LG BH200 vs. Samsung BDP-UP5000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 141 Old 09-04-2007, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Alright, which one of these Korean dual format player? They both seem to have similar capabilities and prices.

Full Blu-ray and HD DVD compatible including HDi
1080P24 for both Blu-ray and HD DVD (confirmed for Samsung)
Profile 1.1 compatible (likely for LG, ? Samsung)
Advanced audio codecs including TrueHD and dtsHD MA (FW upgradable for Samsung)
HDMI 1.3

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Well this one is announced to support profile 2.0, if that's important. OTOH, I think the Sammy looks better; and have read mixed reviews of the existing LG dual player. I'll have to see more than what's in the first announcement.

Hal
post #3 of 141 Old 09-05-2007, 12:07 AM

I think it is a bit too early to make this choice since both aren't available yet.
If you still watch SD-DVDs, the Reon in the Samsung might be an interesting fact too.
post #4 of 141 Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
seems like a no go for the LG. NO DTS-MA support!!
post #5 of 141 Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

seems like a no go for the LG. NO DTS-MA support!!

I think a better question is why aren't we saying "Don't Buy Fox BD's until they offer more than just DTS-MA"?

No player on the market can utilize the DTS-MA so why are all of their titles coming out with it only for lossless?
post #6 of 141 Old 09-05-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrad View Post

I think a better question is why aren't we saying "Don't Buy Fox BD's until they offer more than just DTS-MA"?

No player on the market can utilize the DTS-MA so why are all of their titles coming out with it only for lossless?

Don t know why and it IS a fact that they are realsing them and keep releasing them in the near future. Boycotting has no sense, people will still buy them. So.......I want a player with DTS-MA decoder
post #7 of 141 Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrad View Post

Well, most of this year's crop of receivers do decode DTS MA; and the version of the 1.3 HDMI chip required to send it out via bitstream is now being announced on several of the new players. For some reason it seems like DTS prefers this approach. I'll think we'll see more of the bitstream-capable players before we see a lot of decoders built into players.

Hal
post #8 of 141 Old 09-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe I missed it but it looked like the LG also lacked Dolby TrueHD. Regardless now we've got some competition in the dual player market so hopefully we'll see the prices come down a bit.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #9 of 141 Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

You are right, they don't mention it the the press release. It has to have a TrueHD decoder for at least 2 channel, though, as HD DVD specs require it. Anyway, if in fact it can stream advanced codecs over HDMI 1.3 then it also could be decoded in the receiver.

Hal
post #10 of 141 Old 09-05-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Any confirmation on 2.0? If so I guess its 1.1 (at best) and HQV in an attractive box vs. 2.0 and ....uh...Marvell's Qdeo...packaged in a Zenith VCR box.

How's the overall reliability of LG vs Samsung? I've never owned either except for a short stint with the BH100 (which was actually ok).
post #11 of 141 Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

Any confirmation on 2.0? If so I guess its 1.1 (at best) and HQV in an attractive box vs. 2.0 and ....uh...Marvell's Qdeo...packaged in a Zenith VCR box.

How's the overall reliability of LG vs Samsung? I've never owned either except for a short stint with the BH100 (which was actually ok).

Profile 2.0 is officially "BD-Live". As that is mentioned in the press release I'd say the LG is got all profiles. The chip in the Sammy (Broadcom 7440) supports advanced profiles, but Sammy hasn't announced support for any.

So the LG gives all profiles of BD, but (apparently) no advanced audio decoding and a "non-name brand" video scaling solution. And the Sammy gives you TrueHD, ability to stream DTS-MA (maybe after a firmware upgrade), possible DTS-MA onboard (with firmware upgrade), excellent upconverting chip (Reon); but no advanced profiles, and not even an announcement of a possibility of firmware upgrade to advanced profiles (though it seems like it has all the hardware; or at least most of it).

Oh, and the Sammy looks way cooler .

Hal
post #12 of 141 Old 09-05-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

Samsung is rated slightly higher among electronic brands than LG in Korea. However, LG makes better appliances, and much preferred over Samsung in Korea for things like refrigerators and washers. For DVDs and TVs, Samsung (PAVV) is preferred over LG (XCANVAS).

