*** The LG BH100 HD Super Multi Blue Player *** official owner's thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1391 Old 06-26-2008, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

The UK remote should work with the US BH100....

thank you for your reply...Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1391 Old 06-27-2008, 01:21 AM

You could also just get a Harmony Remote... They are fantastic, I've never actually used the remote that came with mine in the first place.
post #903 of 1391 Old 06-27-2008, 03:01 PM

God I am so confused on the audio options of the BH100 with my Onkyo TX-SR605. I have researched online for how to configure both to maximize the best audio options available on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and I need some input please.

First, my understanding is that I should not use audio of the BH100 via HDMI. When I do this via PCM/96 mode on the BH100 my Onkyo reverts to PLII status. I understand that the new formats will not traverse the HDMI connection.

Second, with an Optical output from the BH100 to the Onkyo I get great audio and the Onkyo registers either DTS or Dolby Digital when the BH100 is in Bitstream mode, versus PCM mode. I have no complaints on this front, but I do not seem to receive any of the new audio options like DTS-HD or DTS-MA.

Third, just today I have hooked up the BH100 to the Onkyo via two Front analog connections, a Center connection and a Subwoofer connection, as I do not yet have Rear speakers or the 7.1 side speakers installed. I can then go into Multichannel mode on the Onkyo, but I still do not see the Onkyo register DTS-MA, Dolby-HD. Those indicators have never come on under any configuration. All it registers is Multichannel.

I was not able to really hear any significant difference with PCM/96 out to the Analog connections, in comparison to the Optical out via Bitstream/96. Am I missing something? Is Bitstream inferior to PCM?

I feel like I am not really getting the best setup I can with my Onkyo, audio-wise. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark
post #904 of 1391 Old 06-27-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Third, just today I have hooked up the BH100 to the Onkyo via two Front analog connections, a Center connection and a Subwoofer connection, as I do not yet have Rear speakers or the 7.1 side speakers installed. I can then go into Multichannel mode on the Onkyo, but I still do not see the Onkyo register DTS-MA, Dolby-HD. Those indicators have never come on under any configuration. All it registers is Multichannel.

this is how it is suppose to show it, all receivers that have multi channel analog inputs do not display what formatt is playing because it doesn know, the player is doing the decoding, you will see it on the on screen diisplay when you hit audio or on the players display itself. This is how i use the formatts from the BH 100 also, I set it up for 5.1 out and use my 5.1 analog input on my Adcom Pre amp. Sound is way better than the Coax or optical and you get i think all the formats true HD, DTS MA ect.

Athanasios
post #905 of 1391 Old 06-28-2008, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I dont think you get DTS MA through the Analog, and we know we dont get it through HDMI ....
post #906 of 1391 Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 PM

So how do I get the new lossless audio formats working correctly with my Onkyo and BH100? Is it via Optical? Or Analog (I just don't see how this could be the case)? HDMI does not seem to work.

Am I stressing for nothing? Is this really that big of a deal or a difference? Does anyone else here have the Onkyo and if so, have you seen it display DTS-MA, DTS-HD or DD-HD on the front display? I can only assume this must be related to the limitations of my LG BH100.

Mark
post #907 of 1391 Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok I just checked Jumper BD and I get DTS HD on screen with analog outs to my Adcom and i went into the set up on the Jumper menu and selected DTS HD master audio.

Not sure if this is how it should look on screen or if it would show DTS HD MA? but before when I had a DTS HD disc it only showed DTS and the 5.1 under it i could not get it to show the HD next to the DTS and now it does. And I am sure of this because I wanted to see what the newest firmware did last time i changed it in feb of this year, I forgot what disc i used but it had DTS HD Master Audio and before i did the update it only showed DTS and after it showed DTS HD. not sure if this is the same as DTS HD Master Audio though.

Athanasios
post #908 of 1391 Old 06-29-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Ok I just checked Jumper BD and I get DTS HD on screen with analog outs to my Adcom and i went into the set up on the Jumper menu and selected DTS HD master audio.

