LG BH200 - Known Disc Issues - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1076 Old 12-13-2008, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My US RV Blu-ray does not play. Barcode 043396155923.

The player is playing the blue please wait animation that looks like a gone crazy clock forever and the Display is stuck at chapter 2, time 00005.

I could select items in the menu and was able to see all the FBI warnings. I have the latest firmware.

Tried it again and I got a Disc Error message.

3rd try, ok menu and FBI warnings do play but the feature presentation does not. Player gets stuck, eject and stop does not work. Power off works.

Now when I insert the disc, I always get the Disc Error message and the disc ejects, the Menu was played back only twice. What is wrong with Blu-ray? The RV Blu-ray disc looks pristine, not a scratch nothing but it does not play in my player.

Oh well maybe I got a bad disc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1076 Old 12-13-2008, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd also like to confirm that the French HD-DVD of a Bridge to Terabithia does not allow selection or playback ater the menu. Also have no options of turning off subtitles on German HD-DVD of Serpico.
Touching the Void, UK HD-DVD, is also loosing video completely after opening warnings/logos, but will do more testing to confirm.
All current firmware.
post #123 of 1076 Old 12-14-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmytheSaint View Post

Also have no options of turning off subtitles on German HD-DVD of Serpico.

They're forced on the Serpico HD-DVD. Blame Studio Canal France who made it. It's not a BH200 problem but a disc restriction. When you listen in English they're forced, when you listen in German they're not. Thankfully the majority of Studio Canal HD-DVDs don't have forced subs, Three Days of the Condor is another one that does.

All you can do is moved them to the bottom of the frame. It's why I've stuck with my DVD. I cannot stand forced subs. How is the AV btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmytheSaint View Post

Touching the Void, UK HD-DVD, is also loosing video completely after opening warnings/logos, but will do more testing to confirm.

I don't have this title but do have Motorcycle Diaries also by Film4 HD-DVD and released at the same time. This works fine on my BH200. I did find if I fast forward to the maximum setting it causes the player to stop the disc and I have to turn it off/on again to get the disc out/working again.

It's fine if I don't fast forward at the fastest setting though.
post #124 of 1076 Old 12-14-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNJ View Post

On both "Sex and the City" and "The Dark Knight," I am unable to access the disc menu after inserting the disc. The movie simply begins to run. I can, however, access the menu if I fast forward/skip to the very end of the movie and let the disc menu come up on its own. Also, on the extras Blu-ray discus for TDK, I can access the menu from the start but none of the content has sound. I am running my BH200 with the latest June fw and running through a Onkyo TX-SR705. Any thoughts?

I don't believe this is a BH200 issue, and does not happen with these disks only. My CyberLink PowerDVD on the PC does exactly the same thing - and is a totally different design (mind you, is an older version and I will not upgrade because I'll loose the HD DVD support).
post #125 of 1076 Old 12-15-2008, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Gonna go through several of the "issues" today with my LG 200 to see if these exist.
post #126 of 1076 Old 12-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNJ View Post

On both "Sex and the City" and "The Dark Knight," I am unable to access the disc menu after inserting the disc. The movie simply begins to run. I can, however, access the menu if I fast forward/skip to the very end of the movie and let the disc menu come up on its own. Also, on the extras Blu-ray discus for TDK, I can access the menu from the start but none of the content has sound. I am running my BH200 with the latest June fw and running through a Onkyo TX-SR705. Any thoughts?

TDK was pretty much flawless on our BH200 (one repeatable audio drop out). I can't recall if it was the Menu button, or "Pop-up menu" that worked. Point is, try each one.

I haven't tried all the Special Features, but the audio worked for the parts I checked. The extras on the movie BD might well be equivalent to Bonus-View material (since they're also available when playing the movie). In that case, it's possible the audio is a secondary track (i.e. the secondary decoder picks it up), in which case, primary pass-thru would yield no sound at all.

