LG BH200 is already available at BB!!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 127 Old 10-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
threefirstnames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPyke View Post

I can confirm this. It decodes it 2 chan only. To my receiver it looks like 2 chan PCM. It does not currently send the bitstream via HDMI for sure.

only 2 channel? i was afraid of that. technically it meets the minimum HD DVD spec, but a player of that price should decode 5.1.

--kevin--
threefirstnames is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 127 Old 10-21-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
A/Vspec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPyke View Post

The salesman did go check with someone else. (Manager maybe?) The other guy came over and saw the price card and then I pointed out that the video for the display was not coming from the player so he said it was fine.

Just a helpful hint for those looking to try and do the same. Since the Bose display is new they will be reluctant to "break" it to sell a player but since The LG is not driving the video (It is setup to appear that it does) there should be no hassles unless you get someone really "by the book".

There was no "Do not sell" sticker or anything on the display BTW. I think someone else saw one at another BB.

You are indeed a lucky soul HyPyke. I am glad someone actually was able to get one and we are all lucky it was someone from AVS so that we can get some really life feedback on the unit!!

Thank you and keep it coming!!!

-Mark AKA A/Vspec
ISF certified Audio/Video Specialist

Home of the ISF and Audyssey Pro calibrated Medieval Knight Theater:
http://www.digitalvortex.com
A/Vspec is offline  
post #93 of 127 Old 10-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
ANGEL 35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a crutchfild catalog the Samsung BD-UP5000 is in there for $799. Bad news it has been delayed. For how long they do not know.

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
ANGEL 35 is offline  
post #94 of 127 Old 10-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Roger Mathus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, Oregon
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPyke View Post

The salesman did go check with someone else. (Manager maybe?) The other guy came over and saw the price card and then I pointed out that the video for the display was not coming from the player so he said it was fine.

Just a helpful hint for those looking to try and do the same. Since the Bose display is new they will be reluctant to "break" it to sell a player but since The LG is not driving the video (It is setup to appear that it does) there should be no hassles unless you get someone really "by the book".

There was no "Do not sell" sticker or anything on the display BTW. I think someone else saw one at another BB.

At the local Best Buy the LG player was not on the Bose/LG end cap. The sales person said that they had one LG BH200 in the back with bold lettering DEMO....DO NOT SELL. Last week the store said that they expected some stock on October 22.....but they did not show.
Roger Mathus is offline  
post #95 of 127 Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Newjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Queens, N.Y.
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was in the Best Buy in Brooklyn NY this afternoon, they had LG BH200 as part of the Bose demo. The unit was plugged into the outlet but not connected to the TV. I don't think the employees at Best Buy know what they have. I didn't have time to question a salesperson. The price was $999
Newjack is offline  
post #96 of 127 Old 10-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Member
 
HyPyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alpharetta, Ga.
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjack View Post

I was in the Best Buy in Brooklyn NY this afternoon, they had LG BH200 as part of the Bose demo. The unit was plugged into the outlet but not connected to the TV. I don't think the employees at Best Buy know what they have. I didn't have time to question a salesperson. The price was $999

Indeed this seems to be the case at most of the BB locations. Here is what I wrote in the review thread with a link to a picture of the setup-

Quote:


As for the reason it was not "hooked up", the player is not actually PART of the display. It is "on display" with the LG set and bose speakers. Since the player and all the buttons are easily accessible to people walking by, the looped video is fed from somewhere else. There is a panel with buttons that you can hit to select more information that then plays on the screen.

See the pic here.

HyPyke is offline  
post #97 of 127 Old 10-23-2007, 02:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Newjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Queens, N.Y.
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yup, that's the same setup that I saw yesterday.
Newjack is offline  
post #98 of 127 Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
CCDAstro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:


I have a crutchfild catalog the Samsung BD-UP5000 is in there for $799

That was an error and they are not honoring that price - according to another thread.

For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong.


H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
CCDAstro is offline  
post #99 of 127 Old 10-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Member
 
Dan_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is a major catch 22; aren't likely to have more sales until they have lower prices, and they aren't likely to have lower prices until they have more sales

-Dan
Dan_B is offline  
post #100 of 127 Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bootman_head_fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Nanny State
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDAstro View Post

That was an error and they are not honoring that price - according to another thread.

