BD-UP5000 Universal Player from Samsung [pre release] - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since the universal Samsung player is coming out, it might be the best option for me because I really want to enjoy both the new high def formats. I really hate choosing a format...so both of them would be the best option. Of course I'm assuming the Samsung will perfectly play both formats, if not then I'm not biting.

If I do get this player, then theres no point in getting the PS3 (my initial decision) because half the reason I wanted a PS3 was for Blu-ray playback. I am a gamer though and I don't have any of the new consoles, so the Xbox 360 would seem like a wise decision. I would only use the 360 to play games...(there are much better games on the 360 for now IMO).

All I'm saying is that if I get the Samsung (which I likely will), then I will not get the PS3 but rather the Xbox 360.

In essence, the Samsung BD-UP5000 has changed my initial decisions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

In essence, the Samsung BD-UP5000 has changed my initial decisions!

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I currently own an A1, but have been seriously considering adding a PS3 (20 gb if possible, but seems less likely that I'll be able to find one now) to get BD exclusive content.

However, I have little to no interest in gaming, and if the Samsung is a reasonably priced (<$800 street), well-built and fully functional player, I'd rather buy it than a PS3 and use it as my main player (relegating the A1 to the bedroom)
post #183 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma_victor View Post

I'd rather buy it than a PS3 and use it as my main player (relegating the A1 to the bedroom)

That would be the ideal thing to do in your case. This player will hopefully make a lot of people happy to jump in the HD bandwagon. I think Samsung has made a good decision with its hybrid player.
post #184 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

No. Robert means well and I truly believe he wants to serve his customers well, but he has posted information here numerous times which turned out to be incorrect. Sometimes his sources gave him bad information, sometimes his understanding was incorrect, but in the absence of any independent corroborating data I remain unconvinced.

You say what?

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/P...413_0000338109

Joe V.
post #185 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
From the Samsung press release "Samsung is flexible to market a stand-alone HD-DVD player whenever consumers demand it. Our main concern is not technology but consumer choice said Dongsoo Jun, Executive Vice President of the Digital AV Division at Samsung Electronics."

I don't know about you all, but I think consumer demanded one format from the begining. What kind of BS is this?

Life is what you make it.......
post #186 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #187 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post

From the Samsung press release "Samsung is flexible to market a stand-alone HD-DVD player whenever consumers demand it. Our main concern is not technology but consumer choice said Dongsoo Jun, Executive Vice President of the Digital AV Division at Samsung Electronics."

I don't know about you all, but I think consumer demanded one format from the begining. What kind of BS is this?

Which one did they "demand"?
post #188 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Samsung IMHO is not a top notch company when it comes to players. And even if its better than there first Blu-ray offering I would not buy it! It's nice to see dual format players coming out as I feel it might help promote the HD formats. In the short term it might help make HD formats become more accepted. But in the long run one of these formats needs to die and there needs to be a winner, one way or the other. And besides LG and Samsung there is another company that will be offering an HD-DVD player, a well known company called Onkyo.

I am saving up for a Blu-ray player currently and will most likely buy most of my HD movies on Blu-ray. I also own an HD-A1 that I have been very happy with and will continue to buy movies for, especially when Battlestar Galactica Season 1 comes out. As long as HD-DVD survives long enough or wins the war I will look into upgrading my current HD-DVD player to a something better that also includes HDMI 1.3.

I love movies in HD!

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
post #189 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

It's the kind of B.S. that attracts more customers to your product. Case in point, read the HD DVD board. There are some genuinely excited people over there that would like to part with their money for the chance to have both formats and Samsung is recognizing that. Your personal opinion is obviously in the minority or they wouldn't have made the move. As for what consumers wanted how do you know what I wanted? I don't care which format takes off, if either. I want HD movies and this is the best way right now. If this fails I'll move onto whatever else comes along. I welcome the move by Samsung. Nothing is stopping the studios from still supporting their format of choice, this just gives people a way to enjoy both. What's wrong with that? I think every player should be a combo deck. That's just me though.
post #190 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Samsung IMHO is not a top notch company when it comes to players. And even if its better than there first Blu-ray offering I would not buy it!

You did qualify your statement with "IMHO", so your comment is noted as your opinion. I still feel it bears pointing out that your opinion has little basis in fact. Indeed, Samsung's post-firmware BD player is actually one of the nicer players of that format for overall performance and user interface, bearing in mind it has pretty much the same limitations most other players that cost more also have.

Quote:

And besides LG and Samsung there is another company that will be offering an HD-DVD player, a well known company called Onkyo.

