*** The LG BH100 HD Super Multi Blue Player *** official owner's thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 1391 Old 06-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Member
 
Ujkadusko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,everyone who owns THE only proper HD player in the world.I am early adapter of HD DVD(June 2006) and I was satisfied user of Toshiba HD-A1(at least after FW 2.0).But,after first James Bond movie(Casino Royale) on Blur Ray,I had to admit myself that I have problem of not watching it on High Def(been there with DVD Audio which sounded better than SACD,but because of Labels stronger support for SACD,I bought universal player(Esoteric DV 50S).SO,I sold my soul to the devil(SONY-FONY) and got Casino Royale,sold my beloved Toshiba and just bought LG(European one,I am from Belgrade,Serbia).My experience with LG compared to Toshiba and watched with SIM2 HT300 Link projector is that LG has slightly better picture and much better sound( connected analogly to Audio Research multi channel preamp.Pass amps and Avalon speakers) AND I can watch James Bond without buying any equipment from Fony and Co.
Thank You very much LG for being brave enough to support better format(HD DVD) together with Blur Ray and I hope that other companies(except Sony,of course) will follow You with some truly universal player with DVD audio and SACD compability(I have right to dream,don`t I!)
Ujkadusko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 1391 Old 06-29-2007, 10:27 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I wonder if this unit has any huge price reductions coming soon?

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is online now  
post #303 of 1391 Old 06-30-2007, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I wonder if this unit has any huge price reductions coming soon?

Why would it? Is there any competition?
Jack D is offline  
post #304 of 1391 Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Member
 
reedrothchild299's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just thought I would post my observations on this player. I bought mine off ebay a week ago and have been using it everyday playing at least three discs a day. I have the video hooked up using HDMI to a dlp projector on a 92" screen, and audio to my anthem avm30 pre amp using analog and digital coaxal. First Bluray, has played every disc perfectly with incredibly sharp and detailed picture (the best being pirates dead mans chest). All the menus have worked except on the pirates disc on the liars dice game which didn't seem to work so I just went back to the main menu. Sound is incredible using analog out especialy when using uncompressed tracks, it might just be me but the rears didn't seem to be as loud using analog as when using the digital out which also sounds very good. Now Hddvd, every disc worked perfectly and I actually like not having the interactive features, it just goes directly to the movie and I like that. Picture quality with Hddvd is just as impressive as bluray sharp and extremely detailed. Sound quality lacks a bit because of the absesce of TruHD but still very good. SD Dvds, now this is the only place where I think this unit does not excel, it is nearly average and my Denon 2930ci is much much better at scaling. All in all it gets a B+ if they fix the TruHd for HdDvd then an A. Good job LG..
reedrothchild299 is offline  
post #305 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 05:26 AM
Senior Member
 
mattmarsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Slough, UK
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just downloaded the firmware from the LG website and the filename is LG_BH_LX100001BN_PKG114_070308A_BH100_7412_1GB.zip is this the may firmware because it says it was created in March?
mattmarsden is offline  
post #306 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Member
 
pacpisces's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you have Batman Begins, the part with the mobile cruising on the roof scene and put on TrueHD audio, with it hooked up digitally to reciever and hear the difference. To me this machine sounded impressive on 2 channels even before the update as it has two decoders.
pacpisces is offline  
post #307 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarsden View Post

Just downloaded the firmware from the LG website and the filename is LG_BH_LX100001BN_PKG114_070308A_BH100_7412_1GB.zip is this the may firmware because it says it was created in March?

No there is another firmware that is something like 070503 which is the May 3 version.
Jack D is offline  
post #308 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedrothchild299 View Post

Just thought I would post my observations on this player. I bought mine off ebay a week ago and have been using it everyday playing at least three discs a day. I have the video hooked up using HDMI to a dlp projector on a 92" screen, and audio to my anthem avm30 pre amp using analog and digital coaxal. First Bluray, has played every disc perfectly with incredibly sharp and detailed picture (the best being pirates dead mans chest). All the menus have worked except on the pirates disc on the liars dice game which didn't seem to work so I just went back to the main menu. Sound is incredible using analog out especialy when using uncompressed tracks, it might just be me but the rears didn't seem to be as loud using analog as when using the digital out which also sounds very good. Now Hddvd, every disc worked perfectly and I actually like not having the interactive features, it just goes directly to the movie and I like that. Picture quality with Hddvd is just as impressive as bluray sharp and extremely detailed. Sound quality lacks a bit because of the absesce of TruHD but still very good. SD Dvds, now this is the only place where I think this unit does not excel, it is nearly average and my Denon 2930ci is much much better at scaling. All in all it gets a B+ if they fix the TruHd for HdDvd then an A. Good job LG..

I pretty much agree with your views. Two things, though:

1. I find that sometimes with analog sound I get lip sync problems that I can't control with my processor because it doesn't do correction on an analog signal. Sometimes there is not a problem and sometimes there is. It's a bit frustrating.

