/Lionsgate loading idler. I was worried there for a min. But all 3 times I loaded it, all was well. Very fast and responsive after the initial lengthy pause.

No disc errors at all.

Interesting. As I say, I wait but get the error message and the BH200 ejects the disc, so it's not a matter of patience. The reason is most likely unknowable.

Regardless, it's not worth me doing any more experimentation: The Sony 5100 was so cheap (I used my card points) that getting one was a no brainer. I can always TRY discs in the BH200 but at least I know I now have a machine that should play everything out there (well, except HD-DVDs). smile.gif

Thanks for the info.
post #1064 of 1076 Old 10-28-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. As I say, I wait but get the error message and the BH200 ejects the disc, so it's not a matter of patience. The reason is most likely unknowable.

Regardless, it's not worth me doing any more experimentation: The Sony 5100 was so cheap (I used my card points) that getting one was a no brainer. I can always TRY discs in the BH200 but at least I know I now have a machine that should play everything out there (well, except HD-DVDs). smile.gif

Thanks for the info.

Most likely a flaky/bad/picky loader than anything else. I think you mentioned you had tried multiple copies of the movie?

One thing to try is a lens cleaner disk like the one Maxell makes. The one with the wind tunnel action. Amazon sells them and there are several different versions, but they are all the same. It has worked wonders for folks that own the Sammy 5K. you can also use one with a brush like a Bib or DiscWasher. And further you can brute force things and open it up and clean the laster lens manually with 100% pure alcohol and a lint free swab. Sadly the loaders in the combo players are really sensitive to things and they also get out of alignment easily. Having different lasers in the same pickup further complicates things. The combos were not out long enough for wither company to perfect them and make them more trouble free. It actually amazes me that they even work at all. I am on my 2rd used loader in my Sammy. The original stopped playing just certain Lionsgate discs and I replaced it with a used one I picked up from a parts supplier on eBay. That one eventually developed a problem with BDs that were longer than around 2 hours and were multi-layer etc. Mostly really long movies like A.I. The one I am running in it now is from a broken player I picked up on eBay that would not boot and took a gamble that the loader was sound. So far the best one I have found. Fortunately we haven't put many miles on the LG and haven't had issues with it, yet.
post #1065 of 1076 Old 01-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Last Updated OP: May 1st 2010

If you have an issue with a title please include the following: Title of Movie, Orgin of title (USA, UK, Germany etc) & your current Firmware. A Disc is not considered a LG BH200 Problem Disc until it's been confirmed by more than one user.

Problem Discs:
Firmware BHXXXXX - 2010-04-25: (Avatar fix Update)

Unless it says otherwise, titles have not been tested with other firmware! All are USA releases (both Blu-ray and HD DVD) unless otherwise noted.

*** FIXED in this Firmware *** (Titles that previously didn't work but now do)
*** Reported by only ONE user: ***
13.HD DVD: Resident Evil 1 - ill not play, probably due to the ICT (Image Constraint Token) flag used. However, there is a workaround: Insert disc, wait till disc loads and press chapter jump BEFORE menu is loaded completely. Timing is crucial.

14. HD DVD: Resident Evil 2 German - Will not play, probably due to the ICT (Image Constraint Token) flag used. However, there is a workaround: Insert disc, wait till disc loads and press chapter jump BEFORE menu is loaded completely. Timing is crucial.

I confirm the problem on Resident Evil 1 & 2, as well as 3 : Resident Evil Extinction.
I have the latest firmware [LG_BH_LV221BH_BH02100330A.ROM].
All HD-DVDs made by Constantin Films.
The workaround worked for all 3.
post #1066 of 1076 Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I can confirm issued with Dredd. It plays video fine but starting ~00:29:44 audio starts cutting out. Very simelar to issues on Sammy 5k running older firmware. I tried both audio options including the dd 2.0 compressed option and also PCM and pass thru options with same drops. Oddly it plays through the gatteling gun sequence just fine. That one kills the 5k with old firmware. I suspect the issues are simelar. Since internal decode does not work for the drops I think this is a mastering issue? Now fixed in Sammy. Also this disc does not trip up my newish high end yammy.

I've been finding that its probably a change in the mastering of the disc. For some reason, older players didn't have all right components or software to properly decode/stream these new sound mastering changes.

I hunted high and low for a player that would play stuff in LPCM or MPCM with some problem discs (since it would handle them just fine converting them to PCM) and had to settle on the Panasonic DMP-BDT500P to fix these issue without having to convert to PCM anything (aka. bitstream them).

Hopefully, it doesn't come to that for you, since I know many of you use this player for both HD DVD and BR discs.

Best of luck.

-troy
post #1067 of 1076 Old 01-26-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller View Post

I've been finding that its probably a change in the mastering of the disc. For some reason, older players didn't have all right components or software to properly decode/stream these new sound mastering changes.

I hunted high and low for a player that would play stuff in LPCM or MPCM with some problem discs (since it would handle them just fine converting them to PCM) and had to settle on the Panasonic DMP-BDT500P to fix these issue without having to convert to PCM anything (aka. bitstream them).

Hopefully, it doesn't come to that for you, since I know many of you use this player for both HD DVD and BR discs.

Best of luck.

-troy

Yes, it is for sure a mastering issue that is now fixed on the Sammy but not not the LG. I haven't been keeping track if LG has been releasing any more updates. Also it isn't a bitstream issue per se as I had the audio problems even with my LG that is just hooked to a TV with HDMI. We don't use that player very often so I'm not that aware of disc issues, unless someone posts here about them.
post #1068 of 1076 Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Yes, it is for sure a mastering issue that is now fixed on the Sammy but not not the LG. I haven't been keeping track if LG has been releasing any more updates. Also it isn't a bitstream issue per se as I had the audio problems even with my LG that is just hooked to a TV with HDMI. We don't use that player very often so I'm not that aware of disc issues, unless someone posts here about them.

