*** The LG BH100 HD Super Multi Blue Player *** official owner's thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1391 Old 01-17-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured this should be placed here in the general section, seeing as it plays both discs.

So, has anyone pulled the trigger on this puppy yet? Lets get the reviews and discussion started from owners and users.

Please keep this thread isolated to reports of the new LG BH100 HD Super Multi Blue Player only. Questions and comments related to those reports are fine, but find a different thread if discussions head into off-topic territory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1391 Old 01-17-2007, 06:51 PM

It's available in some Compustores in Texas as of today (1/17) according to Cnet and Crave...Crave article
post #3 of 1391 Old 01-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

BestBuy is taking online orders now.
post #4 of 1391 Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 22
post #5 of 1391 Old 01-18-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Wow....this thing is out already? I'll certainly get one, but likely a 2nd-gen version. If they're still around.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #6 of 1391 Old 01-18-2007, 08:08 PM

Can someone PPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE explain to me what are the intercative features of both blueray and hddvd? I know everyone reading this probably knows the answer. I live in Brasil and I never saw a hddvd or blue ray in my life, but i may get the LG player when i travel to USA.....
post #7 of 1391 Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL View Post

Can someone PPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE explain to me what are the intercative features of both blueray and hddvd? I know everyone reading this probably knows the answer. I live in Brasil and I never saw a hddvd or blue ray in my life, but i may get the LG player when i travel to USA.....

For most HD DVD, "interactivity" means everything from the main menu of the disc, to advanced features such as turning on director's commentary, graphic overlays of storyboard, Picture in Picture, and even turning on subtitles and modifying audio settings. So a lot is at stake for a player which does not know how to properly read and interpret all of this data.

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #8 of 1391 Old 01-19-2007, 08:10 AM

and what about the dvd extras? are they all available in their blueray/hddvd cousins? are even the menus the same?
post #9 of 1391 Old 01-19-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
It would seem likly that LG will have a 2ed gen BH200 full HD-DVD compatable player before long. It just seems they had the LG BH100 will into production before the CES.
post #10 of 1391 Old 01-19-2007, 05:34 PM

My LG "combo" player arrived today. It arrived so quickly from BB none of the DVDs I order have arrived yet so I can't test out HD DVD or Blu-ray. I'll get a disc tomorrow. I have played SD DVDs and they look fine (HDMI 1080i). The Ethernet port is labeled "Service" and the manual states "Reserved for authorized service purposes" -- I plugged it into my LAN and it has signals.

There is no HD DVD logo to be found... just "HD DVD".
post #11 of 1391 Old 01-20-2007, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshome View Post

My LG "combo" player arrived today. It arrived so quickly from BB none of the DVDs I order have arrived yet so I can't test out HD DVD or Blu-ray. I'll get a disc tomorrow. I have played SD DVDs and they look fine (HDMI 1080i). The Ethernet port is labeled "Service" and the manual states "Reserved for authorized service purposes" -- I plugged it into my LAN and it has signals.

There is no HD DVD logo to be found... just "HD DVD".

What does the manual say about playing HD-DVD's?
post #12 of 1391 Old 01-20-2007, 06:56 AM

You can find the manual here:

http://us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

Click Owner's Manuals
Under model enter BH100

The manual does not say much about playing HD DVD or Blu-ray:

Using the HD DVD with iHD features
You can change title number, scene number, etc
using the HD DVD menu.
1. Press DISC MENU or TITLE during HD DVD
playback.
The menu will appear.
Note:
The above HD DVD menu is displayed only
when an HD DVD disc with iHD features is
playing.
2. Use the < / > buttons to select an option, then
press ENTER.
The sub options will appear.
Play / Pause - Starts playback / pauses
playback.
Title - Selects a title on a disc.
You cannot select a title whose number is
shown a gray color because the title is
recorded with black by contents providers.
It is normal.
Scene - Selects a scene in a title.
Subtitle - Selects a subtitle language.
Audio - Selects an audio language, for
playback only.
3. Use the < / > buttons to select a sub option,
then press ENTER to acknowledge the selection.
post #13 of 1391 Old 01-21-2007, 03:13 AM

Jeff,

You mentioned that "I have played SD DVDs and they look fine (HDMI 1080i)". How do they look compared to being played on a "normal" DVD player? I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not this unit will make normal DVDs look significantly better.

