LG Combo Player Available Now! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, I just noticed this player is available "now" at BB and CC...I'm surprised!...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165610378688

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/LG-Su...oductDetail.do

Blending the latest technologies and offering unprecedented flexibility to consumers seeking the convenience of playing both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD high-definition content, LG Electronics (LG), a leader in consumer electronics and mobile communications, today launched the groundbreaking Super Multi Blue Player at the 2007 International CESĀ® (Booth #8214, Central Hall, Las Vegas Convention Center).

Launching in the United States during the first quarter of 2007, this advanced dual-format high-definition disc player, LG model BH100, will be the first player on the market with the capability to play both next-generation disc formats, addressing the challenge of the current format war. The new player is ideally suited to LG's expanded lineup of Full HD 1080p plasma and LCD HDTVs, delivering best video possible in the highest display resolution format.

We've developed the Super Multi Blue Player to end the confusion caused by the current competition between Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. Customers are no longer forced to choose between the two formats, said Dr. Hee Gook Lee, president and chief technology officer of LG Electronics. As Full HD TV is already gaining ground, we are hoping that the Super Multi Blue Player will play the trigger role in expanding and advancing both Full HD TV and high-definition DVD market volume together.

LG Electronics also offers flexibility to consumers in next generation optical disc drives for personal computers. (See separate news release) The GGW-H10N, also available in the first quarter of 2007, is compatible with both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats. The Super Multi Blue 50GB drive is compatible with Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD read/write and HD-DVD-ROM (read), offering the most universal unit available.

We know our customers want high-definition content for their HDTVs. We also know a format war keeps people on the sidelines, said Mike Vitelli, senior vice president of merchandising at Best Buy. With this new dual-format player, LG is offering a viable solution to this dispute. This is the kind of customer-focused approach that Best Buy looks to bring to our customers.

Warner Home Video President Ron Sanders added, We enthusiastically welcome LG's introduction of the Super Multi Blue high-definition disc player. This is a great first step towards resolving consumer confusion and uncertainty due to the two high-definition formats. The Super Multi Blue Player will allow studios to better meet consumers' growing demand for high-definition content in both the Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats.

By providing a high-definition player that supports both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD discs, LG is delivering a product that puts the customer first, said Randy Wick, senior vice president and general merchandise manager of consumer electronics at Circuit City Stores, Inc. We applaud the LG customer-friendly approach, as it will serve to alleviate customers' confusion about the two formats.

Michael Ahn, president and CEO of LG Electronics North American Headquarters, echoed comments from Hollywood and leading retailers in support of LG's dual-format approach. The American consumers' love affair with HDTV is now even stronger thanks to LG's marriage of Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. What's more, our player upconverts standard DVDs to 1080i resolution, providing compatibility with consumers' existing movie libraries while improving the picture quality of those discs, too.

In addition to offering Full HD 1080p picture quality from high-definition discs, the player incorporates interactive functions based on BD-Java, which allows advanced menus and functions to be displayed over the video of Blu-ray discs. And, while the same level of advanced menu interactivity is not available while playing HD DVD discs, the powerful combination of Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD audio-video playback technologies is like no other on the market.

The unit supports various A/V formats, including MPEG-2, VC-1, H.264 video, MPEG1/2 audio, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, DTS and DTS-HD audio, and includes multiple inputs/outputs such as HDMI out, component/composite video outputs, and optical/coaxial/discrete 5.1 channel audio outputs, among others.

The strikingly designed unit incorporates elegant and easy-to-use backlit touch sensor buttons along with an ergonomic remote control that delivers an effortless command of the next-generation home entertainment experience.

LG's Super Multi Blue Player (BH100), available to U.S. consumers during the first quarter of 2007, is expected to sell for about U.S. $1,199.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 07:35 AM

Why bother though when you can get a PS3 and toshiba HD A1 for well under $1000 and play games too, more to go wrong with that LG unit too.
post #3 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjh009 View Post

Why bother though when you can get a PS3 and toshiba HD A1 for well under $1000 and play games too, more to go wrong with that LG unit too.