I spoke to a crutchfield rep today and the unit is not in the system yet.
No mention of it's an error or not honoring the price.
I know I asked.

So your mileage may vary.
bootman_head_fi is offline  
post #101 of 127 Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Roger Mathus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, Oregon
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The BH 200 is now on the Best Buy site and it says available at most stores. I checked several states and found it not available anywhere.
Roger Mathus is offline  
post #102 of 127 Old 10-24-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kevin C Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 3,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I got hooked up with a business to business person at BB. He said the player is "severely" backordered.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

Kevin C Brown is offline  
post #103 of 127 Old 10-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Member
 
elube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, Wa.
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After being unsuccessful at the first BB I went to they sold me their demo at the second one!
elube is offline  
post #104 of 127 Old 10-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Member
 
HyPyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alpharetta, Ga.
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elube View Post

After being unsuccessful at the first BB I went to they sold me their demo at the second one!

Cool Beans! Welcome to the club. Let us know what you think when you've had some time with it.

Also, What did you pay and what was the reason given when the other stores wouldn't sell? Did you get the manual?

Thanks.
HyPyke is offline  
post #105 of 127 Old 10-28-2007, 09:03 AM
 
TheHDMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in Acworth Georgia and they have one on display at the Magnolia Best Buy in Kennisaw on Barrett Parkway...I tried my best, but they would not sell it to me...
TheHDMan is offline  
post #106 of 127 Old 10-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Member
 
HyPyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alpharetta, Ga.
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHDMan View Post

I live in Acworth Georgia and they have one on display at the Magnolia Best Buy in Kennisaw on Barrett Parkway...I tried my best, but they would not sell it to me...

You may have to go to more than one. I got mine from the BB in Alpharetta near North Point so don't try that one.
HyPyke is offline  
post #107 of 127 Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 PM
 
TheHDMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPyke View Post

You may have to go to more than one. I got mine from the BB in Alpharetta near North Point so don't try that one.

So where is the review?...Break it down. Does this unit stream DTS-HD-MA? and the other codecs?...How is the PQ? and SQ?...Does it react faster than the competetion with loading and remote options?
TheHDMan is offline  
post #108 of 127 Old 10-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
kelpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHDMan View Post

So where is the review?...Break it down. Does this unit stream DTS-HD-MA? and the other codecs?...How is the PQ? and SQ?...Does it react faster than the competetion with loading and remote options?

You might want to read his thread:

LG BH200 Owner Review- By HyPyke
kelpie is offline  
post #109 of 127 Old 10-28-2007, 06:02 PM
 
TheHDMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

You might want to read his thread:

LG BH200 Owner Review- By HyPyke

Yeah thanks, but he really didn't confirm that it does in fact pass DTS-HD-MA...I need to hear that it does, right now pass it.
TheHDMan is offline  
post #110 of 127 Old 10-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
kelpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHDMan View Post

Yeah thanks, but he really didn't confirm that it does in fact pass DTS-HD-MA...I need to hear that it does, right now pass it.

Do you really "need to hear that it does, right now pass it", or do you need to hear whether it does?

Again, if you're so desperate you might want to take the time to read his thread. Seems to me he already answered best he could in his thread here. He even gave this link to support his answer.

HTH
kelpie is offline  
post #111 of 127 Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Member
 
HyPyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alpharetta, Ga.
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cannot confirm PERSONALLY that it passes DTS-HD-MA. I do not have a disc which has this kind of soundtrack. LG says it does. The manual says it does. That is all I can tell you.

I will let you know after the 20th of Nov when I buy the Die Hard movies. More than likely I will update the review thread and not this one.
HyPyke is offline  
post #112 of 127 Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Member
 
HyPyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alpharetta, Ga.
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From Here: http://us.lge.com/download/product/file/1000003288/h_bh200_spec_sheet%5B1%5D.pdf


Quote:


DTS-HD Master Audio (Core 5.1) •
DTS-HD Master Audio (7.1) •

HyPyke is offline  
post #113 of 127 Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 AM
JFI
Newbie
 
JFI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As of right now, the BH200 is up on the Circuit City web site for $799. However, it says "coming soon."

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/LG-Bl...oductDetail.do
JFI is offline  
post #114 of 127 Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHDMan View Post

I live in Acworth Georgia and they have one on display at the Magnolia Best Buy in Kennisaw on Barrett Parkway...I tried my best, but they would not sell it to me...

