Buffalo external USB Blu-ray HD DVD combo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The LG dual-format Super Multi Blue drive for PCs, which allows to play both HD DVD and Blu-ray disk appeared in a external Buffalo drive, which connects through USB.

Buffalo external USB Blu-ray HD DVD combo

Sadly only anounced to be released in Japan, no word about the rest of the world yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-21-2008, 01:24 PM

Looks like this product is now offered by Circuit City for about $150 off standard Blue-Ray player pricing. There's an Amazon hit in Google for the Buffalo BTH BRHC6316U2 containing a review that suggests great potential, but also great difficulty due to DRM issues. Anyone willing to be more specific what needs to be done to get this thing working? Thanks.

Chuck
post #3 of 8 Old 10-02-2008, 04:16 AM

Well i have the item for a week now and just burn my 1st movie back up in blu ray (took 5 hours in Nero vision). Well as of now it plays all my HD DVD movies and Blu ray movies with no problem. And one of my only complaint is when i play a standard DVD movie it sounds like a jet plane. The other is like I stated before that it took me several hours to back up a Blu Ray movie. The problem that im facing is that the blank media is still expensive (Dual layer ones)and it seems that the movies go well over the 25 gig with no real compressing program like Clone DVD2 to make it fit in 25gig Blu Ray disk. I know they are other compressing tools to make it well under 25gig but you have to use several of these progams and most likely will lose the quality that in Blu Ray. After reading the forums of these programs, its really for burning Blu Ray movies to fit into regular standard DVD5 and DVD9. Hopefully soon Slysoft bring out something like CloneDVD for the Blu Ray and the blank media gets much cheaper. But I am really quite happy with the purchase and the build of the product because the 1st thing i did at CC was look up where was it manufactured and was happy that it was built in Japan. Well i hope some questions were answered about the product and feel free to pm me about any other questions about it.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-02-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Any chance you could hook this to a PS3 via USB and have it work as an HD-DVD player?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #5 of 8 Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 AM

well i haven't tried hooking up to a PS3 yet but my thinking that it will not work because it probably needs a driver for it. But i will try and let you know if it works.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-02-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

Any chance you could hook this to a PS3 via USB and have it work as an HD-DVD player?

~Josh

No way.

It wouldn't have a clue what to do with the structure of the disc.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-17-2008, 02:50 PM

Have had the Buffalo external Blu-Ray/HDDVD player/burner for about a month or so, and so far can't play or record Blu-Ray disks. Actually returned one unit, and when it was replaced I haven't been able to get this one functioning either. Have tried it on two laptops, one with Vista 64, and the other with XP OS's. I have both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movie disks, and neither works. (They do work on my Sony Blu-Ray player and my XBox 360, respectively) At least with the replacement unit the HD disks do show up on the Nero menu, meaning the software recognizes that the disk is in the drive. Just won't play them. I'm guessing that there's some setting somewhere that I'm unaware of. If anyone has gotten their Buffalo up and running, please tell me about your experieces. My Buffalo drive is the USB-only version, no firewire capability.

Thanks!
Max
post #8 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxheadspace View Post

Have had the Buffalo external Blu-Ray/HDDVD player/burner for about a month or so, and so far can't play or record Blu-Ray disks. Actually returned one unit, and when it was replaced I haven't been able to get this one functioning either. Have tried it on two laptops, one with Vista 64, and the other with XP OS's. I have both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movie disks, and neither works. (They do work on my Sony Blu-Ray player and my XBox 360, respectively) At least with the replacement unit the HD disks do show up on the Nero menu, meaning the software recognizes that the disk is in the drive. Just won't play them. I'm guessing that there's some setting somewhere that I'm unaware of. If anyone has gotten their Buffalo up and running, please tell me about your experieces. My Buffalo drive is the USB-only version, no firewire capability.

Thanks!
Max

I'va had mine since early November 08 and it's working beautifuly with both my desktop and laptop. Burned like 20 BD-Rs so far (mostly Memorex 4x ).
Only disc that won't play is the Katyn HD-DVD, which for me only works on the 360 add-on drive.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page