Try something other than primary pass-thru for the special features. Might work, might not...but it's worth a shot.
post #127 of 1076 Old 12-16-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Watched TDK last night with no real issues. The movie did start right up for me- you could access the menu by hitting the title/popup button. My only complaint is that the disk defaults to DD instead of TrueHD. The Imax scenes were some of the best images I have ever seen on blu-ray.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #128 of 1076 Old 12-17-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a27ugusto View Post

My new copy of Point Break spins around forever and doesn't play. Has anyone also had issues with this title? Thanks

I can confirm that Point Break (BD) will not play on a BH200 with latest FW. The new disk played fine on my Panasonic bdp30. Other the occasional drop out, my BH200 has had no issues playing any new releases lately.
post #129 of 1076 Old 12-17-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a27ugusto View Post

I can confirm that Point Break (BD) will not play on a BH200 with latest FW. The new disk played fine on my Panasonic bdp30. Other the occasional drop out, my BH200 has had no issues playing any new releases lately.

Doesn't play on mine either. It recognizes it as a blu-ray disk but that's as far as it gets. Did it used to play on earlier firmware?
post #130 of 1076 Old 12-18-2008, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

Watched TDK last night with no real issues. The movie did start right up for me- you could access the menu by hitting the title/popup button. My only complaint is that the disk defaults to DD instead of TrueHD.

Most Warner discs do. TrueHD isn't 100% compatible with all hardware.
post #131 of 1076 Old 12-18-2008, 07:24 PM

Hi Everyone:
Long time lurker and BH200 owner with the June firmware and 702 driver. My copy of Point Break didn't want to play either but I found a way to get it to play-it's playing as I type this. Here's what I did:

Put the disc in and let it load wait until your screen goes black and then hit stop and wait for the disc to stop spinning. Then hit the play button. The disc will then load properly. There are a bunch of previews before the menu options appear. I did it twice just to make sure and it worked both times. Hope this is of help.
post #132 of 1076 Old 12-19-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenlantz View Post

I watched THE X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE last night on Blu-ray on my BH200...
...but there was definitely some difficulty with menu navigation-----when I accessed the Special Features, the various options were illegible. I could tell that there were a few features/options to choose from, but the choices seemed to be obscured by the menu's dark background.

Not the player / TV problem.
Bad movie (bad as in the movie, as well as the menu authoring)...
I had same issue, both on BH200 and on PC. The combination of colors / contrast / gamma is very bad, and can not be seen unless you go into some dynamic / "store" mode with your video. When I changed the PC monitor to "Entertainment" mode (it's a Samsung) I started to see the options. Note though that I personally can never watch anything in such video modes.

Hey, it's the Xfiles - "I want to believe" there is a menu...

Audio was fine here, but I noticed the receiver needed like a sec or so to synchronize after a pause (it does it with all DTS HD MA). Try it again and when you don't have sound, restart only the receiver. If it recovers the sound, it's likely your receiver.
post #133 of 1076 Old 12-19-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuyer View Post

Not the player / TV problem.
Bad movie (bad as in the movie, as well as the menu authoring)...
I had same issue, both on BH200 and on PC. The combination of colors / contrast / gamma is very bad, and can not be seen unless you go into some dynamic / "store" mode with your video. When I changed the PC monitor to "Entertainment" mode (it's a Samsung) I started to see the options. Note though that I personally can never watch anything in such video modes.

Hey, it's the Xfiles - "I want to believe" there is a menu...

Audio was fine here, but I noticed the receiver needed like a sec or so to synchronize after a pause (it does it with all DTS HD MA). Try it again and when you don't have sound, restart only the receiver. If it recovers the sound, it's likely your receiver.

Excellent. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I don't have a receiver in the mix----I'm running the BH200 direct to my Panny plasma----so it's still a mystery what was causing the intermittent lost audio. I guess it's like the X-FILES' mythology------something that will likely never be properly wrapped up.
post #134 of 1076 Old 12-20-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
This may only affect people with my same setup, or maybe more. I bought Sweeny Todd for a good price and we watched it last night (I had not seen it- it was great BTW), but I got no sound from any channels except the front mains when playing the TrueHD English track. The display on my receiver (Marantz SR8001) showed no channels lit (normal for TrueHD). I had to go to setup and change to DTS reencode in order to get sound. I have watched many TrueHD discs on this player and this is the first time this has happened (it is usually set to multi-channel PCM as my reciever doesn't take THD or DTSMA). I also tried one of my other BH200s and it dd the same thing, so it is an issue with my setup and the disc not this one player.

