Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 368 Old 01-31-2007, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken View Post

Only if it doesn't work correctly...and it doesn't!...There is no audio through HDMI. I can't believe it!...If you have an HDMI receiver (which I do) you cannot go through the receiver!...I can plug in to my projector direct, and get a great picture, but then I would have to use coaxial or optical for sound!...It simply will not even play through an HDMI receiver...I have 2 HDMI receivers and it will not play through either one!...I have swapped the unit out already but the other one is the same...wow!...BUMMER!!!!!!....NO HDMI AUDIO!...

I just got mine on saturday. Ordered online from Circuit City. I have it hooked up
to Panasonic 1080P 65" Plasma with HDMI. (no HDMI cable came with the unit.
Had to run out to radio shack and get one. Pain in the neck). Both video and audio come through HDMI. Have tested it with two Blu Ray discs and a standard DVD. Picture and audio is very good. I am very happy with it so far. The only thing I can compare it to is my McIntosh MVP 851 hooked up to a 768P NEC 61" plasma with component and analog audio through a McIntosh MX 134. There is a huge difference in picture quality. Much sharper. 1080P at 65" is noticeably different than a 1080i satellite, cable or OTA video picture. Audio is good. but I cannot really
compare because I do not have it hooked up to a 5.1 system. I am waiting for
the new Denon receivers to come out. It is hooked up to a 20 year old 2.0
McIntosh system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 368 Old 01-31-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDeffJeff View Post

I think chucken may have gotten booted for a while. Someone baited him and he bit. I have this player. I'm still in shock myself that it doesn't play audio period through the hdmi port------Not on any format. It does have the ability to set to LPCM or bitstream-----but yes, you do get the same results on HD material----- (optical or coaxial)----- If you look at that chart it seems that you should be able to get audio through hdmi when set to bitstream, but it doesn't work. You can set your amp to hdmi passthrough and use coaxial, optical, or analog, but the minute you switch the amp back from hdmi passthrough to "amp" well the picture freezes and no picture or sound will come through the hdmi. Hope "that" clears things up a bit.

My player plays audio through the HDMI port.
post #93 of 368 Old 01-31-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndpr View Post

My player plays audio through the HDMI port.

This unit does not play audio through the HDMI port----I thought something was wrong so I took it back to BB and they tried hooking it up to HDMI and NO GO. We even tried another unit and no audio through HDMI-----I have hooked up 5 different BLU-RAY machines to the same PIONEER RECEIVER and they all played perfectly----I hooked the LG up the same way and no audio----actually unless I did "passthru" I couldn't even get a picture.---Trust me folks, this unit doesn't play audio through HDMI.
post #94 of 368 Old 01-31-2007, 03:50 PM
BCH

You may have to change HDMI to PCM depending on the many different scenarios you can have, but the unit definately plays 5.1 through HDMI. It is playing 5.1 not only going thru a Vantage but then on to a Halcro processor.
post #95 of 368 Old 02-01-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:

This unit does not play audio through the HDMI port----I thought something was wrong so I took it back to BB and they tried hooking it up to HDMI and NO GO. We even tried another unit and no audio through HDMI-----I have hooked up 5 different BLU-RAY machines to the same PIONEER RECEIVER and they all played perfectly----I hooked the LG up the same way and no audio----actually unless I did "passthru" I couldn't even get a picture.---Trust me folks, this unit doesn't play audio through HDMI.

The unit definitely plays audio through HDMI. My unit is playing audio. I have no
other cables hooked up other than HDMI.
post #96 of 368 Old 02-01-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCH View Post

You may have to change HDMI to PCM depending on the many different scenarios you can have, but the unit definately plays 5.1 through HDMI. It is playing 5.1 not only going thru a Vantage but then on to a Halcro processor.

I tried every scenero in the set up menu---PCM, Bitstream, etc----NO AUDIO through HDMI---Could not get audio to work through HDMI. Had to hook the HDMI cable directly to my TV and use optical to get sound. The same with the second unit.
post #97 of 368 Old 02-01-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I tried every scenero in the set up menu---PCM, Bitstream, etc----NO AUDIO through HDMI---Could not get audio to work through HDMI. Had to hook the HDMI cable directly to my TV and use optical to get sound. The same with the second unit.

