*** The LG BH100 HD Super Multi Blue Player *** official owner's thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1391 Old 06-15-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCat View Post

Some of te Disks I play thow my unit in to the 1080I/60 mode, while most play in 1080P/24. How could it be - is there 1080i recording on thouse HD DVD discs?

Hmmm. No, the format is 1080p. How do you verify that it is switching to 1080i? In my case, my video processor flashes the input resolution that it recieves for a few seconds when I load up a disc. I did notice one time that the LG switched to 1080i but I think it had to do with some sort of reset of the LG so it switched to its default settings. I just switched it back to 1080p in the setup menu and it never happened again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1391 Old 06-15-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Some of te Disks I play thow my unit in to the 1080I/60 mode, while most play in 1080P/24. How could it be - is there 1080i recording on thouse HD DVD discs?

There could be. Anything that's filmed in video (many TV shows, low budget movies) actually originate in interlaced format. I would expect the player to send it out in 1080i, and to store it as 1080i/60 on the disc. The FBI warning is always in 1080i for example since it's originating from video and not film.

Carl Sundbom
New York Video Calibration
(646) 483-2419

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #273 of 1391 Old 06-17-2007, 10:28 AM

Liked: 11
Anyone know if the updates allow DTS-MA for BluRay ? The original spec states core only.
post #274 of 1391 Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csundbom View Post

There could be. Anything that's filmed in video (many TV shows, low budget movies) actually originate in interlaced format. I would expect the player to send it out in 1080i, and to store it as 1080i/60 on the disc. The FBI warning is always in 1080i for example since it's originating from video and not film.

I knew that SD DVDs had virtually no coding standards which caused tons of problems for decoding chips/algorithms, etc., but I thought that HD and BR discs had higher standards than that.
post #275 of 1391 Old 06-18-2007, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausifs View Post

Anyone know if the updates allow DTS-MA for BluRay ? The original spec states core only.

As far as I know the most recent updates have not added any additional audio functionality.
post #276 of 1391 Old 06-18-2007, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which specific discs cause this to occur? Is it a few or a lot?
post #277 of 1391 Old 06-18-2007, 07:35 AM

Just so i get it right, via 5.1 analogue, this player does NOT decode DTS-HD MA ??

From what I can gather it does DTS-HD (dts at 1.5mpbs) but does not do DTS-HD HR or DTS-HD MA?

Am i correct?

3D Display - Epson TW9000w 3D Projector | 3D Player - Panasonic BD-110 3D player/PS3 | 3D Receiver -  Onkyo TX-NR818 | Speakers - Klipsch Reference 5.1 Speakers | PB12-NSD SVS Subwoofer

post #278 of 1391 Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbug View Post

Just so i get it right, via 5.1 analogue, this player does NOT decode DTS-HD MA ??

From what I can gather it does DTS-HD (dts at 1.5mpbs) but does not do DTS-HD HR or DTS-HD MA?

Am i correct?

I posted the table from the manual on audio formats in post number 266. There is no mention there of DTS-HD HR or MA.
post #279 of 1391 Old 06-19-2007, 02:18 AM

LG sent me a firmware disc in the beginning of May. Maybe it is just my player, but does anyone else see a light-blue line on the bottom of the screen when playing blu-rays? Hd-dvds' and regular dvds', I don't see any distortion(plays with different optical equipment). The blue line is barely noticable, but there on my Bh100 for just blu-rays.
post #280 of 1391 Old 06-19-2007, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacpisces View Post

LG sent me a firmware disc in the beginning of May. Maybe it is just my player, but does anyone else see a light-blue line on the bottom of the screen when playing blu-rays? Hd-dvds' and regular dvds', I don't see any distortion(plays with different optical equipment). The blue line is barely noticable, but there on my Bh100 for just blu-rays.

No I haven't noticed it. How do you connect the player to your TV?
post #281 of 1391 Old 06-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hey guys, I 'll be visiting the US ( Florida, Port Charlotte) this week, and I wanted to pick up a dual format player.... I quickly read some of the post but not all 10 pages. I have a few questions regarding this player.

1) I have an Integra 7.6 receiver that handles PCM via HDMI. I know this because my A2 pumps out 5.1 DD+ & 5.1 DD True HD to the Integra 7.6 receiver. I want to know if the sound codecs have been fixed via FW updates on this player, so that I can get the 5.1 -DD+ & DD True HD, sound like I get now out of my A2 .

