BH200 Seamless Branching? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've seen a few posts mentioning audio drop-outs during seamless branching spots, and I also have this same issue. It is very annoying depending on the movie, most recently driving me nuts during Alien vs Predator 2. I have not updated my machine to the latest firmware yet. Was this issue addressed yet? If not, any chance it will be? It isn't like branching is a magic new technology...every DVD player I've had in the past have handled it with no problem, so I don't see why this player should have problems.

If there's no chance of LG fixing it, has anyone had any luck minimizing it or anything?

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seamless branching is often a problem for me - it's really the only time I have dropouts. However, I get the sense it's mainly a problem because I do bitstream out - I recall seeing that it's less of a problem with PCM.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 PM

Not sure that is correct. I do DTS re-encoding (over digital optical out). So far, the only time I have noticed audio dropouts is during the seamless branching (Max Payne SD DVD comes to mind immediately). I don't recall any HD DVD audio dropouts.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Both combos are afflicted with it. The BD-UP5000 is known to have audio dropouts in such situations as well. I have great doubts either Samsung or LG will provide fixes, so I am in the process of winding down my HD DVD collection and jumping on-board the Oppo full stop.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-24-2009, 04:37 AM

So the Oppo has been trouble-free so far? Just curious...
post #6 of 9 Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubertrout View Post

Seamless branching is often a problem for me - it's really the only time I have dropouts. However, I get the sense it's mainly a problem because I do bitstream out - I recall seeing that it's less of a problem with PCM.

Damn...I was really hoping the problem would go away once I got my new preamp and started bitsteaming. I currently am optical DTS re-encode only and get the drop out. I guess the positive is that's the only real drop-outs I get, but still it's damn annoying.

I still can't believe some of the issues these players get a "pass" on. Just silly to not be able to handle such a long existing feature as branching.

Can anyone confirm that LG is aware of this issue and just chooses to ignore it?
post #7 of 9 Old 08-24-2009, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360_4_EVER! View Post

So the Oppo has been trouble-free so far? Just curious...

it's not in primary use yet (more HD DVDs to watch) but these fellows have shown to be in it for the long haul when they release a new player model.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-26-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I thought this player had a buffer that was suppose to be able to handle read/seek issues like seamless branching. Sounds like you are experiencing a seamed branch...

The only DVD with that I remember was T2 Ultimate, the silver metal case one. Or am I wrong on that. I'd have to find one to test it, anyone got a list?
post #9 of 9 Old 08-26-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post

I thought this player had a buffer that was suppose to be able to handle read/seek issues like seamless branching. Sounds like you are experiencing a seamed branch...

The only DVD with that I remember was T2 Ultimate, the silver metal case one. Or am I wrong on that. I'd have to find one to test it, anyone got a list?

I don't think this player has a buffer at all. My Denon 2200 had one that worked so well I never saw even a layer change with it. It really sucked moving to this one that I see every layer change and now even the branching.

There are many disks with branching. Two BDs that come to mind are AVP2 and X-Files 2, but I know there are others I'm forgetting. I can't remember if I've played and/or noticed a problem on branching DVDs since getting this player, but I know movies like T2, ID4, Lion King, and many others have it.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page