AVS Forum banner

*** The LG BH100 HD Super Multi Blue Player *** official owner's thread

318K views 1K replies 249 participants last post by  chrisdk23 
#1 ·
I figured this should be placed here in the general section, seeing as it plays both discs.

So, has anyone pulled the trigger on this puppy yet? Lets get the reviews and discussion started from owners and users.

Please keep this thread isolated to reports of the new LG BH100 HD Super Multi Blue Player only. Questions and comments related to those reports are fine, but find a different thread if discussions head into off-topic territory.

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata /forum/post/0

Can anybody verify that the text from the owner's manual is correct.

"If the disc is copy protected, the resolution will be changed to 480i automatically."

This has to be a typo. Why would the player not output 480p like every other player with component analog outputs?

I'm not sure how many discs are "copy protected" but I tried "Troy" on HD DVD and componet output is 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 /forum/post/0

Do you have a better picture? I can't quite make out the numbers on the Broadcom chips. It looks like a BCM7038 (or BCM7438 ?), and two BCM7412's.

Ron

It looks like 7438, but there's no such P/N in Broadcom's catalog. Their BD/HD-DVD SoC is called BCM7440...perhaps the 7438 was a prototype that became the 7440? The other two are 7412's (decoders).

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry928 /forum/post/0

I am the ISF reporting my observations with the LG BH100 outputting 1080/24p with a Lumagen external scaler. I confirmed the output ability with a LG engineer. This player does not support 1080/60p output. AFAIK this is the only player currently able to output an HD DVD as its native 1080/24p.

The 1080p option is greyed out on my display in the BH100 menu. Is this because my Samsung HL-S6187W does not support 1080/24p?

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry928 /forum/post/0

That is the most likely scenario but it is possible that the display supports the resolution and the EDID file is wrong. We need someone with an HLS series display and a external scaler to test for 24p support to be sure. Can anyone help with that test?

Could the EDID file be changed with a firmware update?

#59 ·

Quote:

Jeff,

This only applies to SD DVDs. I just tried my copy of the Troy DVD on the HD-A1 and it reverts to 480p, so Troy is copy protected.

I tried two other SD DVDs and I was able to switch between 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i via component (Red/Green/Blue). I did have to press STOP twice to stop the movie then push the RESOLUTION button then press PLAY to start the movie again. But the resolution was changing.

The two SD DVDs were Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith and Brokeback Mountain (the DVD side of the HD DVD combo disc).

#61 ·
I've been in contact with product planners and support engineers at LG's US headquarters and their service division.

*I am not an LG employee. We are a dealer and authorized service center. What I am telling everyone here is not to be considered official LG information*

They are aware of the HDMI issue, especially with the Denon receivers (has anyone tested any other brand of receiver?)

They are working on a software fix and will have firmware available to be installed by a service tech. Historically LG has not made firmware available to the general public (only to ASC's.)

I will keep everyone here up to date so long as everyone behaves and refrains from whining about HDMI audio not working and calling LG crap. Last time I checked first gen cutting edge products such as this one have problems. If you don't want to be on the cutting edge don't join the club, and please don't whine when it doesn't work!

#64 ·
#68 ·

Quote:

Probably just wishful thinking, but does the BH100 support 1080p 24 fps over HDMI for SD DVD? I was browsing through the online manual and such details are scarce.

Fixed typo: BH200 -> BH100

It only supports SD-DVD upconversion to 1080i. See also page 16 of the online manual. It says:

"DVD playback: 1080p, 720p, 480p are available."

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrder /forum/post/0

Is the 1080p option greyed out on the BH100 menu for anyone else?

I'm outputing over HDMI to a Samsung HL-S6187W.

You would think I would just get a black screen if 1080p/24 wasn't supported by my set.

It is greyed out on the BH100 menu for me as well on my Sony SXRD 50A2000 which does not support 1080p/24 (only 1080p/60). It is not greyed out on my Panasonic AX100 which does support 1080p/24.

What you are seeing is expected behavior if you have a set that does only 1080p/60.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersun /forum/post/0

It is greyed out on the BH100 menu for me as well on my Sony SXRD 50A2000 which does not support 1080p/24 (only 1080p/60). It is not greyed out on my Panasonic AX100 which does support 1080p/24.

What you are seeing is expected behavior if you have a set that does only 1080p/60.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm still wondering if LG will support 1080p/60 with a future firmware update?

Is this possible?

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 /forum/post/0

With two decoders, it should be BD PiP capable.

Maybe.

There are 128MB DDR SDRAM and another 512MB DDR SDRAM, 512MB Flash Memory and another 4MB Flash, and Xilinx Spartan-3E FPGA. Just look at chips, mainboard seems to be capable of Profile 1.1.

Downside is its HDMI connection is quite problematic. It locked up when I fed HDMI to AVR HDMI connector and got no video and audio. Only success was direct connection to TV.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrder /forum/post/0

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm still wondering if LG will support 1080p/60 with a future firmware update?

Is this possible?

I got this response from LG:

Thank you for your continued correspondence.

We understand your concerns now. This unit has just been released. At

this time, there has been no mention of any firmware updates. We will

forward your request to our technical staff regarding this matter.

For further information or troubleshooting, you may contact us at

800-243-0000 for LG Customer Service assistance. An agent will be glad to

assist you. Thank you again for contacting LG Electronics.

E-mail Administrator

Customer Interactive Center

LGEAI

Although it sounds like customer service BS, it doesn't sound very promising.

BTW, I had a stutter then audio/video sync problems at the end of Speed (BD) last night. It was a rental disc, so it could have been scratched.

I ejected the disc, put it back in, and navigated to the problem scene.

Everything was fine from there. Hopefully not a player issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.