Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 113 Old 06-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

LOL! Even the entire Matrix collection on HD-DVD isn't anywhere close to that amount.

He was meaning that 4 HD-DVD's would cost $120 and they can get 4 of the SD versions for $20 at Blockbuster. If you shop online though, I could probably get the 4 same HD-DVD's for around $80, which is the same cost for SD DVD's. I just bought The Skeleton Key on HD-DVD for $6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 06-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

I guess my post was not clear. I was in Blockbuster, they had 4 used name brand recently released DVDs for $20. To buy the same 4 name brand recently released HD DVDs / Blu Ray from a retail outlet would have cost $120. I understand it may not be fair to compare used to new, but this is the choice that was available to me. I know alot of average Joe consumer's that can't make the leap to pay the extra money when they feel that Standard DVD quality is fine. If Hollywood really wants to get people to make the leap they should be more agressive on the pricing of HD DVDs / Blu Ray than standards DVDs atleast for a little while. This would get more people to try HD DVDs / Blu Ray and then they could bump the price back up a lilttle.
post #93 of 113 Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 AM

Movies are going to be like music. At first not many people downloaded music as broadband became more common, downloading music became popular. Most of the people I know have not bought a CD in years.

For right now xbox live is the only place that lets you download HD content (as far as I know)

The XBOX360 is on the right path... xbox360+hdtv+vista media center = the way things should be.

I use vista media center to record OTA HD content. Play it through my xbox360 on my HDTV. Also use it for playing a massive mp3 collection. This is seamless and vista media center looks very sexy on a big screen. There are no subscription fees, no content to buy.

Xbox live offers HD content for download. I tried out one HD movie (right now movies are only available for rent, tv shows you download you can actually keep) it is 720p and the file was 5gb. Took a few hours to download (was not timing it, but felt like 3-5 hours) PQ was very good... movie sucked (The Wicker Man) You can actually can start watching movies before they finish downloading.

As soon as we get to the point where we can start watching movies as soon as they start to download, downloaded HD programming will gain much more acceptance. Once we can download a HD movie in less than 2 hours, we are set :-)
post #94 of 113 Old 06-04-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

HDD's biggest competitor is the HD programming available to HDTV owners. They are paying for it monthly and guess what? Many of the movies on HDD are also on HDTV through the different services available. I only own HD DVD yet I have seen both Cars and POTC - DMC in HD.

So if I can see a movie in HD for a fee that I pay anyway - why should I go out and spend $300 or $600 for a player, then start spending $25 to $35 a movie? Just so I can play it anytime time I want? That reasoning has gotten lame and you can see it in the sales of HDD movies in general.

How is that different from DVD? Granted, some people may have bought the DVDs just to get movies in OAR, but that could still apply now in cases where the movie is shown in "fullscreen HD." Sure, the higher price of HDDs is a factor, but it took years for sub-$10 DVDs to arrive.

Then there are new releases, which don't show up on TV for several months. They may be available soon afterwards on PPV, but that didn't kill VHS or DVD rentals either.
post #95 of 113 Old 06-05-2007, 06:17 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

How is that different from DVD? Granted, some people may have bought the DVDs just to get movies in OAR, but that could still apply now in cases where the movie is shown in "fullscreen HD." Sure, the higher price of HDDs is a factor, but it took years for sub-$10 DVDs to arrive.

Then there are new releases, which don't show up on TV for several months. They may be available soon afterwards on PPV, but that didn't kill VHS or DVD rentals either.

First Paragraph:I am not understanding your post. I am comparing HDD to HDTV and you have introduced DVD into the conversation. Again - apples to apples.

Second Paragraph:Again I do not understand your point. Please clarify
post #96 of 113 Old 06-05-2007, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First Paragraph:I am not understanding your post. I am comparing HDD to HDTV and you have introduced DVD into the conversation. Again - apples to apples.

Second Paragraph:Again I do not understand your point. Please clarify

You asked why people should pay for HD discs when they could watch the movies on television. I said that this isn't different than it was with DVD, where you could watch the movies on television instead, and yet the format became successful.

