LG BH100 Quick Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bwclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Redwood Empire
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Where is the new Forum Multi-Format Players/Software?
bwclark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I was thinking the same thing. Keeping track of any one single format player is tough. Now we get posts in both forums for this player.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #33 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Member
 
compson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSKTexas View Post

I don't post very often, but I like to read many of the post here and let me say I see you posting quite often. It amazes me the time you take to negate Toshiba's product. I've owned a A1 since Sept. and have NEVER had any of the problems you keep mentioning, and yet I don't take the time or feel the need to tell everyone about it every chance I get.

Same here with the player I bought in August. The suggestion that the Toshiba players are unreliable and "plagued" by problems is wrong. Some BR partisans are so desperate for some good news that they invent bad news about HD DVD.
compson is offline  
post #34 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Come on guys -- debating people's opinions is one thing, but let's not attack the people.
BillP is offline  
post #35 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sisko197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by compson View Post

Same here with the player I bought in August. The suggestion that the Toshiba players are unreliable and "plagued" by problems is wrong. Some BR partisans are so desperate for some good news that they invent bad news about HD DVD.

Because you have no trouble doesn't mean that others are the same. I know that my player likes to skip and it likes to turn on without opening the drive (despite it telling me the drive is open) and it likes to freeze. I've had an A1 since Day 1.

I love my HD-A1 otherwise and I'm afraid to take it back to BB for fear of getting a crap A2 like the ones I keep reading about (low LFE, etc.), but the truth is the A1 is flawed for a great many people and denying it or complaining that someone else mentions the well-known problems the A1 had, well that's silly.

The A1 was infamous for the skipping, audio losing sync problem. When a problem becomes as specific as that one and as talked about, you should know when to be happy yours works without it (if yours does) and not criticize others for pointing out that they weren't so lucky.

I too hope that someone releases HD DVD players that don't suffer from these problems that have cross from A1 all the way up to XA2 in some limited reports. But then the XA2 has its own fair share of problems, right?

Back to the LG, its deficiencies prevent it from being the bleeding edge buyer's friend (TrueHD, DTS HD limited to 2.0 over HDMI) and its price keeps it out of the range of anyone considering joining the format war. Even now, it's cheaper to buy one of each than buy this.

I think the LG's DOA.
Sisko197 is offline  
post #36 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sketcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 3,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

I think the LG's DOA.

I don't know if I agree.

It sounds to me like the problems are mainly audio. I think there are plenty of folks out there with a wad of cash in their pockets that wouldn't know DD+ from Dolby B. They may see this as the answer to that whole war issue they've been hearing so much about.

Just a thought.

It's January (typically slow) so we may have to wait a few months before we can have a real idea of how it's going to sell.
Sketcha is offline  
post #37 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,880
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

Because you have no trouble doesn't mean that others are the same. I know that my player likes to skip and it likes to turn on without opening the drive (despite it telling me the drive is open) and it likes to freeze. I've had an A1 since Day 1.

I love my HD-A1 otherwise and I'm afraid to take it back to BB for fear of getting a crap A2 like the ones I keep reading about (low LFE, etc.), but the truth is the A1 is flawed for a great many people and denying it or complaining that someone else mentions the well-known problems the A1 had, well that's silly.

The A1 was infamous for the skipping, audio losing sync problem. When a problem becomes as specific as that one and as talked about, you should know when to be happy yours works without it (if yours does) and not criticize others for pointing out that they weren't so lucky.

I too hope that someone releases HD DVD players that don't suffer from these problems that have cross from A1 all the way up to XA2 in some limited reports. But then the XA2 has its own fair share of problems, right?

Back to the LG, its deficiencies prevent it from being the bleeding edge buyer's friend (TrueHD, DTS HD limited to 2.0 over HDMI) and its price keeps it out of the range of anyone considering joining the format war. Even now, it's cheaper to buy one of each than buy this.

I think the LG's DOA.

Agreed. It is simple reality. Not all Toshibas but a number that cannot be ignored. Heck, read all the problem threads.

Let's stop the name calling.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #38 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,030
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSKTexas View Post

I don't post very often, but I like to read many of the post here and let me say I see you posting quite often. It amazes me the time you take to negate Toshiba's product. I've owned a A1 since Sept. and have NEVER had any of the problems you keep mentioning, and yet I don't take the time or feel the need to tell everyone about it every chance I get.

Yes, you've noticed that? To 'pretend' you're objective and then knock the Toshiba at any & every chance you get is actually pretty humorous. I always wonder why people like this go out of their way to contend they're 'objective' and then most everyone sees right through to the truth. A simple look at his signature tells you everything you need to know. Amazing stuff.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #39 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,880
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 139
It is no secret that I hope Blu Ray wins!

That said, I own HD DVD and totally dig the PQ and sound!

I have nothing against the HD DVD technology. It's excellent. I just prefer Blu Ray to win the war.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #40 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Barry928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I know this is like asking for everbody to help stop world hunger or wishing for world peace, but it would be nice to stick to the LG (unless comparing features) and refrain from the personal comments directed at other members. If you really feel a need to make a personal comment to somebody, please do so via PM.

larry

Needs repeating.