They can face massive fines if they do sell it to you. Best Buy made the mistake of selling some of the pre-release HD-DVD players to their yuppie clients and they got a big financial spanking in addition to some dismissals of employees. You don't want it anyway, because it's probably a crippled version of a product that will be functionally different when shipped if what I've been reading so far is true. I dunno why HyPyke decided to buy one but companies rarely send out fully functional demo units for products that are not ready to ship unless it's something like a TV. I remember the first HD-DVD demo players from Toshiba being nothing more than a crude representation of what the format was (of course we all remember the initial products being not much greater when released but that's another thread all together) and they ended up being a bit different than the product that was shipped. It's possible that firmware updates might fix these units if they are in fact crippled via their software but if they have different hardware on the inside than what is in the shipping product, you are SOL.
LexInVA is online now  
post #115 of 127 Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Member
 
HyPyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alpharetta, Ga.
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

They can face massive fines if they do sell it to you. Best Buy made the mistake of selling some of the pre-release HD-DVD players to their yuppie clients and they got a big financial spanking in addition to some dismissals of employees. You don't want it anyway, because it's probably a crippled version of a product that will be functionally different when shipped if what I've been reading so far is true. I dunno why HyPyke decided to buy one but companies rarely send out fully functional demo units for products that are not ready to ship unless it's something like a TV. I remember the first HD-DVD demo players from Toshiba being nothing more than a crude representation of what the format was (of course we all remember the initial products being not much greater when released but that's another thread all together) and they ended up being a bit different than the product that was shipped. It's possible that firmware updates might fix these units if they are in fact crippled via their software but if they have different hardware on the inside than what is in the shipping product, you are SOL.

OMG. Guys, this is not a DEMO UNIT. It is simply one of the first off the line. The manufacture date is October 2007. They simply shipped the first players off the line as part of this BOSE display. There is nothing "crippled" about this player. Not sure how many times I have to repeat that. It is FEATURE COMPLETE. The fact that it won't play certain discs without a firmware update is something the LG BH100 can lay claim to and it has been out for almost a year.

LG says that the players will be out soon. Which means they need to be manufactured, packaged and shipped to the end location. That could take a month or more. So when they show up on shelves this nov or dec the manufacture date will be....OCTOBER.

I also regged my player over the phone with customer service. It has a serial number you know.

If I'd had any indication that this was anything but the real thing I would have returned it.
HyPyke is offline  
post #116 of 127 Old 10-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Aguapolo17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey HyPyke, so after over a week, are you happy with the purchase? Any regrets you didn't want for the Samsung UP5000, or are you thinking you may sell this player and buy the Samsung when it comes out?
Aguapolo17 is offline  
post #117 of 127 Old 10-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Member
 
HyPyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alpharetta, Ga.
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguapolo17 View Post

Hey HyPyke, so after over a week, are you happy with the purchase? Any regrets you didn't want for the Samsung UP5000, or are you thinking you may sell this player and buy the Samsung when it comes out?

I am happy with the performance, yes. If the firmware updates are as big a problem as they have been to the BH100 owners I will not be happy. So far all my discs will play.

I don't see myself selling the LG at this point. Based on what I have read Samsung is even worse about releasing FW updates than LG so I don't see their new player as a step up for me personally.
HyPyke is offline  
post #118 of 127 Old 10-30-2007, 05:25 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Didn't Samsung issue a Fox fix relatively quickly, though? LG owners are still waiting if I'm not mistaken.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #119 of 127 Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Member
 
pettit03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I work at BB in Colorado and have had the LG/Bose display for a couple weeks now with no word yet of when we will actually get the BH200 in. Funny thing was that when we put it on display the BH100 was 799.99 and the BH200 was 999.99 lately the price for both ended up at 999.99. Reminds me of when the 2nd Gen Sony came out 699 the 1st gen and 499 2nd gen.
pettit03 is offline  
post #120 of 127 Old 10-31-2007, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wnorris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received this info on the LG player from an industry correspondant:

Quote:


I just spoke to LG, and they say that it [BH200] won't be officially available till mid-November. They also noted that that Profile 1.1 will be added later as a firmware upgrade.

wnorris is offline  
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off