I'm sitting on the fence when it comes to buying one of these. I'm really waiting for the classics to come out in HD (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc...). If the BH100 improved the quality of my current collection, I'm might be swayed.
post #14 of 1391 Old 01-21-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Anyone want to crack open their player and take photos of the parts being used?

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #15 of 1391 Old 01-21-2007, 11:50 AM

Here are some screen shots of the BH100 and a SD DVD player (Sony DVP-NS700P). The main difference is in the black levels and a little sharper but the sharpness is probably due to going from component on the SD player to HDMI on the LG. The SD player was at 480p and the LG was at 1080i. The screen shots are from a 50" Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY.

The SD photos are first followed by the LG photos. The LG photos have the pause button in the frame.

post #16 of 1391 Old 01-21-2007, 11:52 AM

post #17 of 1391 Old 01-21-2007, 11:53 AM

post #18 of 1391 Old 01-21-2007, 11:53 AM

post #19 of 1391 Old 01-21-2007, 11:58 AM

The next photos are the menus for an HD DVD disc. These are from MI:3 and Batman Begins. There is no Disc Menu or Title Menu so it's hard to figure out what bonus features are present. But if you can find the right title and scene the bonus material will play. Disregard the color shift in the photos... it's just my camera.

post #20 of 1391 Old 01-21-2007, 11:58 AM

post #21 of 1391 Old 01-22-2007, 06:22 AM

After watching some SD DVD, Blu-ray and HD DVD movies on the LG "combo" player I can say all-in-all I'm pleased with the purchase.

Pros:

1. It does play back SD DVD, Blu-ray and HD DVD movies.

2. The picture quality of Blu-ray and HD DVD looks similar although I must say MI:3 on HD DVD looked awesome. I have not seen a 1:1 comparison yet as I don't have the same movie in both formats (I'll wait for Total HD). SD DVD looks good for SD. I went from 480p component to 1080i HDMI so that alone was an improvement. Mostly the black levels of the LG on SD DVD was better than my older (expensive at the time) SD DVD player.

3. Sound quality was okay. I listened to DTS and DD 5.1 via SPDIF.

4. Blu-ray and SD DVD menus work just fine.

5. Remote was easy to use but I learned the buttons into my Pronto and put the remote away.

6. Power up speed seemed fine as I have not used any other Blu-ray or HD DVD player. The time to play a disc also seemed fine although it is longer then my old SD DVD player. Menus are fast and response time for fast forward, rewind, pause etc. on Blu-ray and HD DVD is fast.

7. Buttons on top of the unit are cool. Yes they might be in an odd place for some but I like putting a disc in the tray and "touching" the eject button just above the tray. The buttons are touch sensitive so you don't have to push them. And they light up and beep as you glide a finger across them. Setup time was easy as the setup menu was relatively simple and was easy to use.

8. Front panel display is informative and easy to read (from close up). From far away it's easy to see the time and play mode.

9. 1080p was output but my plasma only handles 720p. Actually 1080i looked better especially the menus.

10. I did not have a lock up or skip with the movies I watched.

Cons:

1. High price but considering it's mainly a Blu-ray player it's not that much more to also be able to spin an HD DVD disc. I don't have room in my equipment cabinet for two players and I don't want to use two HDMI connectors just to be able to play both formats so it's a good compromise for me. Plus I lean towards Blu-ray anyway so I can now buy/rent Blu-ray movies and still play exclusive HD DVDs.

2. Non-existent HD DVD disc menus. The custom HD DVD menu is usable but not very friendly. If you can find bonus material you can still play it but since you have no idea what the bonus material is it's more of a "play each title/scene and see what it is". I'm not much of a bonus material person anyway so this does not bother me. I just want to watch the movie.

3. Lame support for newer audio codec's. True HD and DTS-HD output as 2 channel PCM over SPDIF. DTS and DD 5.1 worked fine.

