LG BH200 vs. Samsung BDP-UP5000? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 141 Old 02-02-2008, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to say, I LOVE my BH200. So far it has played with no issues. I think I have a newer one or something. No video or audio dropouts, and the upconversion is better than my HD-XA2. I love being able to put everything in one player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 141 Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
What is the latest on blu-ray/hd dvd combo players? Are there improved models coming out in 2008? Or are they going to be phased out, since HD DVD is all but dead?
post #93 of 141 Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I would love for someone to explain to me why Panasonic can come out with a player that can do all the audio codecs (and do them properly) for a price of $500 when these dual format players can't do it at twice the price.

Additionally, these players have had more developmental time than the Panasonic did. So is this just a question of smarter engineers at Panasonic?

I think Panasonic is a great brand name.
All my VCR's(For those that remember them)were Pannys and never had an ounce of trouble ever.

I support Region-Free/OAR!
post #94 of 141 Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I have a Panasonic boombox whose tape deck turned to crap well before its time.
post #95 of 141 Old 02-22-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Both the samsung and LG players are on sale for $600 at Vann's. Which would you get, for the same price? Do both output 720p over component for BD and HD-DVds (don't care about SD DVDs)? Do both output analog 2-ch audio?
post #96 of 141 Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Both the samsung and LG players are on sale for $600 at Vann's. Which would you get, for the same price? Do both output 720p over component for BD and HD-DVds (don't care about SD DVDs)? Do both output analog 2-ch audio?

Yes to 720P and analog 2 channel for both. The Sammy has more potential but LG is backing theirs better at the moment.
I have the Sammy and haven't had a problem as of yet.
post #97 of 141 Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

I have a LG BH200. It has been problem free on HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and DVDs via HDMI. I have not used it over component. Some owners have reported audio dropouts on DVDs. LG has publicly stated it will continue to support its dual players. The BH200 support forum is much quieter than the Samsung forum. At the moment I feel that the BH200 has fewer playability issues. The LG also has all the hardware requirements (1 GB internal memory, USB port, ethernet connection) to meed Blu-Ray Profile 2 specs, assuming LG issues the the proper firmware.

Which player ultimately is the better player depends on ones requirements (for example Samsung has 5.1 analog audio outputs; the LG has 2 channel analog audio outputs) and the support each company provides in issuing firmware upgrades to support the advanced audio codecs and correct playability issues.
post #98 of 141 Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 AM

so for now, it seems like the general population perfers LG BH200 over the sammy up5k? Im planning on buying one of these sometime this week, having a hard time to decide which one I want. I've heard sammy is giving up on theirs so firmware updates might stop, Which makes me lean towards the bh200 more
post #99 of 141 Old 04-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Liked: 12
I chose the BH200 because it has a better chance of becoming Profile 2.0 than the Sammy, as it has a USB port that you can use to expand the Blu-ray persistent storage.
post #100 of 141 Old 04-08-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

It will be interesting to see what happens next month when Samsung are supposed to be releasing Firmware to enable theirs to support Lossless Audio and Profile 1.1. Likewise LG are supposed to be re-releasing their Beta March firmware.

It maybe an idea to wait now to see which one then comes out on top. I have a feeling LG will still be the way to go.
post #101 of 141 Old 04-08-2008, 03:55 PM

Crutchfield has the BH200 for $530.
post #102 of 141 Old 04-08-2008, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schandorsky View Post

SOLD! Thanks, my friend. With the $20 coupon, it's $509 shipped from a reliable vendor with no sales tax. Problem of "do I or don't I keep my HD-DVD's....SOLVED."

post #103 of 141 Old 04-09-2008, 11:58 AM

@ fotoconnections its 449 and shipping is 19.99 brand new sealed in box
i think thats where i will be getting mine from
post #104 of 141 Old 04-09-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

It maybe an idea to wait now to see which one then comes out on top. I have a feeling LG will still be the way to go.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my home theater setup
post #105 of 141 Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM

vinnie recommended the sammy 5k cause he owns it and he doesnt have much problems with it, so far I havnt heard much on video drop outs on sammy, vs lg bh200. I'm hearing alot of video drop outs, maybe i'm not up to date but is Bh200's still having issues with video drop outs?
post #106 of 141 Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Both have their problems.

The LG just has guaranteed Lossless support and better customer services, who're still supporting combos and haven't gone on record to say they'll be cancelling their Combo. I personally think this gives the BH200 the edge.

If it turns out next month the Samsung also support Lossless and it's problems discs are fixed I'd get that, as ultimately I would prefer analogue outputs, but now I am considering them a bonus.
post #107 of 141 Old 04-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnkim View Post

@ fotoconnections its 449 and shipping is 19.99 brand new sealed in box
i think thats where i will be getting mine from

Better idea is to stay away from fotoconnection...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonjava View Post

Thanks for the reply. But unfortunately FotoConnection is a scam, I would stay away from them.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0226.htm

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0066.htm

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/FotoConnection_1

http://www.complaintsboard.com/?search=fotoconnection

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...7&changemode=1

edit: here's another:
http://search.newyork.bbb.org/report...age=1&id=79450
post #108 of 141 Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schandorsky View Post