From Wikepedia:

Samsung is top rated of global electronics brands in various reports. In August 2005, BusinessWeek rated Samsung as the Number 1 consumer electronics brand in the world with revenue topping 75$ billion. In 2006, Business Week rating Samsung is ranking 20th of global brands. Business Week also ranked Samsung as #12 in a ranking of the "Top 100 Most Innovative Companies" in a special report published April 24, 2006. In January 2007, BrandFinance report ranking the company number 1 in electronics and 32nd overall brands.

LG's efforts to become one of the world's top three electronics company by 2010 is annually reflected by its high revenue growth and increased brand value - by 2005, LG was considered a Top 100 global brand, and just a year later, LG recorded an impressive brand growth of 14%. Now the world's largest plasma panel manufacturer, its joint venture, LG.Philips LCD, is the world's top maker of liquid-crystal displays for TVs.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #13 of 141 Old 09-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

post #14 of 141 Old 09-06-2007, 03:22 PM

As I said in another thread, the BH200 has lost interest for me...it only seems to have 2 analog audio outputs in the photos shown at engadethd.
I am waiting for the samsung player reviews...
post #15 of 141 Old 09-07-2007, 04:10 AM

Unless the LG can beet the Samsung on price, I don't think it has a chance.
Not to mention, the common consumer will already recognize the "Samsung" name for it's HDTV's. Might not mean much to us, but it should mean a lot to your average joe.
post #16 of 141 Old 09-07-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I own the Samsung 1200, and quite frankly, it is a POS. It has trouble reading discs, and the sound in general is mediocre at best. The picture IS good when it works. Add the fact that people are complaining about their customer support (don't expect much in the way of FW updates), and I can't recommend that company to anyone.
The LG is 1.1 and 2.0 compliant, and the Sammy 5000 isn't. Frankly, if I have to buy another player, in case one of mine dies, I'll seriously look into the LG 200.
J
post #17 of 141 Old 09-07-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

I own the Samsung 1200, and quite frankly, it is a POS. It has trouble reading discs, and the sound in general is mediocre at best. The picture IS good when it works. Add the fact that people are complaining about their customer support (don't expect much in the way of FW updates), and I can't recommend that company to anyone.
The LG is 1.1 and 2.0 compliant, and the Sammy 5000 isn't. Frankly, if I have to buy another player, in case one of mine dies, I'll seriously look into the LG 200.
J

Big J,

has this been confirmed? I know the Sammy has the hardware to do 1.1 AND 2.0, but it may be missing the software to do it. as far as the Samsung brand goes, I am a fan of them. I have an 61HLS88W and havent had a problem with it yet, if you take a look at the appliance boards the Samsung products are gaining in popularity as well. I dont have anything bad to say about them. I for one (if the end price is right) will be picking up a Sammy5000 as it is (at least on paper) the best dual player that will be available. I dont have anything bad to say about LG though they are a good company, its the lack of analog outputs(among other things) that is the deal breaker for me though.
post #18 of 141 Old 09-09-2007, 01:26 AM

Actually Marvell's scaling chip is the second generation of the scaler that was used in Panasonic Blu-ray player from National Semiconductor and it is very much comparable to Reon.
post #19 of 141 Old 09-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Big J,

has this been confirmed? I know the Sammy has the hardware to do 1.1 AND 2.0, but it may be missing the software to do it. as far as the Samsung brand goes, I am a fan of them. I have an 61HLS88W and havent had a problem with it yet, if you take a look at the appliance boards the Samsung products are gaining in popularity as well. I dont have anything bad to say about them. I for one (if the end price is right) will be picking up a Sammy5000 as it is (at least on paper) the best dual player that will be available. I dont have anything bad to say about LG though they are a good company, its the lack of analog outputs(among other things) that is the deal breaker for me though.

I'm guessing Big J is referring to the lack of updates Samsung has provided for its Blu-Ray players, which I agree is really sad. So why should we think things will be different in the future? I have sent several e-mails myself to Samsung asking about the issue with Weeds Season 2 and I have got zero response. For the most part I really like my 1200, I have had the issue with Deja Vu and Weeds 2 but everything else has worked really great for me so far.

