LG Bh100 problem-question? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 07-18-2007, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. New guy here. I have a problem with my BH 100 that I was hoping someone here could shed some light on. It will not play two Blu Ray discs. They are Premonition and The Messengers. They load, play the Blu Ray trailer, then go to the main movie menu. That's it. At that point if I try to press play or menu, I get the red circle with a line through it on the screen as if I am pressing a button that is not allowed. I have tried mulitple discs of both movies with the same result. I have tried the play button directly on the player and get the same. Every other HD or Blu Ray movie plays perfectly. Anyone else have this happen? On both I have given up and just rented the standard def version which played fine, but this is not acceptable on such an expensive machine. I thought the driver update that LG offered on their web site would be the answer, but I just checked and it has been removed with no mention of a driver or firmware download anywhere to be found. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-18-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post

Hi all. New guy here. I have a problem with my BH 100 that I was hoping someone here could shed some light on. It will not play two Blu Ray discs. They are Premonition and The Messengers. They load, play the Blu Ray trailer, then go to the main movie menu. That's it. At that point if I try to press play or menu, I get the red circle with a line through it on the screen as if I am pressing a button that is not allowed. I have tried mulitple discs of both movies with the same result. I have tried the play button directly on the player and get the same. Every other HD or Blu Ray movie plays perfectly. Anyone else have this happen? On both I have given up and just rented the standard def version which played fine, but this is not acceptable on such an expensive machine. I thought the driver update that LG offered on their web site would be the answer, but I just checked and it has been removed with no mention of a driver or firmware download anywhere to be found. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Update the firmware to the latest version and see if this will fix it. If not contact customer support and send the unit in to be checked out, also send in the blu ray disc you are having problems with.

Life is Good
post #3 of 41 Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I would like to update the firmware. Can anyone point me in the direction of the download?
post #4 of 41 Old 07-19-2007, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would like to update the firmware. Can anyone point me in the direction of the download?

us.lgservice.com; choose "drivers" then choose as product "dvd/video/set top" For subject insert "bh100." The latest FW version is 070711. You have to burn the ISO image to a DVD. You can download instructions at the same place where you download the driver.

BTW there is a thread in this forum for BH100 owners with a lot of good information. You should read through it when you have the time.
post #5 of 41 Old 07-19-2007, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Am on page 9 and just as you replied, I found the driver location...
post #6 of 41 Old 07-19-2007, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Am on page 9 and just as you replied, I found the driver location...

Good luck. I'm guessing the FW update will solve your problem.
post #7 of 41 Old 07-19-2007, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Just tried it and it won't play the disc. It just ejects it after about 30 seconds. I called LG and they are sending me a disc. Hopefully it works for my issue. It's too bad the disc I made won't work. Then the answer would be here now and I could send it out for service if the problem persists. I guess I'll know in 5-10 business days. Thanks again for the help.
post #8 of 41 Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just tried it and it won't play the disc. It just ejects it after about 30 seconds. I called LG and they are sending me a disc. Hopefully it works for my issue. It's too bad the disc I made won't work. Then the answer would be here now and I could send it out for service if the problem persists. I guess I'll know in 5-10 business days. Thanks again for the help.

Are you sure you burned the ISO image onto the disc? You can't just copy it over. Use Nero or DVDecryptor or one of those sorts of programs. IIRC you have to use a DVD R+ blank disc.
post #9 of 41 Old 07-19-2007, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

I used an RW. Maybe that was the problem. I did decompressed the file and burned according to the directions on LGs site using Sonic. I know it's a crap program, but it's what came with my Dell five years ago and works. Incidentally, has anyone else tried the two movies that won't play for me? It would be interesting to see if they play for anyone else as I seem to be the only one with this specific problem. Very frustraing to get to the main menu and not being allowed to press play.
post #10 of 41 Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used an RW. Maybe that was the problem. I did decompressed the file and burned according to the directions on LGs site using Sonic. I know it's a crap program, but it's what came with my Dell five years ago and works. Incidentally, has anyone else tried the two movies that won't play for me? It would be interesting to see if they play for anyone else as I seem to be the only one with this specific problem. Very frustraing to get to the main menu and not being allowed to press play.

I don't think using a RW would make any difference but it does have to be + (I think). I haven't tried those BRs so I can't help you there. Maybe just try a different blank DVD or a different burn program if you have one.
post #11 of 41 Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:

I use RW to update the firmware so that is not the issue. I used Nero to burn the image to the disc. Unless it just did not like the brand, you could try another brand or just erase the disc and try again.

