Denon to Release Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/DVD/SACD/DVD-A Universal Player Eventually- - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Can't believe I missed this-

http://www.listenup.com/content/part...dge.aug.07.php

Quote:
LU: Why did Denon go with Blu-ray rather than HD DVD?

JT: We decided to go Blu-ray because we found a partner that we can work with at this point in time quicker than we could to do HD DVD. We're not picking one format over the other we want to make that very clear. We happen to have a partner that we've worked with for years, and they wanted to work with us first, and so it just was like a nice marriage. The door is wide open for HD DVD, and as many have said, the market's going to tell us where we need to go. In our particular instance, our goal is to have a true universal audio/video player. All audio formats, including SACD and DVD-Audio, as well as HD DVD and Blu-ray video.

LU: So you would consider doing a combo player with Blu-ray and HD DVD?

JT: That's probably our number one consideration at this point in time. They're just starting to come out from some of the major players obviously, Samsung has introduced theirs. They'll be out this fall, while the LG player, you know, it's not a true HD DVD player it's not a licensed HD DVD product. LG has to make their own logo, it doesn't display menus for movies, and all this other stuff. So Samsung's going to be the first true combo player. And hats off to them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quite an interesting article; describes what many thought Denon's ideas were back before they announced the BD player. Seems like a bit of an odd time to reveal some of these thoughts, so far away from the release of any product.

Hal
post #3 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 12:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Wow- from the article I would assume a combo is already being worked on...

" JT: But we're on Toshiba's doorstep every day talking to them, too. So, you know, we, as we've always tried to be with new technologies or new partners, to be as agnostic as possible, work with everybody, and give the customer the option--let them decide"
post #4 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 12:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Wow- from the article I would assume a combo is already being worked on...

" JT: But we're on Toshiba's doorstep every day talking to them, too. So, you know, we, as we've always tried to be with new technologies or new partners, to be as agnostic as possible, work with everybody, and give the customer the option--let them decide"

Very good find
post #5 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 01:04 AM

Pretty much as I've been saying, confirmed universal player with Realta for 08.
post #6 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting...a universal player
post #7 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2 View Post

Interesting...a universal player

In all the dead or dying niche formats! If only it did DVHS, then all the AVSer's would buy one!
post #8 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

our goal is to have a true universal audio/video player. All audio formats, including SACD and DVD-Audio, as well as HD DVD and Blu-ray video.

Hmmm... I wonder if they are trying to usurp some sales from the Samsung unit for people willing to wait for theirs?

I had already decided on an Oppo 980H + Samsung 5000 combo, but this makes me retihnk that!

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjtan View Post

In all the dead or dying niche formats! If only it did DVHS, then all the AVSer's would buy one!

That's funny! That is just the kind of player I want as long as it is not $2k. I was going to get the Samsung, now I will wait on this, if they announce it at CES.
post #10 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

In all the dead or dying niche formats!

Yeah. For those of us with thousands of those dying-format discs, this is great.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've yet to jump on the hi def disc because movies I've wanted to see were on either one or the other formats and the lack of hd audio on BR was really irking me. I will be getting a 1080p digital projector in Nov and with Samsung releasing the dual format with 1080p/24 for both and all audio formats except dts-ma, I gotta go for it. The Denon will most likely produce a very good dual player but I doubt it will be available before summer 08, and if they add the dvd-a and sacd formats it will definitely be more than the Samsung. If those audio formats are important to someone then the price may be worth it.
joe
post #12 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 06:46 PM

This is really old news. Talmadge said the same thing in February or so, but everyone ignored it.
post #13 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 170
@ this point of my life I would rather see Oppo come out with their Hd/BR ,SACS/DVD-A Uni player...in around 349ish instead of 2K plus player....

Djoel

post #14 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

I've yet to jump on the hi def disc because movies I've wanted to see were on either one or the other formats and the lack of hd audio on BR was really irking me. I will be getting a 1080p digital projector in Nov and with Samsung releasing the dual format with 1080p/24 for both and all audio formats except dts-ma, I gotta go for it. The Denon will most likely produce a very good dual player but I doubt it will be available before summer 08, and if they add the dvd-a and sacd formats it will definitely be more than the Samsung. If those audio formats are important to someone then the price may be worth it.
joe

Looks like DTS-HD MA is covered.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=948
post #15 of 50 Old 09-13-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

@ this point of my life I would rather see Oppo come out with their Hd/BR ,SACS/DVD-A Uni player...in around 349ish instead of 2K plus player....

Djoel

YES!!!! Although we are quite some time away from that, I would be all over it.
post #16 of 50 Old 09-14-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutfargas View Post

YES!!!! Although we are quite some time away from that, I would be all over it.

Hmm.. I wrote them an email mid Summer about a uni player, never got a response... I've heard they are quick in answering customers letters...I wonder if they had something on the works

Djoel

post #17 of 50 Old 09-21-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Don't forget SuperVHS. From what I understand, no D-VHS deck can do SuperVHS. Might as well throw in -everything-.