I dunno, I think folks that don't have either player yet would opt for this unit...It really is the most complete and versatile player out there. Not to mention it frees up another HDMI input on your receiver or switcher...
post #4 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken View Post

I dunno, I think folks that don't have either player yet would opt for this unit...It really is the most complete and versatile player out there. Not to mention it frees up another HDMI input on your receiver or switcher...

Only those with money to burn, who don't know or care that it's a Goldstar...
post #5 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How many threads do we need for this multi-format player?

Where's the new Forum for the Multi-Format Players/Software?
post #6 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Welcome to a week ago chuck!
post #7 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Welcome to a week ago chuck!

You could not buy this a week ago...It was on their site as coming soon. As of yesterday you can actually buy it now...That was the difference in this thread...(You folks shouldn't be so eager to attack...
post #8 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

How many threads do we need for this multi-format player?

Where's the new Forum for the Multi-Format Players/Software?

How many posts do we need from whinners and attackers?....Hmmmm. You "could" just ignore it you know... This thread is about buying now.
post #9 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You could not buy this a week ago...It was on their site as coming soon. As of yesterday you can actually buy it now...That was the difference in this thread...(You folks shouldn't be so eager to attack...

I'm not attacking you, just pulling your leg (hence the wink). There are several threads about this player from people that have supposedly bought this player from CompUSA during the past week but they are scattered throughout the BD & HD-DVD forums. It would be nice need to get them all merged together into one place.
post #10 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I applaud their effort but they should have just made a more affordable Blu-ray player instead of tacking on capabillities for a useless format like HDDVD.
post #11 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboZX View Post

I applaud their effort but they should have just made a more affordable Blu-ray player instead of tacking on capabillities for a useless format like HDDVD.

Ummm, without the dual compatibility there would be nothing to applaud. Your statement is ill-founded and makes no sense. Not to mention that your statement of "useless" is ignorant...without HD-DVD we wouldn't be watching a large number of HD-DVD's not available on Blu-Ray...
post #12 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ummm, without the dual compatibility there would be nothing to applaud. Your statement is ill-founded and makes no sense. Not to mention that your statement of "useless" is ignorant...without HD-DVD we wouldn't be watching a large number of HD-DVD's not available on Blu-Ray...

Correction. More than likely, were there no HD DVD, Universal would have release those titles on Blu-ray because they would still want the HD discs to sell.

Personally, I agree with the sentiment that the last thing we need is something to confuse the issue of the format war. The format war needs to end. Combo players don't end it. They just extend it and confuse the consumer with expensive combos or less expensive non-combos. There won't be a cheap combo until next year at the earliest. It's cheaper and will continue to be cheaper to buy two cheap players (PS3+A1/A2/Add-on+360) than to buy this player. They introduced it at 1200 to be able to lower it to 1k and call it a discount later.

And it doesn't even support many of the reasons people trumpet the HD DVD format.

I would much rather have a 400 dollar BD player than a 1200 dollar combo player that is inferior to having two players. It doesn't even do 5.1 TrueHD or DTS HD over HDMI. It lacks iHD. Too many sacrifices, too little gain, too much money.

And it's Goldstar.

LG should have stuck with making a lower cost unit.
post #13 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

Correction. More than likely, were there no HD DVD, Universal would have release those titles on Blu-ray because they would still want the HD discs to sell.

But there "is" HD-DVD...so why even mention, (if there were no?)...(kinda foolish).
Therefore there is no correction. This is a great player for folks who don't have one yet and don't want to feel torn between which format to buy. I think it's a great boost to high definition DVD period. I am format neutral, so are alot of folks... so we just want to see HD DVD take off big time no matter what format it's on...
post #14 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:

How many of those are there (HD DVDs not available on Blu-ray)? I was under the impression that there aren't many of those.
post #15 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post

How many of those are there (HD DVDs not available on Blu-ray)? I was under the impression that there aren't many of those.

Heck, there's a bunch!...Just King Kong and Serenity alone would cause me to buy HD-DVD...there are dozens.
post #16 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heck, there's a bunch!...Just King Kong and Serenity alone would cause me to buy HD-DVD...there are dozens.

