AVS Forum banner

*** The LG BH100 HD Super Multi Blue Player *** official owner's thread

318K views 1K replies 249 participants last post by  chrisdk23 
#1 ·
I figured this should be placed here in the general section, seeing as it plays both discs.

So, has anyone pulled the trigger on this puppy yet? Lets get the reviews and discussion started from owners and users.

Please keep this thread isolated to reports of the new LG BH100 HD Super Multi Blue Player only. Questions and comments related to those reports are fine, but find a different thread if discussions head into off-topic territory.

#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 /forum/post/0

I have a pretty good understanding of video specifications, but all of this audio-talk is new to me. Would someone mind answering a few questions:

1. What is the BEST audio connection for this unit? I have a Denon 3806 and can run either HDMI (switched to Bitstream for 5.1?) -OR- HDMI for video and analog for sound.

Does your Denon decode DD+, DTS-HD or DTS-MA? Best bet would be analog.

Quote:

2. Using the BEST audio connection - what are the best modes will I get?

See #1.
Quote:

3. I see that Denon receivers have a "known issue" with this device- if I use HDMI through my Denon 3806, what issues can I expect?

See #1.
Quote:

4. Has anyone done a comparison of SD upconversion with the Toshibas or other BR players?
We do have mixed feelings about the player's ability to upconvert the DVD signals. Of over 10 DVDs we threw at it, we found the upconverted pictures varied from disc to disc. The worst being Finding Nemo on the scene where Nemo was going to school. Posterization was rampant. The best upconverted pictures were from Star Wars: Attack of the Clone. However, we have to say that the quality of upconversion paled in comparison to the recent demos we witnessed at CES.
http://gadgetaholic.com/content/view/33/1/

Quote:

5. How does HD & BR video compare?

It depends on the movie. There were some poorly transferred movies to BluRay early on (most likely because of the 25GB limit on single layer discs and MPEG2), but it looks as though everything now is on 50GB and the HD & BR quality appears to be on par.

Quote:

This will hopefully make my decision on this unit vs. two better standalone units.

The only better stand alone unit out there is the Panasonic BluRay w/7 analog outputs and the Toshiba's do better SD-DVD upconversion. Add in the cost of extra cables for the a second unit (~$50) and this unit at under $1,100 (cheaper than the Panasonic) is a bargain.

#103 ·
please advise if anyone has experienced the following:

- attempting to play standard DVDs (i've tried 4 titles), bottom half of picture is cut off & scaling is way out of synch on what you can make out on the top half

- hd dvd movies haphazardly freeze picture + audio

- moving between scene selections on hd dvd, the audio emits a loud "squelch" when a chapter initializes

are there any firmware upgrades avail yet?

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia039 /forum/post/0

does anyone know what HDMI connection this player requries to get 1080p. I tried it on the sony v250 and the samusng 40" 1080p lcds and nothing but it worked on the 1080p elite. Thoughts.

Just being a 1080p display is not enough.

The display must support 1080p/24.

Only about 10% of the 1080p displays do that. The rest all do

1080p/60, which the player does not support.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goods1010 /forum/post/0

please advise if anyone has experienced the following:

- attempting to play standard DVDs (i've tried 4 titles), bottom half of picture is cut off & scaling is way out of synch on what you can make out on the top half

- hd dvd movies haphazardly freeze picture + audio

- moving between scene selections on hd dvd, the audio emits a loud "squelch" when a chapter initializes

are there any firmware upgrades avail yet?

I have not seen any of these but I was watching King Kong on HD DVD and pressed Pause 2/3 of the way through the movie and when I pressed Play it did not resume playing but just stayed frozen. I had to power off the LG and start the movie again. But I was able to enter the exact time 02:23:54 and resume watching from there.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz /forum/post/0

Just being a 1080p display is not enough.

The display must support 1080p/24.

Only about 10% of the 1080p displays do that. The rest all do

1080p/60, which the player does not support.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. Would have thought that they would have made it a bit more flexible since it won't be compatible with 90% of the displays out there and most people like to see their display say 1080p when they shell out the money for it.

#108 ·

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. Would have thought that they would have made it a bit more flexible since it won't be compatible with 90% of the displays out there and most people like to see their display say 1080p when they shell out the money for it.

I guess LOGIC does not rule at LG!