The second part says that with new release movies, you can't just watch them on television until they air, which is after the video releases have been out. Sometimes people will buy new release movies in order to see them sooner than they could on television. They delay the TV showings so they don't directly compete with the DVDs/HD discs.

I understand that some people will choose to watch movies on television instead of buying them, but this isn't anything new.
post #97 of 113 Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 AM

Okay for all those people that are saying that no one will be willing to wait for downloads of HD movies check out this article first.

http://www.screendigest.com/online_s...07-e2theb/show

I think that some of these sweeping statements that are posted like facts such as downloads are years off have not done the research. It is here and now and expanding at faster rate than you might think. If we look at these numbers then we see that there were 272K downloads of Hidef movies on Xbox live in the first quarter and that works out to 21K per week now with a projected doubling of this volume in the coming months. With 35 movies available now and a lot more to come this number will expand rapidly. Just look at how happy Lionsgate is with these numbers and you'll notice that paramount and warner are on-board who have had new releases that people definitely want to see. Warners slate can expand quickly since they have embraced the VC-1 codec making it easy to transfer releases into the library. I would not be surprised to see other studios sign up in the near term future either. And I have to say after watching some of these releases the quality is pretty darn good, certainly better than on-demand HD movies.

It just looks expensive!

My Theater
post #98 of 113 Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

I've been having a conversation with a coworker very related to this. basically he has shown me great interest in going high def and he comes to me with questions regarding the newer audio/video tech. but for the life of me i cant get him to jump in and get his feet wet. he says things like "I'll buy a big screen when the prices drop to $500" "I'll get HD sat. when every channel is HD" "I'll buy an HD player when i can buy one at Walmart for $100 and half the blockbuster store is HD." he doesn't like the idea of buying into the technology in its infancy and prefers to wait until everything has matured. which i find really strange considering he's an electronics engineer

Actually, I share the same sentiments as your coworker. I've been in the technology (computer) industry for almost 30 years and always been interested in technology and been an early adopter - especially in A/V. But, I still do not have either hidef DVD format despite realizing the benefits and wanting it. Why not?

When I was younger I chased all kinds of incremental upgrades, beta releases, funded vendors R&D efforts by buying 1st gen product and generally, was more susceptible to buying (literally and figuratively) into the cachet of being an "early adopter". Now product cycles are even shorter and the incremental improvement is even smaller. Take SD DVD players for example. Progressive and upscaling have been pushed by manufacturers and retailers as "must haves". Now I know that some people swear by them (and there's plenty of threads discussing these) but both of these "enhancements" really are kind of minor compared to moving from VHS to DVD. Even software vendors have been cutting back on the incremental releases as customers were complaining that they weren't getting the "big bang" benefits from upgrade-itis - especially when people only use 2% of the features of something like Word anyway.

The point I'm making is that, while I see the benefits of hidef DVD (and want it) I'm much more content to let this thing play out. Like your friend I'll jump in when there's a ton of releases available, I don't have to concern myself with what's being released on what format, the players are close to commodities, the A/V idiosyncrasies have been worked out with a few more generations and a fuller set of the formats specifications have worked their way into a wider range of products. I'm now at the stage where I'm looking for the most improvement at the lowest cost - especially when what I have is already very good.
post #99 of 113 Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammie34 View Post

Okay for all those people that are saying that no one will be willing to wait for downloads of HD movies check out this article first.

http://www.screendigest.com/online_s...07-e2theb/show

I think that some of these sweeping statements that are posted like facts such as downloads are years off have not done the research. It is here and now and expanding at faster rate than you might think. If we look at these numbers then we see that there were 272K downloads of Hidef movies on Xbox live in the first quarter and that works out to 21K per week now with a projected doubling of this volume in the coming months. With 35 movies available now and a lot more to come this number will expand rapidly. Just look at how happy Lionsgate is with these numbers and you'll notice that paramount and warner are on-board who have had new releases that people definitely want to see. Warners slate can expand quickly since they have embraced the VC-1 codec making it easy to transfer releases into the library. I would not be surprised to see other studios sign up in the near term future either. And I have to say after watching some of these releases the quality is pretty darn good, certainly better than on-demand HD movies.