EDIT: Workaround is to change audio from the player's "display" button and change it back. As I said, it is likely my setup- and it appears to be.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #135 of 1076 Old 12-21-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuyer View Post

I don't know if this is of any interest, Madagascar loads and plays fine when video was forced to 720p (June fw). 1080p (60 or 24) / i no.

I wasn't able to get this work. Have my second BH200 set 720p and tried Madagascar again and it didn't work. I'm going to call back into LG support to try to make another case for this one. Hope it makes it in the next firmware for sure.

Latest Blu(s): Wall-E, The Dark Knight

Latest HD(s): Beerfest
post #136 of 1076 Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 PM

I also still can't get Madagascar to play on my BH200. It is the first non-playing disc I've come across, Blu-Ray or HD DVD with the latest firmware update. Is this still in the "to be fixed" list?
post #137 of 1076 Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmark View Post

I also still can't get Madagascar to play on my BH200. It is the first non-playing disc I've come across, Blu-Ray or HD DVD with the latest firmware update. Is this still in the "to be fixed" list?

Samsungmaster indicated it was. I haven't had a chance to call back during business hours, but I'm going to call in to customer support and try to raise the issue again. Hopefully it will help. I'd suggest others call as well so they know there is a group of people out here who can't play it.

Paul

Latest Blu(s): Wall-E, The Dark Knight

Latest HD(s): Beerfest
post #138 of 1076 Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 AM

Ok, I think Blu-ray is nothing but trouble. I just popped my Cars disc into the player, boring advertising, took me 5 minutes to start the movie.

The disc is the region free ABC European Edition of the Disney movie Cars with the bar code 8717418121754.

The Dolby TrueHD track is not working as it should. The sound breaks up every time that camera angle logo kicks in. I don't even know how to disable that stupid feature. And during playback, I get sound break up issues quite often, especially annoying during the first 3 minutes where the car race is on and the great rock track is played. The sound is gone for a split second and continues after the short pause. While this happens, the picture is just fine. No discretion here. The sound is directly fed overHDMI into my Denon AVR-4308 (also with latest firmware).

The English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX track does not suffer from this. But boy is that track lame compared to the Dolby TrueHD track.

I had the player at Primary Pass-Tru over HDMI at 192 kHz sampling frequency, as I always do. This is my first disc ever that had any such sound issues. I am going to return the disc tomorrow because it's simply not possible to enjoy this great movie with these sound break ups. Latest firmware is installed.

post #139 of 1076 Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Don't return the disc, get a different player!! I also have issues with audio drop outs with disc's that use either alternative angle and seamless branching. I'm just waiting to see what Oppo has to offer before buying another player.
post #140 of 1076 Old 12-23-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait-it looks like a firmware update will be released soon. Try lowering your sampling frequency to 96 or 48. It is my understanding that TrueHD is rarely over 48 anyway. You are creating more bandwith using 192 and possibly increasing your chances of dropouts. I would also not use "auto" for your resolution. Set the resolution to your native display.

Not to get off topic, but this is what I miss about HD-DVD. Blu-ray still has not reached the same functionality of HD-DVD yet.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #141 of 1076 Old 12-23-2008, 01:23 PM

I already tried all sampling frequencies, neither one fixed the issues. Dolby Digital is ok, but Dolby TrueHD is not.

Auto is not set and I had 192 kHz on with everything else that played back fine. Even with DTS HD Master Audio. An other player, well I cannot just buy any other player because I need the Region A, B and C playback feature. Thanks Blu-ray inventors for that great feature.

Sad but true: Blu-ray is still not ready for market, even after 3 years of trying, the issues are too obvious. None of this has ever happened with DVD. I guess it's best to return the disc and get my money back.
post #142 of 1076 Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardustOne View Post

I already tried all sampling frequencies, neither one fixed the issues. Dolby Digital is ok, but Dolby TrueHD is not.

Auto is not set and I had 192 kHz on with everything else that played back fine. Even with DTS HD Master Audio. An other player, well I cannot just buy any other player because I need the Region A, B and C playback feature. Thanks Blu-ray inventors for that great feature.

