Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 1076 Old 01-12-2009, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Played Hancock last night...noticed a few audio hiccups (internal TrueHD decoding).

Got this title late in December. Lost Dolby True audio about 3 /4 ths through accompanied by some screeching sounds. Exchanged for a new one last week. Complete loss of audio about half way through. Unplugged the BH200 for 30 minutes and the movie played through without a glitch. This is the second time that unplugging it and rebooting it has solved a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1076 Old 01-13-2009, 03:35 PM

Any work around for clerks II HD DVD inability to play.
post #243 of 1076 Old 01-14-2009, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For those with Zohan, what chapter & times are the branching releated dropouts occurring?

I have it now and will test it on both my systems.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #244 of 1076 Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb s. View Post

Any work around for clerks II HD DVD inability to play.

negatory

It is said that a bad batch causes the issue. I hear it is very hit and miss when trying multiple copies.
post #245 of 1076 Old 01-14-2009, 02:32 PM

December 2008 Firmware - German Death Proof audio menu HD DVD issue:

It has just been reported by a member in a German forum that it is impossible to quit the sound menu on the German HD DVD of Death Proof.

I can confirm this. Once the sound menu has been opened, one can only switch between the four sound tracks and with the right or left arrow one can enable or disable the German subtitles. You have to stop playback and start the disc again to get access to the rest.

To change the audio language on the Death Proof HD DVD use the Audio button during playback . Yes the DTS HD 5.1 English soundtrack is included with this HD DVD.

It is a fantastic movie by the way, especially in HD DVD.
post #246 of 1076 Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So that is a SPANISH HD DVD, right?

Right, Underworld: Evolution was purchased by many as a Spanish HD DVD, the only other U:E HD DVD I know of with the English soundtrack is the Polish print I have.
post #247 of 1076 Old 01-15-2009, 01:17 PM

Not a Spanish one, Death Proof was released in Germany on HD DVD last December. It has English and German audio tracks .

I also have the Underworld Evolution HD DVD in Spanish and I always struggle with the removal of the forced Spanish subtitles.
post #248 of 1076 Old 01-15-2009, 03:54 PM

I did the update and Madagascar still doesn't work for me, at any resolution, over HDMI.
post #249 of 1076 Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 PM

This update is for FYEO only, not Madagascar...
post #250 of 1076 Old 01-15-2009, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
No picture after the disc loads. Just blocks and no audio. I wish LG would fix the issue with Sony titles.

-----------
Robert
post #251 of 1076 Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM

Now, I don't know how widespread this issue might be.. or maybe someone can help me figure it out. I'm having a problem with my Mad Men - Season 1 (Disc 1 ONLY) on my BH200.

I'm currently running the newest driver (0702) and the April firmware. When I insert the disc, it is "reading" for about 30-40 seconds, then flashes "Disc Error" and ejects the disc. The wierd thing about this is that this disc used to be fine! I've played it on the current system/setup on a couple of occasions with no issues and the disc was always put back in the case immediately afterwards (i.e. no scratches or damage on the disc).

I did a little research and found another forum member that had a similar issue with his 'Disc 1' on the BH100, so I thought it might be something funky with my LG settings or something on my BH200 (I bought 'Mad Men' on release day back in the summer and haven't watched it for many months..). I could of changed some wierd setting in the meantime, so this is what I've done thusfar:

-cleared BD & HD Storage
-reset to 'factory set'
-did the BD flash thingy (not sure what this does..)
-attempted loading disc on JUNE and DECEMBER firmware (went back to April till a REAL update that doesn't strip features comes along..)
-reinstalled '0702' driver
-switched up my HDMI/SDPIF settings (usually run on 'DTS Re-Encode' because that's all my reciever can do)

Nothing of this has seemed to work.. so I guess I have to point to a disc error but it's very hard to conclude this since, 1.) the disc previously loaded fine and 2.) At least one other member had an issue with this particular disc. The set boasts a DTS-MA track, so I don't know if this causing the player to be unsure what kind of disc it is (?). Discs 2 and 3 in the set are fine and I tested out a few other discs to make sure the problem wasn't widespread and everything else seems to load fine.