I don't think anyone is denying that downloads are available now and will be at least somewhat popular soon. What's being debated is if and when they will make physical media extinct. iTunes, for instance, has been around for four years now, and yet you can still buy CDs.

I don't know why everything has to be a "____ killer," as if there's no such thing as co-existence. I don't doubt that downloads will be very popular with some people, but I don't think it's going to kill off physical media any time soon. I know I'll be holding out until the end.
post #100 of 113 Old 06-05-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:

I don't think anyone is denying that downloads are available now and will be at least somewhat popular soon. What's being debated is if and when they will make physical media extinct. iTunes, for instance, has been around for four years now, and yet you can still buy CDs.

I don't know why everything has to be a "____ killer," as if there's no such thing as co-existence. I don't doubt that downloads will be very popular with some people, but I don't think it's going to kill off physical media any time soon. I know I'll be holding out until the end.

I agree with you in that I don't believe that they will be doomed. Thats pretty drastic and even those that have quote failed certainly linger on if companies decide to continue to support them for the merrits. For example, LP's and SACD's come to mind for true audiophiles who continue to pony up money.

I do think that with all the choices available that HD-DVD and Blu-ray are not necessarily going to be the dominate format within their respective life times and may find it much harder to gain traction than say DVD. The DVD as we all know had many other advantages beyond an improvement in quality at the time. Nameably convienence, size, durability, portability. HD discs only provide an increase in quality and to a smaller degree other content.

These arguments can be applied to HDTV's as well particularly that flat and light is probably the most important selling point and not quality of the image. I can hang it on my wall or I don't need a really deep cabinet to put it in. HD CRT's do not sell well.

It just looks expensive!

My Theater
post #101 of 113 Old 06-05-2007, 11:23 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:

You asked why people should pay for HD discs when they could watch the movies on television. I said that this isn't different than it was with DVD, where you could watch the movies on television instead, and yet the format became successful.

DVD became successfuk due to it replacing LD - big, expensive and side changes (and sometimes disc changes - VHS - 2X the PQ, no rewinding, didn't wear out. If people wanted HDD's then they sales numbers would be much higher - which they aren't.

Quote:

The second part says that with new release movies, you can't just watch them on television until they air, which is after the video releases have been out. Sometimes people will buy new release movies in order to see them sooner than they could on television. They delay the TV showings so they don't directly compete with the DVDs/HD discs.

"Sometimes" - yes, agreed. There are 120 million DVD players in the USA. A good sale of a movie will reach about 8 million - less than 10% choose to buy the movie.

Many of the HDD's that are being released have already been released on DVD and are already on HDTV in HD BEFORE they are released to HDD - CARS and POTC-DMC, THE ROAD WARRIOR - just to name three. If all my interest is , is to see the movie in HD, then again I don't have to buy it to see it.

Quote:

I understand that some people will choose to watch movies on television instead of buying them, but this isn't anything new.

Exactly - but this contradicts your second statement.
post #102 of 113 Old 06-07-2007, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly - but this contradicts your second statement.

Really? The second statement was that new release titles may not apply to your contention that people can just watch HD movies on television now, since there is a period of time before they air. I said sometimes people will buy a movie when it is new, while other times they will choose to wait and see it on television. It all depends on how badly they want to see it and whether it's important to own a copy of it or not.
post #103 of 113 Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turansformer View Post

I remember during the dot.com boom when online newspapers were supposed to spell doom for their printed counterparts.... it never happened.

It did for me.
post #104 of 113 Old 06-08-2007, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Got this off Cnet today:here

Quote:

Friday 8 June 2007
Onkyo DV-HD805: Finally, a new HD DVD player
Related entries: DVD & PVR

Toshiba's HD DVD division is like the kid who doesn't have anyone to play with -- overweight, lazy and beginning to develop an odd smell. Until now, that is -- there hasn't been much competition in the HD DVD market, but that's about to change with a new player from Onkyo, the DV-HD805.

