Blu-Ray or HDDVD that ouputs 480I with SD Discs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
DOA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a Player that will automatically output the native resoulution of the disc that is put into the player? Like some HD Cable Boxes and Dish Boxes do? This would optiumize playback with a scaler involved.

Thanks

LA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I don't think so. There are very few players that output a 480i signal over HDMI.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
DOA

Even if they output t over compotent, that would be better than upconverting it.

For the players that you mentioned outputing 480I over HDMI, were you refferring to Standard DVD players? Or are there some HD players that are doing it via menu options or somthing.

Thanks

Lance
post #4 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I only know of two SD players that output 480i via HDMI--Oppo makes one, as does Pioneer (at least, they did).

I use the internal processor of my projector to do all the "upconverting"--I feed my projector 480i via component from my SD DVD player (it has no HDMI output--it was rated as quite good at Secrets for interlaced, but only fair for prog scan, so I let the PJ (quite highly rated for its internal scaling and deinterlacing) to the work). I also feed my pj the "native" output of my HD PVR and let it do the scaling and deinterlacing (for the same reason). When I get a hi-def player, I will compare its 'upconverting" to the projector and go with the better one for SD DVD and I will send it which ever hi-def resolution looks best (it's a 720p projector).
post #5 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
DOA

that's not a bad plan. I'd just like to simplfy things for the wife and kids and use only one player.

It would be really nice if there was a player that always spit out native res. I have a DVDO VP50 that will do all my scaling.

Thanks

LA
post #6 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

The Toshiba HD-A2 and HD-A20 allow 480i output through HDMI. It's not automatic, however.

The HD-XA2 does not.

Still, the A20 has the same Anchor Bay VRS scaling processor as the VP50, so why bother.

Plus, it can do 1080p/24 output with film based SD DVD's and HD DVD's.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The A2, A20 and A30 can definitely... Not sure for A35 but pretty likely.

BTW, my E1 (A2) and EP10 (A20) here in Europe outputs 576i like a charm.

--Patrice

French speaking home theater
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 Old 10-03-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
DOA

VRS in the Tosh? I'm sure that's true, but can it produce the same video that a 3000 dollar scaler can?

Or is the term VRS being used like the term Faroudja was abused. Faroudja used to inducate quality scaling, but they started producing low end chips and capitalizing on their brand.

Does anyone know the Chip being used it the A20?
post #9 of 16 Old 10-03-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshelley61 View Post

The Toshiba HD-A2 and HD-A20 allow 480i output through HDMI. It's not automatic, however.

That's good to know. What do you have to do to get 480i? Do you have to manually select it every time, or does setting it on one SD DVD cover you permanently, while leaving HD DVD alone?

Like others, I'm planning on eventually using an external processor (Reon VX in the Onkyo 905) to do all my scaling, and figured 480i was safest--leave the scaling AND the IVTC to the processor that knows what it's doing. Unfortunately, my HD-A1 does not allow this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA View Post

Does anyone know the Chip being used it the A20?

ABT1018

Silence is Golden. Duct Tape is Silver.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
DOA

It might be using the 1018 Scaler, but I don't think its using the ABT102 Card. I think that would give the VP50 a step up. Worth the 3K differance, who knows.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Well, certainly the VP50 (being a high end standalone video processor) provides far more scaling options, settings, adjustments, can process a number of different incoming signals... the VRS processor in the A20 player only scales discs to 1280x720 or 1920x1080. So, obviously it is a limited function application of the chip.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 AM

New to the FORUM and wondering what is better DVD-HD or BLU-RAY?
I live in a small town with no BLCKBUSTER or MOVIE GALLERY.

Any thoughts?
post #13 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worty View Post

New to the FORUM and wondering what is better DVD-HD or BLU-RAY?
I live in a small town with no BLCKBUSTER or MOVIE GALLERY.

Any thoughts?

First of all, it is HDDVD, not DVD-HD. If you see DVD-HD on a DVD player, it is NOT an HDDVD player. An HDDVD player will say "HDDVD" on it, and HDDVD movies come in a "Red" case with an HDDVD logo at the top...in most cases.

On to your question...thats like asking, "Which is better, Male or Female". As most wise people know, it depends on your quality metric. Some (BD fans) would say "If it's bigger and could 'potentially' be better, then it's better". Other's (HD fans) would say "If it's available 'today' and can do the same thing for less money, it's better".

I say: If you are rich, buy both. If you are not, look at the catalogue of movies available on each and pick. If it's a wash with the movies, and money is a factor, go with HDDVD. If it's a wash with movies, and you're a "size matters" kinda person, go with Blu ray. Ultimately, they're more or less the same thing right now.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-07-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
DOA

Hey Guys,

Not to stir up an old post, but I just tested the Sony BDP-S2000ES Blu-ray player. Everything works well initially, but more importantly, it will output the Native Resolution of whatever disc you put in the player including 480i over HDMI!!!!

I don't know if that excites anyone else, but I'm ampped. Now we just need a Combo player that will do this.

-DOA
post #15 of 16 Old 12-07-2007, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
DOA

BTW, you have to select the output format on the player to Source Direct for this to work automatically. Pretty much the sweetest thing ever!

LA
post #16 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post

That's good to know. What do you have to do to get 480i? Do you have to manually select it every time, or does setting it on one SD DVD cover you permanently, while leaving HD DVD alone?

Like others, I'm planning on eventually using an external processor (Reon VX in the Onkyo 905) to do all my scaling, and figured 480i was safest--leave the scaling AND the IVTC to the processor that knows what it's doing. Unfortunately, my HD-A1 does not allow this.

ABT1018

I recall reading that the Lumagen VP, not sure if it is only the new one to be released, XD, or one of the current models regarding 480p via hdmi, is that it is able to deconstruct to native interlaced and then perform its own 'better' deinterlacing and scaling.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page