Not sure if this is how it should look on screen or if it would show DTS HD MA? but before when I had a DTS HD disc it only showed DTS and the 5.1 under it i could not get it to show the HD next to the DTS and now it does. And I am sure of this because I wanted to see what the newest firmware did last time i changed it in feb of this year, I forgot what disc i used but it had DTS HD Master Audio and before i did the update it only showed DTS and after it showed DTS HD. not sure if this is the same as DTS HD Master Audio though.

Athanasios

This would be good new's if LG have updated the BH100 to decode DTS Master,Although I always thought the BH100 took the core of DTS Master(1.5mps) and output that through HDMI/Spdif. The BH100 does internaly decode DD True-HD, DD plus and DTS-HD for BLU-RAY only,and outputs these codecs only through 5.1 analog's untouched as well as LPCM, And core for HDMI /Spdif only. For HD-DVD the sound codecs are some what limited, DD true-HD 2 channel only for All output's or standard DD, for DD plus 5.1 analog only or DD for HDMI/Spdif , DTS-HD 5.1 analog only and Core for HDMI/Spdif....
post #909 of 1391 Old 06-29-2008, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcWane View Post

So how do I get the new lossless audio formats working correctly with my Onkyo and BH100? Is it via Optical? Or Analog (I just don't see how this could be the case)? HDMI does not seem to work.

Am I stressing for nothing? Is this really that big of a deal or a difference? Does anyone else here have the Onkyo and if so, have you seen it display DTS-MA, DTS-HD or DD-HD on the front display? I can only assume this must be related to the limitations of my LG BH100.

Mark

The only way to get the lossles codecs is through the 5.1 analog out's, Coax Spdif can only carry up to 1.5mbs which translates to core only....
post #910 of 1391 Old 06-29-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Or HDMI.
post #911 of 1391 Old 06-29-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

This would be good new's if LG have updated the BH100 to decode DTS Master,Although I always thought the BH100 took the core of DTS Master(1.5mps) and output that through HDMI/Spdif. The BH100 does internaly decode DD True-HD, DD plus and DTS-HD for BLU-RAY only,and outputs these codecs only through 5.1 analog's untouched as well as LPCM, And core for HDMI /Spdif only. For HD-DVD the sound codecs are some what limited, DD true-HD 2 channel only for All output's or standard DD, for DD plus 5.1 analog only or DD for HDMI/Spdif , DTS-HD 5.1 analog only and Core for HDMI/Spdif....

Your Correct, I am getting this using the analog outs. I do ot have a HDMI receiver so I cant test HDMI, but the 5.1 sounds way better than my Adcom just doing the normal DTS. Especially dialog, its crisp and clear.

Athanasios
post #912 of 1391 Old 06-29-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Or HDMI.

No The BH100 does not output LPCM/HD codecs from its crippeld HDMI, only core according to the BH100's manual in the audio compatablity menu....
post #913 of 1391 Old 07-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I currently have my bh100 going to my receiver via spdif optical audio cable. My receiver is capable of only dolby digital 5.1 and DTS. Will I get better quality audio if I use analog cables over the spdif optical audio cable?
post #914 of 1391 Old 07-05-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl@cker View Post

I currently have my bh100 going to my receiver via spdif optical audio cable. My receiver is capable of only dolby digital 5.1 and DTS. Will I get better quality audio if I use analog cables over the spdif optical audio cable?

YES!!!!!! use all 5 outputs on the BH100 and then you can select he lossless formats in the menu and the BH100 does the decoding.

Athanasios
post #915 of 1391 Old 07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
No display dimmer????
No display dimmer?!?!
No display dimmer!!!!
What is this? 1988 or 2008.

No back-lit remote (I know people upgrade their remotes), no coax digital out (unforgivable; even w/HDMI), & no S-video out (I know: ancient tech); however we are talking about a unit that at one time carried a $1000.00US list price.

I'm happy I got one.
$224.95US at BB new.
It's "saved" my 75+ HD DVD's!
(got three more last night)
The fan is much more quite than my A-35 (it was so loud it MUST have been defective); Tosh wouldn't touch it so I returned it. Audio is as good to me as the A-35 (it's been a while).
And now I can play my BD collection (got two more titles last night)!