#109 ·

Quote:

It's 100% compatible with all displays. It doesn't make any difference if your player or tv does the deinterlacing (unless you have a poor quality HDTV).

#110 ·
All this talk about 1080p (unless its 1080/24p) reminds me of the movie Tommy Boy, when he was trying to get the store owner to switch brake pads. I modified the quotes to fit the 1080p argument.

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a 1080P sticker on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
Ted: I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a 1080P sticker on the box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the 1080P Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
Ted: What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the 1080P Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted: But why do they put a 1080P sticker on the box then?
Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a 1080P piece of ****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it 1080P? I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.
Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well I... What?

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater /forum/post/0

It's 100% compatible with all displays. It doesn't make any difference if your player or tv does the deinterlacing (unless you have a poor quality HDTV).

All of the lcds and pdps said 1080p compliant. the v250 from sony and a samsung lcd would get the player to go to the 1080p setting. the $8000 elite pdp did get 1080p but I am unsure why.

#112 ·

Quote:

All this talk about 1080p (unless its 1080/24p) reminds me of the movie Tommy Boy, when he was trying to get the store owner to switch brake pads. I modified the quotes to fit the 1080p argument.

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a 1080P sticker on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a 1080P sticker on the box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the 1080P Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the 1080P Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a 1080P piece of ****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it 1080P? I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.

I like the analogy. Funny. I think I will watch that tonight.

#113 ·

Quote:

Next you'll tell us that "HDMIs don't shake hands, HDMIs gotta hug"

#114 ·

Quote:

All of the lcds and pdps said 1080p compliant. the v250 from sony and a samsung lcd would get the player to go to the 1080p setting. the $8000 elite pdp did get 1080p but I am unsure why.

Because the FHD1 accepts 1080p/24, which very few do. The FHD1 then displays that signal as 1080p/72.

Other non-180p24 displays cannot accept this signal. With these displays you must change over the LG to 1080i. Most panels will then upconvert to 1080p.

#115 ·

Quote:

Because the FHD1 accepts 1080p/24, which very few do. The FHD1 then displays that signal as 1080p/72.

Other non-180p24 displays cannot accept this signal. With these displays you must change over the LG to 1080i. Most panels will then upconvert to 1080p.

Then why buy a 1080p player when you can get a 1080i player for half that and let the display upconvert it?

#116 ·

Quote:

Then why buy a 1080p player when you can get a 1080i player for half that and let the display upconvert it?

There are many on AVS here who will tell you 1080i and 1080p

are the same. That is TRUE and NOT TRUE.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9755102

It is True for those who have low-end displays and can't tell the

difference.

It is NOT TRUE for those who have high-end Displays or Projectors

-- WHO CAN SEE the DIFFERENCE on 12 ft. Screens.

Who says SIZE DOES NOT MATTER [GRIN]?

#117 ·

Quote:

This a common mistake, 1080i to 1080p is not "upconverting" it is essentailly the same signal. Its just a difference on how it is "painted on the display" Either every other line every 30th of a second or painted progressivly across the screen continually side to side back and forth like a computer monitor. So in reality it doesnt matter if the player is doing the deinterlacing or the display. Only the quality of the deinterlacing is at question. Also, regular upscaling players are working with only 480i signals not 1080 like blu-ray and HD-DVD so even if it "upconvets" it cant create extra information out of nothing to create 1080 source. I believe the first Toshiba HD DVD players for some reason interlaced the 1080p signal internaly then output it and let the display do the deinterlacing, i cant remember excactly so if someone knows how it is done correct me.

Athansios

Love this new CRT addiction i have!

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/0

This a common mistake, 1080i to 1080p is not "upconverting" it is essentailly the same signal. Its just a difference on how it is "painted on the display" Either every other line every 30th of a second or painted progressivly across the screen continually side to side back and forth like a computer monitor.

Let me add one important addition for those who are not knowledgeable. Nashou66 is talking about 1080/60i versus its counterpart 1080/60p, he is not talking about the 1080/24p which is the native encoding on BluRay and HD-DVD discs.

#119 ·
Thanks for the added input Simple theater!

#120 ·
1080p60 or 1080i60 output from a 1080p24 source should end up the asme on an y progressive device as the entire 1080p24 stream is sent using both methods.