Yes. Can get thru Crutchfield a BH200 for around $500. with a couple of coupons and such. Is this a good price and worth getting instead of a SA Blu-ray? Already have an A2 and A30 but would use the 200 as my main unit. I see the Sammy is a bit less expensive, but not sure about problems that it has compared to the 200's problem and possible fixes. Thanks for any help. I plan on getting a Onkyo 605 a bit later. so right now am unable to completely use just an HDMI cable for both audio/video.
post #109 of 141 Old 05-16-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post

I have a LG BH200. It has been problem free on HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and DVDs via HDMI. I have not used it over component. Some owners have reported audio dropouts on DVDs. LG has publicly stated it will continue to support its dual players. The BH200 support forum is much quieter than the Samsung forum. At the moment I feel that the BH200 has fewer playability issues. The LG also has all the hardware requirements (1 GB internal memory, USB port, ethernet connection) to meed Blu-Ray Profile 2 specs, assuming LG issues the the proper firmware.

Which player ultimately is the better player depends on ones requirements (for example Samsung has 5.1 analog audio outputs; the LG has 2 channel analog audio outputs) and the support each company provides in issuing firmware upgrades to support the advanced audio codecs and correct playability issues.

Thx for your post!

Anything on "fan noise"?
One better (quieter) than the other?
Thx.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #110 of 141 Old 05-16-2008, 06:08 PM

I didn't notice much about fan on either, but my 5k actually has louder "drive reading disc" noise.
post #111 of 141 Old 05-16-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobff View Post

I didn't notice much about fan on either, but my 5k actually has louder "drive reading disc" noise.

+1 I cant even hear my players fan, but when the disc is loading it is sometimes very loud....Once the movie starts though it is whisper quiet (IMO)......I havent though sat with my ear to it during a movie to actually listen to it, I have always watched from 7-12+ feet away
post #112 of 141 Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you, both.

Hey pobff, I'm an East Bay guy; do you go too Rasputin in Berkeley for used HD discs?
Or Amoeba in The City?

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #113 of 141 Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 PM

I've had both. "Have had" because, I returned, the LG. Returned the LG, because I also have a PS3 and an A-35, so I decided to wait out the FW for the Sammy. However, I chose the Sammy over the LG, but that was before the LG got all the hacks. I am currently using a different player for my different region movies. Besides those foreign movies and a few SD movies like the Star Wars, Back to the Future, Lord of the Rings and Indiana Jones, I found out, that I don't have any desire to buy or watch Standard Def. movies. So, I don't take much advantage of the Reon. I also don't care about the analog outputs /also, I don't think the Samsung will ever enable internal decoding for DTS-MA/ so I'll bitstream everything. The Sammy is bigger, with louder fan /comparing to the LG, believe me/. The USB on the LG, is a really nice touch too. It kills, me that the LG doesn't have the Reon inside. The Qdeo is good, but I've seen the Reon at work and don't want to settle for less. What I hate about Samsung is their lack of responsibility, total disregard about their customers interest and no promise for support about their product.
I have a Samsung tv, that I now have a problem with, and God help me with dealing with Samsung. They tried to convince me that their tv is not broken, but that's how it is supposed to be /about a problem that is well documented over the internet... that, also reminds me of their favorite answer about the 2 channel Dolby-True HD, sneaky..../
However, next week, after the FW for the Sammy is released, I'll make my final decision. I have the awful feeling, that something is going to be wrong. /like there'll be no bitstream for DTS-MA/, so with 3 words "I hate Samsung". The player has the potential, but not backed up by its creators. It's sad...
Talk to you next week. Good luck to us all
post #114 of 141 Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Thank you, both.

Hey pobff, I'm an East Bay guy; do you go too Rasputin in Berkeley for used HD discs?
Or Amoeba in The City?

Nah. Berkeley's too far from South Bay. I normally get my stuff online.
post #115 of 141 Old 07-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

What's the latest on the LG BH200--folks who own them still happy with their purchase?

And where's the best place to grab one cheap now? Cursory search turned up Buy.com as a maintstream reseller that would allow free shipping and no sales tax--any better options (from reputable dealers)?

Champion of truth, beauty and misunderstood giant killer robots.
post #116 of 141 Old 07-13-2008, 10:36 AM

I'm still happy with both purchases. Seems like recently, the best place is either check your local Best Buy or Circuit City for any remaining stock, or ebay.
post #117 of 141 Old 07-13-2008, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Qdeo is good, but I've seen the Reon at work and don't want to settle for less.

Don't undersell the QDeo. I have both the Reon and the QDeo and it's like apples and oranges. In fact there are some elements about the QDeo I prefer to the Reon as well.
post #118 of 141 Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
PGM had both to compare as well. He found the sharpness of the REON more suitable to his taste. Horses for courses, etc.
post #119 of 141 Old 07-15-2008, 04:18 PM

I now own 2 5k-s. Very happy, very lucky, no major problems. November and Feb. built date. Don't want to argue with anybody, just letting those that still haven't decided, that so far so good...
post #120 of 141 Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker View Post

What's the latest on the LG BH200--folks who own them still happy with their purchase?

I've had my BH200 for awhile now and I'm very happy with it. Never had a dropout or issue with BD or HD DVD except for the special features of Superman Returns on HD DVD. It still will occasionally (1 out of 20 maybe) not play a DVD and I have to restart the player to get it to play. No idea why this happens, but as soon as I turn it off and on again it plays fine.

Outside of that no issues at all.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page