LG BH200 - Known Disc Issues - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1076 Old 12-02-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been getting lots of audio dropouts on almost all discs lately. I'll see the receiver flash in the middle of the movie as if I changed audio tracks or something. I dunno if this is an HDMI issue or what. I might just switch to the June firmware at this point to see if it's a firmware issue. Has this happened with anyone else?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1076 Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same here getting a lot of dropouts again.... especially Hancock
post #93 of 1076 Old 12-02-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Does Hancock uses seamless branching or alternate angle feature? Is the only time I get audio drop outs with Blu-ray's or DVD's.
post #94 of 1076 Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM

The disc does include two versions of the movie, theatrical and unrated. So you may be on to something as Forgetting Sarah Marshall had the same issues....
post #95 of 1076 Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleybradt View Post

The disc does include two versions of the movie, theatrical and unrated. So you may be on to something as Forgetting Sarah Marshall had the same issues....

What firmware are you using? I had the same problems with Hancock until I updated to the June firmware.
post #96 of 1076 Old 12-02-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Does Hancock uses seamless branching or alternate angle feature? Is the only time I get audio drop outs with Blu-ray's or DVD's.

I had it on Enchanted...and the Backdraft HD DVD.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #97 of 1076 Old 12-02-2008, 10:51 AM

I am running the June Firmware
post #98 of 1076 Old 12-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
re my post about Alien vs Predator Requiem (#90) and the audio dropouts.

I forgot to mention that I am using the June firmware and 702 driver.

I bet that trying the various audio tracks sent from the BH 200 via it's optical output will still have audio dropouts on problem disc's as I have tried it with my non HDMI receiver.

This indicates to me that my BH 200 has a problem reading the audio track(s) of my Alien VPR Blu ray disc. This disc plays perfectly on my Panasonic 55.

I have also noticed some problems with "screen goes black" video droputs on a few of my HDDVD's.......Twighlight Zone The Movie and a few others I think.

These same HDDVD's play perfectly on my Toshiba HD-D3.

LG needs to provide proper firmware support etc........if not, I will never buy an LG prduct again. My unit is still under warranty for several more months and LG Canada better do something to rectify this.
post #99 of 1076 Old 12-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Many new BDs have the "feature" spanned over multiple files, using branching, compared to one file in older BDs.
Hancock uses 19 files (every other one alternates depending on what you chose: theatrical or unrated version).
My guess is that drop-outs may occur everytime a new branch is executed. This being said, I did not have any dropouts or any other artifacts on my BH200, but I use DTS re-encode (no HDMI receiver here...).

First branch in Hancock is when he drops the white SUV car on the "needle" building. Another one is when Ray starts to present his ideas in the boardroom, and yet another one when Charlize gets out of the bathroom in the evening. So - do you guys have the dropouts then? if yes, it is because of the branching, but it may be either the BH200 or the HDMI receiver. I think is important to nail this down and inform LG customer service on the details (it will definitely help the sw developers).
post #100 of 1076 Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
It would be a good idea to incorporate BD-UP5000 feedback here, too. Using Bitstreaming, I get a host of dropouts...don't remember the locations but I always assumed they were due to branching problems.
post #101 of 1076 Old 12-04-2008, 09:54 AM

I watched THE X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE last night on Blu-ray on my BH200 and noticed that the audio would completely cut out whenever I paused the movie and restarted it by pressing play. Then if I paused it again and pressed play again, the audio returned. I could reproduce this problem multiple times last night.

I didn't notice any video dropouts, but there was definitely some difficulty with menu navigation-----when I accessed the Special Features, the various options were illegible. I could tell that there were a few features/options to choose from, but the choices seemed to be obscured by the menu's dark background.

Anyone else here had the same issue? (I realize this title was just released two days ago, so I imagine not many of you have had the chance to check out this particular BD yet.) Anyone else had problems with recent Fox titles on the BH200?

For the record, by BH200 is connected directly to my Panasonic 720p plasma via HDMI, and I have the 2-channel audio outs connected to a stereo receiver with headphones. (I haven't experienced this audio dropout problem with any other discs on my current setup, but then again, I've only had the BH200 for a few weeks.) I am running June firmware with the latest driver (0702).
post #102 of 1076 Old 12-05-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This Christmas Blu-Ray won't load to the main menu. It starts with the loading "holly" graphic, but the main menu doesn't load. The BH200 recognizes me pressing the stuff on the remote, but won't advance. I'm running the April firmware.
post #103 of 1076 Old 12-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

This Christmas Blu-Ray won't load to the main menu. It starts with the loading "holly" graphic, but the main menu doesn't load. The BH200 recognizes me pressing the stuff on the remote, but won't advance. I'm running the April firmware.

Thanks for the report. Do you have another Blu-ray player that you can use to check out the disc itself?
post #104 of 1076 Old 12-05-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertF View Post

Thanks for the report. Do you have another Blu-ray player that you can use to check out the disc itself?

Nope. It works with the June firmware I just loaded. Now, I have to figure out how to fix the colors w/ the POS June firmware. Aargh... I will withdraw the error report.
post #105 of 1076 Old 12-06-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

re my post about Alien vs Predator Requiem (#90) and the audio dropouts.

I forgot to mention that I am using the June firmware and 702 driver.

I bet that trying the various audio tracks sent from the BH 200 via it's optical output will still have audio dropouts on problem disc's as I have tried it with my non HDMI receiver.