If Onkyo is indeed releasing a next gen disc player, I have zero doubt it will be OEM from someone else. All of Onkyo's past DVD players that I know of have been based on other OEM chassis. Another brand name will be all well and good, but I would prefer to see Panasonic or Pioneer release either a combo or HD DVD. These companies actually design and build their own.
post #191 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hate to add fuel to the fire, but so did the dvd forum. It was called AOD or what is now known as hddvd.

Sony is the one company more than all the others who screwed this up. Much like the failure of SACD which started out of all things as a 2 channel format, HELLO!!! the Bluray disc has had more than its share of problems. Inefficient ancient codecs, the vast majority of discs are lacking special features from the dvd, interactive features that won't play and specs for them that won't be finalized for 6 months, and ridiculously priced players! As a whole the format is starting to get its act together with AVC encodes, keeping the special features from the dvd, and using advanced audio codecs like DTS-HD. In my opinion though they are still easily in hddvd's dust and trying to catch up.
post #192 of 2339 Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Uh, OK.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #193 of 2339 Old 04-14-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

I hate to add fuel to the fire, but so did the dvd forum. It was called AOD or what is now known as hddvd.

Sony is the one company more than all the others who screwed this up. Much like the failure of SACD which started out of all things as a 2 channel format, HELLO!!! the Bluray disc has had more than its share of problems. Inefficient ancient codecs, the vast majority of discs are lacking special features from the dvd, interactive features that won't play and specs for them that won't be finalized for 6 months, and ridiculously priced players! As a whole the format is starting to get its act together with AVC encodes, keeping the special features from the dvd, and using advanced audio codecs like DTS-HD. In my opinion though they are still easily in hddvd's dust and trying to catch up.

Exactly right. Sony tried to strong-arm the DVD forum into BR by developping its own next-gen format and starting the BDA, effectively changing the outlook of patents and royalties in its favor and short-changing Toshiba in the process. Unfortunately for Sony and to a lesser extent for the BDA, the DVD forum changed its election process in order to launch HD DVD, something the BDA tried to prevent.

After Samsung now announcing its duo player, all is needed to achieve complete status quo in this war is one defective studio from the BR camp. That will come in time, once studios realize PS3's attach rate will not allow them to crush HD DVD into oblivion like they expected. Universal players are the future IMO.

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
post #194 of 2339 Old 04-14-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post

Universal players are the future IMO.

I agree 110%

Joe V.
post #195 of 2339 Old 04-14-2007, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

If Onkyo is indeed releasing a next gen disc player, I have zero doubt it will be OEM from someone else. All of Onkyo's past DVD players that I know of have been based on other OEM chassis. Another brand name will be all well and good, but I would prefer to see Panasonic or Pioneer release either a combo or HD DVD. These companies actually design and build their own.

I agree regarding Onkyo. And even with Parsons being so vehement for BR, I wouldn't be surprised if they go the universal player route also. They must not have sold too many of that $1500 MSRP blue wonder that can't even read CDs...

post #196 of 2339 Old 04-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Universal players are the future IMO.

I agree, in principle that is. In practice, if the MSRP remains remains anywhere near 1K, as speculated, or even much higher than single format players, then they will sell mostly to enthusiasts. Mainstream mass adopters may increase their fence sitting, because they do not want to take the risk attached to a single format, and they perceive waiting for the dual format price to come way down is their best option.

Unfortunately, that my slow down the transition from DVD to high def even more. Slow sales of dual format players means a longer wait for economies of scale to kick in and for prices to drop dramatically. Now if enough manufactures hop on dual format bandwagon, then that could reduce the cost of the chips and drives much faster.

I, for one, hope that's exactly what happens. We need at least three or four of these companies to see the light and make fully functional dual format players.
post #197 of 2339 Old 04-14-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After Samsung now announcing its duo player, all is needed to achieve complete status quo in this war is one defective studio from the BR camp.

I can think of several 'defective' studios in both camps.
post #198 of 2339 Old 04-14-2007, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore View Post

post #199 of 2339 Old 04-14-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'll gladly buy a combo player once they get down to around $600 or so. I want to dump this PS3 as its a crappy videogame machine.
post #200 of 2339 Old 04-14-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yampan View Post

We need at least three or four of these companies to see the light and make fully functional dual format players.

I have great hope that this is what is going to happen.

post #201 of 2339 Old 04-14-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore View Post

Ok, you got me, "defecting" might be more like it

post #202 of 2339 Old 04-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post

Since prices are dropping, HDTV sales increasing, and SDtv's getting phased out, it's getting much easier for JSP to buy into HD.

