BP-UP5000 and 7.1?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello,
I've been reading through the threads and find the audio "capabilities" of the BD-UP5000 confusing as to what it can pass in 7.1 channels (assuming that the disc played is 7.1 capable).

Currently I have the audio connected via coax to my receiver and have had no problems with the limitations of this way of handling audio. My receiver is about 5 years old - it's a Yamaha RX-V2500. It can't internally decode the newest audio codecs. But, I can connect the analog outputs of the Sammy to the analog inputs of my receiver. Would this be a better way of handling audio vs. connecting via coax?

With the latest firmware updates to the UP5000, what can the unit internally decode and pass via the analog outputs? Is it worth connecting up the player to my receiver this way? I'm not sure if there is any disc material that the unit can pass in 7.1. If there is a thread that I've missed that details all of this, please let me know.

Any info. would be helpful.

Thanks.

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
If I am not mistaken I think you would gain Dolby True HD via analog. I don't believe DTS MA was ever introduced to the BDUP5000 through analog (only via HDMI).

If you hook the player up via analog you will have to setup sound through the player instead of your receiver. If you have the cables lying around you should give it a shot, you can still keep the coax connected and switch for Dolby True HD titiles.

You will probably have to play with the settings as I am guessing the bass output will seem lower but if you can tweak things properly Dolby True HD sounds amazing.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws_kahuna View Post

I don't believe DTS MA was ever introduced to the BDUP5000 through analog (only via HDMI).

Thanks CWS_Kahuna . . .

Great info. You have raised an interesting point . . . if I buy a new receiver (likely a new model 7.1 HDMI capable Yamaha that can decode all the newest audio codecs, etc.) will I get DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and the other full-blown audio streams from the UP5000 via HDMI? I didn't think that the Samsung BD-UP5000 or the LG BH200 combo players could pass anything like DTS-HD Master - just the 5.1 "legacy" core audio. If the Samsung does, with the aid of a new receiver, allow for true high quality audio, then it might be time to invest in something which can handle the decoding.

Would a new Denon or Yamaha receiver make the BD-UP5000 fully capable of decoding the various high quality audio tracks out there? If not, what are the limitations?

Thanks!

Ian
post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I believe the Samsung will pass everything via bitstream audiophile (in the settings) over an HDMI connection... so if you get an audio receiver that can decode them, then you're set to go.

The Samsung player itself will decode everything except for DTS MA and DTS HD, I believe... and those will be passed over the analog outputs.

I forget the limitations of using the optical audio output, but I think the larger thread here has those details.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I believe the Samsung will pass everything via bitstream audiophile (in the settings) over an HDMI connection.

Thanks HDMe2 . . .

I didn't think that either of the combo players could play ANY advanced 5.1 or 7.1 audio codecs. But if my Samsung and / or my LG can handle codecs such as DTS-HD Master Audio by bitstreaming via HDMI to a new receiver, then that's awesome!

Does anyone know of issues with any current receivers when it comes to bitstreaming via HDMI?

Ian
post #6 of 9 Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Sony STR-DH800 audio receiver... and up until recently had no problems.

I have had a few movies (Up! comes to mind most notably) that had a few minor 1-2 second audio drops several times during the movie.

They aren't that distracting once you are into the movie... but it would be nice if they weren't there.

I'm hoping that whenever we see firmware to address some newer movie playback issues, that they will slip in something to address these minor audio glitches too.

post #7 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:

I have a Sony STR-DH800 audio receiver... and up until recently had no problems.

I have had a few movies (Up! comes to mind most notably) that had a few minor 1-2 second audio drops several times during the movie.

They aren't that distracting once you are into the movie... but it would be nice if they weren't there.

I'm hoping that whenever we see firmware to address some newer movie playback issues, that they will slip in something to address these minor audio glitches too.

I had the same thing last night, but with Toy Story 3. The 7.1 and 5.1 DTS-HD MA tracks both had multiple drop-outs; enough for me to turn off the movie out of frustration. The 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks worked fine without drop-outs, so those would be an option if I spoke French and/or Spanish. Anybody else experiencing this?
post #8 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles1028 View Post

I had the same thing last night, but with Toy Story 3. The 7.1 and 5.1 DTS-HD MA tracks both had multiple drop-outs; enough for me to turn off the movie out of frustration. The 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks worked fine without drop-outs, so those would be an option if I spoke French and/or Spanish. Anybody else experiencing this?

I haven't watched Toy Story 3 yet... though I tested it quickly to make sure it played.

I had another recent Disney movie that did the audio drops but I can't remember which one at the moment. For me, that particular glitch has been just recently and with Disney movies only.

I don't recall having the issue with other movies from other studios with similar audio tracks... so it is semi-consistent, but not necessarily just a DTS-HD MA issue like I originally suspected.

post #9 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I haven't watched Toy Story 3 yet... though I tested it quickly to make sure it played.

I had another recent Disney movie that did the audio drops but I can't remember which one at the moment. For me, that particular glitch has been just recently and with Disney movies only.

I don't recall having the issue with other movies from other studios with similar audio tracks... so it is semi-consistent, but not necessarily just a DTS-HD MA issue like I originally suspected.

I too thought it was possibly something to do with DTS-HD MA tracks but I had just watched A Christmas Carol which has a 5.1 DTS-HD MA track without issue. This is the first movie that I have had the issue of drop-outs with.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that my drop-out begin within the first couple of minutes of the movie. After Mr. Potato Head jumps on top of the train and says "Money, Money, Money" or something to that affect, just a few seconds after that. There are other places where they occur (mostly high action scenes), but that is where they begin. Anybody care to check that scene and see if they get drop outs?
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page