BH200 not reading any HD dvds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 02-22-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my BH200 is not playing any HD dvds at all this just started last night. ive tried dvds and blu rays and they play fine.

at 1st when i put in the disc its checking it out what disc format it is and it reads it as an HD dvd cause the HD dvd light on the player is lit .but it still keeps on saying reading on the player wont start the movie. it just stays at the super blu screen.

ive contacted LG i reset the player and that didnt work. he said to try a dvd laser lens cleaner for the player. but that doesnt make any sense it plays blu rays and dvds fine.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Assuming your discs are all fine, the problem could be the ROM drive; I believe it has more than one laser.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #3 of 25 Old 02-22-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Assuming your discs are all fine, the problem could be the ROM drive; I believe it has more than one laser.

so what can i do to fix this

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #4 of 25 Old 02-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Call LG and ask for an RMA.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

so what can i do to fix this

If the unit is still under warranty, you're good to go. If not, probably best to let LG handle it anyway. But I would like to know the exact cause of this situation, assuming they disclose what they do to repair & return units.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #6 of 25 Old 02-22-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

If the unit is still under warranty, you're good to go. If not, probably best to let LG handle it anyway. But I would like to know the exact cause of this situation, assuming they disclose what they do to repair & return units.

i dont want to take a risk on doing a return for another one because what if they send me back a BD300 instead since the BH200 is discontinued

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #7 of 25 Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ive also been watching 1-3 movies a day on my player most of the time its an HD dvd. am i using it to much ? cause i use it once a day atleast.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #8 of 25 Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
i dont want to take a risk on doing a return for another one because what if they send me back a BD300 instead since the BH200 is discontinued

So far, we haven't heard of anyone who sent a BH200 in for a repair and got another machine back. Your problems sounds like a drive issue, and for them that is probably a fairly easy fix--just slap in another one.

It was Samsung, I believe, that offered someone a different machine in return. But that only happened to one person that I know of.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-23-2009, 06:46 AM

I had this problem as well. I re-flashed the firmware with the same version and HD-DVDs would play again without issue. Somewhere I turned up a thread suggesting this was a problem with corrupted data in the internal HD-DVD memory. If it happens to me again I plan to try clearing that first with a firmware re-flash second.

Try this before you mess with sending it off.
post #10 of 25 Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 AM

I recently have this problem with my player it doesn't any kind of midia(CD, BR,HD DVD or DVD). At the LG assistance they told me that the the problem was in the optic unit and that there is no replaceble part for it. Since the model was discontinued, they offered me th BD300. Does anybody knows someThing about this player?
post #11 of 25 Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbit View Post

I had this problem as well. I re-flashed the firmware with the same version and HD-DVDs would play again without issue. Somewhere I turned up a thread suggesting this was a problem with corrupted data in the internal HD-DVD memory. If it happens to me again I plan to try clearing that first with a firmware re-flash second.

Try this before you mess with sending it off.

i tried doing the same update but it wont finish the update. its like it froze or something. says instal on the player and updating on the screen but i dont see the blue bars moving around its like its stuck or something i even tried other updates and wont complete the update. is there a way to erase all the updates and stuff ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #12 of 25 Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM

I had a similar problem a while ago (see here). My player wouldn't play any HD-DVD disk, and I could neither flash it nor could I clean HD-DVD storage. At the end, I ended up sending in the unit for repair and got a new mainboard installed.

Mike
post #13 of 25 Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFossati View Post

I had a similar problem a while ago (see here). My player wouldn't play any HD-DVD disk, and I could neither flash it nor could I clean HD-DVD storage. At the end, I ended up sending in the unit for repair and got a new mainboard installed.

Mike

what was the cause of it ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #14 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

Sounds like the main board!

If I were you I'd do the clear all memory, one of the setup options. It will clear out all the stored data (a just in case move). Then I'd unplug the unit for a while, disconnect everything (there's a reason they tell you to do this) while disconnected press the power button a couple of times (this is just killing off any stored juice and given the machine a "true" reset)

There are two lasers used in this box, but I'm not sure if three. Blu-ray and red, but not sure if HD-DVD and DVD use the same laser (been years). Do std-DVDs work fine? That may tell something.

If this doesn't work RMA the thing. Sounds like something you don't want to be fixering yerself.
post #15 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post

Sounds like the main board!

If I were you I'd do the clear all memory, one of the setup options. It will clear out all the stored data (a just in case move). Then I'd unplug the unit for a while, disconnect everything (there's a reason they tell you to do this) while disconnected press the power button a couple of times (this is just killing off any stored juice and given the machine a "true" reset)

There are two lasers used in this box, but I'm not sure if three. Blu-ray and red, but not sure if HD-DVD and DVD use the same laser (been years). Do std-DVDs work fine? That may tell something.

If this doesn't work RMA the thing. Sounds like something you don't want to be fixering yerself.

i tried doing the flash clear on the BD and HD dvd and it wont complete all the way.

and it plays blu rays and dvds fine.