I also have a Sony S5100 and it won't play the Disney discs worth a $h1t....and to play them, you have to change to PCM output (which would be fine if it and the BH200 did anything other than PCM2.0).

-troy
post #1069 of 1076 Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller View Post

I also have a Sony S5100 and it won't play the Disney discs worth a $h1t....and to play them, you have to change to PCM output (which would be fine if it and the BH200 did anything other than PCM2.0).

-troy

Interesting. I would be interested in hearing more about the Disney playability/sound issues yo have. The reason is that recently I have ran into a strange echo sound effect that happens with some newish Disney moves that have DTS-HD MA. Seems to be some interaction with the mastering, the Denon AV-1909/789 (and some '10 models as well) and certain HDPs. I have the issue with the sound even with my newish Yammy player.

Correct me if I am wrong since I have never had the BG200 connected to my AVR for any extended period of time, but I thought for sure that it will convert the core DTS 5.1 to MPCM out the HDMI and also does the same for DDTHD? Years ago I had to rob the BH200 from the boss and connect to the HT to play a couple movies that would not play on the Sammy 5K. However I bitstreamed the handful of moves that I could not play before I had other alternatives.
post #1070 of 1076 Old 04-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Are you guys continuing to see issues with new discs? I recently brought back out my BH200 since my HTPC is getting old. Sounds like Dredd is a disc that has issues along with some Disney titles. Everything else playing okay?
post #1071 of 1076 Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

Are you guys continuing to see issues with new discs? I recently brought back out my BH200 since my HTPC is getting old. Sounds like Dredd is a disc that has issues along with some Disney titles. Everything else playing okay?

All in all there are not that many discs that don't play that I am aware of. Mine does not get regular use, but all the discs we have thrown at it have played. Dredd is the only one recently that I had issues with and I had those issues with multiple players. The comment about Disney issues I hope was just with a Sony player. I have never had issues with Disney titles on the BH200. Mine is up to the latest code that I am aware of and has been that way for quite some time. Back before I had my Yammy SACD/DVD-Audio player I used to use the BH200 to play discs that would not play in my Sammy BD-UP5000. I think there are still a couple more discs that don't play in the 5K that play in the BH and the BH has fewer discs that don't play (if any nowadays) so all in all not too many issues and less than some other players? Bubble HD-DVD won't play in the Sammy and I haven't tried it in the BH yet and I should. I know it plays in my Tosh A35 (or at least it should haven't had it out of storage for many years now).
post #1072 of 1076 Old 04-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Great, thanks for the info. I popped in Hunger Games Catching Fire and it spun right up. Looks like it should treat me well until it dies.
post #1073 of 1076 Old 06-07-2014, 06:22 PM

Problem disc?

Latest firmware

Princess Mononoke Uk blu

US system

Region code changed to 20 on the 4th hex value

The disc menu plays fine and has no problems. I select play and the the loading icon displays on the players screen for about 30 seconds then the player just powers off.

Any ideas?
post #1074 of 1076 Old 06-07-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbormatt View Post

Problem disc?

Latest firmware

Princess Mononoke Uk blu

US system

Region code changed to 20 on the 4th hex value

The disc menu plays fine and has no problems. I select play and the the loading icon displays on the players screen for about 30 seconds then the player just powers off.

Any ideas?

Buy the Japanese release you can get it for around $40 if you hunt. Wait for the US release. Download the MKV in the meantime. Or maybe just watch it on DVD while you wait for it to be released here as well as Spirited Away. Odd since one of these days I was going to watch Spirited Away and I only have it on DVD of course. It hasn't been that long since I watched PM. Probably some odd bug that will never get fixed since non-region A discs are not supported. Have you tried with and without the player connected to the Internet. Have you tried hitting stop then disc menu after. Have you tried starting it from the main screen I.E. select the disc after going to the main menu on the player. Tried with and without a memory stick installed? Those are some of the things that have made other discs load. My guess is that even though you have hacked the player to play region B it is detecting something that it does not like. Sometimes if you force the menu and disc language to English some discs will play also.
post #1075 of 1076 Old 06-14-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
FYI - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels does NOT work on the BH200 - gets to the FBI screen, then stops before it can play the MGM lion logo that leads off the film. Tried on two different BH200's, confirmed disc is good as it plays on the PS4. It actually locked up one the of BH200's, had to unplug it from the wall, wait a few minutes, then restart, otherwise it'd just lock at Please Wait.

Something definitely hinkey about this release...
post #1076 of 1076 Old 06-14-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post
FYI - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels does NOT work on the BH200 - gets to the FBI screen, then stops before it can play the MGM lion logo that leads off the film. Tried on two different BH200's, confirmed disc is good as it plays on the PS4. It actually locked up one the of BH200's, had to unplug it from the wall, wait a few minutes, then restart, otherwise it'd just lock at Please Wait.

Something definitely hinkey about this release...
This might be related to changes that Fox/MGM made starting in late 2012. Several players started having various problems loading and playing releases by them at that time. You try to hit stop once or twice when it starts to lock up then try disc menu or title menu. I don't own that movie so I can't test it. Since LG hasn't released an update since then I would suspect that many Fox/MGM/UA titles may have issues playing. I hadn't thought to try some that had issues in the Sammy combo in my BH200 but I will and see what happens. Life of Pi is a prominent title that needs a update and also is Skyfall which also happens to be a MGM/UA/Fox release. If either of those have issues that would be a bad thing.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page