*** The LG BH100 HD Super Multi Blue Player *** official owner's thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just called LG customer service and asked about the new firmware. They said they do have it, and he asked me which movies hadn't been working. Alien vs Predator: Requiem and Death Race are two blu-ray movies I've seen where the audio is poppy, then the movie freezes up. So he got that info, and my phone# and address and the firmware is being sent out to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Just got the Roy Orbison Blu-ray and the soundtrack keeps getting "crackly" at times when using the analog outputs (DTS HD or 2-channel PCM); I haven't tried using the optical output yet. It's looking more and more like a new player is needed.

OTOH, Wouldn't every other player on the market have the same firmware update issues because of Fox's $%#&#*^@ lame attempts at "updating" their "digital management" BD+ crap ?!

BLU RAY - 53+PE (if your quantity is zero, you are missing out on too many movies)
HD DVD - 10 (if your quantity is zero, you are still missing out).
Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Oscar, I'm still waiting for the latest disc from LG. I will post here when I get it, and if it is indeed newer than the current update from last June on LG's web site.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Oscar, I'm still waiting for the latest disc from LG. I will post here when I get it, and if it is indeed newer than the current update from last June on LG's web site.

My assumption is that it is newer than the June update, isnt it?
Old 01-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

AVP Requiem and Death Race both have had glitchy/poppy sound on the BH100 for me. They both have DTS master audio. has anyone else heard this on their BH100?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 AM

i just got lg's corporate phone number, lets bombard them with calls: 256-772-0623
Old 01-17-2009, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just read this on a thread....read the last post.

http://www.blu-ray.com/firmware/firmware.php?id=17

Someone tried the BH200 firmware on his BH100 and it appeared to work and sort out the new discs. I guess for those brave enough to try might not be bad idea.

He says it even brought the Ethernet to life ! If indeed this firmware does work on the BH100 then it breathes new life into the machine no ?

The old RMTM discs for the BH200 for example seem to work on the BH100 so there is some plausibility to this.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

I don't buy it. They don't even have the same chipset.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:28 PM

I guess the BH100 will simply just spit out the disc if it didn't like it then. Might be worth a try....for the brave.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:35 PM

The other thing is the firmware that modifies the BH200 into SD multi-region works on the BH100 as well.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
it might work, i dont think the HDCP stuff is on the broadcom or Marvel chip set's. i think all of programing stuff is on some FPGA that works in conjuction with the main Video processing chips. It is a gutsy move to try it, and it might work. The LGBh100 has a secong Chip not in use, may said this chip might be for the hD interactive stuff and was disabled by LG when thye did not get the license for HD DVD, so it is possible that
the extra chip also controls the LAN and other aspects of the Player. I might be adventurous and try it. Hmmm Maybe Samsung master would no more, and it could be manufacture date sensitive.

Athansios
Old 01-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Well if someone wants to try it, let us know what happens. It would be nice to have HDi working.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have any internal pics of the BH200? Does it use the same drive? Cause the BH100 uses a real SATA drive. I'm guessing the biggest difference between the two is the drive.

I have a bunch of pics here: http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q...0N08&ss=2&ct=6
Old 01-18-2009, 08:08 AM

I just tried to run the DVD with the BH200 updated. Mine unit said "disc error" and spat it out. so no HDi, no DTS HD, no BluRay multiregion along with the DVDs. Other then that works just fine. regs
Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, if Handawg on the Blu Ray forum is not a hoax then there must be something he did, maybe not knowing, to have it work.

I remember there was a short discussion here about that second chip being activated for at least HDi and samsung master "hinted" that it could be done if some one "knew where to look" So maybe there is a sequence that has to be done, Handog said he tried the three BH100 discs that LG sent them and they did not work, maybe he was wrong and one did work or did something to free up the firmware update mode to allow the BH200 disc to work when he tried that later?
I joined that forum and posted for more details and also sent him an E-mail from that forum. I wonder if the handawg is real or just an enigma.

I may try the update too and just get another cheap BH100 from eBay and keep it for a second mother board and parts.

Athanasios
Old 01-18-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I wish there were Schematics for these machines available. Id like to see the programable chips used, if they are the same between both machines I be tit be easy to get an Eprom reader writer and copy the chip from the bh200 and put it on new chip then put that chip into the Bh100. I bet thats all it is and once the BH100 Eprom gets zaped with the info for the BH200 it basically will become that machine. But since the BH200 has not Analog audio outs i wonder if the BH100 will then looser the analog out capabilities. This is definitely something i wish the more tech and programing guys here would try. I always wanted to get one of those Eprom reader writers for some other things i read about.

Athanasios
Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM

has anyone been on lg's site for software updates recently it seems to have changed, I think. Someone check it out and tell me if I am seeing things.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM

Well, I might be doing somethnig wrong. My BH100 is running on the latest firmware (SW Ver: BH01080624A/PKG114), so I've just downloaded the BH200 software packs (both the US and intenational versions) and according to the LG manual created data DVD (for the 100 update it must have been ISO image - I think it is a different type of disc). And mine bh100 spat it out . But I like it anyway... regs
Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theedge33 View Post

has anyone been on lg's site for software updates recently it seems to have changed, I think. Someone check it out and tell me if I am seeing things.

Yes, it looks like it's changed. But I can no longer make heads or tales of the updates. It looks like they changed the numbers. So if they're new, I don't know which one to D/L and use.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded the first one on the list and its the old 08' update

Nothing New but they did change the look so maybe something new is upcoming?