My setup is a 42" Panasonic Plasma TH-42PZ77U using HDMI for video and optical out to my reciever (Sony brand - does Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 at 96Khz but nothing beyond that..). I have my audio settings now set to 'Primary Pass-Thru' since this seems to be what I should of been on for my setup). Is there anything else I might be missing or try before I conclude that my disc self-destructed while in its case on my shelf? Thanks.
post #252 of 1076 Old 01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I had that happen to a disc so even tho it looked fine I got out my optical lense microfibre cleaning cloth and gave it a clean, popped it back in and voila it played fine.

post #253 of 1076 Old 01-15-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Last Call:

For those of you complaining about seamless branching on Zohan could you please provide the chapters and times that the glitches occur?

I wish to test this disc with my BH200's and Sony HDMI v1.3 TV (and dont have time to watch the movie from start to finish atm) which has played every disc (bar known trouble makers) ever thrown at it perfectly to see if it really is seamless branching or HDMI/HDCP releated?

post #254 of 1076 Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

I had that happen to a disc so even tho it looked fine I got out my optical lense microfibre cleaning cloth and gave it a clean, popped it back in and voila it played fine.

Thanks for the tip - I just tried cleaning it with my microfibre cleaning cloth and no-go . Guess I'll have to file this one as a mystery.
post #255 of 1076 Old 01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I can confirm issues with Hancock.
TrueHD-Passthrough-Denon 988(2808)

Never had any issues with the BH200 until tonight.

Will be running fine, then all of the sudden the sound just stops working.....hit pause, then play and it comes back.
Theatrical was worse than the unrated, but I only played a bit of the Theatrical.

Didn't happen that often, but the fact that it happened AT ALL is quite pathetic and completely unacceptable really.

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #256 of 1076 Old 01-16-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok folks, I managed to find some spare time to watch the first 50 minutes of Zohan on extended cut mode using my BH200 + Sony HDMI v1.3 HDTV and there was not a single dropout of any kind in the first 50 minutes so imo my theory about all dropouts being caused by HDMI/HDCP compatibility still stands.

When I put Zohan on in my main system with a DVI-D w/HDCP HDTV it was dropout central!

post #257 of 1076 Old 01-16-2009, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
You're not narrowing down all the variables, though. Yes, HDMI/HDCP incompatibility might be one cause of the dropouts. But independent of the BH200 (when including reports made about the BD-UP5000), the aforementioned Sony titles cause audio dropouts when bitstreamed to 1.3 receivers.
post #258 of 1076 Old 01-16-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

You're not narrowing down all the variables, though. Yes, HDMI/HDCP incompatibility might be one cause of the dropouts. But independent of the BH200 (when including reports made about the BD-UP5000), the aforementioned Sony titles cause audio dropouts when bitstreamed to 1.3 receivers.

ok, the latter I cant test completely but both players are Jan 2008 models & perform identically in both systems.

post #259 of 1076 Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Well, here's a simple test for you theory that all dropouts are due to these HDMI incompatibilities. Watch through one of these problem Sony titles multiple times via your 1.2 display/receiver and document where the audio dropouts strike. If they're not in the same location each time, all you've proven is there are handshake problems due to the aforementioned incompatibilities. These Sony titles bitstreamed by way of HDMI 1.3 receivers reliably dropout at the same location on every viewing, thus it is a sign of the player unreliably handling the seamless branch points in that mode.
post #260 of 1076 Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Well, here's a simple test for you theory that all dropouts are due to these HDMI incompatibilities. Watch through one of these problem Sony titles multiple times via your 1.2 display/receiver and document where the audio dropouts strike. If they're not in the same location each time, all you've proven is there are handshake problems due to the aforementioned incompatibilities. These Sony titles bitstreamed by way of HDMI 1.3 receivers reliably dropout at the same location on every viewing, thus it is a sign of the player unreliably handling the seamless branch points in that mode.