Life is Good
post #12 of 41 Old 07-19-2007, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it. I still can't update and I imagine it is the burning software rather than the disc brand. No biggie. The LG disc should be in in a week and all the other movies I've rented have played without issue.
post #13 of 41 Old 07-20-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Update... on the update. I downloaded freeware ISO image burning software and tried to make the update disc again. Success and yes it cured the problem. Premonition now works. I assume The Messengers would too but I've already returned it to Netflix. Thanks again everyone for the advice.
post #14 of 41 Old 07-20-2007, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Update... on the update. I downloaded freeware ISO image burning software and tried to make the update disc again. Success and yes it cured the problem. Premonition now works. I assume The Messengers would too but I've already returned it to Netflix. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Good news. Enjoy your new player.
post #15 of 41 Old 07-22-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmaster View Post

I use RW to update the firmware so that is not the issue. I used Nero to burn the image to the disc. Unless it just did not like the brand, you could try another brand or just erase the disc and try again.

I'm using NERO and can't get the disk to work. I can't find anything in NERO that says anything about .ISO files. So I used the 'Data Copy' to DVD mode. It didn't work. If I select the video copy mode, it doesn't recognise the .ISO extension. Any hints? Anyone?

post #16 of 41 Old 07-22-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Never mind. I got it to work with a program called "Magic ISO".

post #17 of 41 Old 08-02-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

New problem. At the start of chapter 17 of a brand new copy of 300 in HD, the movie locked. Could not rewind or FF. Tried it a few times. No luck. Had to flip it and watch the rest in DVD as it was a dual format disc. Not a happy camper. Will have to try it again in Blu Ray as 300 is offered in both and worth a second watch one way or another.
post #18 of 41 Old 08-02-2007, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

New problem. At the start of chapter 17 of a brand new copy of 300 in HD, the movie locked. Could not rewind or FF. Tried it a few times. No luck. Had to flip it and watch the rest in DVD as it was a dual format disc. Not a happy camper. Will have to try it again in Blu Ray as 300 is offered in both and worth a second watch one way or another.

I have the BluRay version and it played flawlessly.

post #19 of 41 Old 08-17-2007, 12:31 AM

For Mac users, download the drivers as indicated above, but save them to your Documents or Desktop folders. OS X is smart enought to uncompress the files if you have Stuff-it installed. Then open another Finder window, insert a blank DVD-R disk into your Mac, drag and drop the files update00.bin and LG-BH_LX100001BN.ROM to your blank DVD in the other Finder window and click Burn. Then follow the instructions from the drivers site listed above to upgrade your BH-100

I just did this and it worked fine - was able to watch Premonition.
post #20 of 41 Old 08-17-2007, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

300 Blu Ray works fine. Must have been a hddvd issue.
post #21 of 41 Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

It's nice to see LG seems to be supporting this product. Looking forward to a 2nd gen announcment from them.

I was also thinking that, in the case of 300, if I had this player I would use the Blu-Ray version since the HD DVD is a combo disc and the bonus stuff from the HD DVD won't work. I however have 300 on HD DVD because of those reasons lol, I wanted the bonus stuff for this film and I wanted to use the DVD side so I could make a copy for my ipod. I do find the combo discs useful, but they tend to be quirky.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #22 of 41 Old 09-21-2007, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Well, new issues. I've just noticed that the audio is off on HD and DVD and is only on time in BluRay. Any new software available lately??
post #23 of 41 Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, new issues. I've just noticed that the audio is off on HD and DVD and is only on time in BluRay. Any new software available lately??

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean that there are lip sync problems, I assume that you are experiencing that using the analog audio connections. You should search the sticky thread on this player as there is discussion of this issue there. It appears to occur only when you stop or pause a disc and then restart. It is not a common issue for the delay to occur when using the digital audio.

The latest FW is July 11, 2007.
post #24 of 41 Old 09-21-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Nope. Using digital with no pauses.
post #25 of 41 Old 09-22-2007, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope. Using digital with no pauses.

So what exactly is the problem you are experiencing with the sound? It's not a lip sync issue?
post #26 of 41 Old 09-22-2007, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, that is the problem. Lip sync timing is off. Only on DVD and HD, not BluRay. Even if I don't pause at all. Stopping or ejecting doesn't help. What I was wondering was if there is a new firmware update since I last posted and you all helped me download and burn the last update.
post #27 of 41 Old 09-22-2007, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. You don't have a lip sync adjustment on your receiver or pre-pro?

The latest FW is july 11. I don't remember which one you installed.
post #28 of 41 Old 09-22-2007, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Looking at the top of the thread, it seems I installed 070711. Nope, no adjustment available on my receiver.
post #29 of 41 Old 09-22-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking at the top of the thread, it seems I installed 070711. Nope, no adjustment available on my receiver.

Hmm. You have the latest FW. Is your receiver doing some special processing of the sound that might slow it down?Don't know what to suggest. Sorry.
post #30 of 41 Old 09-22-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Receiver is just an old Sony STRDE945. Oh well. Thanks for trying Jack.
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page