AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Found this today...http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165610378688

Looks like LG had better get cracking on implimenting the rest of the HD-DVD spec (HDi, etc).
post #3 of 23 Old 01-13-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
This was posted already. Take a look at the top of the player - only blu ray on top. It's a picture of the blu ray player they were demonstrating at CES 2006.
post #4 of 23 Old 01-14-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

It may be a print omission, but I only noticed DD+, DTS and DTS-HD.
I missing something?

No TrueHD?
That would be stupid, THD is on more discs!!

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #5 of 23 Old 01-14-2007, 01:53 PM

Did anyone notice 8 bit video DAC? Please, I can't even consider a component like this. No HD DVD support either. Looks like LG may have prematurely threw out a fish hook to those thinking this is the answer.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-14-2007, 02:06 PM

It is also listed on Circuit City website...I noticed this player does 1080P/24 also... Can't wait to play with one!...
post #7 of 23 Old 01-15-2007, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

This was posted already. Take a look at the top of the player - only blu ray on top. It's a picture of the blu ray player they were demonstrating at CES 2006.

Take a look at the specs:

Plays BD-ROM, HD DVD-ROM, HD DVD+DVD hybrid, DVD, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW formats; supports MPEG-2, MPEG-4, LPCM, MLP, SMPTE, PNG, JPEG and GIF formats.

It is the same player.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-15-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Not the specs. It's the picture they have wrong!
post #9 of 23 Old 01-15-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I think it's still up in the air on whether they will be able to release this at all as it doesn't conform to the DVD Forum specs for HD-DVD.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-15-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did anyone notice 8 bit video DAC? Please, I can't even consider a component like this.

Why? The video on the disc is stored as 8bit/channel, so in theory it should resolve all the original information.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #11 of 23 Old 01-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I think it's still up in the air on whether they will be able to release this at all as it doesn't conform to the DVD Forum specs for HD-DVD.

They can release it, but they have to be careful with their marketing. They can't use the HD DVD logo and they have to say something like it plays HD DVD but does not fully support HD DVD features.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-15-2007, 12:59 PM

Now CC has it listed too with a even earlier release date of Feb 1st.

LG BH-100 on Circuit City
post #13 of 23 Old 02-10-2007, 04:13 PM

I saw one today at the BestBuy in Natick/Framingham, MA. One unit available new in the box and one opened and sitting on the shelf for display, but not connected to anything. I don't see them selling many of these at $1,199 without bothering to hook them up.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-11-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken View Post

It is also listed on Circuit City website...I noticed this player does 1080P/24 also... Can't wait to play with one!...

I just purchased this LG at Circuit City the other day.

I cannot get it to put out more than at 1080i signal (from both 1080p Blu-Ray or HD DVD discs) over HDMI to my Sharp Aquos LC-52D62U. I turned on the setting on the Sharp for film mode (3:2 - 24fps film) but still the LG seems to be reading the HDID from the HDMI 5 input (i'll try the HDMI 4 input too).

The LG manual states that the LG (over HDMI) will automatically select the highest capable resolution of the display. Well we know this display is capable of 1080p.

I contacted LG and this with the email reply I received: Dear Neil, Thank you for inquiring of LG Electronics. We appreciate your interest in this DVD player. The problem that is keeping your 1080p resolution from operating to the fullest is that it requires a monitor that displays 24 frames per second. Those televisions using a frequency of 50 or 60 frames per second will not display the 1080p resolution. For further information or troubleshooting, you may contact us at 800-243-0000 for LG Customer Service assistance. An agent will be glad to assist you. Thank you again for contacting LG Electronics. Neil E-mail Administrator Customer Interactive Center LGEAI

I know the Sharp is capable of 24fps because there is a page on the menu item that allowed me to select "Film Mode - 24fps). Just to be certain I went out to Best Buy today and purchased the Sony BDP-S1. Hooked it up and it immediately detected the TV's ability for 1080p and is playing movies at that resolution.

I like the idea of the LG so I could have one component (one less HDMI cable into my HDMI switching a/v receiver) for both formats and, I thought, save money over purchasing 2 components so I'd like to keep the thing if I can figure out how to force it to send out 1080p.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions they would be appreciated. Meanwhile I'll call LG again and try to get more assistance.

Thanks.
post #15 of 23 Old 02-11-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBBERpupLA View Post

I cannot get it to put out more than at 1080i signal (from both 1080p Blu-Ray or HD DVD discs) over HDMI to my Sharp Aquos LC-52D62U. I turned on the setting on the Sharp for film mode (3:2 - 24fps film) but still the LG seems to be reading the HDID from the HDMI 5 input (i'll try the HDMI 4 input too).