Does anyone have comments about the LG player?

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barry928 is offline  
post #41 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
himey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tampabay, FL
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How do you update the firmware on this player in the future?
himey is offline  
post #42 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sketcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 3,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

How do you update the firmware on this player in the future?

DVD-R?
Sketcha is offline  
post #43 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 PM
 
chuckken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry928 View Post

Needs repeating.

Does anyone have comments about the LG player?

Yes...I think if it were priced 300.00 less alot of folks would be buying the crap out of these...I personally feel that dual format will be the norm in 6 months and I'm half tempted to buy one myself just for sh1ts and giggles...
chuckken is offline  
post #44 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Perfectionist2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
And if Toshiba or Sony put out a player for $299 the format war would be over.
Perfectionist2 is offline  
post #45 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jwv651's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 5,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

It is no secret that I hope Blu Ray wins! I just prefer Blu Ray to win the war.

So then why do you post here and not in the Blu ray threads. Looking back on your posts it seems like you never post much in the BD threads...but here it is everyday.

Joe V.
jwv651 is offline  
post #46 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TrevorS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken View Post

Yes...I think if it were priced 300.00 less alot of folks would be buying the crap out of these...I personally feel that dual format will be the norm in 6 months and I'm half tempted to buy one myself just for sh1ts and giggles...

The player is best targeted towards BluRay enthusiasts who also want to be able to spin HD-DVD (HD_DVD exclusives?). Only $200 more and they have both formats convered (albeit with limitations on the HD-DVD side). I think LG will sell a boat load, probably more than any two of the other BR standalone products.
TrevorS is offline  
post #47 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
himey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tampabay, FL
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha View Post

DVD-R?

DUH. Brainfart on my part.
himey is offline  
post #48 of 53 Old 01-21-2007, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
homerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ramsey, MN
Posts: 4,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well it sounds like a good player for a first gen combo I'm sure in time all will be supported. Via a update.
If I get a combo ill wait till generation 3-4. As all the bugs should be gone and they will be cheeper buy then.
Until sad time my A1 works great just watched corpse bride. No issues. Amazing PQ...

But back to the LG. As far as it putting in its own menus on HDDVD are you say that the cool little pop up menu is gone in favor of a bland automatic one. The little pop up in movie menus are cool corpse brides was neat. As well as most WBs. Universal is bland for the most part so not a big deal for them...

But being I have the A1 I may get a ps3 this summer for blu-ray playback. Buy then they may have enough exclusive games/movies worth the price. So far that what's killing them no exclusive games their all multliplatform only a few.
homerx is offline  
post #49 of 53 Old 01-22-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sketcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 3,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

But back to the LG. As far as it putting in its own menus on HDDVD are you say that the cool little pop up menu is gone in favor of a bland automatic one.

But being I have the A1 I may get a ps3 this summer for blu-ray playback. Buy then they may have enough exclusive games/movies worth the price. So far that what's killing them no exclusive games their all multliplatform only a few.

1. That's what I've read.

2. Agreed on the PS3. And it doesn't look like there are a flood of exclusive titles coming anytime soon. That wouldn't matter had it not been so far behind the 360. Oh, and the price tag is no big help for gamers either.
Sketcha is offline  
post #50 of 53 Old 01-22-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sketcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 3,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

DUH. Brainfart on my part.

Well don't think for a minute that I said that condescendingly. It was just something of a... semi... educated guess.

Was I right?
Sketcha is offline  
post #51 of 53 Old 01-22-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
himey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tampabay, FL
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha View Post

Well don't think for a minute that I said that condescendingly. It was just something of a... semi... educated guess.

Was I right?

A disc of some sort. Most likely a CD'r or either. I didn't take it as you messing with me I totally forgot about using a disc now that I have been using other methods lately (LAN for my A1 and USB for my Outlaw 990).
himey is offline  
post #52 of 53 Old 01-22-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

It is no secret that I hope Blu Ray wins!

That said, I own HD DVD and totally dig the PQ and sound!

I have nothing against the HD DVD technology. It's excellent. I just prefer Blu Ray to win the war.

Still, it seemed like a bit of a cheap shot. My Xa1 has been fine, no more buggy than my PS3....very few minor quirks for each.

That said, it seems that LG rushed this to market without thinking it through very well. Makes sense, since:

1) it was meant to be a BD player orignally
2) It's and LG!!

In order for other CE's for come out with a dual player, it would seem to me that the LG would need to have some success. So, for that, I hope they do fix some some of these issues....and lower the price.
curlyjive is online now  
post #53 of 53 Old 01-22-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sketcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 3,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

A disc of some sort. Most likely a CD'r or either. I didn't take it as you messing with me I totally forgot about using a disc now that I have been using other methods lately (LAN for my A1 and USB for my Outlaw 990).

Cool. I don't think it plays CDs though.
Sketcha is offline  
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off