For every 1 title you can only get on HDDVD there are 5 that you can only get on Blu-ray.
post #17 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Total releases thus far: HD DVD 154 vs Blu-ray 137.
post #18 of 34 Old 01-21-2007, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

Total releases thus far: HD DVD 154 vs Blu-ray 137.

check your math.

I was talking about exclusives.
Also, according to this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7&page=1&pp=30 there are currently 148 BDs available. So while at it you should also check your counting skills.
post #19 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was talking about exclusives. Check your reading skills.

Yep, you are right, I was wrong by missing the "only"'s. My total count is correct according to the following link: http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/15...ary-16th-2007/ so my reading's ok on this count.

Now that I've admitted I'm wrong on my reading, I'm not wrong in my challenge that there are 5:1 exclusives on BluRay.

No way.
post #20 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

64 out of 192 titles released and announced to HD DVD is exclusive to HD DVD/Universal.

For the price of the combo player though I'd agree to stand alone units for the same price would provide better quality and more features to the consumer.
post #21 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was talking about exclusives. Check your reading skills.

Also, according to this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7&page=1&pp=30 there are currently 148 BDs available. So while at it you should also check your counting skills.

This list is close but does have some mistakes. The comparison against HD DVD was based on NA releases but the BR list has some Japenese only releases such as AIR. Also there are some titles in that list that were never released (Blood: The Last Vampire) and last there are some items counted seperatly that were only available as a collection (Mission Impossible I, Mission Impossible II)
post #22 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Is this actually in stores, I mean do people actually have these in hand?

I had read that the player was not likely to get approval from the HD-DVD consortium (whatever) because it lacked some obscure feature.
post #23 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

I had read that the player was not likely to get approval from the HD-DVD consortium (whatever) because it lacked some obscure feature.

Walk, it will not have the HD DVD menu type features instead it will have its own standard menus. Because of this it will not be allowed to use the HD DVD logo but even lacking this they can still sell the player
post #24 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Yes you can order online from BB and CC. Mine came from BB.
post #25 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I hate to say it, but I think I'd rather have a Toshiba and a Samsung before paying about the same total amount for a single LG. Reasons:

1) The LG doesn't completely implement HD DVD.
2) The Toshiba reportedly has FAR better upconversion capability.
3) The bugs have been worked out of the Samsung - who knows about the LG?
4) Once the format war is nearing it's end, you might be able to sell one of the Tosh/Sammy units and recoup part of your investment.
post #26 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauneyM View Post

I hate to say it, but I think I'd rather have a Toshiba and a Samsung before paying about the same total amount for a single LG. Reasons:

1) The LG doesn't completely implement HD DVD.
2) The Toshiba reportedly has FAR better upconversion capability.
3) The bugs have been worked out of the Samsung - who knows about the LG?
4) Once the format war is nearing it's end, you might be able to sell one of the Tosh/Sammy units and recoup part of your investment.

To add my own #5: WHEN the LG player dies, you won't be watching HD movies anymore. If you spent less money and have 2 separate players and one dies, atleast you can still watch the HD movies that you have for the other player.

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
post #27 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Honestly I don't see this player selling as much for the price it is. It defeats the purpose to get more people to get into either format when on top of that the HD-DVD part is half-a$$

The 5.0 is here
post #28 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The guy in Home Theater last night at the BB I work at was showing me the new LG Combo player that just came in yesterday. It looks pretty cool, but since I have the HD-A1 and PS3, it is worthless to me now. Still, if you are interested in it, it is out for $1199.99.

The format wars are over Primal, you lose - Megatron from Beast Machines (partially)

So long HD-DVD, I will miss you no matter how much I complained about Combo Discs.
post #29 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

The guy in Home Theater last night at the BB I work at was showing me the new LG Combo player that just came in yesterday. It looks pretty cool, but since I have the HD-A1 and PS3, it is worthless to me now. Still, if you are interested in it, it is out for $1199.99.

I bought one from BestBuy online and returned it at a store a few hours after receiving it. Not enough HD-DVD support. Not having any disc provided menu is a real problem. The player provided menu amounts to a simple index of the disc contents.

Instead, I'm going to go the two player route while the "war" is resolved.

Robbin
post #30 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Threads merged, condescending and trolling posts removed or edited, lunch eaten and beer drank.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page