Also:

CD+G, CD+Extended Graphics, CD-MIDI, VideoCD, Super Video CD, PhotoCD, PictureCD, Philips CD-i, Enhanced CDs, and Enhanced CDs with text. And those karaoke CDs. And CD Video, Video Single Disc, etc etc...
post #18 of 50 Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoO View Post

Don't forget SuperVHS. From what I understand, no D-VHS deck can do SuperVHS. Might as well throw in -everything-.

Also:

CD+G, CD+Extended Graphics, CD-MIDI, VideoCD, Super Video CD, PhotoCD, PictureCD, Philips CD-i, Enhanced CDs, and Enhanced CDs with text. And those karaoke CDs. And CD Video, Video Single Disc, etc etc...

And it still would be smaller than the first gen HD DVD player from tosh and rca
post #19 of 50 Old 09-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Djoel

Absolutely, and I'd be willing to pay $700-$800 for it! Oppo has consistently shown lately that they are committed to their customers by offering them high quality, inexpensive players, with features that enthusiasts want. This isn't to say that Denon doesn't make great gear, I just don't see them releasing (based on their track record) an HD-universal player for less than $2K.

That being said, it's nice to see more manufacturers getting on board with these universal players. I'm all about being format-independent.

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #20 of 50 Old 09-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm.. I wrote them an email mid Summer about a uni player, never got a response... I've heard they are quick in answering customers letters...I wonder if they had something on the works

Doesn't look like it. I wrote them recently with the same question:

Quote:
We are looking into the new high definition player technology, but we have not decided on which format, if not both, we will eventually be supporting. As a small manufacturer, we can't afford to support a format which will not exist for several years.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
453 Ravendale Dr, Suite D Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

post #21 of 50 Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZiggyZ View Post

Doesn't look like it. I wrote them recently with the same question:

OUCH!....Well at least they wrote to you....They must have put me on their ignore list

DJoel

post #22 of 50 Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post

Absolutely, and I'd be willing to pay $700-$800 for it! Oppo has consistently shown lately that they are committed to their customers by offering them high quality, inexpensive players, with features that enthusiasts want. This isn't to say that Denon doesn't make great gear, I just don't see them releasing (based on their track record) an HD-universal player for less than $2K.

That being said, it's nice to see more manufacturers getting on board with these universal players. I'm all about being format-independent.

Man after reading BZiggyZ response from Oppo!A Uni player from the looks quite grim, I don't understand their approach with Oppo's reputation they can put this format war on it's ass. Then again there is reason why I don't own a CE company... Can you say bankrupt!!

Djoel

post #23 of 50 Old 09-21-2007, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm... I just got my Oppo 980H, and I chatted with the "guy at the desk" there for a bit.

My impression of that conversation was that "something" HD DVD and/or BD related was coming sometime next year.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

post #24 of 50 Old 09-21-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown View Post

Hmmm... I just got my Oppo 980H, and I chatted with the "guy at the desk" there for a bit.

My impression of that conversation was that "something" HD DVD and/or BD related was coming sometime next year.

DONT PLAY WITH MY FEELINGS.... But seriously what gave you that impression? What was the buzz words...

DJoel

post #25 of 50 Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Agreed - would love to see Oppo do something.

post #26 of 50 Old 09-22-2007, 02:44 AM

This seems a good player, but not for the SACD/DVDA fan- pic quality could be excellent.
Denon's analog sound has always been rather mediocre.
SACD is still doing rather well as classical music is concerned, many small labels still issue SACD's, some even exclusively (Linn Music).
Linn's Unidisk whilst being an SD player flies rings around Denon and Marantz for SACD sound quality, even more so for standard redbook discs.
post #27 of 50 Old 09-25-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But seriously what gave you that impression?

We got to talking about their business model. They won't do an expensive HD DVD or BD player. It really sounded like they are already looking into it, but they, a) want the market to mature a little bit more to guarentee more volume to drive profits for a cheaper player, and, b) they are still waiting for some of the hardware prices to come down (chip sets, lasers, and such).

post #28 of 50 Old 09-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

If this comes out in the next couple of years, I'd bet it'd have an early adopter price to match: $4-5K. Maybe dropping a bit if they knew another high end company was coming out with a similar product (in the hideous pricerange, of course).

BLU RAY - 53+PE (if your quantity is zero, you are missing out on too many movies)
HD DVD - 10 (if your quantity is zero, you are still missing out).
post #29 of 50 Old 09-28-2007, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoO View Post

Also:

We need to add an outboard drive for LaserDisc and a changer for those Beta tapes.....really needed a changer with their shorter run times you know.

Denon, are you listening??

If not maybe Apex....................................

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #30 of 50 Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
re: those older formats, the PC's DVDROM is pretty close to universal. i read somewhere that PC's DVDROM can "technically" read the SACD layer, but just aren't given any license to do anything with it.

so the PC's DVD or HD/Blu-Ra combo readers are the "TRUE" universal players. always have been, always will... except for the softwares that do or don't allow things to happen.

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page