LG BH200 Freezes during update? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-03-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have an LG BH200 and I've tried updating to the latest firmware by USB, CD, and network connection. It will start smoothly, but when the "0 install" message comes on the LED screen of the player, it stops updating. I've tried leaving it for a few hours thinking it needs more time than usual, but it still doesn't work.

Also, it plays Blu-Ray & Standard DVD's, but WILL NOT play HD DVDs? Do I need a firmware upgrade or a RMA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-04-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hnjay View Post

Hi,

I have an LG BH200 and I've tried updating to the latest firmware by USB, CD, and network connection. It will start smoothly, but when the "0 install" message comes on the LED screen of the player, it stops updating. I've tried leaving it for a few hours thinking it needs more time than usual, but it still doesn't work.

Also, it plays Blu-Ray & Standard DVD's, but WILL NOT play HD DVDs? Do I need a firmware upgrade or a RMA?

If the unit has stopped playing HD format you need a RMA, firmware does not fix this.

Life is Good
post #3 of 9 Old 06-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hnjay View Post

Hi,

im having the exact same problem you are. ive had my BH200 for over a year now and since february my player stopped reading HD dvds. cant do updates as well it freezes when it starts to update and i have to turn the player off. it also freezes when i want to delete the HD dvd and blu ray flash memory.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1123129

and the warranty is out on mine.
punks from LG still havent helped me out with mine.

yeah lifes good alright. no wonder they only give you a 1 year warranty cause after a year it goes byby

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

yeah lifes good alright. no wonder they only give you a 1 year warranty cause after a year it goes byby

I thought it was a 90 day full (parts and labor) and just parts til a year. That way they can still make money on warranty service issues.

The warranty on these LG products does indeed suck. I was surprised when I actually read the warrranty for the first time a few months back.

If you want to troubleshoot the problem I may have some ideas. It may be full blown HD-laser defect, but only you would know based on what you've tried.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post

I thought it was a 90 day full (parts and labor) and just parts til a year. That way they can still make money on warranty service issues.

The warranty on these LG products does indeed suck. I was surprised when I actually read the warrranty for the first time a few months back.

If you want to troubleshoot the problem I may have some ideas. It may be full blown HD-laser defect, but only you would know based on what you've tried.

ive tried unplugging everything and holding the power button down for 30 secs. that didnt work. cant update through ethernet usb or cd it will freeze. if i try to erase the flash memory it freezes as well. it still reads the blu rays and standard dvds fine. someone told me afew months back i might have a corrupted memory but like i said i cant erase the flash memory.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #6 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, you've tried the best options. I really thought that one of the other devices (USB) may be helpful.

When you've done updates, have you ever tried to roll back to an older version? Maybe as old as you can go? It might be a good test. If the unit truely freezes (and I may remember you asking about this before) there would have to be something messing it up. Bad flash or RAM, corrupted Flash or RAM, or other things like that.

You said that initalizing the Blu and HD memory also freezes the system? I know one of those is almost instant, so that shouldn't have any lag.... blu maybe?

Did you reset to factory default settings? Maybe a setting value got corrupted and has the player confused... There could be a real hardware issue that only a fix would, well fix.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, you've tried the best options. I really thought that one of the other devices (USB) may be helpful.

When you've done updates, have you ever tried to roll back to an older version? Maybe as old as you can go? It might be a good test. If the unit truely freezes (and I may remember you asking about this before) there would have to be something messing it up. Bad flash or RAM, corrupted Flash or RAM, or other things like that.

You said that initalizing the Blu and HD memory also freezes the system? I know one of those is almost instant, so that shouldn't have any lag.... blu maybe?

Did you reset to factory default settings? Maybe a setting value got corrupted and has the player confused... There could be a real hardware issue that only a fix would, well fix.

any attempt to do an update or downgrade to an older version still freezes. wheres factory default settings at ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

any attempt to do an update or downgrade to an older version still freezes. wheres factory default settings at ?

I thought it was with the Blu and HD initialize area... Other->Initalize->Factory Set

I believe there's also a battery installed in the player for battery backed up ram (i don't think they use s-dram) and pulling that battery out while the unit is unplugged may do the same thing. I'd have to double check there is a battery, but I think I remember seeing one and thinking it was a bit odd.

EDIT: Nevermind, no battery backed up s-dram. I checked, I'm glad to see they aren't using something as ancient as that!
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought it was with the Blu and HD initialize area... Other->Initalize->Factory Set

I believe there's also a battery installed in the player for battery backed up ram (i don't think they use s-dram) and pulling that battery out while the unit is unplugged may do the same thing. I'd have to double check there is a battery, but I think I remember seeing one and thinking it was a bit odd.

EDIT: Nevermind, no battery backed up s-dram. I checked, I'm glad to see they aren't using something as ancient as that!

yup it freezes when i do factory set for both of them or if i just do just one.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page