LG GGC-H20LI Hybrid Bluray/HD-DVD Reader (PC Drive) is out and cheap! $299! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 327 Old 12-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Back in stock! 3AM EST

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 327 Old 12-29-2007, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

Back in stock! 3AM EST

Got it.

Semper Fi, Mac!
sgibson
post #183 of 327 Old 12-29-2007, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

Back in stock! 3AM EST

And now out of stock. Shoot!

I've got a $100 gift card that would bring the price down to $124
post #184 of 327 Old 12-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff1333 View Post

And now out of stock. Shoot!

I've got a $100 gift card that would bring the price down to $124

Don't give up on it yet. Early bird definitely gets the worm in this case. Thanks to the heads-up from Geronimo-USMC, I found it on BB site early this a.m. Check first thing in the a.m. (It was out of stock for one day, then back again.)

Good Luck!
sgibson
post #185 of 327 Old 12-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

BB sale's over, it was listed in the printed ad that LG drives were 25% off for the week of December 23 - 29. It just didn't specify what drive, anyways, I was able to get mines in the last day it was on sale, plus used some BB gift cards I got.
post #186 of 327 Old 12-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post

Got it.

Semper Fi, Mac!
sgibson

To any current owners:

Is the Cyberlink PowerDVD software that ships with the LG GGC-H20L a full version or a SE version that lacks all features of the retail PowerDVD Ultra?

regards,
sgibson
post #187 of 327 Old 01-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To any current owners:

Is the Cyberlink PowerDVD software that ships with the LG GGC-H20L a full version or a SE version that lacks all features of the retail PowerDVD Ultra?

regards,
sgibson

As noted here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12090345

It ships with OEM version of Cyberlink. Some users in this dual format/LG GGC-H20L thread ,claim lack of support for updates from both LG and Cyberlink for the OEM version.
post #188 of 327 Old 01-01-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

As noted here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12090345

It ships with OEM version of Cyberlink. Some users in this dual format/LG GGC-H20L thread ,claim lack of support for updates from both LG and Cyberlink for the OEM version.

Lack of support, period, from Cyberlink or LG. Mine keeps telling me it's an expired trial version and won't run at all. Cyberlink says to get support from LG and LG only offers to replace the disc.
post #189 of 327 Old 01-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Lack of support, period, from Cyberlink or LG. Mine keeps telling me it's an expired trial version and won't run at all. Cyberlink says to get support from LG and LG only offers to replace the disc.

Found an earlier thread that may help you:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post12113182

Quote "...
The OEM copy of Power DVD Ultra that comes with the GGC-H20L is NOT a trial version.

You need to uninstall the trial version if you installed it. You can usually then clean out your registry of all things PowerDVD and your Application Data directories to get rid of all references to the trial version and install the OEM version. If that doesn't work contact Cyberlink and they should be able to help you resolve...."

sgibson
post #190 of 327 Old 01-01-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

Found an earlier thread that may help you:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post12113182

Quote "...
The OEM copy of Power DVD Ultra that comes with the GGC-H20L is NOT a trial version.

You need to uninstall the trial version if you installed it. You can usually then clean out your registry of all things PowerDVD and your Application Data directories to get rid of all references to the trial version and install the OEM version. If that doesn't work contact Cyberlink and they should be able to help you resolve...."

sgibson

Thanks, but I have never installed a trail version of PDVD on this system. I did have an old install of PDVD-4 that was uninstalled previously. In any case, Cyberlink refuses to stand behind the OEM version.
post #191 of 327 Old 01-02-2008, 01:03 PM

Why does this happen when I watch HD or Bluray movies?
I'm using PowerDVD 7.3 3516
my equipment passes all of Cyberlinks advisors requirements.

The picture is fine if I use the minimal size window, but If I use anything bigger its blurs on the right and bottom sides.
LL
post #192 of 327 Old 01-03-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Thanks, but I have never installed a trail version of PDVD on this system. I did have an old install of PDVD-4 that was uninstalled previously. In any case, Cyberlink refuses to stand behind the OEM version.