2. I don't really care what it does with SD DVD since I have a Denon 3910 connected to my system via SDI and it provides an excellent picture. i've got enough space on my rack for both machines, so it doesn't really matter to me what the LG does with SD.
Jack D is offline  
post #309 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
mattmarsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Slough, UK
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jack, do you know where i can find that version of firmware because i cant seem to find it on the LG website. Thanks

Edit: Being stupid, i found it! sorry
mattmarsden is offline  
post #310 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Senior Member
 
mattmarsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Slough, UK
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just a quick qestion, when outputting DTHD from blu-ray, is it definitely giving the full DTHD or is it just the 5.1 core stream - has anyone compared the 2 to prove that it is the full on DTHD?
mattmarsden is offline  
post #311 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarsden View Post

just a quick qestion, when outputting DTHD from blu-ray, is it definitely giving the full DTHD or is it just the 5.1 core stream - has anyone compared the 2 to prove that it is the full on DTHD?

If you look at the table in the manual (also can be found in post #266) it indicates 5.1 for analog and DTS for digital connection. I take this to mean that it is the full stream when connected via analog.
Jack D is offline  
post #312 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Member
 
reedrothchild299's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

I pretty much agree with your views. Two things, though:

1. I find that sometimes with analog sound I get lip sync problems that I can't control with my processor because it doesn't do correction on an analog signal. Sometimes there is not a problem and sometimes there is. It's a bit frustrating.

2. I don't really care what it does with SD DVD since I have a Denon 3910 connected to my system via SDI and it provides an excellent picture. i've got enough space on my rack for both machines, so it doesn't really matter to me what the LG does with SD.

Jack D is there a lip sync problem on all audio formats through analog, or just lossless? I have not experienced this problem yet but I do have full correction through my processor if nessesary. I also don't care about sd playback as I bought this unit for HD content.
reedrothchild299 is offline  
post #313 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Member
 
reedrothchild299's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarsden View Post

just a quick qestion, when outputting DTHD from blu-ray, is it definitely giving the full DTHD or is it just the 5.1 core stream - has anyone compared the 2 to prove that it is the full on DTHD?


I have listened to both on the same disc, and if my hearing servers me right it is decoding full DTSHD. Now what I am confused about is if it is decoding DTSMA. An Example is Alien vs Predator when using the DTSMA track through analog I get full 5.1. Am i getting the core 1.5mps or the full Master Audio recording? Either way it sound excellent. Btw I have a March build date.
reedrothchild299 is offline  
post #314 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedrothchild299 View Post

Jack D is there a lip sync problem on all audio formats through analog, or just lossless? I have not experienced this problem yet but I do have full correction through my processor if nessesary. I also don't care about sd playback as I bought this unit for HD content.

I honestly don't know. All I know is that sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't. Are you sure you have correction via analog with your procesor? Which processor do you have?
Jack D is offline  
post #315 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rutgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 5,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The only time I have a lip sync issue is right after I pause, and then un-pause a movie. But I can usually correct the problem by running the video back a bit, or hitting the chapter button to go back to the beginning of the chapter.

Rutgar is offline  
post #316 of 1391 Old 07-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Member
 
reedrothchild299's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

I honestly don't know. All I know is that sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't. Are you sure you have correction via analog with your procesor? Which processor do you have?

Yes positive, its an Anthem AVM30. It also has full bass management and THX processing via analog input which is nice. Connected to 1095 Rotel amp driving Paradigm S8 speakers its a great combo. Btw I just finished watching The Patriot on Bluray, this is definite demo material.
reedrothchild299 is offline  
post #317 of 1391 Old 07-11-2007, 01:08 AM
Member
 
pacpisces's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

The only time I have a lip sync issue is right after I pause, and then un-pause a movie. But I can usually correct the problem by running the video back a bit, or hitting the chapter button to go back to the beginning of the chapter.

Same here, not a big deal to me. It seems to happen just when I pause it to go in the other room. The way I fix it quickly is hit the stop button once(if you hit it twice it will restart everything) and then play again and it is syncs back up again. It doesn't always happen, but just wanted to let you know what you can do instead of rrw or ffw to fix it.
pacpisces is offline  
post #318 of 1391 Old 07-11-2007, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarsden View Post

Jack, do you know where i can find that version of firmware because i cant seem to find it on the LG website. Thanks

Edit: Being stupid, i found it! sorry

No, you're not stupid; their way of labeling the updates is terrible. I had the same problem at first. I was looking right at it but there were too many numbers and letters.
Jack D is offline  
post #319 of 1391 Old 07-11-2007, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedrothchild299 View Post

Yes positive, its an Anthem AVM30. It also has full bass management and THX processing via analog input which is nice. Connected to 1095 Rotel amp driving Paradigm S8 speakers its a great combo. Btw I just finished watching The Patriot on Bluray, this is definite demo material.

I'm happy with my sound too (Meridian pre, Mac monobloc amps, BW 800D series speakers) it's just that the processor doesn't do correction in analog. I don't know why they would omit that feature on such a good processor.

