Question on what to buy for my 720p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-19-2007, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a 50 inch Panasonic ttu 720p. What should I buy Blue ray or HD player. I AM NEW AT THIS SO ANY INFO WOULD HELP.

tHANSK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-21-2007, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Welcome to AVS, ggtygug.

If you are a HD fan and can afford it, buy both.

If you are a gamer get a PS3 for Blu-ray, and the HD-DVD add on for the Xbox 360.

Not a gamer?

Buy a stand alone player for each format and enjoy!

Or buy a dual format player.

Several choices, and different factors regarding player capabilities, price, etc.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #3 of 5 Old 10-22-2007, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hi ggtygug. Since you've posted in the forum dedicated to discussions about players that play both formats (this is not a "Blu-ray vs. HD DVD" forum) you'll of course likely encounter people who think that owning players for both formats is best.

Blasst gave good advice. Keep in mind that while some studios release films in both formats, several studios only release their movies either in one format or the other- not both. If you can only buy a player for one format, be sure to research the films that you want to watch and make sure that they'll be available for the player that you decide buy.

HTH
post #4 of 5 Old 10-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Zoo

Liked: 11
To get started with HDM a Toshiba A-2 or A-3 makes an interesting choice as these output 1080i and 720p. They can also be found under $300! If you can wait a bit the upcoming Samsung 5000 sounds like a nice unit and it is a dual format player.

As you can see from my signature I don't have a HDM player yet and from what I am seeing I think both formats are going to be with us for a long time. I see the future as dual format/universal players and the Samsung 5000 looks like the first player that will be able to both both formats properly. Maybe wait a month or so and see how the first hand reports and reviews of the Sammie 5000 play out and go from there.

I would rather have one dual format player than dedicated HD-DVD and Blu-ray players to save space in my A/V cabinet. It is already full with an older Hi-Fi VHS, CD player, 3 head Denon cassette deck etc. In an ideal world I would find a really nice dual format/universal player that could outperform my higher end CD player.

Recent Wii owner. Enjoying HD up in the "Great White North"
post #5 of 5 Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You can get the HD-A2 from Amazon for $225 right now with 5 free movies.

My own personal recommendation is to wait on purchasing a BR player until they finish there format which right now is split into four profiles and all current players are using the first profile.

However if you going into it with eyes why open that you may have to replace it in the future I would say the PS3 is probably the best player for its money although some more expensive stand alone players might give you more advanced audio options
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page