You must have a bad player. I do not have any other cable except HDMI and I
am getting audio.
post #98 of 368 Old 02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Where can I buy one of these online other than Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.?
post #99 of 368 Old 02-01-2007, 05:59 PM

No 1080p output? My BH100 is working well with HDMI video to my panasonic 1080p plasma tv and optical audio to my receiver. The BH100 display option list will not let me select 1080p. It will only allow 1080i to be selected. Any thoughts?
post #100 of 368 Old 02-01-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
maybe the hdcp "hand shake" didnt make a good conection. try to unplug the hdmi cable from the player then plug it back in. might help.
post #101 of 368 Old 02-02-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndpr View Post

You must have a bad player. I do not have any other cable except HDMI and I
am getting audio.

You have yours hooked to a plasma tv and you are only getting 2 channel.----- If you hook it to a HDMI receiver you cannot get 5.1 sound. That is what we are talking about.
post #102 of 368 Old 02-02-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

No one knows of a good online retailer?
post #103 of 368 Old 02-02-2007, 11:44 AM

are there any blu ray or hd-dvd players that output 1080p/60 (that most plasma tv's can input). if not what good is having a 1080p tv?
post #104 of 368 Old 02-02-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Hideffjeff, what reciever are you using?model number and version of hdmi?
post #105 of 368 Old 02-02-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Hideffjeff, what reciever are you using?model number and version of hdmi?

I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXsi---1.2 HDMI---The LG player will not play through it. All other Blu-Ray/HD-DVD players do. I don't care what "anyone" says on here----The LG will "not" play 5.1 DD through HDMI.
post #106 of 368 Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 PM

Here is a review from another forum...I also bought this player and returned it due to no 5.1 HDMI capability.

"LG is deceptive selling this player. It is not a real HD DVD player as claimed - it does not support HDi which is one of the biggest and coolest features of HD DVD that is used virtually everywhere down to the most basic menus most of the interactive features and lots of extras found on highdef discs will be inaccessible with this player. In addition, the player only appears to decode 2ch of audio over HDMI, meaning that you can't use the highest quality digital audio interconnect with this player either.

In other words, its really only an overpriced, mediocre Blu-Ray player with severely crippled unofficial HD DVD playback (LG was forced to remove the official HD DVD logo as the player does not even meet HD DVD spec). Definitely *NOT* worth the pricetag. Pick yourself up a Toshiba HD-A2 instead!"
post #107 of 368 Old 02-03-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does this "only 2ch of audio over HDMI" problem apply to both HD-DVD and BD or just HD-DVD?
post #108 of 368 Old 02-03-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Does this "only 2ch of audio over HDMI" problem apply to both HD-DVD and BD or just HD-DVD?

Both....but to tell you the truth, I couldn't get mine to play even 2 channel through HDMI ...If I hooked up the LG player to my Pioneer, I got no Picture and no sound. But if I used "pass-through" on the receiver, I could get just the picture.
post #109 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

HDMI is awesome, one wire for audio and video----couldn't be sweeter!.

Sorry about replying to a week old post, but "one wire for audio & video" works in very few circumstances. My scaler accepts tons of HDMI/component/s-video inputs, but it's not an amplifier. I'd have to send HDMI to my scaler, then run ANOTHER HDMI cable to my amp (thus two cables) to get any product to work.

Even people who do everything with their A/V receiver need to run one HDMI cable from the DVD player and one to their television - essentially splitting the signal.

HDMI works best with a simple setup of a DVD player directly connected to a television - one cable does it all. Throw in an amp and speakers and you need two HDMI cables. The biggest advantage of HDMI is that it is capable of passing the new HD audio formats - which optical can not, but which can be done via analog. Since the digital signal has to be converted to analog at some point - this LG unit looks like a solution to my hi-def player. If it just had 7 channel analog outputs I'd own one today, but now I'm between the Panasonic BluRay and this unit.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #110 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

the lossless audio over the analog sound awsome! i have it hooked up to my adcom 830. i also have it conected with the coax and the analog sounds better!

And the video is excelent! Even over the component outs to my marquee 8000 Projector. so what if the hdmi isnt working now. i'm sure a future firmware will alleviate it in the future. and for the HDi stuff, I only watch movies, i dont have time in my busy schedual to play with the extra features never di witht he regualr dvds why start now! Audition it in your own home and then make a decision. i might actually get another one for my every day viewing TV !

Athansios

Love this new crt addiction!
post #111 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

Sorry about replying to a week old post, but "one wire for audio & video" works in very few circumstances. My scaler accepts tons of HDMI/component/s-video inputs, but it's not an amplifier. I'd have to send HDMI to my scaler, then run ANOTHER HDMI cable to my amp (thus two cables) to get any product to work.