Athanasios
\\
PS: I also found the Schematics for 10 bucks, its a djvu file. I will upload it to my hosting site for down load.
It has a nice block diagram for trouble shooting and also has the waveforms to look for with a scope and the points to probe.
Also it does look like there is a separate FGPA that gets programed, looks like ti does have to go through the Broadcom chip(s), Then it goes tot he RJ45 jack. So that Handawg might have got it to work some how. They also talk about the Eprom menu but do not give what letters or numbers to use or what setting they are for. I need to look though it better.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

here is the link to the LG BH100 Service manual, if some one can use this to firgure out how to flash the Eprom to use the BH200 Frimwear or enable the second Broadcom chip it be great!!!

BH100 Service manual Download page

Athanasios
Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok here is my theory on the post above about the guy who got the BH200 Firmware to work on his BH100 and why Robert007, BH200 Disc did not work.

Some BH100's have the two Broadcom chips and some have one. it depends on when it was made. You also may find out by the RJ45 jack on the back some say service others say ethernet. I think that Handawg has an early unit with the two chips and Robert007 may have the single chip unit, and thats why his did not work.

here is a conversation bradavon had with an LG employee:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I've been chatting with an LG employee over PM and here is what they've said. It mixes between the BH100 and BH200:

Quote:

LG Employee: Some people may be able to unlock a lot more since the BH100's made dec06~april06 contain to broadcom IC's. I think it was May07 they took the extra one off the board. Anyway the BH100's that have 2, one of them is disabled. And the one that is disabled what does it do? Maybe a little something to do with HD.

Bradavon: are you abbreviating HD-DVD to HD and mean HDi was included but disabled?

Any idea why kit sold in The Americas has PAL disabled by default? Sure I know nothing in The America is in PAL but it still seems odd when it's so easy to enable/disable it. Why not just leave it enabled?

Lastly, is there any way to do any long term damage by altering any of the values in the EEPROM menu? Presumably you can always put it back to defaults? I just don't want to go bricking a BH200 by tinkering too much.

LG Employee: PAL is just disabled since it is sold in North America. It is easier to just disable it via the menu, remember these are made on an assembly line so when they are making them for a certain region they just change the options in the menu for that run of units.

No long term damage, this is how it is done in the factory.

I guess I should put a word of caution about changing the menu numbers. There is a chance of bricking a unit. I do not have a list of numbers that will do this so just a word of caution for everyone. For people who have the ability to return the unit to a store for exchange, no fears change the menu to whatever you like and see what happens.

For legal reasons the extra IC was disabled. This was the only way the BH100 could be sold. You may thank the battle between bluray and HD for that one. Neither one of them wanted a player that could do both. Of course differences were worked out so to speak and the BH200 was able to do HDi.

The "service port" on the back of the BH100 is not for service. It was just called a service port again for legal reasons. In reality it is an ethernet port. You normally do not see service ports with link lights. A few Dec07 units do say ethernet instead of service, if anyone has one of these, a collectors item

Bradavon: Any idea what Julio Cohen has done here to achieve SD DVD MR? - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1010650

It's been confirmed this hack doesn't alter the values in the EEPROM menu.

LG Employee: Now what Julio did looks like a region code hack program. You can download these just do a google search. I am not sure if he modified an existing hack program so it would work with the BH200 or if he just took an existing program and just used it and it worked. Either way like I was saying before I am quite surprised nobody has done this sooner.

Man if we could find the original programing to enable the second broadcom chip........... I alway wanted to hook up the ethernet port to my router and see if it was visible. But with out the software enabled in the unit it wont help much, maybe we can send emails asking LG to now enable the second chip and the ethernet port for those who have these units. I knbow they most likly wont but its worth a shot.

Athanasios

So Robert007 can you check your manufacture date? and the RJ45 jack.

Athanasios
Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

My build date is Feb 2007. And the port says Service. So mine is past the target date.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 AM

I swapped out the RGB from the bluray to the switch. I rebooted the switch per Key Digital. I rebooted the tv per Sharp. I also swapped dvd and sat going into the switch. The customer then called and said he was having the same issue (sound, no pic) from satellite and no longer dvd. We then swapped out the switch for a new one, rebooted it, put the inputs back to the original configuration, and he just called to say that dvds are cutting out again. It seems to happen more frequently and last for a shorter time however, Any thoughts? I can't think it could be anything else. I may have to try a Gefen switcher instead.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Jay:

Since this player is a dual format player, it's located a different forum. Here is the master thread for that player. We ask that you post in each player's master thread when asking questions or posting comments. I've merged your thread with this master thread.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok I just did the latest up date on my BH200, worked. then i tried it on my BH100 as Handawg did who said it worked, nope , disc just opened the drawer.

So I think its a hoax. But i still think if soemone who is a programer may find a way to activate the secong chip, i bet that has the ethernet availability in it.

Athanasios
Old 01-20-2009, 11:59 AM

i was able some months ago to enable the ethernet port of my bh100.
internally its a full working ethernet port, not only for service. LG just
don't assign a IP address to the interface during the boot process, so
its not visible in the network. after setting this address its possible to log into the box.

bh200 update on the bh100:
i think its a hoax too, the update firmware files for both machines are somethat different...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoN View Post

i was able some months ago to enable the ethernet port of my bh100.
internally its a full working ethernet port, not only for service. LG just
don't assign a IP address to the interface during the boot process, so
its not visible in the network. after setting this address its possible to log into the box.

bh200 update on the bh100:
i think its a hoax too, the update firmware files for both machines are somethat different...

Can you PM the detailed Instructions?
And are you able to then download the firmwear this way and are there any new menues available from this activation of the etherent?

Athanasios
Old 01-20-2009, 12:48 PM

I received a call today from LG, and the message they left on my machine stated that they are in the process of creating the new firmware update, and it would be mailed to me when they were finished. I will keep everyone updated...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I would love for them to activate the Ethernet port and add downloadability for the updates and use of the other chip too!
I called about 10 days ago for the BH200 and BH100 updates and neither have come yet.

Athanasios