Hey rd. My drive is supposed to arrive tomorrow, and I was planning on using the enclosed software. Could you elaborate re. the above underlined? Have you actually contacted them? I've been reading the reviews from the newegg site. Many have complained about the software, many have said it's okay, but this is the first I've heard of any complaints re. the software being a "trial version". Thanks.

marty
post #193 of 327 Old 01-03-2008, 03:25 PM

Ordered mine the other day. Can't wait to get it running. 260 from NCIX.
post #194 of 327 Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 PM

I'd like to pick up the GGC-H20L, but my HTPC does not live up to all of Cyberlink's specs. Specifically, my machine has a lowly Pentium D 805 processor. I've been running BeyondTV to capture and play OTA HD television through my Sony rear projection connected via DVI/HDMI @ 1080p and I get flawless, smooth video with my 7600GS card.

I've ordered an 8500GT card to get HDCP support, and was hoping to use this to watch HDDVD and Blu Ray, but now I see that Cyberlink wants a beefier processor. Do any of you have experience with running a little lean on CPU power? Does it break down completely, or just have some defects? Does Cyberlink make use of the video card's hardware acceleration, or does it try to do it all in software?

The 805 processor overclocks very nicely, even though it is hot, but unfortunately my mobo is an Intel D102GGC2, which does not OC. I could consider a new mobo to do OC, or a slightly upgraded processor to meet Cyberlink's minimal needs (but unfortunately this mobo does not support Core 2 Duo processors), so I will always have a hot processor with this mobo.

Any ideas or suggestions?
post #195 of 327 Old 01-04-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

This drive is back in stock at Best Buy. However, they jacked the price back up to $300. However, after receiving mine this week I would probably still be happy paying $300 for it. I will write a comprehensive review of it early next week.

This drive requires a lot of processor power. I would suggest a core2 at the minimum. However, the new ATI 3850 and 3870 cards are supposed to do wonders for older processors. I use an ATI 1600pro with my E6400 core2 and it is barely sufficient.
post #196 of 327 Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
RickBrass, get a new mobo and at least dual core CPU. If not you will never get smooth playback of all Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (but especially Blu-Ray) disks.

i7@ 3.6 - ATI 3870HD - Windows 7 64 bit - FFDShow with dScaler sharpen, AVISynth and Lancoz resize to BG808 with HD-144 lenses
post #197 of 327 Old 01-04-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBrass View Post

I'd like to pick up the GGC-H20L, but my HTPC does not live up to all of Cyberlink's specs. Specifically, my machine has a lowly Pentium D 805 processor. I've been running BeyondTV to capture and play OTA HD television through my Sony rear projection connected via DVI/HDMI @ 1080p and I get flawless, smooth video with my 7600GS card.

I've ordered an 8500GT card to get HDCP support, and was hoping to use this to watch HDDVD and Blu Ray, but now I see that Cyberlink wants a beefier processor. Do any of you have experience with running a little lean on CPU power? Does it break down completely, or just have some defects? Does Cyberlink make use of the video card's hardware acceleration, or does it try to do it all in software?

The 805 processor overclocks very nicely, even though it is hot, but unfortunately my mobo is an Intel D102GGC2, which does not OC. I could consider a new mobo to do OC, or a slightly upgraded processor to meet Cyberlink's minimal needs (but unfortunately this mobo does not support Core 2 Duo processors), so I will always have a hot processor with this mobo.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Try the ATI HD 2600XT or HD 3850 card before deciding to upgrade your mobo/proc. Good luck!
post #198 of 327 Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

This drive requires a lot of processor power. I would suggest a core2 at the minimum. However, the new ATI 3850 and 3870 cards are supposed to do wonders for older processors. I use an ATI 1600pro with my E6400 core2 and it is barely sufficient.

It's not the drive itself. It's the processor/video card decoding combination.
post #199 of 327 Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post

RickBrass, get a new mobo and at least dual core CPU. If not you will never get smooth playback of all Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (but especially Blu-Ray) disks.

