Closed Thread

post #2311 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisbingo View Post

>>cross-over, it should be at 80 Hz. (I wonder why they picked 100 Hz?)

What is the likely result of th 100 Hz cross-over - too little bass, too much, in the wrong places?? I don't really understand the consequences..

A couple of issues include the increasing directionality of bass above 80 Hz (that is, one's ability to pinpoint where the bass is coming from, instead of it appearing non-directional) as well as compatibility with larger-woofer, high-output subwoofers that might not reproduce upper bass as competently as lower bass (<20-40 Hz).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 PM

Crutchfield just received it's first shipment of BD-UP5000s. We got 100 today and we'll get another 100 early next week. We had 240+ backorders last time I checked, but if you're among the first 200, you're golden.

Steve (at Crutchfield)
post #2313 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 12:46 PM

Let me first say I have been following these threads for awhile and I appreciate everyones information about this player. Well I walked into the local best buy today just to see if I could get some questions answered about arrival of this player. Get over by the bd/hd players and there is no Samsung bd-p1400 on display, I look down at the stack of them below and there is BD-UP5000 sitting right on top of the pile. I get a guy to help me, ask how many they got in and what not, he shows me on the computer that almost every store in Southwest MI was getting 1 today and that after that it showed back-ordered. Well I bought it and here are the first pictures of it.
LL
LL
LL
post #2314 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Yes yes, pictures... very keen.

Now stop posting and go hook it up! I want test results!

Please comment on my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
projects!
post #2315 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmich View Post

Let me first say I have been following these threads for awhile and I appreciate everyones information about this player. Well I walked into the local best buy today just to see if I could get some questions answered about arrival of this player. Get over by the bd/hd players and there is no Samsung bd-p1400 on display, I look down at the stack of them below and there is BD-UP5000 sitting right on top of the pile. I get a guy to help me, ask how many they got in and what not, he shows me on the computer that almost every store in Southwest MI was getting 1 today and that after that it showed back-ordered. Well I bought it and here are the first pictures of it.

If you have any DVD+R discs would you see it they will play?
post #2316 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Does that box not open Gee I would never been able to wait to get my camera out to take a picture of the box first! Are you trying to tease us?
post #2317 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Thank you! I see the TrueHD logo on the box - when you get a chance can you check if it is multi channel or just stereo.
post #2318 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone needs to start an owner/user thread now that this is starting to show up.
post #2319 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

If you have any DVD+R discs would you see it they will play?

Sorry guys I don't have time right now to put it through paces I have to be at work in a little bit.

Question above: There is a * next to Multi format Compatibility on the front of the box. On the side of the box it says

-Multi Format Compatibility: BD-ROM, HD DVD, DVD-Video, DVD-R/-RW, Audio CD and CD-R.
-Not for DVD+R/+RW/-RAM Discs.

It goes on with a list of what samsung does not warrant, but I don't have time to type the paragraph of stuff right now. I will later if someone wants to read it. Its the grey box on the side in the pictures.
post #2320 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Again, downright goofy if it can't play DVD+Rs.
post #2321 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry guys I don't have time right now to put it through paces I have to be at work in a little bit.

Question above: There is a * next to Multi format Compatibility on the front of the box. On the side of the box it says

-Multi Format Compatibility: BD-ROM, HD DVD, DVD-Video, DVD-R/-RW, Audio CD and CD-R.
-Not for DVD+R/+RW/-RAM Discs.

It goes on with a list of what samsung does not warrant, but I don't have time to type the paragraph of stuff right now. I will later if someone wants to read it. Its the grey box on the side in the pictures.

Hi, I know it says the same thing in the manual but many of us think it still might play them. Other units haven't supported DVD+R discs but the machines will still play them. This is the first time however a manual specifically says it won't, so we were all wondering it it is true. Whenever you get around to it I'd appreciate knowing if you have any DVD+R discs available. I've had a unit on order since Oct.
post #2322 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

Someone needs to start an owner/user thread now that this is starting to show up.