Even people who do everything with their A/V receiver need to run one HDMI cable from the DVD player and one to their television - essentially splitting the signal.

HDMI works best with a simple setup of a DVD player directly connected to a television - one cable does it all. Throw in an amp and speakers and you need two HDMI cables. The biggest advantage of HDMI is that it is capable of passing the new HD audio formats - which optical can not, but which can be done via analog. Since the digital signal has to be converted to analog at some point - this LG unit looks like a solution to my hi-def player. If it just had 7 channel analog outputs I'd own one today, but now I'm between the Panasonic BluRay and this unit.

You need to buy a receiver with 3 or 4 HDMI inputs and one output-----That's what I have. It works great!----This is the way things are going with A/V. Receivers with HDMI are awesome. 1 wire for both!----Simply the best----
post #112 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Audio receivers do not have any controls for adjusting video levels. What happens when the black levels don't match between two sources and they share the same input on the display?

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #113 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry928 View Post

Audio receivers do not have any controls for adjusting video levels. What happens when the black levels don't match between two sources and they share the same input on the display?

That's a silly question----You don't have any control when you use a switcher or a cable either---I am quite happy with the way my 4 sources show up on my projector. My HDMI receiver has a scaler built in but even without it my projector shows the approximate same black on all sources, and 2 of my sources are adjustable. HDMI for audio and video is the way to go. If you are really that worried about matching blacks there are HDMI scalers with multiple inputs that can calibrate your individual sources and send them to your projector the way you want them.
post #114 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I do prefer a scaler over a receiver so I can adjust the video levels independantly between sources. The hdmi audio is too buggy for me at this time so I will stick to analog until more companies are able to perfect this connection.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #115 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry928 View Post

Yes I do prefer a scaler over a receiver so I can adjust the video levels independantly between sources. The hdmi audio is too buggy for me at this time so I will stick to analog until more companies are able to perfect this connection.

Ditto ! Thats why Outlaw audio and Lumagen(two great companies) preffer dvi over hdmi. better video and stick with audio via spdif or analog outs. hdmi still isnt perfected. Maybe by version 5.9 they'll have it right ! ;-)
post #116 of 368 Old 02-06-2007, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need to buy a receiver with 3 or 4 HDMI inputs and one output-----That's what I have. It works great!----This is the way things are going with A/V. Receivers with HDMI are awesome. 1 wire for both!----Simply the best----

Unfortunately your setup is already obsolete. Without HDMI 1.3 you now can't sent the new hi def audio formats to your receiver. So you first have to send the output via PCM to your receiver, but if you have an existing receiver there is no way it can decode the DTS-HD or DD+.

Using the analog outputs, the only thing you need is a new player and keep your existing A/V receiver.

Now I'm still running analog 1.0 cables, so maybe when 1.1 cables are introduced I'll be in the same boat as the HDMI guys.

post #117 of 368 Old 02-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

So, after reading all the posts, I'm getting the impression that this player, assuming you use the HDMI only for video, and the analog 6 channel out for audio, isn't too bad?

I've got a Pioneer Elite VSX-74txvi and can utilize I-link for DVD-A and SACD, so I have an open mulit-in.

Is there any negative from a sound quality standpoint to just using the 6-ch in on the LG to decode all the advanced formats?
post #118 of 368 Old 02-06-2007, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

So, after reading all the posts, I'm getting the impression that this player, assuming you use the HDMI only for video, and the analog 6 channel out for audio, isn't too bad?

And for just over a grand, it's a bargain to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

Is there any negative from a sound quality standpoint to just using the 6-ch in on the LG to decode all the advanced formats?

When you say 6 ch in, I'm assuming you mean 5.1 - and the only negative from using analog would be if your Pioneer Elite VSX-74txvi was so damn good at analog conversion that you would never use a $1,000 piece of equipment to do DAC - even for standard DTS/DD.

If you're willing to let another component do the DAC, then the only negative would be you need 6 more wires - rather than just an HDMI cable.

post #119 of 368 Old 02-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

^^Thanks for the info. Yes, I mean 5.1.

Good to hear. While this player might not be perfect for everyone, it might be just the thing for others of us.
post #120 of 368 Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

As I said in an earlier post The Analog 5.1 outs to my Adcom 830 Preamp sound is great, especially if the disc has lossless or uncompressed PCM . It seems the DA's in the BH100 are of good quality and actually sounds better than the 5.1 bitstream out to the digital inputs of my preamp. So to answer your question..YES, sound quality of the internal decoders for the uncompressed pcm is outstanding! IMO.

Athanasios
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page