FYI, Pentium D 805 is dual core, just an older architecture than Conroe. I have found it to outperform many people's low expectations, such as being easily able to play back 720p and 1080i HDTV content through my nvidia card connected @1080p via DVI/HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvista View Post

It's not the drive itself. It's the processor/video card decoding combination.

Yes, I agree, and the efficiency of the software has a lot to do with it. I just realized that there is a WinDVD version available for download (no trial - paid only) that claims to support BD/HD, and has much lower processor requirements as long as you have an nvidia card:

http://www.intervideo.com/nVidia/Win...n1_landing.jsp

Any idea why Corel does not display a link to this page on their product page? It's almost like they are trying to hide it.

It looks like WinDVD BD/HD offloads a lot of the work to the PureVideo hardware acceleration, which probably explains the lower processor horsepower requirement. It looks like this may be the perfect software for my setup with the new XFX 8500GT card. Does anyone have any recent experience with the WinDVD BD/HD software?

As an aside, for some reason I've always liked WinDVD better than PowerDVD - just seemed to work better for me, and has a cleaner interface. But that was based on playing standard def. content.

I'm trying to avoid having to build a whole new system. If it came to that, I'd be more likely to buy a set-top player. But I am willing to try an OC motherboard (Pentium D 805 is reported to get up to 3.2-3.4 GHz w/ 800MHz FSB pretty easily - but still hot, of course), OR maybe get a Pentium D 945 (which my mobo supports. Just not willing to do both until more titles are available on BD/HD.
post #200 of 327 Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 PM

That WinDVD looks like it's specific for 8500 and 8600 cards. I wonder if it would work with my 8800GT. I just got the drive today, from newegg. I'll be installing this evening. At this point, I'll be trying the cyberlink software and see what happens.

marty
post #201 of 327 Old 01-04-2008, 04:00 PM

I have a feeling the 8800GT cards would work too, but that's purely a guess. YMMV.

I called Corel today to find out if a Pentium D (dual cores @ 2.67GHz) would likely work when they recommend a minimum of Pentium 4 (single core @ 2.8GHz). I suspect that even though the clock speed is a little low, the second core could pick up system background tasks and allow WinDVD to have a dedicated core. She said try it and see and use 30 day money-back guarantee if I need to.

But then she told me that WinDVD is Vista only - will not work in XP, even though the website says it will (she said it must be a copy/paste error). I don't want to upgrade to Vista because I have too much other critical software that will break under Vista, so I may be stuck. Except that this girl sounded a little clueless because some of her explanations of technical issues were clearly wrong, and she said she was going by what coworkers were telling her, not by her first-hand knowledge.

Does anyone here have any experience using WinDVD Platinum BD/HD in XP? Does it work at all?
post #202 of 327 Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBrass View Post

Any idea why Corel does not display a link to this page on their product page? It's almost like they are trying to hide it.

The current owner (Corel) has this to say,

WinDVD 8 Platinum supports the playback of many high-definition video formats (H.264, VC1, HD MPEG-2, and WMV-HD etc) but it does not support the playback of HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc.
post #203 of 327 Old 01-04-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvista View Post

The current owner (Corel) has this to say,

WinDVD 8 Platinum supports the playback of many high-definition video formats (H.264, VC1, HD MPEG-2, and WMV-HD etc…) but it does not support the playback of HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc.

No, that's a different product. The phone rep was very explicit that "WinDVD 8 Platinum" and "WinDVD 8 Platinum BD/HD" are two separate and distinct products. There is no HD "plug-in module" for the former (as has been claimed elsewhere on this forum), and there is no upgrade path at this time. Furthermore, the BD/HD product is not available in a boxed retail version at this time - only by online download.