Completely agree. Someone start an owners thread please!
post #2323 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 View Post

Completely agree. Someone start an owners thread please!

Take a closer look on this here forum. Unfortunately, the fellow has gone off to work so that leaves everyone hanging.
post #2324 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Take a closer look on this here forum. Unfortunately, the fellow has gone off to work so that leaves everyone hanging.

Has this guy EVER heard of a "sick day?"
post #2325 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
There is an owner's thread here;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=955388

We should start seeing owner feedback shortly!

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #2326 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 02:38 PM
sjv
AVS Special Member

Location: New Orleans' North Shore-beautiful St. Tammany Parish LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

Hi, I know it says the same thing in the manual but many of us think it still might play them. Other units haven't supported DVD+R discs but the machines will still play them. This is the first time however a manual specifically says it won't, so we were all wondering it it is true. Whenever you get around to it I'd appreciate knowing if you have any DVD+R discs available. I've had a unit on order since Oct.

Scuba, that was/is the exact reason that I got off of this player and bought a Sony BDP-S500 last week. It, the Sony, specifically says that it WILL play DVD+R discs....which I have a ton of. I tried it out and it does play them with no problem.
post #2327 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
link to new owners thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=955388

this thread unstuck
post #2328 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Pardon me if this has been answered...

I've been following these threads and, like everyone else, I am looking forward to this player and am concerned about its audio decoding.

However, I'm not concerned what it sends over the analog outputs... I'm concerned about HDMI. Does this unit internally decode TrueHD (and the other formats) to full 5.1/6.1/7.1 PCM and send it out over HDMI??

I have a non-1.3 HDMI receiver (Denon 5805CI) that I have my current blu-ray player (Panasonic 10A) hooked up to via HDMI. For Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, I get multichannel PCM over HDMI.

Thanks,
Garrett
post #2329 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggunderson View Post

However, I'm not concerned what it sends over the analog outputs... I'm concerned about HDMI. Does this unit internally decode TrueHD (and the other formats) to full 5.1/6.1/7.1 PCM and send it out over HDMI??
I have a non-1.3 HDMI receiver (Denon 5805CI) that I have my current blu-ray player (Panasonic 10A) hooked up to via HDMI. For Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, I get multichannel PCM over HDMI.

Thanks,
Garrett

My main concern, like others, is if the BD-5000 will send TrueHD and DTS-HD undecoded through HDMI (via Bitstream) and allow a capable receiver (I have the Onkyo 705) to decode it.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #2330 of 2339 Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

With the report above, I checked the BB in Lewisville just now to see if they had gotten them in. They didnt have any and they dont even have it in the computer.

I have a 12% off coupon good til 12/16, so im hoping its in their system by then so I can order it with the discount.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -

post #2331 of 2339 Old 12-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Just happened to drive down to BB to see if they happened to get any in today. I went to the shelf and all they had was the 1400. There was an empty spot right above the 1400, just big enough to hold one 1400. There was no shelf tag for the 5000. A BB employee asked me if I needed any help, so I asked when they would get any 5000 in (luckily he knew exactly what player I was talking about) and he said he wasn't sure, but that he could order me one from the warehouse and they would send it directly to me. I told him I wanted to look around the store some more before I had to go through the order process.

So, I browse around the store for awhile and then come back to the same section, but I can't find the guy who I originally talked to. The new guy had no clue how to use their computer system. Thankfully, I saw the original employee and waived him over. He played with the computer and determined that he could not order one from the warehouse. Then, he said it looks like we have one in the store, let me go check. So, he walks over to where the empty slot was earlier and said here it is! Sure enough, there it was! Another employee said it had just came off the truck. WHAT TIMING!!

I will not be hooking it up until Christmas, so please do not ask for reviews. Plus, my Pioneer 6010 is not scheduled to arrive until this Wednesday.

I hope everyone finds one before Christmas!!!
post #2332 of 2339 Old 12-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

What did you pay for it?