They may buy into HD, but that does not mean they will buy into HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. Remember the first time you watched a Progressive Scan DVD on a big screen. I do and was amazed. For most that will be enough. It seems to me that the average consumer just wants cheap, small and easy to use. Look at the ipod, My wife loves hers, and I can't stand it because I'm not impressed with the sound quality. Most people want one so they can listen to whatever they want and not have to carry around 100 CD's. If a video distribution system such as the Kaliedscope came out, but portable and cheap like a ipod. People would jump all over that , even if it was only SD DVD. Even once they flip the switch on analog TV, the people that have not ran out and replaced every TV in their house with Digital ones, will just use the government funded boxes and keep going.
post #203 of 2339 Old 04-15-2007, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
BDA can beat down Universal and should....no frickin' dual format players!

No more VHS/Betamax wars and no more SACD/DVD-A wars!

ONE FORMAT ONLY, PLEASE!!!

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #204 of 2339 Old 04-15-2007, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly right. Sony tried to strong-arm the DVD forum into BR by developping its own next-gen format and starting the BDA, effectively changing the outlook of patents and royalties in its favor and short-changing Toshiba in the process. Unfortunately for Sony and to a lesser extent for the BDA, the DVD forum changed its election process in order to launch HD DVD, something the BDA tried to prevent.

Sorry, this is revisionist history. Sony didn't try to strongarm the DVD Forum. Most of the DVD Forum backed Sony's Blu-ray proposal (mirroring Blu-ray's vastly greater vendor support today), but Toshiba was in a position of political strength and prevented Sony's proposal from being adopted. Sony, Panasonic, and others then formed the BDA to pursue standardization outside of the DVD Forum. Since Blu-ray isn't based on underlying DVD technologies, there was really no compelling reason to standardize the format within the DVD Forum, especially when one company (Toshiba) was blocking efforts to protect their own IP in legacy DVD.
Quote:

After Samsung now announcing its duo player, all is needed to achieve complete status quo in this war is one defective studio from the BR camp. That will come in time, once studios realize PS3's attach rate will not allow them to crush HD DVD into oblivion like they expected. Universal players are the future IMO.

How does one of the five exclusive Blu-ray studios going neutral provide status quo? You'd still have an overwhelming studio and CE advantage for Blu-ray and millions more players in the marketplace.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #205 of 2339 Old 04-15-2007, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, this is revisionist history. Sony didn't try to strongarm the DVD Forum. Most of the DVD Forum backed Sony's Blu-ray proposal (mirroring Blu-ray's vastly greater vendor support today), but Toshiba was in a position of political strength and prevented Sony's proposal from being adopted. Sony, Panasonic, and others then formed the BDA to pursue standardization outside of the DVD Forum. Since Blu-ray isn't based on underlying DVD technologies, there was really no compelling reason to standardize the format within the DVD Forum, especially when one company (Toshiba) was blocking efforts to protect their own IP in legacy DVD.
Quote:

How does one of the five exclusive Blu-ray studios going neutral provide status quo? You'd still have an overwhelming studio and CE advantage for Blu-ray and millions more players in the marketplace.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #206 of 2339 Old 04-15-2007, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

It would seem Robert is more of an insider than some others here
Humble pie?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10286912
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10284860

Agreed!
post #207 of 2339 Old 04-15-2007, 03:51 AM

post #208 of 2339 Old 04-15-2007, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny thing. My Samsung rep came in yesterday and new nothing about the new duel format player. I printed her the Korean news wire release for her to take with her.

- Chip
post #209 of 2339 Old 04-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip E View Post

new duel format player.

Dunno if that was on purpose Chip, but it sure got a chuckle out of me!

du·el (dōō'əl, dyōō'-) Pronunciation Key
n.
1. A prearranged, formal combat between two persons, usually fought to settle a point of honor.
2. A struggle for domination between two contending persons, groups, or ideas.

du·al (dōō'əl, dyōō'-) Pronunciation Key
adj.
1. Composed of two usually like or complementary parts; double: dual controls for pilot and copilot; a car with dual exhaust pipes.
2. Having a double character or purpose: a belief in the dual nature of reality.
post #210 of 2339 Old 04-15-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I almost wonder if this isn't a way for Samsung to pressure Sony into some concession. It's good news for HD DVD if they release it on time and at a decent price though.

Be a Reality fanboy.
Closed Thread Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page