Most likely I am going to try the OEM PDVD if I buy the drive (unless someone confirms that WinDVD BD/HD does actually work on XP), and if I need more processing power I will buy a Pentium D 945 pull-out off ebay (which is the max processor that my mobo will support). This will get me by without buying and configuring a whole new HTPC. The main downside I will continue to have some fan noise because of the hot processor - would have been nice to get a cooler Conroe chip with quieter cooling system.
post #204 of 327 Old 01-05-2008, 12:49 AM

I installed my drive this evening. The install of the drive went without issue, XP immediately picked it up. And the install of the oem PowerDVD also went without a hitch. I just went ahead and did the update of both the firmware for the drive and the free upgrade for the software. I only have one BD title, Happy Feet, and it played perfectly. I will get a HD title tomorrow. I'm running a c2d e6750 at 8 X 450, 8800gt OC with aftermarket cooler. While running the dvd this evening, my 8800gt temps never exceeded 42C, cpu core temps were lower 30s, and cpu utilization averaged about 10%. There were absolutely no burps, lags, anything during the movie. PowerDVD ran just fine, very easy and intuitive software. Other than the autofirmware update, I only installed PowerDVD, none of the other programs that came on the disk.

Now I'm just running 2-channel sound , as it's all we've got for sound right now. I'm running my system on a 47" LG LB5D HDTV with sound from my computer outputted via an analog cable to the HDTV which then connects to an old Sony receiver and speakers. A more sophisticated sound system will be my next purchase. Is audio where the problems arise with this software, i.e., more sophisticated 5.1/7.1/optical out/dolby whatever (the audio end of all this is still a bit of a mystery to me)? Because so far, I have no gripes whatsoever. Thanks.

marty
post #205 of 327 Old 01-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post

I installed my drive this evening. The install of the drive went without issue, XP immediately picked it up. And the install of the oem PowerDVD also went without a hitch. ..."I just went ahead and did the update of both the firmware for the drive and the free upgrade for the software...."
marty

Marty,
what firmware and free upgrade software?

sgibson
post #206 of 327 Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Marty,
what firmware and free upgrade software?

sgibson

I found the LG Firmware AutoUpdate program on the included Cyberlink Disk. The update is for the Program itself (Auto Firmware Update Prgram Version: 5.01.0226.01)

The current firmware is: CD1:Model=GGC-H20L, Version=1.00
My LG was mfg: 12/05/2007
post #207 of 327 Old 01-05-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:

I found the LG Firmware AutoUpdate program on the included Cyberlink Disk. The update is for the Program itself (Auto Firmware Update Prgram Version: 5.01.0226.01)

The current firmware is: CD1:Model=GGC-H20L, Version=1.00
My LG was mfg: 12/05/2007

sg, correct, the update was for the program. I think they called it an upgrade, but it was just for PowerDVD. I'll have to check my firmware version (I'm on a different computer now). The manufacturing date for my drive also was December, 2007. I can't recall the exact day.

marty
post #208 of 327 Old 01-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post

sg, correct, the update was for the program. I think they called it an upgrade, but it was just for PowerDVD. I'll have to check my firmware version (I'm on a different computer now). The manufacturing date for my drive also was December, 2007. I can't recall the exact day.

marty

The date of firmware V. 1.00 is 9/28/2007. LG-GGC-H20L plays fine in WindowsXP, but has some issues in Vista: video stutter and 5.1 thru spdif.
Not sure if it's Vista, PowerDVD Ultra 7, Realtek HD Audio or Nvidia Geforce 8800GT's fault. Any word on LG firmware update....anybody?

sgibson
post #209 of 327 Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:

LG-GGC-H20L plays fine in WindowsXP, but has some issues in Vista: video stutter and 5.1 thru spdif.

When I built this system, I purposely went with XP Home. I've installed Vista Home Premium on another of my systems here at home, and while it's not as bad as some claim, I had enough concerns to go ahead with XP on this system (Gigabyte DS2R, e6750 at 450 X 8, GSkill 2 X 1g ddr2 6400, 8800GT, raptor 74/samsung spinpoint 320), and I'm glad I did.

marty
post #210 of 327 Old 01-05-2008, 12:18 PM

When I view in the standard minimal size it is fine. But when I expand it to anything larger its blurs on the bottom and right side. What gives?

e6420 2.13ghz
2 gb ram
BFG Nvidia 7950GT 512mb
powerDVD 7.3 all the current updates
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page