Ive only had the player for a year now and already problems I'm starting to get a little worried about next generation players because Ive had my panasonic DVR for 4 years no problems at all. had my sony dvd player for 7 years no problems at all with it. and if i send this one in for repairs or they send me another one and something happens again next year or sooner they are not gonna cover it cause the warranty will be expired.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #16 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:

It appeared to be a corrupted memory.

You say you cannot clear the memory - do you have the symptoms I reported?

Mike
post #17 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFossati View Post

It appeared to be a corrupted memory.

You say you cannot clear the memory - do you have the symptoms I reported?

Mike

I'm having the exact same problems u had. cant upgrade through USB or through ethernet. it freezes when it updates.

my player will only read it as an HD dvd but wont start playing the movie.
it stays at the super blu screen
can only play blu rays and dvds right now.

i cant clear the memory for BD or HD dvd. it freezes when i hit ok to do it.

also i noticed when ever i turn it off now it takes a little bit longer to shutdown.

but not once Ive ever saved anything off of blu rays or HD DVDs. unless every time you watch one it takes up memory which i was not aware of if that happens. but i don't save bookmarks or none of that ever.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #18 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
HD DVD discs result in cookies being saved to the flash memory. There may be an option in the player settings to disable cookies but with corrupted memory, it may not do any good to disable them. It's worth a try if it's not disabled by default.
post #19 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I haven't used my BH200 for HD DVD much and just now it took three tries to play some special features from the Casablanca HD DVD. "Carrotblanca" and "Who Holds Tomorrow" each crapped out the first two attempts to load, got a disc error message and automatic eject. I hope this isn't a sign of more problems to come. After loading the cartoon and playing it fine, it did load the next program first try and I followed that up and played some other special features from the disc that also worked fine.

The movie itself loaded and played fine.

Chris
post #20 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

HD DVD discs result in cookies being saved to the flash memory. There may be an option in the player settings to disable cookies but with corrupted memory, it may not do any good to disable them. It's worth a try if it's not disabled by default.

There is a cookie setting option under network settings, I have kept mine at not accepted. I don't know if that helps anything, I doubt it.

Chris
post #21 of 25 Old 02-24-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

i checked on the menu and not accepting cookies is selected. i dont think ive ever accepted it before.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #22 of 25 Old 08-02-2009, 05:30 PM

Turned on my BH200 last night to watch a HD-DVD and it recognised it and then sat frozen at 'reading'. Like the above posts, it hangs if I try to clear the HD-DVD memory and I can't run any updates on it (looks like no Profile 2.0 for me).
Unfortunately it's about 4 days out of warranty and I'm in Australia. Have sent an e-mail to LG about it and after seeing what they say, will then decide whether it's worth sending back for repair.
Luckily still plays Blu fine - well, everything that doesn't have problems with the firmware currently installed.
Also glad I didn't sell my Toshiba standalone HD-DVD player...
post #23 of 25 Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i finally fixed the HD dvd problem. and yes it was a corrupted memory. i set the region back to 1 and the codes back to their original # and it let me do a factory reset with the HD BD flash clear.

if you changed the region and messed with the codes to make it pal compatibale it wont let you do a factory reset

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #24 of 25 Old 10-19-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:

i finally fixed the HD dvd problem. and yes it was a corrupted memory. i set the region back to 1 and the codes back to their original # and it let me do a factory reset with the HD BD flash clear.

if you changed the region and messed with the codes to make it pal compatibale it wont let you do a factory reset

Got very excited by your post. Unfortunately it didn't fix it for me.

I put in the multi-region CD and set the DVD region back to 1.
I then went into the EPROM menu and set that back to the default for a US machine.

Finally I went into the setup menu and tried a factory reset and HD memory reset. Neither seemed to work. I left the machine for 10 minutes or so waiting for it to clear the message from the screen about clearing the HD memory, but it didn't go away. Did it take a while to clear the HD memory? The same thing happened when I tried a factory reset. It just stayed at the screen saying it was resetting the settings and seemed to hang there.

I tried clearing the BD memory and that only took a couple of seconds...

Looks as though mine is still broken with regards to HD-DVD playback
post #25 of 25 Old 11-06-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisk View Post

Got very excited by your post. Unfortunately it didn't fix it for me.

I put in the multi-region CD and set the DVD region back to 1.
I then went into the EPROM menu and set that back to the default for a US machine.

Finally I went into the setup menu and tried a factory reset and HD memory reset. Neither seemed to work. I left the machine for 10 minutes or so waiting for it to clear the message from the screen about clearing the HD memory, but it didn't go away. Did it take a while to clear the HD memory? The same thing happened when I tried a factory reset. It just stayed at the screen saying it was resetting the settings and seemed to hang there.

I tried clearing the BD memory and that only took a couple of seconds...

Looks as though mine is still broken with regards to HD-DVD playback

no i didnt have to wait 10 mins for the HD memory to clear it did it right off the back so i knew it worked and after that it plays HD dvds now. im sorry it didnt work for you but your having the same problem i have and yeah its a corrupted memory. try it like once a week or every once in awhile to erase the memory. maybe it just finally let me do it after so long. but its strange that it let me do it after i set the region back and the eeprom codes back to their original.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page