BH200 giving disk error - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, last night we attempted to play the blu version of "Reign of Fire" on one of our BH200s and got a disk error. (Like it didn't know what kind of disk it was.) Then I tried the Polar Express blu and got the same result. I know I've seen info about this before on this forum. Is this a send it to LG problem, or a clear the memory problem, or a the laser needs cleaned problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-22-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360_4_EVER! View Post

Is this a send it to LG problem, or a clear the memory problem, or a the laser needs cleaned problem?

Yeah one of those!

I'd start by unplugging the thing for a few hours/days to see if a simple "reset" does it. Laser lens seems unlikely unless it's been exposed to a very dirty environment e.g. drywall sanding or something, but would be cheap to try before dealing with a return/repair.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-22-2010, 09:31 AM

Liked: 30
The two different solutions I've heard for this are:
(1) clear the memory in the configuration menu.
(2) Insert any *DVD* and start the movie. Stop, eject, insert BD, watch BD.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-22-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, Laser/Mango.

I think I've determined that these systems are just crazy. I tried inserting a DVD and it got to the menu, no problem. Then I put in a HD DVD and it found it and started playing, no problem. Then I tried "Reign of Fire". No go.

So then I cleared both BD and HD memories. Still no go.

Then I tried another BR--"Wall-E," this time. It recognized it and started playing. Then I tried "Ice Age 3," no problem there either.

But "Reign of Fire" still won't work and neither will "Polar Express." Weird thing is I could swear my wife has played "Express" in that machine before.

I was able to play "Reign" on my UP5K last night, though. Pays to have different machines with BR, I guess.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 02:33 PM

Hi,
I still have the same problem, the lens is not dirty: after 20 minutes open/close: the disk will play anyhow, and there is no drop out-the lens is definitely not the cause for this silly behavior of that crazy machine. I think it has something to do with the disk identification: the player at first is looking for the disk ID: DVD/BD/HDDVD. But how does the player do that? and what is the problem in my case. Any suggestions?
Definitely not the quality I suspected from LG! And there is no repair here in Germany.
Yours
Andreas
post #6 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.truesound View Post

Hi,
I still have the same problem, the lens is not dirty: after 20 minutes open/close: the disk will play anyhow, and there is no drop out-the lens is definitely not the cause for this silly behavior of that crazy machine. I think it has something to do with the disk identification: the player at first is looking for the disk ID: DVD/BD/HDDVD. But how does the player do that? and what is the problem in my case. Any suggestions?
Definitely not the quality I suspected from LG! And there is no repair here in Germany.
Yours
Andreas

I've had this problem occur on select disks every so often. Usually unplugging it and plugging it back in takes care of it. However, right now I'm having trouble loading the Star Trek - Captain's Summit BD. Never had a problem with the Paramount BDs before I did the firmware upgrade yesterday, so I'm a little worried right now. If anyone else has this BD and the newest firmware, give it a try and let me know how it turns out.

I agree this appears to be a disc recognition thing. Once the BH200 sees it's a BD things go fine after that, no drops or anything. Sometimes I've had to reload 7-8 times in the past (always have startup problem with the IMAX BDs for some reason. All of them in the set) to get things going.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-07-2010, 09:11 AM

Constant BD disk error. DVD and HD DVD works fine.

Figured out that turning off 24p Film Mode removed error on BDs. After BD load, I just stop the disk and go turn on 24p.

Works every time.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltie76 View Post

I've had this problem occur on select disks every so often. Usually unplugging it and plugging it back in takes care of it. However, right now I'm having trouble loading the Star Trek - Captain's Summit BD. Never had a problem with the Paramount BDs before I did the firmware upgrade yesterday, so I'm a little worried right now. If anyone else has this BD and the newest firmware, give it a try and let me know how it turns out.

I agree this appears to be a disc recognition thing. Once the BH200 sees it's a BD things go fine after that, no drops or anything. Sometimes I've had to reload 7-8 times in the past (always have startup problem with the IMAX BDs for some reason. All of them in the set) to get things going.

I am having no trouble with Star Trek-Captain's Summit BD loading with the latest fimware.
I am not connected to the internet.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Getting constant Disc Error with BD & HD DVD, I am not sure what's up with my player, regular DVD working fine though. After I updated to the latest firmware (via USB) it would not play a BD, I unplugged the unit and then it worked for that movie. Went to watch a movie the other night & now nothing. I have tried playing a DVD first, unplugging it, reset the memory etc..., I guess I will revert the firmware or something to see if that fixes it. This player gets very minimal use so this is very disappointing if it took a crap.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Well I think my BH200 is done. I reloaded the newest firmware and still a no go for BD and HD DVD. I reverted back to the older firmware and no go. I think I have tried everything but maybe someone knows how to do a hard reset or something. I just can't believe this, my first DVD player (Sony S3000 1997) which now sits outside in my backyard for the pool stereo still frickin works like a champ.

It just seems like it does not even try to read BD or HD DVD, but you can hear it start reading a DVD right away, it's strange. The last movie I watched on it worked fine the whole way through too. I bought this to be the perfect bedroom player, now I had to go back to a 2 player setup with my Panasonic BD35 and Toshiba D3.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 AM

cws_kahuna you may need to replace the optical drive in this player.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-31-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Try to hold the power button down for about 10 seconds.

Or unplug it and plug it in while holding the power button down. It worked on My Bh100
when I had a disc error that would not go away. But that could have been a fluke thing. Worth a try.

Athanasios
post #13 of 15 Old 05-04-2011, 02:11 PM

The same crap happened to my BH200. A few weeks ago, the Blu-ray movies stopped playing. Some do, others do not at all.

What a piece of junk, typical for LG, I suppose .
post #14 of 15 Old 05-11-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

It's HD DVDs that are giving me issues lately. Goodfellas started, then stopped playing after about an hour when I tried to play it a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I tried it again, it recognizes it as an HD DVD and then I get a disk error and the disk ejects. I'm going to try pulling the cord and resetting the memory to see f that works.

I used to love my BH-200, but I'm getting tired of not knowing if a disk will play when I put it in. DVD is always fine, but BDs and HD DVDs have become increasingly hit or miss. Clerks 2 (HD), Good Fellas(HD), Lost Seasons 1,2,4 &5 (BD) have all given me multiple issues on this player. There have also been others, but I was able to make them work without hitting up AVS.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #15 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Liked: 30
BH200 ownership was like always chasing a dream of having an ultimate combo player, when in reality it was buggy and slow.

It was a great player for its time, and I appreciate the use I got out of mine, but I have also moved on.

In my opinion get a new BD player for BDs and either get a nice Toshiba for HD-DVDs or get out of that format altogether.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page