Anyway, back on topic:

Hmm maybe you guys are on to something with the cause of the lip sync problems. I seem to remember, now that you mention it, that I have had the problem when I pause a movie. I'll try your solution the next time I notice the problem. thx.
Jack D is offline  
post #320 of 1391 Old 07-11-2007, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
csundbom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

Hmm maybe you guys are on to something with the cause of the lip sync problems. I seem to remember, now that you mention it, that I have had the problem when I pause a movie. I'll try your solution the next time I notice the problem. thx.

I have the same problem if I leave it paused for too long. Resuming normally results in lipsync being off. If it happens, a quick pause-unpause normally fixes it. I think it has something to do with spinning up the disc when there is some data in the read-buffer. Don't know if you noticed, but there is normally a small "skip" after you un-pause a disc that's been paused for a long time. I think that's the cause of the issue, and it should be easy to fix in the firmware. Maybe we should report it LG?

Carl Sundbom
New York Video Calibration
(646) 483-2419
http://www.ny-calibration.com
csundbom is offline  
post #321 of 1391 Old 07-11-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by csundbom View Post

I have the same problem if I leave it paused for too long. Resuming normally results in lipsync being off. If it happens, a quick pause-unpause normally fixes it. I think it has something to do with spinning up the disc when there is some data in the read-buffer. Don't know if you noticed, but there is normally a small "skip" after you un-pause a disc that's been paused for a long time. I think that's the cause of the issue, and it should be easy to fix in the firmware. Maybe we should report it LG?

Sounds like a plausible explanation. Sure we should report it to LG. How? You'd think they would be monitoring a group like this but I guess we can't count on that.
Jack D is offline  
post #322 of 1391 Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
samsungmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

Sounds like a plausible explanation. Sure we should report it to LG. How? You'd think they would be monitoring a group like this but I guess we can't count on that.


Dont worry you are being monitored and your issues are being sent to LG.

Life is Good
samsungmaster is offline  
post #323 of 1391 Old 07-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Member
 
Ujkadusko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If they are monitoring this tread,They should get our wishlist for the future firmware upgrades.So,here is my short list:
1) Dolby True HD on HD DVD in 5.1
2) 1080P in 60Hz
3) Distance settings in Speaker settings

For number 3), I am not shure if that is possible,but for first and second,if Toshiba did it(number 2 in opposite direction), LG should do it as well.They are not small company without experience.
Ujkadusko is offline  
post #324 of 1391 Old 07-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Member
 
mattmarsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Slough, UK
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Add multichannel audio over HDMI to that list
mattmarsden is offline  
post #325 of 1391 Old 07-12-2007, 04:27 AM
Senior Member
 
samsungmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujkadusko View Post

If they are monitoring this tread,They should get our wishlist for the future firmware upgrades.So,here is my short list:
1) Dolby True HD on HD DVD in 5.1
2) 1080P in 60Hz
3) Distance settings in Speaker settings

For number 3), I am not shure if that is possible,but for first and second,if Toshiba did it(number 2 in opposite direction), LG should do it as well.They are not small company without experience.


This is being monitored not for a wish list but for problems on the user end. The 2nd generation BH100 will have additional features but that I have no say in.

Life is Good
samsungmaster is offline  
post #326 of 1391 Old 07-12-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
JimmyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Runco Island CA.
Posts: 4,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FWIW,
I just spoke with "Juan" at LG service about an issue with Discovery HD DVD's locking up my BH100 and he said they are aware of this among "other" problems. Yes, another firmware up-grade is in the works. I tried to get an approxamate release time but no soap, "they are working on it".
JimmyR is offline  
post #327 of 1391 Old 07-12-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmaster View Post

This is being monitored not for a wish list but for problems on the user end. The 2nd generation BH100 will have additional features but that I have no say in.

It would be nice if the first generation owners were able to enjoy the additional features of the 2nd generation BH100.
Jack D is offline  
post #328 of 1391 Old 07-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
samsungmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

It would be nice if the first generation owners were able to enjoy the additional features of the 2nd generation BH100.

You will when you buy the 2nd generation.

Life is Good
samsungmaster is offline  
post #329 of 1391 Old 07-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
mattmarsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Slough, UK
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see theres a new firmware up on the LG service website, looks like 11th July dated. As I dony have my BH100 yet does anyone know what it does?
mattmarsden is offline  
post #330 of 1391 Old 07-18-2007, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarsden View Post

I see theres a new firmware up on the LG service website, looks like 11th July dated. As I dony have my BH100 yet does anyone know what it does?

Good info. I haven't installed it yet but the fixes (copied from the LG site) are:

1. System hang-up, when it push the Stop key in JAVA loading
2. Black screen occurs, when it push the Stop key in system menu
3. It can't excute Game function in special feature, the "Pirates Of The Caribbean 2" Blu-ray title.
4. It can't excute "Slow" function in Blu-ray Disc.
Jack D is offline  
Reply Dual Format Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off