2) Is the BD side of things on this player ok, I mean will I get all menu functions and 5.1 LPCM via HDMI as with all other BD players? In other words can I play any BD movie on it and access what ever sound format is on the disk?

3) I know that the menu features for HDi was not fully implemented, has this been fixed yet, and if not is it even possible with a FW update?

4) What is a good price (out the door) for this player?

Thanks

Paul
post #282 of 1391 Old 06-19-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Hey guys, I 'll be visiting the US ( Florida, Port Charlotte) this week, and I wanted to pick up a dual format player.... I quickly read some of the post but not all 10 pages. I have a few questions regarding this player.

1) I have an Integra 7.6 receiver that handles PCM via HDMI. I know this because my A2 pumps out 5.1 DD+ & 5.1 DD True HD to the Integra 7.6 receiver. I want to know if the sound codecs have been fixed via FW updates on this player, so that I can get the 5.1 -DD+ & DD True HD, sound like I get now out of my A2 .

2) Is the BD side of things on this player ok, I mean will I get all menu functions and 5.1 LPCM via HDMI as with all other BD players? In other words can I play any BD movie on it and access what ever sound format is on the disk?

3) I know that the menu features for HDi was not fully implemented, has this been fixed yet, and if not is it even possible with a FW update?

4) What is a good price (out the door) for this player?

Thanks

Paul

Look at post #266 for a table of the sound formats. Bottom line is that digital is not the way to go with this player at this point. It has a fuller range of audio capabilities via analog.

BD side is fine. Full menu capabilities.

Still no menus for HD-DVDs. I haven't heard anything about if/when they will be enabled.

We are not suppose to discuss specific street prices but as far as I know there hasn't been much of a drop from MSRP. After all, it is the only combo on the market at this point.
post #283 of 1391 Old 06-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thanks Jack, I really appreciate all the info.

paul
post #284 of 1391 Old 06-20-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

No I haven't noticed it. How do you connect the player to your TV?

Thanks for the question, JackD.
I have an hdmi adapter. Hdmi plug from bh100 plugged into my dvi on my tv. It is subtle and doesn't detract to much from the beautiful picture HD gives, but wouldn't mind to get rid of it so blu-ray discs look a little better in 16x9. Maybe this is why the machine was bought by me as an open item? Just wondering if it recurs with others too and deciding if I should take the time to send it in under the first year return policy. Again it is a soft blue line at the bottom of my screen and only on blu-rays. Most people you have to point it out to them to notice.
post #285 of 1391 Old 06-20-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacpisces View Post

Thanks for the question, JackD.
I have an hdmi adapter. Hdmi plug from bh100 plugged into my dvi on my tv. It is subtle and doesn't detract to much from the beautiful picture HD gives, but wouldn't mind to get rid of it so blu-ray discs look a little better in 16x9. Maybe this is why the machine was bought by me as an open item? Just wondering if it recurs with others too and deciding if I should take the time to send it in under the first year return policy. Again it is a soft blue line at the bottom of my screen and only on blu-rays. Most people you have to point it out to them to notice.

How many pixels wide is the line? What sort of display are you using? If you add a bit of overscan do you still see it?
post #286 of 1391 Old 06-20-2007, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI. I watched Dune in HD-DVD yesterday. I noticed that it was playing in 1080i for some reason so I went to the set up menu in the LG and noticed that the default resolution had switched back to 1080i. I changed it back to 1080p and the movie played in 1080p after that.

I wonder if this is another glitch in the firmware?

BTW: I had forgotten how bad a movie Dune is! The British TV version of the Dune series is much better. The HD-DVD coding is not very good either. Both sound and picture seem pretty low quality.
post #287 of 1391 Old 06-20-2007, 09:26 PM

1080i- JackD(highest my tv goes in pixels; no progressive 1080)
When overscan, it disappears so this makes me think it is something with the blu-ray laser on it. Who knows though.
post #288 of 1391 Old 06-22-2007, 03:44 AM

Hey guys I just bought this player and have question. I read in a review that if you use this player with a DVI input there are errors in the color. Does anybody know of this issue? Will I have any problems using it with a DVI-HDMI adapter?

Thanks for any help
post #289 of 1391 Old 06-22-2007, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedrothchild299 View Post

Hey guys I just bought this player and have question. I read in a review that if you use this player with a DVI input there are errors in the color. Does anybody know of this issue? Will I have any problems using it with a DVI-HDMI adapter?

