BH200 Resolution Settings Lock ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As a new BH200 user I feel I am being driven to despair by the Resolution Settings - or lack of on this machine - which doesn't behave as I expected.

Coming from a Toshiba XE1 for which I can just select 1080i from the Setup Menu - I had expected to be able to do the same with the BH200 - but it just seems to be impossible as the setting is not being stored .

The Toshiba XE1 allows me to set 4x3 at 1080i so I can view all my old Full Screen and my modern Letterboxed movies without making any further changes - I am happy with the resolution of the pictures I get from my CRT PJ on a 4x3 screen - even though I do realise I could get a better picture by setting up for 1080i on a 16x9 screen in order to use all the available lines - but I prefer the simple Convenience of the 4x3 and Letterboxed approach.

Enter the LG BH200 and my First problem - 4x3 is ONLY available for low resolution settings and choosing my 1080i output forces a 16x9 image -

So I reset my PJ for a 16x9 image and watch my first movie - which I have to say looked OK - flushed with success I turned off system and went to bed

Next evening I turned the system back on and found I had NO PICTURE as the LG200 was now outputting 1080p - after spending some time pressing the RC RESOLUTION button I restored 1080i and got my picture back.

So the Second Problem is that the LG200 totally ignores its 1080i setting and reverts to 1080p whenever it's turned ON - even though the 1080i selection is still displayed shown in the Resolution Setup List.

Is there some way to LOCK the output to the selected Resolution Setting ?

Any advice from those with greater experience of this otherwise nice player would be very welcome and could help me avoid reverting to my XE1 and buying another BluRay player - or from modifying my LG200 with a brick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

4:3 is a SD resolution (intended for DVDs), there's absolutely no provision for it in HD. I believe what you're asking for isn't normal. If your old Toshiba could do it, that's unusual. 4:3 HD content is always displayed pillarboxed. 4:3 SD content just set it to 16:9, 1080i and use your projector to display in 4:3. It'll be outputted that way by the BH200.

I've had my BH200 set to 1080i for the past 3 years and it's never reverted once. Try a factory reset .
Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply regarding BH200 Resolution settings.

I do realise that modern films etc are scaled for Wide Screen - but what happens when you want to watch an UPSCALED 4x3 format DVD ? - This is what the Toshiba HD-DVD players allow you to do.

As I mentioned before - I choose to use this setting purely for the convenience of NOT having to alter the PJ settings when watching ANY DVD or HD-DVD as Letterboxed.

Coming back to the LG BH200 - I have to reset it each time I switch it ON as it reverts to 1080p during the Boot-up sequence.

I tried leaving it powered up - but in Standby mode - and again it reverted to 1080p during boot-up after I had pressed the "Power" button on the RC.

So far as I have been able to check it - the ONLY time that 1080i is retained is while the unit is powered up and running - changing Discs does NOT cause the resolution to alter.

I now have 2 settings on my PJ to accomodate 4x3 and 16x9 formats while the BH200 is set to 16x9 which is the ONLY format available for the 1080 line resolution. I need the 4x3 PJ settng to "Un-squash" the BH200 16x9 output when viewing a 4x3 Film.

I have now had a chance to compare a standard US BH200 with another US BH200 which has been upgraded to Multiregion DVD and selectable BD Region - Both units reset to 1080p during Boot-up.

My connection is from HDMI o/p of BH200 to Pioneer HDMI Switcher to HD-Fury D/A converter to supply RGB to the PJ. This setup works fine with Toshiba HD-DVD player and works OK with BH200 ------ except for the Failure to Store the 1080i Setting.

I wonder what Software / etc version you are using on your BH200 ? - is it possible that my resolution setting problem is related to a Later Software Version ?

I wonder where you are located ? - I am SW London.

Regards
Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasernut View Post

As I mentioned before - I choose to use this setting purely for the convenience of NOT having to alter the PJ settings when watching ANY DVD or HD-DVD as Letterboxed.

Is it not a problem with BDs too then? I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. You may have to alter the projector when watching 4:3 content.

Quote:

I have now had a chance to compare a standard US BH200 with another US BH200 which has been upgraded to Multiregion DVD and selectable BD Region - Both units reset to 1080p during Boot-up.

My BH200 is imported from Belgium, so is a Euro model but I'd be surprised if that's the reason why, although have no way of testing this. I can't think why that's happening for you I'm afraid.

I don't recall any Americans (i.e - USA models) complaining about this but it has been a few years now. You could try searching I guess.

Quote:

I wonder what Software / etc version you are using on your BH200? - is it possible that my resolution setting problem is related to a Later Software Version?

From System Information (See "Miscellaneous - Firmware" in the Mini-FAQ):

Model: BH200-E1
SW Ver: BH02100330A (2010-03-30: firmware version)
Kernel Ver: 0212K
Root FS Ver: 0513R
Loader Ver: 0702 (driver version)
IO Ver: 07091200
AAS Key: Yes
CheckSum: 0x0E0D
DVD Region: 0
BD Region: B (I usually leave it on A)

You could try firmware BH02080402F (2008-04-02), that one has proven more stable for some people. It'll remove BD Live (Profile 2.0) if you care about that functionality. See "Where do I find older Firmware?" in the Mini-FAQ if you wish to download it.

What firmware versions are the two USA BH200s you have? It wouldn't do any harm to restore one of them to factory defaults, just to be sure too.

There are two ways to do this, one you'll see it says to press PAUSE in the System Information screen to perform a Factory Reset. It's also under HOME --> SETUP --> OTHERS --> INITIALIZE --> FACTORY SET. I imagine they do the same thing but I don't know this for sure, so do both.

p.s - I live near Bristol, South West .