Sad but true: Blu-ray is still not ready for market, even after 3 years of trying, the issues are too obvious. None of this has ever happened with DVD. I guess it's best to return the disc and get my money back.

Is not a Blu-ray or a disc problem, is a LG BH200 player issue. The disc works fine on other players.
post #143 of 1076 Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 PM

Oh well then I am out of luck, LG never fixed any of my HD DVD playback issues, they cancelled the BD Live and they probably don't fix Blu-ray issues either. Half a year without any updates, this is not very promising at all.

I will return the disc and try to get my money back. Blu-ray discs are way too expensive in Europe to have them on the shelf and waiting for updates to fix issues, Cars costs over 40 Dollars here.
post #144 of 1076 Old 12-24-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:

My US RV Blu-ray does not play. Barcode 043396155923.

The player is playing the blue please wait animation that looks like a gone crazy clock forever and the Display is stuck at chapter 2, time 00005.

I could select items in the menu and was able to see all the FBI warnings. I have the latest firmware.

Tried it again and I got a Disc Error message.

3rd try, ok menu and FBI warnings do play but the feature presentation does not. Player gets stuck, eject and stop does not work. Power off works.

Now when I insert the disc, I always get the Disc Error message and the disc ejects, the Menu was played back only twice. What is wrong with Blu-ray? The RV Blu-ray disc looks pristine, not a scratch nothing but it does not play in my player.

Oh well maybe I got a bad disc?

My guess is that LG have to provide a fix for RV to play. I tested the disc on a Sony BDP-S300 which would only play the disc with the latest update from December 10th (Version 4.40).

Mike
post #145 of 1076 Old 12-26-2008, 03:22 AM

I have sent a mail to LG and told them that the US RV and the European region free Cars Blu-ray are incompatible with the LG BH200.

I don't get Blu-ray, the format is full of issues. This is no walk in the park transition.

And I refuse to buying another player from another vendor just in case the 899 dollar LG BH200 refuses to play a blu-ray movie and to find out a few weeks later that the backup player from vendor B would have issues of playing the next Blu-ray disc that I buy.
post #146 of 1076 Old 12-26-2008, 05:57 AM

I had a little weirdism with this machine last night. Sat the family down to watch the DVD of "Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer" (which appears to be a fairly recent disk--has the Sony brand name on it) and could not get one of my BH200s to go past the 27 second mark without stalling. It wasn't frozen, because the buttons all worked, it just wouldn't proceed ahead in the movie. (Ended up watching it on my xbox.)

Later, I brought the same disk down to my other BH200 and gave it a try. Played just fine! Both machines have the latest firmware. The later 200 is my open box special, while the first I bought new, still sealed in the box.

After Rudolf played on the second 200, I went back to the first machine and tried another DVD on it. That DVD played fine. Then I put the Rudolf disk in again and...it played fine!

What the heck?
post #147 of 1076 Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I could not get traitor to play on my BH-200, but it played without a problem on my Up-5000. I'll try again today to see if my player is acting weird like yours.

tony4k
post #148 of 1076 Old 12-26-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The Blu-Ray issues with this player are the fault LG and the studios. The PS3 has very few issues with new discs due to timely updates and studio testing. I do not know why studios don't test every standalone. There are less than 50 models. It's not like dealing with SD DVD. I can only guess that it is pure laziness on their parts, since Blu-Ray is relatively small compared to SD DVD.

Traitor doesn't work? Is this with the June firmware?
post #149 of 1076 Old 12-26-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
"Traitor doesn't work? Is this with the June firmware?"

Yes..I'm running the June update

tony4k
post #150 of 1076 Old 12-26-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have sent a mail to LG and told them that the US RV and the European region free Cars Blu-ray are incompatible with the LG BH200.

My US release Cars plays perfectly on both my BH200's!

Quote:

I don't get Blu-ray, the format is full of issues. This is no walk in the park transition.

Agreed, BluRay is a 2nd rate format that won the war with marketing strength alone - It still isn't 1/2 the product that HD-DVD was on day one of it's release!

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page