4. LAN port has signals present but is not mentioned in the menus and the manual says it's only a "service port".

5. Does not play CDs.

Conclusion: "B+" and if a firmware update improves the audio output (True HD and DTS-HD) then "A". I'm glad to finally be able to watch HD movies and I think the format war was a dumb idea - didn't we learn anything from Beta vs. VHS and DVD+R vs. DVD-R? I will buy/rent Blu-ray discs and if a movie is only offered on HD DVD then I am covered.
post #22 of 1391 Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nice work and thanks for the effort. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Any comment on picture quality compared to other Blu Ray players or HD DVD players?

post #23 of 1391 Old 01-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

3. Lame support for newer audio codec's. True HD and DTS-HD output 2-channel PCM over SPDIF. DTS and DD 5.1 worked fine.

You do realize that that's not lame. 2.0 PCM is actually the maximum capacity that optical can do. What you have to know if what audio decoding is supported over HDMI for this player? HDMI can handle multichannel PCM/Dolby True/ DTS HD MA.

How do you go low? A SVS PB10-isd and a Cerwin Vega LW-15, that's how I go
Sony 60GB PS3 for Blu-ray Movies
post #24 of 1391 Old 01-22-2007, 12:40 PM

What I meant was True HD and DTS-HD is output in 2 channel PCM over SPDIF. So going from DD 5.1 channels to 2 channels does not produce very good surround sound. My receiver said the output was PCM and was using ProLogic II to handle the 2 channels. It did not sound good.
post #25 of 1391 Old 01-22-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

What I meant was True HD and DTS-HD is output in 2 channel PCM over SPDIF. So going from DD 5.1 channels to 2 channels does not produce very good surround sound. My receiver said the output was PCM and was using ProLogic II to handle the 2 channels. It did not sound good.

Again that's the maximum that SPDIF can handle, PCM 2.0. Do you have HDMI capable receiver? The player should be able to send multichannel TrueHD or DTS-MA over HDMI decoded to LPCM 5.1 or higher.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #26 of 1391 Old 01-22-2007, 05:24 PM

Here is a page from the printed manual which is not in the online manual:

post #27 of 1391 Old 01-23-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Here is a page from the printed manual which is not in the online manual:

Wow, no TrueHD on Analog outs? That sucks. The crippled iHD menu I might have lived with, but I want to hear TrueHD like I did at CES (they had a demo). The TrueHD downmix on my 360 sounds really good (better then DD) and I would to have it for real (yeah, I know I can by the Toshiba).
post #28 of 1391 Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Would it not have made more sense to render Dolby TrueHD as DD or DD+ or DD Lossless to provide 5.1ch via HDMI and analog 5.1ch outputs?
post #29 of 1391 Old 01-24-2007, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anybody know which chip this uses as a scaler?

post #30 of 1391 Old 01-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDVD View Post

Con's:

2) No ethernet for direct networking or updating. The RJ-45 is a service port only.
3) No 24P (at least for now)
4) Even though this is the first player with DTS-HD MA decoding internally, LG screwed the pooch as the HD decoding only decodes 2-channel over HDMI. Only the 5 analog outs decode 5.1 for HD. This should be an easy fix via firmware, but again, this is the biggest mistake I have seen on any of the players, as this was a bigger plus to me even than HD-DVD playback so I could enjoy Fox and MGM BDs with lossless compression over LPCM 5.1, but nope. I won't go back to analog out's when I have a preamp that can decode LPCM 5.1 over HDMI.
5) DD+ again is only 2-channel PCM over HDMI when set to PCM. It is decoded as DD legacy when set to bitstream. Plus must also be decode and sent to the analog outs to get 5.1.
6) DD True HD is also 2 channel PCM, and that does NOT change even on the analog outs. Again, as with plus and DTS-HD, this should be able to fixed just the A1 series was upgraded with a firmware upgrade.

This player could be great if it got a quick firmware update, but for now, I wouldn't buy it unless you have no use for advance audio codecs via HDMI LPCM. This lack of support is a generation back at least, and something I am personally extremely disappointed in.

Does anyone know LG's track record re: firmware upgrades for their products?

Hopefully, you will be able to burn an update to a DVD±r(w) (not a cd-r cuz it don't play 'em ).

I'd guess upgrading for outputting the Dolby TrueHD as 5.1 to the analog outs is possible since DD+ can do this.

Less likely that 1080/24p is an easy firmware upgrade. *** edit - I guess others have found it does output 1080p/24 ***

Does anyone know what kind of bass management this unit has for the analog 5.1 outs?
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page