Please comment on my
and
projects!
post #2333 of 2339 Old 12-15-2007, 05:28 PM

$799.99
post #2334 of 2339 Old 12-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

... I am a firm believer that the proper audio experience makes up 55% of the hometheater experience. Video makes up 45%. This kind of goes against the grain on these boards, where there are far more people with 3-10K plasmas/LCDs/projector setups who have $300 HTIB audio systems hooked up to them. ...

I'm with you completely here, and I'd probably push the numbers even more in favor of audio's importance. I'd been using my tiny CRT with my $2k+ audio setup for about a year before I finally took the plunge on my Samsung 4671 (I just graduated in June, so money was a lot tougher before).

That said though, I'm frustrated by the lack of detail when SD DVD gets stretched to 46", and I'm eagerly awaiting this player. I can't wait for that Reon, and even more I can't wait for content that's stored in 1080p. I've got some downloaded 720p movies that I play from my laptop, and even comparing SD DVD to those is "night and day" to me!

I can understand your frustration with the analog outs, since I'm sure you've invested a lot in your current non-HDMI equipment. For me, having spent only $300 on my Denon AVR-3300 (thanks eBay!) I'm more concerned with bitstreaming for whenever I decide to upgrade the AVR. Until then, I'm content to listen to core DD/DTS; my PC occupies the multichannel analog input anyway.

Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Samsung 4671 (1013.1), Denon AVR-3808CI, HTD Level 3 5.1
Denon AVR-3300, Denon PMA-700V, Advent Loudspeakers
post #2335 of 2339 Old 12-19-2007, 09:00 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post

I'm with you completely here, and I'd probably push the numbers even more in favor of audio's importance. I'd been using my tiny CRT with my $2k+ audio setup for about a year before I finally took the plunge on my Samsung 4671 (I just graduated in June, so money was a lot tougher before).

That said though, I'm frustrated by the lack of detail when SD DVD gets stretched to 46", and I'm eagerly awaiting this player. I can't wait for that Reon, and even more I can't wait for content that's stored in 1080p. I've got some downloaded 720p movies that I play from my laptop, and even comparing SD DVD to those is "night and day" to me!

I can understand your frustration with the analog outs, since I'm sure you've invested a lot in your current non-HDMI equipment. For me, having spent only $300 on my Denon AVR-3300 (thanks eBay!) I'm more concerned with bitstreaming for whenever I decide to upgrade the AVR. Until then, I'm content to listen to core DD/DTS; my PC occupies the multichannel analog input anyway.

I am with you on this also! I also would push the numbers higher for the audio quality vs video importance for overall best experiencing a movie/film.
The sound experience is essential. Video takes 2nd seat for me.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #2336 of 2339 Old 12-22-2007, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Does anyone know the Canadian release date for this player?
Thank you.
Mike
post #2337 of 2339 Old 12-22-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheavy View Post

Does anyone know the Canadian release date for this player?
Thank you.
Mike

First or second week in January. Canada is to get 700 units in the first shipment. A second shipment is to follow, however, I do know the volumes and timing of this second shipment.
post #2338 of 2339 Old 12-25-2007, 02:51 PM

This player seems to work very well, load times are about 20 seconds. Picture quality is really good. I watched the Bourne trilogy on HD-DVD and Super Bad on Blu-ray without any problems.
post #2339 of 2339 Old 12-25-2007, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've had no issues up until watching the Blu-ray Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Two issues of note.
  1. Occasional freezing - I think this may be a glitch as a result of the "seamless branching" used wherein alternate footage was interwoven into playback, to comprise the three different versions of the film.
  2. Ticking sound - What I can only describe as a "metronome" type of sound. This came about when switching from DTS True HD to Dolby HD via the K5's remote. This went away as I toggled through the audio tracks (returning 'full circle' to the the Dolby HD track) using my Harmony 880 remote.
Other than that, I have had zero issues playing back any other titles.

So far I would have to say my playback problems break out as such;
  • Blu-ray = 1
  • HD DVD = 0
  • DVD = 0

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
Closed Thread Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page