Thanks for any help

I have mine connected via HDMI to my outboard video processor but from there to the TV I go from HDMI to DVI. So there is an HDMI to DVI in the chain and there ar no color errors of which I'm aware.
post #290 of 1391 Old 06-22-2007, 10:33 AM

Hi, has somebody seen this player on some australian online shop, i need a B/R2 player, and it looks like the palyer is at the cheapest there(he is terribly overpriced in europe)?
post #291 of 1391 Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkron View Post

Hi, has somebody seen this player on some australian online shop, i need a B/R2 player, and it looks like the palyer is at the cheapest there(he is terribly overpriced in europe)?

Usually electronics are cheaper in the US than anywhere else. Even if the purchase price were cheaper in Australia it might not be so cheap once you factor in the shipping costs. And what if there were a problem with it? Have to ship it all the way back?
post #292 of 1391 Old 06-23-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that I've had the analog audio set up for a while I'm not particularly happy with it because of the lip sync problem. Of course in theory it's easy to use lip sync correction on my surround processor but the problem is that in practice it seems the delay changes even during one movie so that you have to keep fiddling with the lip sync correction.

What exactly is going on? Connecting by analog means the DACs from the LG are being used and that seems to slow down the video decoding? If true it seems that the LG doesn't have enough chip power built in. Perhaps it is just poor programing and with a firmware upgrade they could improve on this with more efficient algorithms.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I see now that there were a few posts on this issue a while back. The theory was that it is the new HD audio formats that cause the divergence between audio and video. I wonder if that's correct. It seems to me that last night I was watching Unforgiven in HD-DVD and it only has standard 5.1 and I noticed a lot of problems with lip sync.

It was also hypothesized that a lot of processors do not apply their lip sync correction to analog inputs. I'm checking now to see if my processor does.
post #293 of 1391 Old 06-23-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Well this sucks. Meridian confirmed that the lip sync doesn't work with analog. So I think the only option for me at this point is to go back to digital connections and use bitstream compression. Meridian confirmed that the problem with the sync has to do with the new sound formats.
post #294 of 1391 Old 06-23-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

I have mine connected via HDMI to my outboard video processor but from there to the TV I go from HDMI to DVI. So there is an HDMI to DVI in the chain and there ar no color errors of which I'm aware.

Thanks mine seems to be working fine too so I dont know what the reviewer was talking about. I have another question about this player regarding the audio. I have a Anthem pre amp that has full bass management on the analog inputs, so should I set the speakers on the LG setup to large so that it sends the full signal to the Anthem? I want the pre amp to do all the bass management. Thanks again
post #295 of 1391 Old 06-23-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedrothchild299 View Post

Thanks mine seems to be working fine too so I dont know what the reviewer was talking about. I have another question about this player regarding the audio. I have a Anthem pre amp that has full bass management on the analog inputs, so should I set the speakers on the LG setup to large so that it sends the full signal to the Anthem? I want the pre amp to do all the bass management. Thanks again

My answer to your question is 'Yes."
post #296 of 1391 Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 PM

I have a very good image of the BCM7438 from a LG/ Goldstar BluRay player. Would anyone have a data sheet on this device?
Jim
post #297 of 1391 Old 06-28-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Morrison View Post

I have a very good image of the BCM7438 from a LG/ Goldstar BluRay player. Would anyone have a data sheet on this device?
Jim

I don't recognize the model number to which you are referring but if you mean the subject of this thread you can get an electronic version of the manual by going to us.lgservice.com, choosing "owners manuals", selecting the product group: DVD,,,Settop box, and then plugging in BH100 for the model number.
post #298 of 1391 Old 06-28-2007, 12:39 PM

Thanks Jack. I do not need teh user manual for the BH100. What i am trying to find is a data sheet for the BCM7438 inside the BH100. I am conducting functional testing on this device and it woul dhelp to know the pin out of this device.. Thanks,
jim
post #299 of 1391 Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Morrison View Post

Thanks Jack. I do not need teh user manual for the BH100. What i am trying to find is a data sheet for the BCM7438 inside the BH100. I am conducting functional testing on this device and it woul dhelp to know the pin out of this device.. Thanks,
jim

Oh I see it's one of the chips. Sorry, I have no idea.
post #300 of 1391 Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Thank you sir
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page