The LG manual states that the LG (over HDMI) will automatically select the highest capable resolution of the display. Well we know this display is capable of 1080p.

I contacted LG and this with the email reply I received: Dear Neil, Thank you for inquiring of LG Electronics. We appreciate your interest in this DVD player. The problem that is keeping your 1080p resolution from operating to the fullest is that it requires a monitor that displays 24 frames per second. Those televisions using a frequency of 50 or 60 frames per second will not display the 1080p resolution. For further information or troubleshooting, you may contact us at 800-243-0000 for LG Customer Service assistance. An agent will be glad to assist you. Thank you again for contacting LG Electronics. Neil E-mail Administrator Customer Interactive Center LGEAI

I know the Sharp is capable of 24fps because there is a page on the menu item that allowed me to select "Film Mode - 24fps). Just to be certain I went out to Best Buy today and purchased the Sony BDP-S1. Hooked it up and it immediately detected the TV's ability for 1080p and is playing movies at that resolution.

I like the idea of the LG so I could have one component (one less HDMI cable into my HDMI switching a/v receiver) for both formats and, I thought, save money over purchasing 2 components so I'd like to keep the thing if I can figure out how to force it to send out 1080p.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions they would be appreciated. Meanwhile I'll call LG again and try to get more assistance.

Thanks.

I would wait for the next dual format player to come out. The LG has the problem you are describing as well as it won't play 5.1 audio through HDMI. For that price it should do everything right.
post #16 of 23 Old 02-11-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

Film mode is for reverse telecine on your TV. Your TV does not accept 24fps on HDMI period.
post #17 of 23 Old 02-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken View Post

I would wait for the next dual format player to come out. The LG has the problem you are describing as well as it won't play 5.1 audio through HDMI. For that price it should do everything right.

Some people are having issues getting 5.1 through HDMI when connecting to a Pioneer or Denon receiver.

I am getting 5.1 audio from my LG connected to my Anthem AVM 50 through HDMI

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #18 of 23 Old 02-12-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

Film mode is for reverse telecine on your TV. Your TV does not accept 24fps on HDMI period.

I have no idea what reverse telecine is!

Does it accept 24fps on Component? I guess there's one way to find out! I'll try it.

Thanks you.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

What am I watching with the Sony Blu-Ray disc player hooked up to the Sharp when the display says it's receive 1080pm, 60Hz/fps? If that's the case why can't the LG put out 60fps and deliver the display 1080p as well?

Confuscious say "Much confusion."

Thank you, Neil.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:

I have no idea what reverse telecine is!

Does it accept 24fps on Component? I guess there's one way to find out! I'll try it.

Thanks you.

Just hooked the Sharp and LG together using the component video connections. The LG has added 480i to the list of resolutions it can now send the display however 1080p is still unavailable.

Guess I'll keep the Sony Blu-Ray and add a new Toshiba HD DVD player (one of the 2nd generation ones that are just being released that do 1080p). Too bad. The LG starts up and loads faster than the Sony Blu-Ray and it would have been nice to have one component for both formats.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
if we can find one open box with additional 20% off, that will be heacka deal
post #22 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just hooked the Sharp and LG together using the component video connections. The LG has added 480i to the list of resolutions it can now send the display however 1080p is still unavailable.

Guess I'll keep the Sony Blu-Ray and add a new Toshiba HD DVD player (one of the 2nd generation ones that are just being released that do 1080p). Too bad. The LG starts up and loads faster than the Sony Blu-Ray and it would have been nice to have one component for both formats.

is 1080p in really that important to you...I have a 45" Sharp Aquos which displays High Def signals at 1080p and I am sending 1080i from my LG using HDMI out and it looks great

I bought the LG for my living room because I didnt want to have or really need separate players like I have in my Theater. I have more Bluray movies but I still wanted to be able to play my HD DVD library in my living room

I think you would be hard pressed to see a difference with the Sony and the LG set at 1080i

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #23 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What am I watching with the Sony Blu-Ray disc player hooked up to the Sharp when the display says it's receive 1080pm, 60Hz/fps? If that's the case why can't the LG put out 60fps and deliver the display 1080p as well?

Confuscious say "Much confusion."

Thank you, Neil.

Read the LG specs -- 1080p60 is not an output option. If your TV can't accept a 1080p24 input, then just use film mode with 1080i60, you should get the same result as if you were inputing 1080p60.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page