But unlike the aforementioned loser, Toshiba has an awesome new toy and everyone wants to play with it. Onkyo is licensing the blueprints from Tosh, so the DV-HD805 is actually based on the Toshiba HD-XE1. The good news for us is that it could result in a substantial price drop for HD DVD players.

Onkyo is keen to point out it will be tweaking the hardware too, so while it is based on the Toshiba player, it's hopefully going to have a few tasty enhancements. It will also have an Onkyo-designed case, which is going to look a little different to the usual black Toshiba design.

There is no formal word on price yet, but we would hope Onkyo does its usual trick of producing decent hardware with a sensible price tag. If so, we could see this being a nice boost to the fortunes of HD DVD.

The other snippet of exciting news is that Onkyo also supports Blu-ray, which leads us to wonder if perhaps we could see a budget Blu-ray player, or maybe even a dual-format machine from the company in the next year. -Ian Morris

post #105 of 113 Old 06-11-2007, 09:58 AM

just curious... where can I find high quality full movies online to download ???
how much do they cost?
any free ones ?
post #106 of 113 Old 06-11-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
download a 25-50GB HD Movie? I don't think you'll find that anywhere. I've seen low quality full length films to download for a fee, but most were encoded with DivX or xVID

I haven't seen full DVD's (~8GB) to download off the internet (legally, that is)

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #107 of 113 Old 06-17-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 47
PKW2000: Of course this is the way to go, but I like owning something that I can hold. What happens if your hardrive frys, or if Vista crashes for the 4th time in a day...These are big questions that need to be pondered, I don't like the control studios have on content, what happens if they decide to say you can't burn this to a disk and make a copy or they say time for pay per play, everytime they watch you they charge you a fee. I think it still will be a ways off before this even comes close to mainstream. You can download content on the PS3 now in HD, but Xbox is further ahead of the game, I use both but don't download movies, too slow and it will have to be under 30min for me to bite. I can hop in my car get off my a s s and go down to the store and rent one faster and run a few other errands, plus it is keeping more people employed...

Or you can have Movielink not support your computer your using, just went to there web site and stated I needed XP or 2000 in order to use there site...
post #108 of 113 Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

what happens if they decide to say you can't burn this to a disk and make a copy...

I don't think they will allow that at all. The whole supposed point of download services is that you don't need to use a disc.
post #109 of 113 Old 06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 47
SirDrexl: That is what I am afraid of, hopefully by then they will have huge flash memory drives.
post #110 of 113 Old 06-17-2007, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I don't think they will allow that at all. The whole supposed point of download services is that you don't need to use a disc.

Not really. Many people pay for downloaded music and then burn them to a CD. Some who download movies will still want to burn them to a disc.

It's more about not having to stock or deliver a disc (and make you wait for delivery or drive somewhere to buy it) in order for you to get the music, than it is about avoiding the use of a disc.
post #111 of 113 Old 06-19-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Do you know how long it takes to download 8GB over high speed...longer than I want to wait...and if HD programming is larger, forget it.

Also, what percentage of households have access to high speed? What percentage of household don't have internet access? Do you just leave the low speed / no internet customers out of your potential customers? Wal-Mart probably wouldn't like that.

If I could go to the store and purchase a SD card with a HD movie, would I...probably...but then what do I play it on....I'm not dragging my computer into my living room.

It takes me 24mins at my office
post #112 of 113 Old 06-19-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

It takes me 24mins at my office

They just put in a 30Gbps pipe at my office, but then again, no job = no money = no movies...I don't want to get fired

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #113 of 113 Old 06-19-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

D/L movies or VOD may someday take the place of rentals, but not the place of physical media that one can own and whip out to watch anytime they want. Even if the D/L times improve (which are still a long way from prime time), the space to store video is huge and expensive. There are also all the copyright issues as well. So I don't think either of these options are going spell trouble for HD-DVD/BD, anytime soon.

Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page