A cable sat or OTA 1080i60 can sometimes in early 1080p capable displays, be actually missued by bobing half the interlaced signal of 540 lines and doubling it to 1080p. without properly weaving the interlaced 1080i60 signal and displaying it as 1080p60.

Nut those sets that did that would get the full 1080p24 signal out of a Blu-ray or HD DVD disc asa bobing or weaving is not needed.

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty /forum/post/0

1080p60 or 1080i60 output from a 1080p24 source should end up the asme on an y progressive device as the entire 1080p24 stream is sent using both methods.

This only assumes the device sending the 1080/24p is doing proper IVTC/3:2/deinterlacing.
Quote:

A cable sat or OTA 1080i60 can sometimes in early 1080p capable displays, be actually missued by bobing half the interlaced signal of 540 lines and doubling it to 1080p. without properly weaving the interlaced 1080i60 signal and displaying it as 1080p60.

True.
Quote:

Nut those sets that did that would get the full 1080p24 signal out of a Blu-ray or HD DVD disc asa bobing or weaving is not needed.

What?

#122 ·
Based on what I have read here I want to establish a situation where this player works fine...................

1080i output for Blu-Ray and HD DVD over HDMI video out straight to the TV and use the optical output on the unit to send 5.1 over to your receiver? This works 100% correct?

Not trying to take away from 1080p and HDMI switching receivers but many of us would use the player as I described so it would be nice if some one will verify my configuration as a no problem situation.

Thankyou

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciondriver /forum/post/0

Based on what I have read here I want to establish a situation where this player works fine...................

1080i output for Blu-Ray and HD DVD over HDMI video out straight to the TV and use the optical output on the unit to send 5.1 over to your receiver? This works 100% correct?

Not trying to take away from 1080p and HDMI switching receivers but many of us would use the player as I described so it would be nice if some one will verify my configuration as a no problem situation.

Thankyou

Works fine in this configuration.

I just returned mine to COMP USA after 3 weeks of playing with the BH100.

For the most part the player was fine.

Cons:

Lockups on both BD and HD (these were rare)

No 1080p/60 support. (or planned support via firmware update) This was not a huge deal, but for $1200, 'cmon.

No next gen audio support via HDMI. Also not a big deal since I don't have an HDMI receiver yet.

Since I already own a 360 HD-DVD drive, I thought $1200 was a little steep to get Blu-ray capability. Since most BD only players are in the $1000 range, this might fit the bill for some people. For $1200, I would think that LG could address some of these bonehead design mistakes.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrder /forum/post/0

Works fine in this configuration.

I just returned mine to COMP USA after 3 weeks of playing with the BH100.

For the most part the player was fine.

Cons:

Lockups on both BD and HD (these were rare)

No 1080p/60 support. (or planned support via firmware update) This was not a huge deal, but for $1200, 'cmon.

No next gen audio support via HDMI. Also not a big deal since I don't have an HDMI receiver yet.

Since I already own a 360 HD-DVD drive, I thought $1200 was a little steep to get Blu-ray capability. Since most BD only players are in the $1000 range, this might fit the bill for some people. For $1200, I would think that LG could address some of these bonehead design mistakes.

I'm sure they will or some one else will do it better. Imagine the day when you pick up an Oppo Dual Player

What I expect to see is revisions of the firmware on this unit and a $499 price by next xmas. That would be great.

#125 ·

Quote:

I'm sure they will or some one else will do it better. Imagine the day when you pick up an Oppo Dual Player

What I expect to see is revisions of the firmware on this unit and a $499 price by next xmas. That would be great.

Funny you should mention Oppo , I should be recieving my Oppo DV-981HD today.

I've read nothing but good about this company. I wonder when they will jump into the HD market?

With BD hardware & software being so much more expensive than HD, I could care less if BD just died. So, for now it's either HD-DVD or DVD upconverted to to 1080p via the DV-981HD.
I'm holding off on BD for now....

I hope LG does release some updates for those that own the BH100, but it didn't sound good when I contacted them about it.

#126 ·

Quote:

No. Optical can't carry uncompressed 5.1 (or 7.1) PCM nor TrueHD. Therefore you'd be limited to 2 channel PCM or 5.1 DD or DTS (to be decoded by your receiver), and wouldn't have benefit of any lossless audio on the discs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.