Even on the non Sony Discs that dont have seamless branching and using bitstreaming I get repeatable dropouts on my main system - your theory is not counting the machinations going on behind the scenes with BD in particual.

We have no idea what BDj DRM is doing - for all we know each of these DRM virtual java machines could have set points along the movie built in to check for HDCP compliance with a mandated response time and hence the identical dropouts.

anything is possible, we just dont know.

EDIT: btw, I think AVR's are less of an issue than older HDTV's that dont have complete EDID data (ie no extended CEA EDID data).

post #261 of 1076 Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 PM

Still, that whole behind-the-scenes BDJ DRM theory is more murky than what we've learned by virtue of the aforementioned Sony titles and their performance on the BD-UP5000 in addition to the BH200. I haven't found a Sony title that has caused dropouts other than those that include 2 versions of the film on the same disc (Zohan, Hancock and Pineapple).
post #262 of 1076 Old 01-17-2009, 07:09 AM

Yes, I think the Occam's Razor principle applies here. "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best..."

The idea of compliance being checked ad-hoc throughout the movie seems beyond the scope of what a disk author/programmer would normally do, or even have the time to do. (Unless they did it by accident. )

These disks are all graphics and whizbang, they are usually on a very short schedule and have a tight deadline. I would venture to guess that most of the work is done by people who've never 'flipped a bit' in their lives--graphic designers and whatnot--who are using a software tool to pull it all together, with maybe only occasional intervention from a java guru when they want to create a cool game or something.

Just my two cents.
post #263 of 1076 Old 01-17-2009, 10:33 PM

I watched Shaun of the Dead HD-DVD tonight with an incredible amount of freezing/skipping in the beginning 20 or so minutes. The disc was bought used from blockbuster for $6, but it doesn't look all that bad or scratched up. I'll buy another copy of it if it's just a bad disc, but I would be very disappointed if the player doesn't handle the movie.
post #264 of 1076 Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 PM

I watched Shaun of the Dead HD-DVD tonight with an incredible amount of freezing/skipping in the beginning 20 or so minutes. The disc was bought used from blockbuster for $6, but it doesn't look all that bad or scratched up. I'll buy another copy of it if it's just a bad disc, but I would be very disappointed if the player doesn't handle the movie.
post #265 of 1076 Old 01-17-2009, 10:53 PM

^ I know I've watch that before on the BH200 and it was fine.

Either the new patch did something or it is your disc.
post #266 of 1076 Old 01-17-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfsane View Post

^ I know I've watch that before on the BH200 and it was fine.

Either the new patch did something or it is your disc.

I think I'll reinstall the old firmware just to check it out, but it's most likely the disc if the rest of the movie played just fine.
post #267 of 1076 Old 01-18-2009, 01:45 AM

I confirm that the latest firmware update (2009-01-08) fixed also this problem disk :
  • HD DVD: Enemy at the Gates (aka Stalingrad in France), French edition
post #268 of 1076 Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeji View Post

I confirm that the latest firmware update (2009-01-08) fixed also this problem disk :
  • HD DVD: Enemy at the Gates (aka Stalingrad in France), French edition

Hey, thanks for this. I did not realise the Jan firmware is already up. I will go and update it now from the Dec firmware to check if my Stalingrad will play or not.

Sorry, where can I download the Jan firmware? Is it on the official LG website?
post #269 of 1076 Old 01-18-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no Jan 2009 FW AFAIK:

The 1st listing: LG_BH_LV221BH.zip is Dec 2008 FW.

post #270 of 1076 Old 01-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Just in case there is any remaining doubt, Madagascar does not play on either of my bh200s (including one forced to 720p) with the Dec firmware.

Latest Blu(s): Wall-E, The Dark Knight

Latest HD(s): Beerfest
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page