ENJOY!!!

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #916 of 1391 Old 07-09-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

No display dimmer????
No display dimmer?!?!
No display dimmer!!!!
What is this? 1988 or 2008.

No back-lit remote (I know people upgrade their remotes), no coax digital out (unforgivable; even w/HDMI), & no S-video out (I know: ancient tech); however we are talking about a unit that at one time carried a $1000.00US list price.

I'm happy I got one.
$224.95US at BB new.
It's "saved" my 75+ HD DVD's!
(got three more last night)
The fan is much more quite than my A-35 (it was so loud it MUST have been defective); Tosh wouldn't touch it so I returned it. Audio is as good to me as the A-35 (it's been a while).
And now I can play my BD collection (got two more titles last night)!

ENJOY!!!

Your going to love this player!!!

Athanasios
post #917 of 1391 Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your going to love this player!!!

Athanasios

Thanks, I already do!

Forgot to add: touch buttons you can't touch & took three tries to recognize "LForDH".
On the plus side: its faster (load times) than my A-35, soft film-like PQ, & it's a HD combo disc player (huh!).

post #918 of 1391 Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my 1st CD player in '88.
I got my 1st DVD player n '98.
And my 1st HD Disc unit n '08.

So, all of my digital player entry yrs have had an 8!

(fudging some; cause my 1st HD DVD player was in Oct. '07, however I returned it)

post #919 of 1391 Old 07-09-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the Build date on a sticker in the back? if its early 2007 or late 2006 you may have a region free BD player able to play region A and B !!! and with the DVD hack on the BH200 thread you'll be region free for SD DVD too!!!! how about that for a multiplayer!!!!!!!!!

Athanasios
post #920 of 1391 Old 07-10-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the Build date on a sticker in the back? if its early 2007 or late 2006 you may have a region free BD player able to play region A and B !!! and with the DVD hack on the BH200 thread you'll be region free for SD DVD too!!!! how about that for a multiplayer!!!!!!!!!

Athanasios

Feb '08
(update disc coming)
I don't own any non-R1 (except R0) SD DVD's.
Butt yeah; that would have made it an even more "Super-multi"!

And one more thing (hopefully):
NO ZOOM

EDitEDbyED:
Hey Athanasios!
We've got the East Coast/West Coast thing going.
Enjoy!

post #921 of 1391 Old 07-11-2008, 11:33 AM

I just got my BH100 yesterday and I love it! It's supposed to have the latest firmware update from February installed, but how do I check to see which firmware is running just to be sure? Do you think a May 2007 build date would be region free for BD?
post #922 of 1391 Old 07-11-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardee View Post

I just got my BH100 yesterday and I love it! It's supposed to have the latest firmware update from February installed, but how do I check to see which firmware is running just to be sure? Do you think a May 2007 build date would be region free for BD?

Welcome to the Club !!!! The info is in this thread somewhere.And I think in one of the downloadable documents where the actual frmwear downloads are.

Athanasios
post #923 of 1391 Old 07-12-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the Club !!!! The info is in this thread somewhere.And I think in one of the downloadable documents where the actual frmwear downloads are.

Athanasios

Thanks! I found all of the info here. My BH100 does indeed have the latest firmware installed and should be region free with the hack.
post #924 of 1391 Old 07-19-2008, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI in case you guys haven't noticed, there looks to be a new BH100 firmware:

Firmware name: BH01080624A
Firmware date: 06/24/2008

Go to:

USA - http://us.lgservice.com/
Canada - http://ca.lgservice.com/
UK - http://gb.lgservice.com/
Belgium - http://be.lgservice.com/
Switzerland - http://ch.lgservice.com/

If your country isn't listed, go to: http://www.lgservice.com/

Then:

1. Click on DEVICE DRIVER, then click on DVD&VIDEO&SET TOP
2. Click the Search button
3. You will be presented with a list of BH100/BH200 downloads, the highest BH100/BH200 link in the list is the latest firmware.
post #925 of 1391 Old 07-22-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

bradavon, very nice post.
Thank you for taking the time to insert the links and the concise and accurate information you provided. All "older" AVS members should take note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

FYI in case you guys haven't noticed, there looks to be a new BH100 firmware:

Firmware name: BH01080624A
Firmware date: 06/24/2008

Go to:

USA - http://us.lgservice.com/
Canada - http://ca.lgservice.com/
UK - http://gb.lgservice.com/
Belgium - http://be.lgservice.com/
Switzerland - http://ch.lgservice.com/

If your country isn't listed, go to: http://www.lgservice.com/

Then:

1. Click on DEVICE DRIVER, then click on DVD&VIDEO&SET TOP
2. Click the Search button
3. You will be presented with a list of BH100/BH200 downloads, the highest BH100/BH200 link in the list is the latest firmware.

post #926 of 1391 Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

No worries .

This time it was no trouble, as I'd already typed it for the BH200 crowd anyway. 99% of it is the same.
post #927 of 1391 Old 07-26-2008, 07:27 PM

Okay, I've had the BH100 for a bit. It's been great, except for one thing it doesn't project 1080P picture only 1080i. I know for a fact my TV is a 1080P T.V. However I can't scrounge the model number it's one of the Panasonic Viera TH- series (which is a plasma) now I can get it to be set to 1080P, but it is to the right hand corner of the screen, as in only 1/2 to 3/4ths of the T.V. is covered, I heard that on Plasmas the BH100 doesn't project 1080P is this true and is there a work around?
post #928 of 1391 Old 07-26-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

it should work, there has to be some sort of control or setting in your plasma to allow it. It sounds like a timing problem with front and back porch settings of the built in processing of the scaler. A external Video processor would do the job but it will probably
too expensive unless you really want a great picture!

or call panasonic 1-800-211-PANA (7262)

Athanasios
post #929 of 1391 Old 07-27-2008, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc123 View Post

Okay, I've had the BH100 for a bit. It's been great, except for one thing it doesn't project 1080P picture only 1080i. I know for a fact my TV is a 1080P T.V. However I can't scrounge the model number it's one of the Panasonic Viera TH- series (which is a plasma) now I can get it to be set to 1080P, but it is to the right hand corner of the screen, as in only 1/2 to 3/4ths of the T.V. is covered, I heard that on Plasmas the BH100 doesn't project 1080P is this true and is there a work around?

The Bh100 does send A 1080p rez but only "1080@24p" the BH100 cant send 1080p@60hz so if the Fixed panel display does not support A 1080@24p input the BH100 will only send 1080@60hz. So by the sound of your above post your Panasonic plasma does'nt except A 1080 24p format....
post #930 of 1391 Old 07-27-2008, 01:25 AM

Hi, I've had a BH100 for a while. It wouldn't play die hard 4 so I updated the drivers once with the latest drivers right after Christmans when I got Live Free or Die Hard and it wouldn't play. it worked fine. Now though, I'm having another problem (and have no idea if it is related to updates or what). My BH100 will play Blu-Ray movies and HD DVD's as it is supposed to. However, it will NOT play standard DVDs. When I put a DVD in the tray and hit play it will spin it like it is trying to scan the disc, but not move beyond this point. eventually, it says disc error and ejects the disc. I thought, hey this is a rental maybe it's a bad disc. But it started to do this to every disc, new and old and personally owned ones that had not a flaw on the disc. I would try to update but of course, I don't have the proper burning software to make the proper iso files or whatnot. anyone have any recommendations? either on how to get my player to play standard DVD movies or a good, (preferably cheap or free) burning software that can make the proper iso dvds needed to update? it kind of irks me that here I have this expensive player that supposedly plays everything, yet can only play the more advanced movies, not the less advanced, and have to watch my movies on my xbox 360 using a controller that shuts off every 20 minutes to watch most of my collection. If the solution to my problem is somewhere in this thread that someone knows, can you link me? I don't have time right now to sift through thirty pages of thread, Thanks.
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page