For those who own both formats, which do you prefer? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 99 Old 08-06-2007, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own the HD A2 & the PS3. The PS3 allows me to see flicks in 1080p whereas I can only access 1080i thru the Toshiba. I'm not sure I see a whole lot of difference to be honest, but I've only had the PS3 for a couple of weeks & haven't done enough comparing.

Clearly though, the audio from the PS3 is markedly superior to that of the A2. I'm connected via optical on both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 08-06-2007, 07:08 PM

HD DVD as it's menus and extra features are better.
post #93 of 99 Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 AM

what can i say....

if you watch hd dvd or bluray via one player (like a htpc) they look exactly the same. I have never spotted any difference pq wise, i could account to one format. If they "look" different on a htpc, it´s a software related issue (for example power dvd using different renderers and therefore different video levels for each media) and this can be adjusted.

dooooooooooooooooooooooomed!
post #94 of 99 Old 08-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

I'm a bit confused guys. Does anyone know if it's possible to get "true" "DTS HD" with a receiver that can internally process it (like the Onkyo 875) when using the Toshiba HD XA2? I ask because the specs on the XA2 say that it supports DTS HD "core only", but I think this refers to the PLAYER'S ability to decode it. If that same signal is sent to the receiver (like the 875), which supports DTS HD, would it then not be limited to the "core" signal only? (which I understand means it's not "lossless"). Hope that my question makes sense
post #95 of 99 Old 08-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm in the market for a DVD player to be used with a new Sony 40" XBR2. The TV will be put in a room where we exercise rather than in our primary viewing area. Also, we generally rent movies rather than buy them, and we like older classics rather than the glitzy action films that are used to show off these HD players. From this discussion, it sounds like it would make more sense to get an inexpensive SD player now, and to wait until things shake out (and prices drop) before buying either type of HD player.

Any thoughts?
post #96 of 99 Old 08-07-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYKOS View Post

Clearly though, the audio from the PS3 is markedly superior to that of the A2. I'm connected via optical on both.

Thats strange. Because using the optical out the audio from the PS3 is a lot inferior to the Toshiba A2. The PS3 delivers PCM 5.1 only as PCM 2.0 via optical. Not nice. Well even though it usually finds some 640k DD track that it can output through the optical. The A2 in contrast is able to transcode lossless sound into a 1,500k DTS track. The A3 kicks a*** in the audio division.

Maybe the PS3 sound is perceived as better because the volume level is higher. Thats a very old trick to sell mediocre audio equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(prefering HD DVD which is build on quality while blu-ray is build on marketing)
CETERUM CENSEO BLU-RAYEM ESSE DELENDAM!
post #97 of 99 Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 PM

The PS3 is noticeably inferior to the A2 when it comes to sound. Brykos, please educate yourself before posting false information. It makes you sound like a Blue-Ray nuthugger.
post #98 of 99 Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I own the Tosh XA-1 and the PS3.

I also have some audio issues with the Tosh. I think it will be remedied once I upgrade to an hdmi receiver, but for now the audio is better from the PS3. I can't wait to upgrade. Hopefully sometime in the next 4-8 months.

There is no difference in video quality from these players. NONE.

Right now I prefer to use my PS3 because it is faster than the achingly slow Tosh and because of the already mentioned audio issues.

The remote on the Tosh is not so good, and neither is using the PS3 controller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #99 of 99 Old 08-12-2007, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbunnell View Post

The PS3 is noticeably inferior to the A2 when it comes to sound. Brykos, please educate yourself before posting false information. It makes you sound like a Blue-Ray nuthugger.

WTF are either one of you talking about, both on optical, so long as the bit-rate of the movie is the same...they sound the same...

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page