Thanks Richard

post #20 of 141 Old 09-10-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws_kahuna View Post

I have sent several e-mails myself to Samsung asking about the issue with Weeds Season 2 and I have got zero response.

Don't want to be sour now, but I think you're a bit naive thinking you are getting a reply from a hardware manufacturer.
In my country, Sony, Pioneer and w.h.y. don't even provide a consumers' telephone number, just an endless automated merry-go-round...they just can't be bothered!
It's sad, really...
post #21 of 141 Old 09-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barend View Post

Don't want to be sour now, but I think you're a bit naive thinking you are getting a reply from a hardware manufacturer.
In my country, Sony, Pioneer and w.h.y. don't even provide a consumers' telephone number, just an endless automated merry-go-round...they just can't be bothered!
It's sad, really...

Maybe I am being naive but when it's right there on their support website (about half way down) to ask a question via e-mail I expect some kind of response.

Thanks Richard

post #22 of 141 Old 09-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Nox
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Big J,

CNet confirms the LG is 1.1 compliant. Though, it doesn't say anything about 2.0. But with the HD-DVD spec, it does have network. It might be safe to assume that it could support 2.0.

Only time will tell, that's for sure.

-David
post #23 of 141 Old 09-10-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Samsung all the way for me, the lack of analog sound outputs on the LG is a deal breaker. I'm not going to replace my perfectly good Parasound Halo C1 just so I can keep enjoying TrueHD...

I'm going to wait for the 1st reviews and the dust to settle a bit before investing about $795 into it though (hopefully we'll find street prices closer to the low 700s by end of the year).

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
post #24 of 141 Old 09-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post

CNet confirms the LG is 1.1 compliant. Though, it doesn't say anything about 2.0. But with the HD-DVD spec, it does have network. It might be safe to assume that it could support 2.0.

Only time will tell, that's for sure.

It's interesting that cnet would word their review that way. The LG press release for the BH200 claims that the player has "the capability to handle networked 'BD-Live' interactivity in forthcoming Blu-ray discs". BD-Live is the designation for Profile 2 capabilities. If the BH200 is indeed a Profile 2 player, cnet isn't wrong in saying that it will also support Profile 1.1 capabilities, but it seems weird (and misleading?) to me that they'd word it that way.
post #25 of 141 Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Actually Marvell's scaling chip is the second generation of the scaler that was used in Panasonic Blu-ray player from National Semiconductor

Yes. See their site at: Qdeo for details

For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
post #26 of 141 Old 10-26-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, way too much technical information. I'm actually looking at both and wondering which one is better myself. Brand doesn't hold too much value, just want to know which one has better/advanced features and better performance.

Any reviews on the Samsung compared to LG yet?

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
post #27 of 141 Old 10-26-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

It's interesting that cnet would word their review that way. The LG press release for the BH200 claims that the player has "the capability to handle networked 'BD-Live' interactivity in forthcoming Blu-ray discs". BD-Live is the designation for Profile 2 capabilities. If the BH200 is indeed a Profile 2 player, cnet isn't wrong in saying that it will also support Profile 1.1 capabilities, but it seems weird (and misleading?) to me that they'd word it that way.

The BH200 Manual says that it will support profile 2.
post #28 of 141 Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 PM

Now that we know that the Samsung will be profile 1.1 - ready, we're already hearing that its a travesty that it isn't profile 2.0 capable.

I know that a few Disney discs will have associated internet content in 2008, but i'd bet money that the content wont be exclusive to those who have the 2.0 players.

Hell, we'll most likely see more gateways into our homes so that people can sell us stuff - you know:

"Thanks for visiting our exclusive on - line content that you* alone have access to! Now run to your computer with your credit card...

*you as in 1.1 million hits to this web site"
post #29 of 141 Old 10-27-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Do they both send out DTS-MA / DD-HD via bitstream on HDMI?
post #30 of 141 Old 10-27-2007, 04:43 PM

My understanding is that LG's BD200 will pass HBR audio to a capable AVR. The upgrade to BDJ profile 2.0 will be available on LG's combo player soon after it becomes available.

Also, Samsung has delayed their second gen combo player till Q1 '08.

-Robert
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page