This indicates to me that my BH 200 has a problem reading the audio track(s) of my Alien VPR Blu ray disc. This disc plays perfectly on my Panasonic 55.

LG needs to provide proper firmware support etc........if not, I will never buy an LG prduct again. My unit is still under warranty for several more months and LG Canada better do something to rectify this.

That blows..

As I posted in another thread, My BH200 plays that movie fine on my Denon 988- all hdmi/bitstream-DTS-MA @ 1080P/24
I just watched it, and even paused and rewound the movie a few times without issue as well.
Netflix rental too.

Hopefully the FW update will cure some compatibility issues..
I'm using June FW with 702 driver.

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #106 of 1076 Old 12-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Had a problem with the special features on JFK. I'm running the April firmware and while I could bring up the Special Features menu, it wouldn't allow me to toggle between feautures.
post #107 of 1076 Old 12-06-2008, 03:24 PM

On the Futurama: Bender's Game Blu-Ray, if I try to select the video commentary, it plays the video fine, but the soundtrack is the film's main DTS-HD MA track. If I select the audio only commentary, it plays it fine. Firmware is June 2008, bitstream to a Onkyo 605.
post #108 of 1076 Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 PM

I was watching Hancock and the same thing happened, and I realized my problem...I had it set to bitstream the audio, and it needed to be in PCM mode.

Kind of lame...the player should know to switch to PCM automatically. Stopping and switching modes on the player (especially for a DTS-MA disc like Bender's Game that needs to be bitstreamed) is a bug that should be fixed.
post #109 of 1076 Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubertrout View Post

On the Futurama: Bender's Game Blu-Ray, if I try to select the video commentary, it plays the video fine, but the soundtrack is the film's main DTS-HD MA track. If I select the audio only commentary, it plays it fine. Firmware is June 2008, bitstream to a Onkyo 605.

This is a limitation of bitstreaming in general and the main reason why mixing in the player and conversion to PCM is prefferable. The LG is doing nothing wrong at all.

Edit: Just noticed you figured it out in the next post. Would be good if we got DTS HD decoding as it would make this sort of thing a non issue.
post #110 of 1076 Old 12-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

The seamless branching issue is interesting.

I had problems with HANCOCK and SPIDERMAN 2, both films that feature branching alternative versions where the disc would "hiccup" (running April software) so I figured every seamless branch title would exhibit the same.

This weekend I watched the Unrated version of AMERICAN GANGSTER and it had no such issues??

Curious?
post #111 of 1076 Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 AM

Honestly, Krobar, I'd rather use the DACs in my receiver than in the player. And not just because seeing "DTS-HD MSTR" on my receiver is really cool.
post #112 of 1076 Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Honestly, Krobar, I'd rather use the DACs in my receiver than in the player. And not just because seeing "DTS-HD MSTR" on my receiver is really cool.

I thought that even with internal decoding to PCM, it is still digital, so the DACs used would still be in the receiver?
post #113 of 1076 Old 12-10-2008, 06:02 PM

My new copy of Point Break spins around forever and doesn't play. Has anyone also had issues with this title? Thanks
post #114 of 1076 Old 12-11-2008, 09:28 AM

Landris, I guess you're right.

And I suppose there's not a big difference in the chipset if it's just a question of translating the codec to PCM. So it really is just seeing the display on the unit.

On the other hand, it's my impression that the odds of adding internal DTS-MA decoding are nearly nil. So, my point remains
post #115 of 1076 Old 12-12-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tend to agree but the simple answer is you cannot then also listen to PIP commentaries. They're simply not compatible with Bitstreaming.
post #116 of 1076 Old 12-12-2008, 09:28 PM

I watched Hancock without any issue, though I don't have my audio run through HDMI, just the optical out at the moment.

Latest Blu(s): Wall-E, The Dark Knight

Latest HD(s): Beerfest
post #117 of 1076 Old 12-13-2008, 04:16 AM

On both "Sex and the City" and "The Dark Knight," I am unable to access the disc menu after inserting the disc. The movie simply begins to run. I can, however, access the menu if I fast forward/skip to the very end of the movie and let the disc menu come up on its own. Also, on the extras Blu-ray discus for TDK, I can access the menu from the start but none of the content has sound. I am running my BH200 with the latest June fw and running through a Onkyo TX-SR705. Any thoughts?
post #118 of 1076 Old 12-13-2008, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Warner discs start without the menu by design. You can access it by way of the pop-up menu and/or menu buttons on the remote without fast forwarding to the end.
post #119 of 1076 Old 12-13-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNJ View Post

On both "Sex and the City" and "The Dark Knight," I am unable to access the disc menu after inserting the disc. The movie simply begins to run. I can, however, access the menu if I fast forward/skip to the very end of the movie and let the disc menu come up on its own. Also, on the extras Blu-ray discus for TDK, I can access the menu from the start but none of the content has sound. I am running my BH200 with the latest June fw and running through a Onkyo TX-SR705. Any thoughts?

Clean your Sex and the City disc. It works fine with the April firmware.
post #120 of 1076 Old 12-13-2008, 07:31 AM

Tried hitting menu during movie play... no go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Warner discs start without the menu by design. You can access it by way of the pop-up menu and/or menu buttons on the remote without fast forwarding to the end.

Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page