Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 250 Old 11-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Most do nothing to the signal via the analog inputs.

OK, maybe true for mine and maybe not - I can't find reference one way or the other to this in my receiver's manual. Once I get the Sammy (which looks like January at this point), I can do some testing.

I cannot imagine that individual speaker level adjustments would require re-encoding. Ought this not to be just a levels bias to the speaker outputs?! If that is the case, then "doing nothing" when the 7.1 analog inputs are used would require the receiver to reset the levels bias to zero when these inputs are selected (which would seem kind dumb).

Now for time delay (aka speaker distance), I can see how maybe re-encoding might be needed, but I would also wonder how listening critical that would be if your seating and speakers are well set up and your room is not huge.

Frankly, A bigger concern would seem to be lip-synch issues. I am more concerned about that as my video goes thru a Crystallio II VP. In the case of movies, this will be mostly 1080p/24 passed but will need anamorphic stretch in many cases.

For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 250 Old 11-05-2007, 09:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Some receivers do, some don't -- but those that do have to re-digitize the analog input, process it, and then turn it back into analog signals. Those extra steps can audibly degrade the sound -- which is a big deal when talking about these super high rez/quality multi-channel PCM soundtracks.

I would think that your logic is a little backwards... I'm not trying to pick a fight... hear me out.

I'm not an audiophile, but isn't this logic correct:

If you take a garbage audio signal (say 28Kbps) and apply the extra A-D-A processing... and you ended up with a ~20Kbps signal... wouldn't that be MUCH more noticable than taking a 3Mbps signal applying the extra A-D-A processing and getting a ~2.8Mbps signal?

It would make sense to me that the better the signal, the 'more processing' it could take without dramatic loss.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want the extra step in my audio chain (hence running everything HDMI), but in terms of quality 'loss', I don't think that this extra step should be a deal breaker... especially when this unit (on paper) is in a class by itself. I haven't read reviews of the LG-200, so it may be as good as the Sammy 5000... but for ~$800 this player has more than enough to make up for a lack of analog settings IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang
Onkyo has a relatively tiny ecosystem to work in, and even in this, they are unmotivated and uncaring.
post #243 of 250 Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 102
CCDAstro: You are right about speaker levels. Even those processors that have pure-pass through tend to allow one to trim each level individually, in the analog domain, with few ill effects.

Your supposition that distance setting requires re-digitization of the signal is correct as well. Roughly, each foot of distance "error" (ie, the rear and front speakers not being exactly the same distance from the listening position) requires appox 1 millisecond of extra delay to compensate. Very few rooms can handle an ideal setup with equal distances for all speakers so having delay available greatly increases the realism of the soundtrack.

JU1CYFRU1T: This has not been my experience. Re-digitization of a high quality signal typically makes the sound less open, can mask details, and in the worst situations add in that faint-but-weird high end treble noise one hears on overly compressed music, and so on.

Note that all of this is just my opinion based upon my ears in a few different rooms, with a small variety of gear (no more than 4 or 5 different setups).

And apologies for taking the thread off topic!

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #244 of 250 Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

And apologies for taking the thread off topic!

Not all that much off-topic as one of the deciding factors between the Sammy and the LG is the analog 7.1 output(s) of the Sammy. This has helped me understand this issue better.

For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
post #245 of 250 Old 11-05-2007, 10:55 PM

I was @ BB today on unrelated business. Now the BD-UP5000 isn't even showing the release date in their internal database.
Discuss.

In life you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.
post #246 of 250 Old 11-05-2007, 11:36 PM

Blu-ray should really come out with profile 2.0 as quickly as posible
post #247 of 250 Old 11-05-2007, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch View Post

I was @ BB today on unrelated business. Now the BD-UP5000 isn't even showing the release date in their internal database.
Discuss.

is there anything really to discuss? I mean we heard from Samsung itself that we wont see the player until mid to late Dec. I think BB was just late in updating their system.
post #248 of 250 Old 11-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
i'll be getting this and sticking the 1400 under my bed(cant return it as i no longer have the box)

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #249 of 250 Old 01-20-2008, 12:38 AM

I just picked up this player today. I have it hooked via HDMI only to my receiver. Initially after making all the settings, it played rather well and sent the properly decoded signals to my receiver, largely just dd and dts. But, after just a bit, it stopped doing so. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or made a change, but my receiver simply shows HDMI throughput signal only via PCM. I can't get any bitstream audio to come through.

Anyone else experience this problem and/or have a suggestion?
post #250 of 250 Old 01-20-2008, 01:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeff View Post

I just picked up this player today. I have it hooked via HDMI only to my receiver. Initially after making all the settings, it played rather well and sent the properly decoded signals to my receiver, largely just dd and dts. But, after just a bit, it stopped doing so. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or made a change, but my receiver simply shows HDMI throughput signal only via PCM. I can't get any bitstream audio to come through.

Anyone else experience this problem and/or have a suggestion?

You may want to ask in the stickied owners thread. However, a few things to check -

1) What movies are you watching? Do they have a TrueHD or DTS-MA track?

2) Is the Digital Audio set to Bitstream (Audiophile) with PCM downmixing off and Dynamic Compression off?

3) Did you apply the latest firmware?

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page